As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mighty Morphin Power Thread: where we of course talk about TMNT

• Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    The N64 and PS1 versions of the game were totally different. I played the PS1 version, which was just a top down beat em up where you ran around punching mooks. The N64 one has like a bunch of weird ass gamemodes that all looked quite terrible.

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »
    kJ0vnZx.jpg

You know, seeing one of the movie suits next to the regular spandex makes me think it's actually one of those Megazord-only suits they started making since Samurai. Oh, and yeah, this is a promo for a new mobile fighting game coming out in March.

https://youtu.be/VAre185yW6M

Has there been a discussion yet about how strange it looks that Angel Grove is being rewritten as a drab, rural, Anytown USA? I don't feel like that's as exciting a setting as Metropolis-by-way-of-Los Angeles. Sort of hamstrings the stakes the same way Thor did with that 2-road town in New Mexico, unless they spend time to get anyone to care about the setting.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Angel Grove is a High School, a Gym and Juice bar, a handful of houses, an empty warehouse district, and an infinite park.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Angel Grove has a large northwestern forest,multiple lakes, a shoreline, mountains,and rocky badlands in addition to the city proper

No where in California can meet all those requirements.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Angel Grove has a large northwestern forest,multiple lakes, a shoreline, mountains,and rocky badlands in addition to the city proper

Sounds like Seattle.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    The Geek wrote: »

Sounds like Seattle.

No it gets sunshine

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Angel Grove has numerous hollow skyscrapers which are destroyed and rebuilt weekly.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    The morphing grid constantly generates hollow facades of worlds it's tethered to. As it seeps into Angel Grove new city districts and buildings appear and grow, pushing other structures around and expanding or contracting the space between them.

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    The Geek wrote: »

Sounds like Seattle.

No it gets sunshine

We get more than you think.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    The morphing grid constantly generates hollow facades of worlds it's tethered to. As it seeps into Angel Grove new city districts and buildings appear and grow, pushing other structures around and expanding or contracting the space between them.

I guess what I'm saying is the source of Samothes' power is actually the morphing grid and he has just learned how to direct it

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Did anyone else play the Lightspeed Rescue game back in the day? You didn't even melee enemies, you just punched forward/kicked backwards and energy orbs flew out of you.

They played this on giant bomb once and hooooly shit it looked bad

It was! I don't know if you saw the Megazord fights, but they were also about energy projectiles, but if you got close to an opponent then there was an auto-melee. I remember the lava guy could keep people trapped this way if he got close.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    TankHammer wrote: »
    Angel Grove has numerous hollow skyscrapers which are destroyed and rebuilt weekly.

See, what they do is build the outside first, then fill it up.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    i feel like angel grove was always meant to be a little less overtly LA but they had to use and thus justify a bunch of footage from Another Very Urban City

i think if they'd had their way it'd be Anytown USA

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    There's a new power rangers game out right now

It's 15 bucks on psn

Is it any good, though?

I had some friends up for the weekend last week and I bought it on a whim. We really enjoyed it. Its a fun, nostalgic beat-em up with an alright amount of depth but still enjoyable.

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    So, this might be happening.
    CBR.com wrote:
    Hot on the heels of Netflix quietly announcing a “Castlevania” series by showrunner Adi Shankhar, Polygon reports he is also working on an R-rated reboot of the popular “Mighty Morphin Power Rangers” TV series.

Billed as an animated “‘Power Rangers’ meets ‘Dragonball Z,'” Shankhar described the series as “the most violent version of the show to date.”

“It’s a complete retelling of the first three seasons,” Shankar said. “And it’s going to be really fucking dark. Darker than any other ‘Power Rangers’ series.”

Work has begun on the script for the first season with plans to launch in the next 18 months, even though Shankhar hasn’t found a network to air it. He is aiming to bring it to the home of his current “Castlevania” project. “Netflix is doing what every other network should be doing,” Shankar said. “I’ve worked with almost every network and Netflix just gets it. The world we live in now has disrupted the idea of what entertainment is and Netflix gets it.”

Instead of following the “monster of the week” formula of its predecessor, Shankhar revealed things will be different this time around with more linear storytelling elements.

“If you look at what shows are like today, they’re long movies,” Shankar said. “It’s a format paradigm and I want to explore creating these types of new shows with ‘Power Rangers.'”

