As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Gigantic: It’s BACK and not remotely available!

BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
edited April 11 in Games and Technology
http://www.gogigantic.com/

https://youtu.be/E9J98V8B63U?si=1z5xl-YsfLSq62ND

The game is a third person action game with many elements borrowed from MOBA play (See thread title) and a charming art style. The "twist" is that each "base" is actually a gigantic monster that moves and behaves of its own accord that has to be protected by each team. FUN!

Game was a moba that died back in 2018, but has been revived by Gearbox in 2024. More details to come!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zMDeSteqhM

PSN: Waybackkidd
"...only mights and maybes."
Sterica on

• The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    If Smite has taught me anything, it's that MOBA does not mix well with 3rd person action.

With Love and Courage
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    If Smite has taught me anything, it's that MOBA does not mix well with 3rd person action.

If SMNC has taught me anything it's that you can make mobas fun by using fps elements

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I've been waiting for Alpha to go live for a while. The base being a giant roving monster is kinda neat and I really dug on MNC even if it did have a short life so it'd be neat to get something like that again.

Oh and dibs on the mech. :smiley:

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    @The Ender‌ having played MNC but not smite, what about the 3rd person elements caused problems?

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    I really love the art style of this. I registered for the alpha or whatever so hopefully I'll get to play it some day.

• BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Honestly to me it looks more like a team arena action game with a MOBA coat of paint. Which isn't really a bad thing. There's a certain verticality going on in the gameplay here that opens up a wealth of opportunities for strategic play and clutch moments

They just unveiled two more heroes yesterday

hero_imani.png?v=1e1fa3d9381f16f61081288730d52756

hero_vadasi.png?v=1e1fa3d9381f16f61081288730d52756

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Smite was no good because it was exactly LoL\dota in third person. They didn't try anything new.

What is this I don't even.
    edited September 2014
    Oosiks have played this.

Hands on report as follows.

First off: This is not a MOBA. Not even close. There are no lanes, there are no creeps, there are no set towers to destroy, there are no items to buy and the base mechanics work nothing like a normal MOBA. The only thing this has in common with a MOBA is that your character levels up and I guess you could call the map an "arena."

On the map there are nodes your team can capture. The more nodes you capture the faster your team's kaiju Guardian builds rage. Once your Guardian's rage meter fills up it will then stomp over to kick the enemy Guardian in the dick, opening it up for your team to try and press into the enemy base to damage it. If after 15 minutes there is no winner, the action moves to a much smaller area where Guardian attacks happen much more frequently and the combat gets really crazy due to the close proximity.

The classes are super varied, each with its own distinct style of play so there's guaranteed to be someone in the cast you like. The combat is fun because it's not a spray and pray game. Some characters are more lenient than others due to their abilities but generally aiming ability is actually relevant here in a big way. Each character is very role specific so really getting into the nitty gritties of how they perform is pretty important. It is, dare I say it, "role warfare."
    EDIT: Each team can only have one of each character. My old, now incorrect, info is, I think, based on some videos from some old builds.

It's a really damn fun game and Kusmeroglu, Mvrck, Notorious Ben, Kaboodles, and myself all had a ball trying it.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    Nice! Thanks for the detailed info

• The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    @The Ender‌ having played MNC but not smite, what about the 3rd person elements caused problems?

Apparently not relevant to this game, and a lot of this is going to be personal preference stuff, but:

- Skillshots are extremely fiddly when your camera is essentially fused to the torso of a character, and you have to physically turn to position your caster UI. A lot of Smite involves this fiddly skillshot mechanic.

- Map awareness is just crippled and map control is almost non-existent. A fixed camera really strips away the impact of warding - in a game like MNC, this isn't a big deal because the maps are designed to accommodate the change in perspective, but Smite still uses a variant on the old Summoner's Rift map, and that shit is not designed with third person in mind.

