As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mighty Morphin Power Thread: where we of course talk about TMNT

• Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    Ehhhh...it had good ideas. I didn't like the swears. Or the guns. In trying to be grittier and more mature I think it somehow ended up more juvenile than the actual show. Like something a 15-year old would make because he thinks he's outgrown it.

The machine empire taking over is neat though. I always liked them. "Technology as the villain" is always a relevant trope. See: RPM. Which honestly is was better at doing post-apoc than this was :rotate:

• Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    Also if this lasts the day without getting lawyered into oblivion then I'll eat my hat

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    that was just really strange

did not like the guns at all

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    Whippy wrote: »
    Also if this lasts the day without getting lawyered into oblivion then I'll eat my hat

It already got yanked from Vimeo

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    the effects were okay for the most part.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    mature stories mean everyone does coke

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    The Out Magazine cover was a sweet nod.

edit: Although I'm seeing people say that it was in poor taste.

I'm 50/50 on that one but the Trini bit definetely felt like poor taste.

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    also, why did his leg sound like robocop?

• Options
    If you guys wanted a Power Rangers deconstruction, Kamen Rider Gaim is right there.

That show features fruit-based suits and a flaming pastry chef, and yet this fan film felt a thousand times cheesier.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    That would be a sentai deconstruction

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

I was fine with Zack using one of the guard's guns to shoot the others, but yeah it's just weird to see the rangers running around with assault rifles at the beginning.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    If you want a Power ranger deconstruction this guy called Shotaro Ishinomori sorta covered that about 60 years ago.

If anything Power Rangers is a reconstruction! Yeah I don't think that's a thing but I'm callin it!

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Naphtali wrote: »

I was fine with Zack using one of the guard's guns to shoot the others, but yeah it's just weird to see the rangers running around with assault rifles at the beginning.

Which is why I both liked and disliked the moment where Zack just stand around and lets the men shoot him as they are reflected back. It was cool and got across the idea that the suits were really powerful and makes human weapons look silly but then it makes anytime a ranger uses a gun just seems silly.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    On a possibly more pleasant topic, the first episode of the new Super Sentai series aired this weekend and it's a shame we'll have to wait two years for it since it has some nice action. And the Zord fight's definitely wild.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXUNY5IWViQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqIl2xfXmvc

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    That's some cool gear they've got.

Also, what the hell, those poor civilians were driving on that highway when it flipped over.

• Options
    Kind of an unfortunate name though...

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    I wonder if actors enjoy working with virtual displays like that. I mean it gives them something to physically do besides just stare at eachother or a document/screen, but I hear that it can sometimes suck because it's literally all in your head and it can really suck because you're not focusing/looking at the right thing because there's nothing there.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    I think they usually give you something to stare at where your attention is supposed to be.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    I think they usually give you something to stare at where your attention is supposed to be.

They probably do for some shots. I know on Bones, when they're all around their 3D viewer, they don't have that luxury and kinda have to keep their eyeline neutral where they think it's going to be and everyone's crowded around the device and the camera moves to (hence the no reference point).

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    The director of the short said it was supposed to poke fun at the gritty reboots that keep popping up.

But when your satire is indistinguishable from the thing you're satirizing, it's not really satire.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I found it hilarious. I'm not saying it has to be the drastic new vision for the franchise, but if they kept a lot of the LOOK, Pacific Rim + The Raid: Redemption, I would watch that, no question.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Renzo wrote: »
    The director of the short said it was supposed to poke fun at the gritty reboots that keep popping up.

But when your satire is indistinguishable from the thing you're satirizing, it's not really satire.

I do think it treaded a little too close to that line to really tell that it's actually satire.

But it didn't tread so far that it forgot to stay fun, I think.

Goatmon on

• Options
    edited February 2015
    The first episode for the new SS series has only just aired and there's already a picture of the team's Sixth Ranger along with his morpher floating around. I can't wait to see how they explain this look in the adaptation.
    yiLR1pS.jpg

A cowboy-themed Sixth Ranger for a ninja team sporting a hamburger-modeled morpher.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    I am 100% down for darker rangers, as long it's still fun.

Which that short film totally is.

I... didn't really see anything fun there.

Well, besides Hip Hop Kido.

The video of the guy explaining why he did this? That was fun.

This? I want to say "maybe if they had a laugh track and it was on SNL," but... I don't know.
    Also, because of how they kept not really showing Tommy, I was hoping that they'd gotten Jason Frank to make a cameo.