Shankar wants his “Power Rangers” to deliver character development along with long epic battles, something that the show of the 90s and “Dragonball Z” have in common. “We’re going to focus on the beats of what made each show great and turn that into one, entirely new ‘Power Rangers’ series,” Shankar revealed.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Apparently Shankar is the guy who did the Power/Rangers short a while ago, so yeah his take is not surprising.

He also doesn't actually have the rights to it. Just something he's pitching.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    so like

you cant just make a show based on someone else's ip right

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    CururuCururu Registered User regular
    so like

you cant just make a show based on someone else's ip right

Almost definitely not. Also, in this case it would be two other groups' IP, since I'm sure Toei would have something to say about the use of Zyuranger imagery.

The idea of an animated Sentai/Rangers show is a great one, since it opens up a lot of options, but Shankar is just about the last person I'd want doing it.

• Options
    How to you get R-rated and "really fucking dark" from Power Rangers meets Dragon Ball Z

Did you even watch the shows you're talking about?

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    How to you get R-rated and "really fucking dark" from Power Rangers meets Dragon Ball Z

These don't sound like they're based on the shows, these sound like they're based on a teenager's hazy memories and fanfiction of the shows.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular

These don't sound like they're based on the shows, these sound like they're based on a teenager's hazy memories and fanfiction of the shows.

At least he's not making up yarmulkes that never existed

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

listen you

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    The Power Rangers short from a few years back was hilarious in how stupidly grimdark it tried to be. It was kind of fun watching James van der Beek and Katie Sackhoff not laugh as they spewed out the edgelord dialogue they'd been given.

But if he seriously thinks he'll be able to convince the Power Rangers company to endorse something like that, he's dumb.

• Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

#shotsfired

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    Somebody should just tell this guy about Garo

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Somebody should just tell this guy about Garo

I tried but he misunderstood and now his next draft has even... darker... shit in it

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

Thats some hollywood marketing straight out of 1999.

• Options
    Twitter teams

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    edited February 2017

Ah yes, really leaning into my complaints I see. God, even if this movie turns out to be amazing, the marketing has be a real hot mess.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    My parents saw a commercial for power rangers and they excitedly told me the next day they can't wait to see it with me

I think they're trying to be cute and make me see a movie I'll think is dumb but actually I'm super excited I'll get to see power rangers + eat theater food for free

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular

This was a sponsored tweet in my feed today and it was like they were trying to come up with the exact phrase to drive me away from the movie

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    I hate Michael Bay even more now that I see his stupid Transformers have infected other franchises

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Ringo wrote: »
    I hate Michael Bay even more now that I see his stupid Transformers have infected other franchises

This looks nothing like transformers but ok

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

Have you seen the megazord? It's got more than a little resemblance to the Bayformer "pile of random mechanical bits pressed into a roughly humanoid shape" aesthetic from the few bits that have managed to sneak into the trailers and the toys.
    I could be wrong (I hope I am) but I'm not really having high expectations for the giant robot action here.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Yeah I was specifically thinking of that shot of the Megazord, sorry I wasn't clear

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    see317 wrote: »

Have you seen the megazord? It's got more than a little resemblance to the Bayformer "pile of random mechanical bits pressed into a roughly humanoid shape" aesthetic from the few bits that have managed to sneak into the trailers and the toys.
    I could be wrong (I hope I am) but I'm not really having high expectations for the giant robot action here.

Yes. It looks nothing like the bayformers, and I actually like those designs. It's sleek and doesn't have any of the "tons of moving parts" aesthetic those designs do.

I don't really like the megazord but its not comparable to those

• Options
    Yeah, the Bay Transformers are all about jagged bits and sharp edges but the Zord designs are all about curves

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    theyre way more guyver inspired

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Ceno wrote: »
    The Power Rangers short from a few years back was hilarious in how stupidly grimdark it tried to be. It was kind of fun watching James van der Beek and Katie Sackhoff not laugh as they spewed out the edgelord dialogue they'd been given.

But if he seriously thinks he'll be able to convince the Power Rangers company to endorse something like that, he's dumb.

I was and still am skeptical it was "intentionally" campy and grimdark.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular

Oh, thank goodness.

Because the last thing Power Rangers should be associated with is spandex. =P

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!