- Players game the camera more than they game anything else. Some little bastard will get behind you where you cannot deal with them because lol 3rd person camera and kill you, and it will feel extremely cheap every time it happens.

- The spectacle of the team fight is lost because you no longer have a bird's eye view of the action. Instead you'll be staring directly into a tornado of particle effects, sometimes making sense of it, sometimes not, but never feeling like you're part of anything to write home about.

- in a genre that is already PUG unfriendly, Smite takes the cake for worst experience without voice communication. It's very difficult to read what a given teammate is about to do before it's too late, and then comes the usual river of toxic MOBA obscenities.

In a nuthsell, it doesn't work for the same reason most FPS / 3PS spins on RTS games don't work: the genre hinges on information that is provided to the player via putting them in the sky overlooking the battlefield. To do it right (like MNC, for example), you basically have to rebuild the whole thing from the ground up & make the MOBA part secondary to the shooter part.

With Love and Courage
    Speaking of which. At each capture point you can choose what sort of thing you want to spawn there. So you can spawn essentially a ward that displays enemies within its range on the minimap, or a thing that heals teammates, or a big ass fire drake that just sits there and pikes fire on anything that gets to close, and there are a few other things. The catch is that each thing had its own summon time so some things are fast and something like the fire drake takes like a minute and a half and if I remember right someone needs to hang around while it summons so unless the whole team wants to sit there that person will be busy while the thing summons. Each thing you can summon is really useful so all the mechanics together make it so that you really nerd to think about what to put and where.

wWuzwvJ.png
    edited August 2014
    Oh, and Oosiks are heading to a private Gigantic party tonight in Gigantic's sooper seekrit media area to talk the devs, drink, and play the game some more. Prolly more impressions to follow after that.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Devs were doing the pub stomp on players with the same 5 for every match.

I asked them to pick characters they don't normally play, they conceded in letting me pick their lineup and who would be that line up.

we held our own until the game crashed.

oosiks... We were the only team to not lose :D

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    The Ender wrote: »

Apparently not relevant to this game, and a lot of this is going to be personal preference stuff, but:

- Skillshots are extremely fiddly when your camera is essentially fused to the torso of a character, and you have to physically turn to position your caster UI. A lot of Smite involves this fiddly skillshot mechanic.

- Map awareness is just crippled and map control is almost non-existent. A fixed camera really strips away the impact of warding - in a game like MNC, this isn't a big deal because the maps are designed to accommodate the change in perspective, but Smite still uses a variant on the old Summoner's Rift map, and that shit is not designed with third person in mind.

- Players game the camera more than they game anything else. Some little bastard will get behind you where you cannot deal with them because lol 3rd person camera and kill you, and it will feel extremely cheap every time it happens.

- The spectacle of the team fight is lost because you no longer have a bird's eye view of the action. Instead you'll be staring directly into a tornado of particle effects, sometimes making sense of it, sometimes not, but never feeling like you're part of anything to write home about.

- in a genre that is already PUG unfriendly, Smite takes the cake for worst experience without voice communication. It's very difficult to read what a given teammate is about to do before it's too late, and then comes the usual river of toxic MOBA obscenities.

In a nuthsell, it doesn't work for the same reason most FPS / 3PS spins on RTS games don't work: the genre hinges on information that is provided to the player via putting them in the sky overlooking the battlefield. To do it right (like MNC, for example), you basically have to rebuild the whole thing from the ground up & make the MOBA part secondary to the shooter part.

These are all just the weirdest criticisms that are basically just "I don't like change!" that I've ever heard about Smite.

Skillshots are skillshots, they work like aiming in any other 3rd person action game. The only thing that can be a little wonky is if you get stunned and turn your camera, because then your character and camera can be facing different directions for a moment, but as soon as you start moving, your character will immediately return to facing the same direction as the camera. I'm just happy to be able to control my character directly and not have to click-fest to play a game.