I mean, the dude still basically wears his Power Ranger love on his sleeve, so I can't imagine it would have been hard to convince him.

They asked, but he wasn't interested. Can't say I blame him, honestly. He thinks PG-13 is about as hardcore as Rangers needs to get.
    Renzo wrote: »

I generally agree, except I don't think it's indistinguishable. I think it manages to make Michael Bay's TMNT and Transformers look like respectful adaptations of their source material.

Side note: Am I the only one who doesn't care for the look of the helmets here? Not just aesthetically (the nose is a bit weird), but the eyes don't look like they're in such a way that looking out of them in a combat situation would be very practical. I mean, I guess there could be some Iron Man stuff going on in there, but then why change it in the first place?

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »
    The first episode for the new SS series has only just aired and there's already a picture of the team's Sixth Ranger along with his morpher floating around. I can't wait to see how they explain this look in the adaptation.
    yiLR1pS.jpg

A cowboy-themed Sixth Ranger for a ninja team sporting a hamburger-modeled morpher.

So Juno is the sixth ranger?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    That is the most American thing ever and I approve.

• Options
    CururuCururu Registered User regular
    On a possibly more pleasant topic, the first episode of the new Super Sentai series aired this weekend and it's a shame we'll have to wait two years for it since it has some nice action. And the Zord fight's definitely wild.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXUNY5IWViQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqIl2xfXmvc

So they are piloting a giant robot...that is also piloting a giant robot.

I'm trying to decide if that is the dumbest gimmick that they have come up with, or the most awesome

• Options
    Help me MMPR thread. My will is weak.

6LxTBZC.jpg

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    RayzeRayze Registered User regular
    Holy crap, I would've died if my parents bought that for me back when I was 7

Then again, it looks tempting now and I'm 28

• Options
    Kind of a letdown how little that saber talked.

It had a cool voice, too.

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    I had that as a kid. In fact, I'm 90% sure it's still in my parent's attic.

I'm not sure that it's worth $100 though. The blade barely extends from the rest of it and is super flimsy, and it only has a handful of voice clips.

Unless that one is a new version and not a re-release of the one from a couple of decades ago.

I always envied my friend who had the Dragon Dagger, though (granted, it also was limited on sound clips, but it didn't feel as flimsy to me the few times I got to use it).

• Options
    Lars wrote: »
    I had that as a kid. In fact, I'm 90% sure it's still in my parent's attic.

I'm not sure that it's worth $100 though. The blade barely extends from the rest of it and is super flimsy, and it only has a handful of voice clips.

Unless that one is a new version and not a re-release of the one from a couple of decades ago.

I always envied my friend who had the Dragon Dagger, though (granted, it also was limited on sound clips, but it didn't feel as flimsy to me the few times I got to use it).

I'm pretty sure it's new. It looks like it's from the same line that the morpher came from, and that's pretty solid.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    Help me MMPR thread. My will is weak.

6LxTBZC.jpg

99.99 is like a couple of hours of work or whatever comeonbuythething!

...oh, that's not the kind of help you meant?

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    The dragon dagger was the best, it had a really good weight to it and seemed quite sturdy. My only gripe was the blade itself was kinda soft rubber and got warped somewhat.

My favorite was always megazord though

Dixon on
  • Options
    mrmrmrmr nameless protagonist Registered User regular
    That new Saba is a totally new thing with lots of new sounds, lots of die cast parts, and mostly is pretty much actual size. My friend brought his over a while ago and compared it to the old one and it is damn impressive.

I hope that convinces you not to get it. :P

Practice Round, my blog where I talk (mostly) about comics.
    p4.png
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFHCqCYFmXw

Yeah, I think I'm gonna check this out when it comes to DVD.

• Options
    It's been going well so far. Hopefully the airing breaks caused by Nickelodeon won't kill any goodwill or momentum the show's been gaining.

• Options
    I believe it has one of the Executive Producers from In Space and Time Force, and those are my second and third favourite series, so that bodes well.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Linkara has continued his History of Power Ranges series with RPM. If the links on the site don't work he also has them posted on Blip.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    It's been going well so far. Hopefully the airing breaks caused by Nickelodeon won't kill any goodwill or momentum the show's been gaining.

It hasnt really hurt turtles or geavity falls much so stupid as they are theyve been, proven to not harm ratings

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.