As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ANA[CHAT]DA

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    TTODewback wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    20140820-als.png

I still don't know what this thing is all about.

ALS is Lou Gherig's Disease
    One of the people who died that had it recently invented this challenge to raise awareness before he died

And the challenge is donate or pour ice water on yourself? And lots of people are doing it?
    Pour ice water on yourself and donate, or don't pour ice water on yourself and donate more. And challenge other people.
    It's dumb but for a good cause so yay.

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    Arch wrote: »
    I'd be okay if I couldn't eat meat for a couple of years

as long as I could keep eating seafood

fuck you, fish

get in my tummy

I do not get the "fish aren't meat" mentality

from what i learned, in japan the word for fish is separate from the word for other meats

s'weird

they also use different number-words for counting objects of different shapes

fuck you, japan

I tried to learn some japanese before I went.

All I learned is that I only got room in my brain for one fucked-up language.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

fuck you, fish

get in my tummy

In this conversation it's about a tick that injects some kind of pathogen that gives your body a severe allergic reaction to the sugars found in red meat. So fish don't count.

In other conversations, fish don't count because they are significantly healthier as a food source and/or because they are lower enough of a life form that people don't have a moral objection.

Weird. Its not like a cow is on a different level of intelligence from a fish. Its also not like fish can't feel pain and suffering like a cow...

I would argue that a cow is meaningfully more intelligent than a fish, though we have done a number on them through selective breeding. On the pain and suffering thing, I don't feel qualified to comment.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    fish not being meat comes from catholics (he says, ass-pullingly)

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    also FYI Feral linked me that story about ticks making you allergic to red meat

here is what I said

yessss
    yesssss
    i dont know how valid that is
    but 100% support
    go ticks go

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    Moran is just the best. I've seen him live four times now and each time has been wonderful.

I saw him last year when he came to Dallas. Small venue, great seats, great show. Nearly three hours.
    Last show I saw him at was only an hour, but Eugene Mirman opened and it was mc'd by Chris Kent, who is a real up and comer in the Irish comedy scene and is going to be huge over the next few years.

Probably like, top 5 shows I've been to comedy wise.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    The next series of BBC Shakespeare adaptations is putting together some fucking cast. Fragglerock Ampersand as Richard III, Keeley Hawes, Sophie Okonedo, Judie Fucking Dench. Excite.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    TehSloth wrote: »

fuck you, fish

get in my tummy

In this conversation it's about a tick that injects some kind of pathogen that gives your body a severe allergic reaction to the sugars found in red meat. So fish don't count.

In other conversations, fish don't count because they are significantly healthier as a food source and/or because they are lower enough of a life form that people don't have a moral objection.

Weird. Its not like a cow is on a different level of intelligence from a fish. Its also not like fish can't feel pain and suffering like a cow...

but they're slimy and gross

And cows are covered in snot, drool and poo.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    And the challenge is donate or pour ice water on yourself? And lots of people are doing it?

Literally everyone ever

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Alinius133Alinius133 Registered User regular
    edited August 2014

fuck you, fish

get in my tummy

Its ok to eat fish

'cause they don't have any feeelliiings

At least until we breed cows that can talk and tell us how much the want to be eaten...

Alinius133 on
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Arch wrote: »
    also FYI Feral linked me that story about ticks making you allergic to red meat

here is what I said

yessss
    yesssss
    i dont know how valid that is
    but 100% support
    go ticks go

O_O

You bug man monster.

Cinders on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Cows are really dumb and gross, I think it's probably ok to kill them for food as long as we aren't bunheads about it.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    jake

yes my son

there is a katy perry this is how we do official remix out today with riff raff on it

its... its so bad...

no link u fuq

nvm

never listened to the original, this is pretty awful

the original is decent

but the "remix" merely slows it down at least 20% and just... adds the most pointless, nonsensical verse ever, with tedious riff raff repeating of lines in the background

lazy lazy lazy

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    The next series of BBC Shakespeare adaptations is putting together some fucking cast. Fragglerock Ampersand as Richard III, Keeley Hawes, Sophie Okonedo, Judie Fucking Dench. Excite.