The challenges in awareness are part of what make it interesting. The minimap still functions exactly the same way however, and it is an important tool because of that. There's no change in the way warding is impacted, they still give vision on the minimap, though additionally vision from wards or allies allows you to see revealed gods as a silhouette through walls, which can aid you in landing abilities over walls. A change some months back actually made it so that when an enemy enters ward range, the ward will ping the minimap audibly and visibly to call your attention to it as well.

Your third point is just weird. Yes, there are a lot of advantages in getting behind an opponent, some abilities give benefits to being behind an opponent. But the idea that "you cannot deal with them"? Turn around!

Your description of the spectacle of the team fight being lost exactly describes every time I see a teamfight in DotA or LoL. It's a mass of pixels and particle effects. It has nothing to do with perspective and everything to do with becoming familiar with the game and learning to recognize the different abilities and their signs, which basically just comes in time with playing the game. I won't say that big team fights aren't chaotic in Smite, because they certainly are, but it's no different than any other MOBA.

Your last point sounds exactly like something from someone who didn't even know that the VGS existed, because it has been around since the beginning and is the exact solution to fast communication to teammates without voice comms being available. It lets you call out a ton of commands to give information to your teammates in just a few keystrokes that become verbal callouts in the game. VF2 would call "Enemy Missing Middle", VCC would call "Be careful!", VVB calls "Be Right Back", etc. There are literally 50-100 things you can call out in only 3 or 4 keystrokes, it's really a nice system.

That said, Smite has joined as one of the games supported by Curse Voice, which is a pretty neat system. Not everyone uses it, but even if they don't, you can still communicate with the VGS with people who aren't on voice.

If by 'doesn't work' you mean, is growing in popularity nicely to the point that Hirez has been able to more than double the size of the company in the past year or so, has expanded its coverage to include separate regions for China as well as South America and is set to host a world tournament with a decent sized prize pool with qualifiers from all 4 current regions in January, then yes, Smite doesn't work at all as a 3rd person MOBA. I wish all games could fail as hard as Smite has. :P

Dranyth on
  • MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    SO, things we learned tonight:
    1. The devs were fucking amazing and super friendly. Top to bottom, every single person I talked to was amazing. I want to say cordial, but that doesn't even cover it. They were enthusiastic as fuck about what they do.
    2. They seem to genuinely care about player feedback. I was spittballing ideas with a few of them, and they were eating them up and iterating on them like we were kids trying to think up the most awesome super hero. It was hella cool and fun.
    3. The game itself is incredibly fun. The heroes they have so far are unique, with some pretty varied abilities. This is not like LoL, Smite, or anything else. Or to quote one of the Motiga people discussing reviews trying to classify it: "It's not a fucking MOBA"

There's honestly a bit much and it's a bit late to talk about it all, but if anyone has specific questions, please ask. A lot of us got to discuss a lot of topics in terms of development, so someone probably has an answer to whatever questions you have.

Devs are awesome.

Doubly so when shitty drunk.

Triply so when we're shitty drunk too.

I also edited a prior post due to some incorrect information.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    I played this too, it is refreshing and awesome, but that could have been because I won the two times I've played it. It almost feels more like a full game than an Alpha in terms of polish but some features are definitely missing. Overall I feel that, gameplay encourages team play not unlike TF2 and I can see it go in a similar direction.

Two things stood out to me: Control points and Skill points
    1) Teams gain control by summoning creatures on the control point. Each creature has a different immediate and long term effect and also affects end game.

Control points also help your guardian attack more frequently so you can score a hit on the other team's guardian. Having to wait on your guardian to win isn't too bad and I kinda like how it makes player characters seem not the most powerful characters in the game, enforcing the fact that you need teamwork to bring the enemy down, like a Raid Boss.

2) All the skills are available when you start the game while ult charges up over time. Every level gives you a point to add to your skills AND/OR Attack, Defence, Movespeed/Stamina and an unknown category. Adding points to your skills augment them, like giving your jump an extra aoe at the point where you jump rather than a stat increase.

