As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

YouTube's the next contestant!

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Mysst wrote: »
    I, uh, never played god of war. what the fuck

The bit she mentions is really fucked up. But you do something worse to a guy in the first game.

In 1, you come across a part of Pandora's Temple that requires you literally sacfifice someone to a fire trap in order to open the way. You find a guy locked in a cage that you can then move into the trap while fighting off monsters in the way.

The guy pleads with you to not kill him the entire time you've moving him along, and then you get to watch him scream bloody murder as he's burned alive.

There's no achievement for it, but achievements were barely a thing in January 2005 (If at all), so yeah.

It's really fucked up for sure, but that's the whole point of those games. Kratos is really fucked up and does crazy violent shit. But I feel like just pointing out the parts where it happens to women and suggesting that this is signs of violence against women specifically? That just seems like bullshit to me.

There are plenty of points in video games where women are treated really badly in video games in ways that men aren't, and God of War isn't a good example of that, at least not for the reason she's trying to highlight.

It's like that bit from her last vid where she's highlighting how you can kill women and drag bodies around in games like Dishonored and shit, as if the fact that you can do it to women is problematic, even though you're just as capable of inflicting this violence onto male characters.

She needs to point out where it differentiates, not where it just happens, period.

Man the whole point of that video is while these things are happening, the women are sexualized while the men are not.

The dude in God of War didn't have his dick hanging out the whole time

#pipe on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    That is fair.

But, just going by the way she's describing it at that point in the vid, as though what makes it bad is how she's being used to further his goals, like an object.

Which is true, but not really much more true (if at all) than with the men he murders in his path.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    also ohmygosh Opal is awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzoe8OVLvrQ

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Kratos is a mass-murdering Jason Vorhees-level invincible monster. He doesn't care who he hurts or kills.

He's also very much channeling the greek/roman demigods mythically asshole-ish bad behavior

Which is not to say that the game developers should suddenly be getting a free pass to do whatever they want, anymore than modern noir writers should be getting free passes to write sexist depictions of dames, to reference a discussion in a different thread.

But he does need to be at least understood within that context.

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=OsGCMhBmcO4

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    there is no way clicking on that wouldn't make me just sad

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »

The bit she mentions is really fucked up. But you do something worse to a guy in the first game.

In 1, you come across a part of Pandora's Temple that requires you literally sacfifice someone to a fire trap in order to open the way. You find a guy locked in a cage that you can then move into the trap while fighting off monsters in the way.

The guy pleads with you to not kill him the entire time you've moving him along, and then you get to watch him scream bloody murder as he's burned alive.

There's no achievement for it, but achievements were barely a thing in January 2005 (If at all), so yeah.

It's really fucked up for sure, but that's the whole point of those games. Kratos is really fucked up and does crazy violent shit. But I feel like just pointing out the parts where it happens to women and suggesting that this is signs of violence against women specifically? That just seems like bullshit to me.

There are plenty of points in video games where women are treated really badly in video games in ways that men aren't, and God of War isn't a good example of that, at least not for the reason she's trying to highlight.

It's like that bit from her last vid where she's highlighting how you can kill women and drag bodies around in games like Dishonored and shit, as if the fact that you can do it to women is problematic, even though you're just as capable of inflicting this violence onto male characters.

She needs to point out where it differentiates, not where it just happens, period.

Man the whole point of that video is while these things are happening, the women are sexualized while the men are not.

maybe he should have

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »

I tried to, but the title then includes the phrase Creepypasta, so it doubled down on me NOPE-ing the fuck outta there

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Paladin wrote: »
    #pipe wrote: »

maybe he should have

You definitely shouldn't let Kratos anywhere near your dick

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

I tried to, but the title then includes the phrase Creepypasta, so it doubled down on me NOPE-ing the fuck outta there

why?
    I kind of skipped around the video it was just a picture of someone's house full of stuff like a hoarder while they talked about something.

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular

It's just narration, no jump scares or fucked up images.

Now it's an extremely awful and sad story but not really scary.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Kratos is a mass-murdering Jason Vorhees-level invincible monster. He doesn't care who he hurts or kills.
    That is fair.

But, just going by the way she's describing it at that point in the vid, as though what makes it bad is how she's being used to further his goals, like an object.

Which is true, but not really much more true (if at all) than with the men he murders in his path.

