As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

NOOB's BLOG... Modern vs Retro: a duel for the ages...

BLACKMASK-COMICS CEO JayBLACKMASK-COMICS CEO Jay Registered User regular
edited August 2014 in Social Entropy++
2lcvfxt.jpg

THE NOOB'S WEEKLY GUIDE TO BLOGGING!

Retro... When people hear this word associated with an upcoming video game release, (ESPECIALLY younger gamers) smug remarks, crass attitudes, and four letter swear words are flung around chatrooms and forums at an alarming rate. It's ridiculous. I have an opposing view because I'm a child of the 70's... I thought squares with two circles under it made a bad ass-looking truck. My generation may have been the most creative generation ever... in the existence of mankind I mean, but a topic for another day. In modern times, video games are all about the aesthetics and framerates, and things like gameplay don't receive the attention it use to when pixel was "king"... AAA titles (usually shooters; pick any one... there's a sea of em') focus solely on a monetized experience, which in my humble opinion robs the client/customer of enjoying the complete story, unless they pay $9.95 to see "more"... I had "more" in digi quotes because DLC stands for "Don't Languish ya Credits" in latin... I'm kidding, but you start to see a pattern when you examine the marketing ploys of the publishers. A) get them hooked... Once you've accomplished that, B) milk em' dry before the IP implodes... Shady business: 101(well... not really "shady" but still). So with all that established, I get back to the point of graphics and art... Retro games consisted of bitmap pixels used to form crude looking images (ie sprites) on the computer monitor. Most games probably used the 640x480 scale for the environment, and 32x32 for sprites and other objects. This made "detail" a frighten word for devs back then... Most games were literally just blocks... blocks moving around very slowing to simulate the movements of a tank or whatev... The user/client had to use "imagination" to get the most out of the experience. Speaking of...2ivn2vs.jpgThe Legend of Zelda would have to be my best example (speaking from my experience) of putting this practice to good use. If you google the backstory on the game, you'll find out that story was an after thought for the devs... So essentially NO STORY in this game, but an open, lush sandbox to escape in for hours at a time. I played this game till my nes burned out. So imagine a game with pretty much a non-plot besides "rescue the girl/defeat ultimate evil" and crude pixel art... Had this game try a steam greenlight now, well... I'd hate to read those comments on the thread. But it's heralded as an "iconic" game which paved the way for the dungeon crawlers of today. I'm trying to make these points in my defense of retro games because this "sub-genre" gets a bad rep. People with no experience in playing 8-16 bit classics, have a distaste for pixel art, chiptunes and whatever else they can find to complain about. I know... I'm bias because I grew up with gaming... Maybe I'm not the right person to discuss this, but as an artist I felt the need to expose some things and connect the visual "dots"... Remastered art in a remake is by no means "god awful" in my opinion, but I feel it should be done tastefully. Sticking with the original art, while making subtle changes to the design is key. Too many times I've seen old school IPs get a reboot, only to see that they've strayed from the source material. (Transformers/GOTG anyone???) Well... I can see I have a rant on my hands... Hmmm... Ok I'll conclude with this: Too all born in the age of DOOM/Halo and beyond... Get out of your FPS mentality and try to experience a game where you don't blow the crap out of everything around you. Play a game like MYST, where you literally just walk around a "paradise" the entire game. I believe there are some puzzles and whatnot, but the plug is sight-seeing. Just don't have a narrow, dogmatic view on different games and/or genre... You will miss out on gems, and finding your very own (non-monetized) euphoric experiences.

BLACKMASK-COMICS CEO Jay on

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    This isn't the right forum for your fanfiction.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    What in the world

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    paragraph breaks, dude

paragraph breaks will help

• Options
    Also stop abusing the poor ellipses

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    wow.. you guys are almost as bad as yahoo and IGN. tsk tsk

• Options
    everybody get your red pens out, let's copy-edit this mofo

• Options
    Yahoo???

Yeah guys you know that bastion of gaming culture, Yahoo

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    3405126-saga+page+1.png

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    blackmask comics? wasn't that the one with the murder scandal?