Can't wait for the Alpha to start. Very tight feel, very speedy gameplay.

UrQuanLord88 on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • KusmerogluKusmeroglu Consumer Glue (aka Petra) Registered User regular
    Something that's been left out so far which is Very Important (tm) is that the game doesn't drag on. Action gets going within 30 seconds. Super lopsided matches are maybe 9-10 minutes, avg matches that we saw are around 15-20 mins, and the one epically close match we had was 39 mins, which is one of the longer matches they had seen all PAX. (The devs that were helping teach the game were getting super meta competitive with each other, which was fun). At 15 mins or 1/3 guardian health (I think?) the whole match shifts into a much smaller area that's designed to speed things up and move the game along. Also, there are no more summons in the 'clash room', which swings competition more to kills, also making things feel faster.

x5jS9QJ.png
    Oh also, the plans for guilds include having a guild guardian that is customized/skinned as the guild sees fit.

x5jS9QJ.png
  • AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    I'm all over this when I am allowed to be.

Thread title changed. Mad props to the Oosiks for being all over this

@TOGSolid Would you say the game is more set up like an arena shooter? Opportunities for play based on map control and team comp/personal skill?

When we pressed them on what genera they consider the game, I think what we got was 'Team fight.' I talked to the CTO/cofounder, he was super cool, when I asked him about it, he listed off a lot of genres of games that he had worked on in his career and said that he wanted to pull his favorite elements from each and make something that's just really fun to play. I think they're pretty strongly resisting being slotted into the MOBA category because there's a lot of elements of the existing games there that they don't think are really all that fun.

x5jS9QJ.png
    I'm going to pin one of the devs down today and ask some more questions, if anyone has anything I'll try to load the forums up. No promises, the intertube airwaves are pretty jammed up with all the pax.

x5jS9QJ.png
  • UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Motiga is full of senior people from other studios
    like arenasnet
    TF2 is a more appropriate comparison imo
    Also, please sign up for the Alpha

UrQuanLord88 on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    I gotta say, this game looks intriguing. Alpha signup, complete!

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    This looks like it could be pretty good.

I signed up back when I saw some random video on it a month or so ago. I'm looking forward to this one.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Didn't quite get me at "this is not a MOBA", but it was a close thing.

Fortunately, "kaiju Guardian" was there to hook me.

And this is a timely thing, too. I was just lamenting how I didn't have anything to replace MWO now that the Clan tech is making fights even less giant-robot-slugfesty than ever.

EDIT: DAMMIT, ALPHA INVITE, WHERE ARE YOU?! I signed up literally minutes ago. I demand my instant gratification!

EDIT EDIT: SUPPORT MY CHILDISH IMPATIENCE, GETH.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    I played about eight games over the course of PAX so here's the rundown on some of the characters I've played and fought against.

400px-GiganticTheMargrave.jpg
    The Margrave. By far my favorite character in this game. The guy is a walking slab of armor and in a hand-to-hand straight up fight, he cannot be beaten. He simply has too much frontal armor. His molten arm transforms into a battleaxe for when he gets swinging and he reminds me of Soul Edge from Soul Calibur. He's simple to understand how to use, but to maximize kills and minimize deaths requires an inhuman understanding of his capabilities, or you'll basically be a 1.2 to 1.3 Kill : Death ratio person. In a game with heavy emphasis on kills, you don't want to be a feeder.

That said, this guy is an incredible blocker, nobody save King Knossos stands taller than Margrave, so your team can actually use you as the meat shield you are. When the guardian was weakened from the enemy attack, I've literally prevented all ranged damage from hitting him because Margrave is bigger than the weak spot on a Guardian.

All of his attacks require him to be close to unleash the hurt, his main attack is simply swinging an axe around, but the 3 augments let you hit harder, swing farther, and add a final swing that momentarily stuns enemies, perfect for keeping them from getting away.