God of War is 100% not the series to try and pass off as "he's not misogynistic, he kills EVERYBODY".

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    For the life of I cannot find the snl skit of Colon blow but I did find this
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdMwTLbboBQ

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Oh hey, Extra History is coming back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZPT-sCSFq0

Neato

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I love that artist's interpretation of Sasquatch.

For some reason I'm reminded of the King of All Cosmos.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I love tampopo. It is fucking crazy.

• Options
    KING LITERATEKING LITERATE Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    A long time ago, I posted a video about a horribly adorable family doing a Will Smith song, "Christmas Jammies"

Well, they came out with another video, "Baby got Class"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s56-Ta35JRk#t=120
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiyLtMPuWRA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAUBAc-RCJs

KING LITERATE on
    Diamond FC: 3867 1354 8291
    TWITTER TWATS
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    A long time ago, I posted a video about a horribly adorable family doing a Will Smith song, "Christmas Jammies"

Well, they came out with another video, "Baby got Class"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s56-Ta35JRk#t=120
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiyLtMPuWRA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAUBAc-RCJs

Wow, you have got to be a special kind of stupid to be trying to prank people in the ghetto.

edit: and after looking at some of these "pranks" a lot of people think a prank is just acting like an asshole in public with a camera on.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

That dude has the biggest pair of glasses on I've ever seen.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Why people gotta wear greenscreen shirts.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
  • Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Stilts wrote: »
    I

Uh

Was a bit disappointed by the transgender joke.

Like, I get that it was wordplay rather than "haha, transgender people!"

But man, that word just made me reflexively grimace.

If only people would be this sensitive to the word "retard", though frankly there are no limits in the realm of comedy and if something as innocuous as that joke made you grimace I have to question your sense of humor.

Bubby on
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Bubby wrote: »
    I

Uh

If only people would be this sensitive to the word "retard", though frankly there are no limits in the realm of comedy and if something as innocuous as that joke made you grimace I have to question your sense of humor.

First of all, I refuse to use that word you just mentioned because I am sensitive to it. I'm sensitive to all pejoratives that punch down.

Second of all, "questioning my sense of humor?" Really? How on earth do you say that first part of your sentence and then in the next breath be condescending about the exact same problem?

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I

Uh

First of all, I refuse to use that word you just mentioned because I am sensitive to it. I'm sensitive to all pejoratives that punch down.

Second of all, "questioning my sense of humor?" Really? How on earth do you say that first part of your sentence and then in the next breath be condescending about the exact same problem?

My bad, I just feel like in broad strokes there's a lot of hypocrisy going on with the continued lack of care with how the R word is used, while you can't really say the T word at all on the internet without people tearing you into a million pieces. Context is important and I'd say both words could be used in the right joke (like here), it just totally depends. Didn't really mean to direct the first part at you, and I take back the sense of humor questioning.

Bubby on
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Well, whatever it was it's already gone. What was it @Grey Ghost?

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Well, it was a 2-year-old girl getting a bucket of cold water dumped on her and then yelling FUCKIN' HELL

• Options
    QuestionMarkManQuestionMarkMan Registered User regular
    PAX RUMBLE IS ALMOST HERE!
    Dr. Tracksuit's Promo
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgvlZcUmeso&feature=youtu.be

Colon DeeStroyer's Promo
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4q04lzBPGSo
    (I am proud to say that this one is the result of me emailing Brad this past weekend and practically ordering him to make it)

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
  • Options
    LockoutLockout I am still searching Registered User regular
    I

Uh

My bad, I just feel like in broad strokes there's a lot of hypocrisy going on with the continued lack of care with how the R word is used, while you can't really say the T word at all on the internet without people tearing you into a million pieces. Context is important and I'd say both words could be used in the right joke (like here), it just totally depends. Didn't really mean to direct the first part at you, and I take back the sense of humor questioning.

Just to make sure, you're aware that the people who don't like use of the t word are probably not the same ones using the r word with a lack of care? Also speaking in broad strokes.

And people who are sensitive to those words will probably disagree that they could be used in the right joke, but it's subjective. The t word especially hits me in the stomach regardless of the context

f24GSaF.jpg
  • Options
    KING LITERATEKING LITERATE Registered User regular
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Weird 80's throwback Microsoft recruitment videos from 2008:

This discussion has been closed.