As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PRIME] Console Tournaments for Prime!

BrainsBrains Console Tournament ManagerRegistered User regular
Hey All,

This is the usual rules post for Console Tournaments.

First: Signups for a given tournament starts on the day of the tournament.

Second: Signups start at 10am each day.

Third: All tournaments are single-elimination.
- We know this is rough, but we only have so much time.

Practice time is from 10am-11am for the tournaments of that day.

Let me know if you have any questions.

That said, we’ll get into the games (ordered by day):

Friday

11am - Geometry Wars 2
4-way Free for all
Mode: Deadline

12pm - Marvel Vs. Capcom 3: Ultimate (360)
Bring Your Own Stick
Unusual controllers subject to community review.

1pm - Super Puzzle Fighter
X’ Mode

2pm - Halo Reach
4-way Free for all
Basic MLG rules
Single map

3pm - Towerfall Ascension
4-way Free for all

5pm - Burnout Crash!
Mode: Rush Hour
No Elite Vehicles

6pm - Double Dash
2v2, 100cc

7pm - Tetris Attack
Level 7 start

8pm - Smash Bros Brawl
3 stock, 8 mins
No Items
This tournament has two parts, the second part starts at 10pm. The winners of each part will play Grand Finals at the end of the second part.

9pm - 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil
Short games (need to be sub 8 mins).
Help me out here guys, what are good Fifa rules?

10pm - Brawl part 2

Saturday

11am - Goldeneye (N64)
4-way Free for all

12pm - BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma
Unlimited Characters banned
Bring Your Own Stick

1pm - Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 (PSX)
Graffiti mode, base stats. No bans.

2pm - Sportsfriends: BaraBariBall (PS3)
1v1

3pm - N+
Survival Mode

4pm - Persona 4 Arena
Bring Your Own Stick

5pm - Puzzle Bobble

6pm - Project Diva F
Head to head, hard mode.

7pm - Perfect Dark (360)

8pm - Divekick
128 players

9pm - NBA Jam: On Fire (360)

Sunday

11am - Peggle 2
Duel Mode
No DLC masters available

12pm - Mario Kart 8
128 Players

1pm - Trials Fusion
Supercross mode
May include DLC maps

3pm - Tumblestone

6pm - Ultra Street Fighter 4
Bring Your Own Stick

7pm - Pac Man CE DX

8pm - Halo 4
4-way Free for all
Basic MLG rules
Single map

9pm - Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HDR
Remix Mode
Akuma banned

10pm - Blur
Class B cars and below.

Monday

11am - Saturn Bomberman
10-way Free for all (It’s crazy!)

12pm - Diddy Kong Racing (Community selected)
4-way Free for all
Racing
T.T. banned.

1pm - Soul Calibur V (360)
Bring Your Own Stick

2pm - Killer Instinct (XBOne) (Community selected)
Bring Your Own Stick

3pm - You Don’t Know Jack
Random Episodes

4pm - Call of Duty: Ghosts (360) (Community selected)
8-way Free for all
No loadout bans

• Options
    CRCCRC Registered User new member
    For the Project Diva tourney 1) How will songs be selected? and 2) Can you use your own custom controllers?

• Options
    lokar82lokar82 Registered User regular
    For FIFA, do World Class difficulty, 4 minute halves, allow player to pick their control style.

• Options
    coltonsgtcoltonsgt Registered User new member
    Yo. New PAX Primer, If I want to compete in a handheld tourney, am I required to bring my DS and game our will PAX have ones for us to use, Or in 360 tournaments obliviously we don't need to bring our 360... I hope but can we use our custom controllers.

• Options
    BrainsBrains Console Tournament Manager Registered User regular
    CRC wrote: »
    For the Project Diva tourney 1) How will songs be selected? and 2) Can you use your own custom controllers?
    coltonsgt wrote: »
    360... I hope but can we use our custom controllers.