Margrave may not have ranged attacks, but that doesnt mean he's a sure sniper kill. A good Margrave will make use of Spinning Chain to reflect all ranged damage back at the attacker. Yes, even special ranged spells if they follow a flight path. But Margrave can't keep it up forever. It has 3 augments, one lets him use it twice as long before cooldown, another lets him use it and maintain normal speed, and I forget the third...

Then there is Margrave's Dash Attack. He can cover a scarey amount of distance quick, and watching a dev play, if you time a jump properly you can ramp up stairs and practically cross a room before you come down from the speed. press the dash key again during the dash and you'll hit someone. Its the perfect way to close and engage or run away from a fight if need be.

Margrave's Leap let's you stun your opponent. Augments let you stun longer or in a wider area. Very useful.

Margrave's Ultimate is a devastating smash attack. the 1 augment on it lets you increase your fellow Hero's armor by 100 points for about 20 or so seconds. that's a big deal because even squishy casters can take quite a few hits with that much armor.

400px-GiganticXenobia.jpg
    As far as character conceptions go, Xenobia is my second favorite character and one that I intend to learn how to play well after I've had my fill of Margrave for a bit. Xenobia is basically Ursula's younger, hotter sister >.>
    She is a mid-range debilitating support character and by far one of the more complex characters to play due to her inherent caster squishy-ness and requirement to set up kills.

Her main attack is a life drain ability and if you've fired laser weapons Mechwarrior Online, you will note that she requires excellent mouse tracking to keep her life drain going. Margrave, Tyto, and Tripp swing wildly, HK-206 and Imani the Sniper require you to lead your shots, Xenobia needs you to remain on-target or she'll stutter her cast. Still, it is most fun to keep just enough away from a melee hero and watch them cut away the health you stole from them.

Her second attack breaks Armor, perfect for fighting beastly brawlers.
    She has an AOE that breaks attack power as well, and when aug'd will mire even the most agile heroes in black tar to be shot apart by your team.

Xenobia's ultimate ability is a curse that is applied to the enemy that weakens and opens them up to more hurt. Also, your allies heal up the damage they inflict on those cursed enemies.

More to come later, unless one of the other Oosiks beats me to it.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
    For the record, the community manager fucking loves the thread title.

wWuzwvJ.png
    Is it Aether? Love that guy. I was real bummed when he had to leave Carbine

• FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Thread title got my attention. Game details sealed my interest. Good stuff!

Beezel wrote: »

I don't know what handle he goes by, he was introduced to us as "The Legendary Troy" by one of the programmers. Mostly just Troy though.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    For the record, the community manager fucking loves the thread title.
    In this vein, watching the vids (which has not helped my impatience AT ALL) actually makes me think of Evolve. The combat is symmetrical here, but it's still centered around high-mobility gameplay with diverse skillsets in a large game space with victory determined by defeating a giant monster.

Now, the way that stuff applies and the visuals are wildly different here, but I'm still put more in mind of Evolve than any MOBA I can think of. Which means this is something pretty awesomely unique.

Mvrck wrote: »
    Beezel wrote: »

I don't know what handle he goes by, he was introduced to us as "The Legendary Troy" by one of the programmers. Mostly just Troy though.

Troy Hewitt! Same guy, awesome and good at his job.

I'm still working on a much bigger write up for later, but the thing that excites me most about this game, compared to a lot of other F2P games?

They already have almost 100 people working on the game. They've got fucking resources to throw at it, which bodes well for being able to actually hit deadlines.

• ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    The thread title and feedback from the thread regarding the game has me very interested.

My question is... What's oosiks? >_>

76561197966849367.png
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    Sounds cool - playstyle of TF2 with the ability variance of a MOBA.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Zetx wrote: »
    The thread title and feedback from the thread regarding the game has me very interested.

My question is... What's oosiks? >_>

some of the posters in this thread have signatures designating themselves as part of the oosik irregulars

they are the oosiks

liEt3nH.png