Wat

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    20120110-pizza-comic-how-I-consume-pizza.png

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    dangit

i bought an onion roll and a croissant a few days ago, thinking i'd turn my chicken into chicken salad and eat it on those

i ended up using the chicken for burritos tho and now they're stale

buying and cooking for 1 is a pain : (

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    thankfully they were 50% off so it was like 50 cents

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Fragglerock Ampersand is the best I've seen so far

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »

Everytime I see Keeley Hawes's name, my brain autocorrects it to Keely Hazell. This sometimes creates confusion.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

fuck you, fish

get in my tummy

I would argue that a cow is meaningfully more intelligent than a fish, though we have done a number on them through selective breeding. On the pain and suffering thing, I don't feel qualified to comment.

Fish can certainly be distressed, but like, a lot of it is not factory farmed.

There is zero cow meat that isn't factory farmed unless you're looking for it, though.

So there are certainly relevant differences, although they tend to go away if you're buying hippie meat. I don't know about fish factory farming though.

• Options

fuck you, fish

get in my tummy

I mean its a moot point to me, I eat both because they are delicious.

• Options
    Organichu wrote: »
    dangit

i bought an onion roll and a croissant a few days ago, thinking i'd turn my chicken into chicken salad and eat it on those

Cut into cubes. Drizzle olive oil and season with salt, pepper and cayenne. Place on sheet in 400 degree oven/toaster-oven until nice and golden.

Croutons for salad. I do this a lot. Cooking for one can be a challenge.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    snip

One of the people who died that had it recently invented this challenge to raise awareness before he died

I don't know who Lou Gehrig is

ALS appears to be what is referred to as motor neuron disease here

Lou Gehrig was a famous American baseball player. His career was cut short when it was discovered that he had ALS.

Most people in America know ALS as "Lou Gehrig's Disease" because he was the most famous person who had it. It's like if Wayne Rooney was cut down in his prime by some obscure disease and people started calling it "Rooney's Malady."

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    though hmm calling a riff raff verse nonsensical is sort of redundant

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    @ronya ok some attempt at a post about database, Part 1

so even in a small business line of business app there are two things you need to handle for the DB: security (which people or programs can read from or write to stuff) and data integrity (make sure what is in the DB follows your rules)

on a fully featured DB like mssql server or whatevs you could do all that in the DB itself though it's not trivial. but with SQLLite you want to have an application layer above the DB itself taking care of security and data integrity. As long as you follow one rule this is fine: No data can ever enter or leave the DB except through your app layer. Sidestepping your own security or integrity rules for any reason is asking for heartache.

As an aside, you might be thinking you don't need to care about security. But even in a small business I think it very unlikely that every person should have read / write permission to every piece of information.

In your case the application layer will be in C# and is the code that does the actual talking to the DB. Now usually you would want to have a setup such that the app layer is running on a server (possibly the same one as the one the DB is running on) and the clients connect to this server via some kind of service. Network permissions are set up such that only the server running the app layer can touch the DB server. But if you are sure that this app is only running inside a secure local network at your place of business then you could just make the app layer part of the client code and all the clients connect to the DB.

The advantage of having the app layer on its own server (which could be a virtual machine on the same physical machine running the DB!) is better security and you could in theory later expand this so people could connect to the system remotely. Also note you could use another server than IIS (like Apache or whatever) and PHP for the app layer instead of C# / IIS. Though I find C# / IIS way easier to dev for in these scenarios.
    +- DB Server -+
    |             |
    |  SQLLite DB |
    |             |
    +-------------+
            ^ 1
            |
            v 1
    +- App Layer Server running IIS -+
    |                                |
    |  C# ASP.NET service            |
    |                                |
    +--------------------------------+
            ^ 1
            |
            v many
    +- Client Computer -----+
    |                       |
    | +- WPF Application -+ |
    | |                   | |
    | | XAML View(s)      | |
    | | C# ViewModel(s)   | |
    | | C# Model          | |
    | +-------------------+ |
    +-----------------------+

the more limited scenario where you are relying on the security of your local network looks like:
    +- DB Server --+
    |              |
    |  SQLLite DB  |
    |              |
    +--------------+
            ^ 1
            |
            v many
    +- Client Computer -----+
    | +- WPF Application -+ |
    | |                   | |
    | | XAML View(s)      | |
    | | C# ViewModel(s)   | |
    | | C# Model          | |
    | | C# DB App Layer   | |
    | +-------------------+ |
    +-----------------------+