I suppose it depends on what you mean by custom. My policy has been to let the other participants decide. If they think it's unfair...it probably is. :)
    lokar82 wrote: »
    For FIFA, do World Class difficulty, 4 minute halves, allow player to pick their control style.
    Awesome, thanks! Let's see if there are more opinions on this, but this is a great start!

Yo. New PAX Primer, If I want to compete in ...in 360 tournaments obliviously we don't need to bring our 360...
    You do not have to bring your own 360. (That would be silly, those things are heavy). We have all the consoles/controllers/games needed to run these console tourneys, excepting fight sticks.
    Yo. New PAX Primer, If I want to compete in a handheld tourney, am I required to bring my DS and game our will PAX have ones for us to use...
    Handheld tourney questions should be directed to the handheld tourney post (when it appears). Sorry I don't have a better answer :/

• Options
    talking_chickentalking_chicken Registered User new member
    For the Project Diva tourney 1) How will songs be selected?

Somewhat curious on this, too. Also, will the winner be decided by pure score or rank points (or whatever the percentage score is called)?

Also no extreme makes me a sad panda, but I understand if you're trying to be accessible.

• Options
    Also no extreme makes me a sad panda, but I understand if you're trying to be accessible.

Extreme is available if _both_ players want it :)

• Options
    SoriasSorias Registered User new member

Somewhat curious on this, too. Also, will the winner be decided by pure score or rank points (or whatever the percentage score is called)?

As Brains said, Extreme will be allowed, as long both players are fine with it. Just didn't want to force people into playing it, as hard is more accessible. (Also, not 100% sure I can unlock extreme mode on all songs if something were to go wrong with our save files... ha,ha)

Winner will be decided by pure score, mostly to make sure ties are impossible.

Song selection, the thought was random song from a pre-made list. Don't want to force people to play any of the somewhat atonal songs if they're new to the game (i.e. Rin-chan Now!), so not full random. But also didn't want to just have a tournament of one popular song played over and over again (i.e. Senbonzakura). That said, I expect we'll be open to requests as long as both players agree, and there isn't anything obviously shady going on (such as someone trying to get an advantage by playing the same song repeatedly). We want you guys to have fun, more than we want to enforce any particular pre-made rule.

• Options
    talking_chickentalking_chicken Registered User new member
    Sorias wrote: »

As Brains said, Extreme will be allowed, as long both players are fine with it. Just didn't want to force people into playing it, as hard is more accessible. (Also, not 100% sure I can unlock extreme mode on all songs if something were to go wrong with our save files... ha,ha)

Song selection, the thought was random song from a pre-made list. Don't want to force people to play any of the somewhat atonal songs if they're new to the game (i.e. Rin-chan Now!), so not full random. But also didn't want to just have a tournament of one popular song played over and over again (i.e. Senbonzakura). That said, I expect we'll be open to requests as long as both players agree, and there isn't anything obviously shady going on (such as someone trying to get an advantage by playing the same song repeatedly). We want you guys to have fun, more than we want to enforce any particular pre-made rule.

Awesome, thanks for the info!

One more question - would there be interest in there being a casual setup off to the side for F 2nd for people either waiting for their next round or out of the tournament? I can provide one if there's enforcer approval (I don't mind the weight; I'm used to bringing setups to events). If not, that's fine.

• Options
    zoidbergensteinzoidbergenstein Registered User regular
    For the Brawl tournament are there any banned characters or maps?

• Options
    For the Brawl tournament are there any banned characters or maps?
    IIRC, there are no current bans for characters or stages.

The stage is chosen by the players at the beginning of a match. If you cannot agree, you're playing FD. ;)

But, if there's a problem, we'll ask the community.

• Options
    Bladed CicadaBladed Cicada Registered User regular
    For the Blur tourney, is it going to be 4 player split screens like last year? And out of curiosity, why no A class? Not that I'm against it, but just wondering.