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options

almost as bad?!

guys we are NOT trying hard enough

I demand fifty shitposts on my desk by five

• Options
    Did I forget to mention "no trolls" ??? darn... I thought that was covered with the yahoo thing... guess that went over

• Options
    does your business name really have a hyphen in it

• Options
    Did I forget to mention "no trolls" ??? darn... I thought that was covered with the yahoo thing... guess that went over
    Duder, no one is trolling you

You wrote a really poor blog post and posted it on a forum

This ain't your blog

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Fuck, you joined 6 years ago, you been in prison or something?

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    i remember now, it was something about the ceo murdering that guy and corruption charges with the mob? super weird story

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    YaYa wrote: »
    does your business name really have a hyphen in it
    There's an actual Black Mask comics founded by some real industry dudes but something tells me he is not with them

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    I was expecting "get off my lawn" at the end of all that.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    As a child of the 70's I'd assume you enjoy trolls, with their fun comb-able hair, adorable smiles and exposed bellybuttons.

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Lately I've been plating Nosgoth which is a really fun F2P 4v4 assymetric teams 3rd person shooter that features vampires va humans on wide maps built with am eye for vertical movement. It's cool, catchy, and fun, and there's literally no way a game of its design philosophy could have existed in the 70s.

So your argument is invalid come play vampires vs humans with me.

• Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Are some folks still mad Nosgoth is ignoring the Kain series or what was going down when it was first announced?

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    Yeah but it's a lot of fun so everyone who started playing it is ignoring them now.

...Another LoK game would be lovely, though.

• Options
    Nosgoth's name bothers me. It sounds like a new Pokemon.

• Options
    RawrBearRawrBear Registered User regular
    I think emolga is my favorite pokemon.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Wait, DOOM and Halo are the same era of gaming now?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I do like emolga - but my favorite is either Mareep or Joltik/Galvantula.

• Options
    Wait, DOOM and Halo are the same era of gaming now?

He also calls out Guardians of the Galaxy for straying as far from the source material as Transformers. There's a lot wrong going on in that post.

• Options
    who literally could give a shit about the guardians of the galaxy source material in the face of the movie

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    people read the OP?

• Options
    who literally could give a shit about the guardians of the galaxy source material in the face of the movie
    Also it is pretty dang true to the spirit of the source material

Quill's a quippy gunslinger
    Gamora is a deadly assassin raisesd by Thanos(although her character has legitimate issues as have been addressed in tons of threads)
    Drax is a vengeful psychopath
    Rocket is a triggee happy tinkerer/genius
    Groot is Groot

The only big departures came from the side stuff like Ronan and Yondu

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Yeah you know me

Damnit Blank

Hermano on

PSN- AHermano
  • Options

It's not a perfect movie, buuut yeaaaaaaah.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    I don't know why you people all have issues with this post.

All he's saying is that you young whippersnappers get all persnickety when a company puts out a game that looks like the good ole days. You don't appreciate the classics, the ole boxy blocky style games where the game didn't have all them fancy polyogons and stereophonic sound effects. Just because a game doesn't use all them new fan-dangled wiggly sticks and shouldertrigger button things doesn't mean it should be thrown out. Back before your dag-gummed crime games the closest you came to a crime was stealing a piece of penny candy from Mc. McGregor's store or watching the Shriners in the local parade put on a keystone cops routine.

He longs for the days where games didn't have to have all the bells n whistles. Back when the only hooker in a game was the one you used to catch a bright blue fish shaped like an envelope with a tail. Back when the only swear words in the game where swirly symbols in a cartoon bubble. Back when we didn't have 3d rendered dragons breathing realistic fire across sweeping landscapes - we had dragons that actually changed color as the game got harder, and we liked it.

You kids need to learn a lesson from the original post and while you're at it GET OFF MY GOD DAMNED LAWN AND TURN DOWN THAT HIP HOP MUSIC!

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Oh for the innocent days of Custer's Revenge

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Vidoes games are like cinema, they evolve and change over time partially with the taste of the consumer and partially changing the tastes of the consumer.

Things happen, nothing lasts forever. I'm not on your lawn, your on mine.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I too am upset about the ever-increasing fidelity of our media

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    There is always room for a good ol throwback style boss changing color with difficulty jumping around on things games. El Shaddai was pretty fun in exactly that way.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    I kind of miss the racist avatar the OP used to have

really told me what kind of thread I was in for

This discussion has been closed.