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    well i'll just regress because I've made myself perfectly redundant

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Cows are really dumb and gross, I think it's probably ok to kill them for food as long as we aren't bunheads about it.

no u

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

the ecological, health, and economic issues bother me

let's generate all the methane and waste all the water and use all the antibiotics!

just so we can pile beef together in confined spaces so they get fatter faster!

so the beef is worse for you!

but cheaper so you can eat more of it!

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Organichu wrote: »
    dangit

Cut into cubes. Drizzle olive oil and season with salt, pepper and cayenne. Place on sheet in 400 degree oven/toaster-oven until nice and golden.

Croutons for salad. I do this a lot. Cooking for one can be a challenge.

protips right here

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    OH MY FUCKING GOD OH MY FUCKING GOD OH GOD OH GOD YES YES YES

Senpai noticed me

Senpai totally fucking noticed me

I'm not sure if he's trolling me or something because he could totally be fucking trolling me or something

But if he isn't then I'm going to spend the next like year of my life flipping the fuck out

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    if we just, like, let cows roam free on verdant fields like those "good milk comes from happy cows" TV ads they used to have in California

and then kill it swiftly at it's prime

I would give nary a shite

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    well i'll just regress because I've made myself perfectly redundant

Just watched that the other day, so good

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 So Raven Registered User regular
    (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options

let's generate all the methane and waste all the water and use all the antibiotics!

I certainly don't like any of those things and I'd be 100% willing to buy more expensive beef if it meant mitigating any of those factors. But as a single person, and not a restaurant, it can be hard to find packaged or even fresh butchered ethical meat.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    cows are pretty dumb and also tasty

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    OH MY FUCKING GOD OH MY FUCKING GOD OH GOD OH GOD YES YES YES

Senpai noticed me

Senpai totally fucking noticed me

I'm not sure if he's trolling me or something because he could totally be fucking trolling me or something

But if he isn't then I'm going to spend the next like year of my life flipping the fuck out

Make sure to be tsundere

Senpais love dat shit

Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    Shivahn wrote: »

fuck you, fish

get in my tummy

Fish can certainly be distressed, but like, a lot of it is not factory farmed.

There is zero cow meat that isn't factory farmed unless you're looking for it, though.

So there are certainly relevant differences, although they tend to go away if you're buying hippie meat. I don't know about fish factory farming though.

Ah yes of course what was I thinking? I forgot we have a resident expert on fish suffering.

How goes it in crawfish hell today shiv?

• Options

I certainly don't like any of those things and I'd be 100% willing to buy more expensive beef if it meant mitigating any of those factors. But as a single person, and not a restaurant, it can be hard to find packaged or even fresh butchered ethical meat.

aren't there farms nearby you could source your meat from?

• Options
    knitdan wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    snip

I don't know who Lou Gehrig is

ALS appears to be what is referred to as motor neuron disease here

Lou Gehrig was a famous American baseball player. His career was cut short when it was discovered that he had ALS.

Most people in America know ALS as "Lou Gehrig's Disease" because he was the most famous person who had it. It's like if Wayne Rooney was cut down in his prime by some obscure disease and people started calling it "Rooney's Malady."

No we wouldn't because we already use that term for the malady of looking like a potato.

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited August 2014

fuck you, fish

get in my tummy

I mean its a moot point to me, I eat both because they are delicious.

Some say that long pig has the greatest taste of all.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
This discussion has been closed.