• Options
    DustyStarrDustyStarr Registered User regular
    I just realized that the official schedule says that Mario Kart: Double Dash is at 5PM on Friday, but this topic says 6PM. I am confused by this. :/ Which time is it at?

• Options
    blindaiblindai Registered User new member
    Is Diddy Kong Racing for N64 or for DS ?

• Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    N64. DS would fall under Handheld, which have their own tournaments. Those should be posted shortly.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    For the Blur tourney, is it going to be 4 player split screens like last year? And out of curiosity, why no A class? Not that I'm against it, but just wondering.
    Yup, 4 player split. I think the best answer I have for no A class is accessibility to more players.
    DustyStarr wrote: »
    I just realized that the official schedule says that Mario Kart: Double Dash is at 5PM on Friday, but this topic says 6PM. I am confused by this. :/ Which time is it at?
    It's at 6pm. Getting the official schedule corrected :)

blindai wrote: »
    Is Diddy Kong Racing for N64 or for DS ?
    whypick1 wrote: »
    N64. DS would fall under Handheld, which have their own tournaments. Those should be posted shortly.
    Yup, thanks whypick1!

• Options
    PottedMeatPottedMeat Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    FIFA players must show proof of citizenship for nation being played. :smile:

Also no biting.

PottedMeat on
  • Options
    CennediCennedi A strange man A strange landRegistered User regular
    PottedMeat wrote: »

Also no biting.

No deal

Hopeful First Time Attendee of PAX Prime 2014.
    [ X ] Badge
    [ X ] Hotel
    [ X ] Plane
    Wish me luck!
  • Options
    SantODiablO83SantODiablO83 Registered User regular
    Who is signing up for Geometry Wars 2? If so, I'll see you there!

• Options
    FerquinFerquin Snorlax Renton, WA, USARegistered User regular
    I have a friend who's planning to enter the Tetris Attack tournament on Friday, but he still has to work, and obviously sign ups will be closed before he arrives.

Is it okay for me to sign him up for the tournament in his place?

Thanks.

Ferquin N.C. Root
  • Options
    lokar82lokar82 Registered User regular
    PottedMeat wrote: »

Also no biting.

My Netherlands passport will be in my other pants.

• Options
    Any word on my question about signing my friend up for Tetris Attack while he's at work?

Thanks!

Ferquin N.C. Root
  • Options
    Ferquin wrote: »
    Any word on my question about signing my friend up for Tetris Attack while he's at work?

Thanks!
    Sorry for the slow response.

So my answer for now is Yes*. I'm going with a "one sign-up per person per tourney" policy. If you're awesome enough to stand in line for your friend, and don't want to play in the tourney yourself, sounds good to me.

I reserve the right to change this policy if it gets abused though. :)

• Options
    Naw, I ain't competing. I'm horrible at Tetris Attack.

My friend, however, is an expert. He won two years ago.

Thanks for the reply.

Ferquin N.C. Root
  • Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    I'll high five someone so hard if I can use their stick for the UMvC3 tournament. Bringing mine with me from Germany wasn't happening.

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    JoshyPoo77JoshyPoo77 Puyallup, WARegistered User new member
    I plan on entering Blazblue and Persona 4 Arena. Would you happen to know what console those will be on so I can bring the proper controller?

Also when is the deadline for sign-ups?

• Options
    nucmed24nucmed24 Registered User new member
    Where do you sign up? And is it easy to get a spot? Or does it fill up? My son is interested in the Smash Bros brawl tourney.

• Options
    HombowHombow Registered User new member
    Sorias wrote: »

Awesome, thanks for the info!

One more question - would there be interest in there being a casual setup off to the side for F 2nd for people either waiting for their next round or out of the tournament? I can provide one if there's enforcer approval (I don't mind the weight; I'm used to bringing setups to events). If not, that's fine.

This would be so awesome if there was a set up for F 2nd.