As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mighty Morphin Power Thread: where we of course talk about TMNT

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    So there is only one girl in the show now?

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Only one girl in the core team due to the source material. That may change later as the same source material has a few extra Rangers.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    That is still pretty dumb.

• Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    I wouldn't mind if we went back to MMPR style, with a girl playing a guy from the source material. Yellow ranger with a bulge and all that.

That being said, the sentai has like a billion rangers in it. Dunno how many they're gonna show though.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I always notice when I'm in toy stores that the Power Rangers stuff is heavily skewed towards the male rangers, which is a shame.

• Options
    I always notice when I'm in toy stores that the Power Rangers stuff is heavily skewed towards the male rangers, which is a shame.

Not just that but they've been making the action figures with He-Man proportions. I certainly don't recall the Rangers being that buff.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Sorry for a double-post but I figured a preview clip from Dino Charge's first episode would be ok.

EDIT: A second clip has popped up, featuring the first morph.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    mrmrmrmr nameless protagonist Registered User regular
    Or watch the whole first episode on Nick's site.
    nick.com/videos/clip/power-rangers-dino-charge-501-full-episode.html

It seems pretty solid to me. I enjoyed it and had less to make fun of out loud to nobody than Super Megaforce did. My main gripe is the big design difference between the Saban-made villain Sledge and the original Sentai baddies. The main villain here is a green suited, rusty-armored bounty hunter that just looks bland in comparison with the extravagant sentai villains. Sort of like Grumm in SPD. :/

Practice Round, my blog where I talk (mostly) about comics.
    p4.png
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Ha, I love the idea of somebody morphing for the first time and being all ?????????

• Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    It lacks the kickass music of the Japanese morph though. That was just so out of place and hilarious.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    At least they posted the right picture of which Ranger he was, unlike some sites...

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Ugh, I feel for Jason. Bunch of sites are probably just writing "Red Ranger Arrested for Murder" and he's probably getting a million tweets now.

• Options

I really hope this isn't JDF's actual Twitter because some fans aren't happy seeing this as the first reaction to the news.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Well it's verified
    It's possible he has a publicity guy running the actual tweets but, uh, I don't know

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Well it seems like he doesnt believe the guy is guilty just that he responded poorly to the assualt.

I mean going from that article murder is definitely not accurate. Manslaughter seems more likely.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    The fact that this was the red ranger who was the biggest hippy/treehugger in the franchise makes it extra weird

sad to hear about it

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    CururuCururu Registered User regular
    According to some fan sites the murder charge has been dropped, pending a more complete investigation. So who knows what's up at this point.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Sorry for a double-post but I figured a preview clip from Dino Charge's first episode would be ok.

haha, the red ranger is such a dork.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
  • Options
    This incident with Medina was interesting as far as seeing how fans reacted. Some felt bad for both Medina and his roommate. Some wondered how this would affect the franchise. Some got mad over JDF coming off as expressing that same worry and poorly as his first thought on the matter. And some were also upset at how sites and other sources delivering the news made mistakes when it came to identifying which Red Ranger Medina played.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    This incident with Medina was interesting as far as seeing how fans reacted. Some felt bad for both Medina and his roommate. Some wondered how this would affect the franchise. Some got mad over JDF coming off as expressing that same worry and poorly as his first thought on the matter. And some were also upset at how sites and other sources delivering the news made mistakes when it came to identifying which Red Ranger Medina played.

I'm 1 and 4, with 4 mainly being because I hear that some of those other Red Rangers have been getting hate messages over it. I think I heard one site even named the wrong guy (Austin St. John, I think?), and if that's true, that's just sloppy, sloppy reporting.

Related.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

Pink Ranger is triceratops? Crappy show can't even get the dinosaurs right.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    The second DC episode wasn't bad, though it could have maybe used a tweak here and there.
    Tyler being kept at the base just so he'd fight alone in order to match up with the source material was handled somewhat off. The episode also could have benefited Shelby, Tyler, and especially Riley questioning the two about how they they knew the latter two's names and their encounters with the monsters. Still, good start and it's nice they went with a RPM-ish route with Koda and Chase already Rangers and in the know.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Uh, holy shit.

(Warning: actually pretty violent)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vw5vcUPyL90

@Chincymcchilla If you haven't seen this yet, GET OFF YOUR ASS

Goatmon on

• Options
    That's pretty rad

A little darker than I'd prefer but definitely a fun watch

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    I am 100% down for darker rangers, as long it's still fun.

Which that short film totally is.

• Options
    Also, because of how they kept not really showing Tommy, I was hoping that they'd gotten Jason Frank to make a cameo.

I mean, the dude still basically wears his Power Ranger love on his sleeve, so I can't imagine it would have been hard to convince him.

• Options
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Also, because of how they kept not really showing Tommy, I was hoping that they'd gotten Jason Frank to make a cameo.

I mean, the dude still basically wears his Power Ranger love on his sleeve, so I can't imagine it would have been hard to convince him.

He did the voice/cameod in that white ranger vs scorpion video

• Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    That video was pretty sweet

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    James Van Der Beek as an angry former ranger was not something I knew I needed in my life.

Parts of that felt a bit violent for the sake of being violent, but I liked it overall

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    He was named right? Rocky?

Wasn't that the Black Ranger after Zack? Or Blue?

• Options
    He was named right? Rocky?

Wasn't that the Black Ranger after Zack? Or Blue?

Rocky was the second Red Ranger that came to replace Jason.

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I have no pony in the race when it comes to Power Rangers but re: that short:

It was needlessly grim and violent but I thought it had some interesting concepts. I found the idea that they always conscripted kids into being Power Rangers because they were far less likely to ask big questions and be pretty much willing to go fight someone's war because they perceived themselves to be superheroes to be compelling. I also came out of it thinking Van Der Beek should be working more. I assume he was playing some known character or something but I thought he did a pretty good job.

• Options
    Ceno wrote: »
    I have no pony in the race when it comes to Power Rangers but re: that short:

It was needlessly grim and violent but I thought it had some interesting concepts. I found the idea that they always conscripted kids into being Power Rangers because they were far less likely to ask big questions and be pretty much willing to go fight someone's war because they perceived themselves to be superheroes to be compelling. I also came out of it thinking Van Der Beek should be working more. I assume he was playing some known character or something but I thought he did a pretty good job.

He was, he was playing Rocky, the second Red Ranger after the original actor left, and before Jason David Frank's Tommy took over as the Red Ranger.(Which no one remembers)

Also, yes, I agree about the short. It's not very good, but it had a few decent concepts.

Although I can't really get over the over use of, like, assault rifles for the Ranger's. It looked silly, especially considering their main weapons were actually freakin LASERS.

• Options
    So is this where I post my dream thing is a united Rider/Ranger universe where Rider's get their powers by the usual rider way, adopting powers from Ranger enemies?

And then said enemies broker a peace with the Ranger's on the stipulation that the Rider's are dismantled. Some agree, and some don't and that ends up being a sort of Rider/Ranger civil War?

And my dream concept is a series based on where the Ranger's won that war?

No?

I'll show myself out now.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    The Out Magazine cover was a sweet nod.

edit: Although I'm seeing people say that it was in poor taste.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    I think most people didn't even notice the magazine cover and are taking issue with the line about knowing at least one ranger she didn't have sex with.

I don't think they meant it in a derogatory way, but it's a pretty bad way to acknowledge that the blue ranger was played by a gay man.

• Options
    Ah, that makes sense.

• Options
    Marathon wrote: »
    I think most people didn't even notice the magazine cover and are taking issue with the line about knowing at least one ranger she didn't have sex with.

I don't think they meant it in a derogatory way, but it's a pretty bad way to acknowledge that the blue ranger was played by a gay man.

Yea i didnt take offense to the line because of the subtle way they showed that in that world he was out, accepted and had done some great stuff with his life.

I actually took it as a crack at the fact that Kimberly was romantically involve with most of the male cast.

Minus Zack of course.