As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This just in: Old games come to [Steam]!

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Antoshka wrote: »
    speaking of oculous rift, has any one else seen the demo video for the guy using a rift and hydra to play it?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-RehCTRrWM0

Hah, this is from the last thread, but I just have to quote it, because this is one of the guys I regularly play with here, and he freaked out slightly over the popularity of the video.

Most of these videos just reinforce the fact that I'll never be able to use an Oculus Rift because of motion sickness. Even watching the video makes me feel off-balance.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    So I went to start putting together my new computer with the parts given to me by work, "Pixelated Pixie" and "Lindsay Lohan" only to discover that the extra case I took from work is too short for the mobo. Oh well. Looks like I'm going to be buying this instead. I've heard great things about it. And with it I'm going to get a new PSU as recommended by the computer build thread and a new SSD. This is SO exciting! I have so much work to do and things to do this week but all I can think of is building this computer!

EDIT: I also came by to mention that GamersGate has Child of Light for 50% off right now. Very tempting to pull the trigger on that finally. They also have a bunch of the King's Bounty games on sale and I was tempted to pick up Armored Princess because I remember someone saying something about the King's Bounty games that made me think I should look into them but I don't remember what it was? Can someone tell me what's good about them?

2nd EDIT: Just realized that Child of Light is UPlay only, not Steam so that makes it less tempting but still, it's sounds like a pretty decent price.

@Ed Gruberman, KB: Armored Princess is delightful. It's a lot like the HOMM games in that battles play out in turns on a hex-grid with your hero on the sideline able to cast spells. (You also get a pet dragon who can level up and do useful and eventually delightfully unfair things. If you get the game, I recommend using a guide just enough to beeline to getting the dragon as you'll want to get it leveling as soon as possible.) Movement around the world is real-time (pausable), looking for NPCs and loot and resources and places that will let you hire more troops. Troop hiring is randomized between games, so that sweet hermit hut with the Royal Snakes (sooooo good in the early game - strike from two spaces away with no counter attack!) only has peasants and wolves on your next playthrough...

It's got a very WoW aesthetic, but it's well done and the world is colorful and lively. The writing is often very funny. Sometimes it's accidentally funny (translation issues are not uncommon), but mostly it does a pretty good job of bringing smiles. A lot of the sidequests are patently absurd.

There is a lot of game. One playthrough of the game is probably north of 50 hours. It can be pretty hard. Generally you'll want to poke around early to find battles rated as "easy" while you level up your character, which gets you more leadership (recruit more troops), more rage (dragon abilities) and more mana (obv.), along with better stats and gear and more spells. Your character has a bunch of badges they can earn for finishing so many battles with no losses, casting certain spells in X battles, looting so much gold, etc. They add incremental advantages that add up a ton over the long game.

Oh, and in a huge upgrade over the first KB, in AP you get a pegasus that's let's you fly around and makes overland travel, so, so, so much less of a slog.

There's just a ton of stuff in the game overall. Sometimes you can even go into your weapon or armor or trinket and fight the creatures that live there to unlock a more powerful version. These are very hard battles relative to when you get the gear, so enter with caution. (Save often, obv.)

It's a fun, meaty game and a steal at it's current $15 pricetag on Steam, much less the $5 and under price it's been running on sale.

All that said, it's not clear that the GamersGate version is actually Steam. It's showing SecuROM as the 3rd part DRM. So let's do this:

signature.png

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    ... and now I want to play Armored Princess again. I never did finish it. Somewhere around 25-30 or so hours in I hit a brick wall where it seemed like I had nowhere to go that I wasn't horribly outmatched and getting trounced. So, I want revenge...

Isn't Warriors in the North the version to get, though? It includes the full Armored Princess campaign plus the expanded stuff? Or am I misremembering that?

(edit: no wait - Crossworlds is the one that includes the AP campaign++)

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Does Armored Princess star a tank with a crown?

Anything else would be a letdown.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    ...I couldn't stop playing Spec Ops: The Line last night.

I kept playing. And kept playing as hours rolled by.

I was playing on Hard and thus was a bit like tissue paper when it came to bullets. And there were so many bullets.

But I finished. Gods damn it all, I finished.

And now I'm finished.

...one survivor (if you can call it that) too many...

(Oh my gods, what a good game. It did my fav thing with games, what with the way games present things to the player. And it even has multiple endings. And yes, you can see them easily just by jumping back into the last chapeter, but I swear, the one I got just feels...right in some way? I wasn't able to fully ignore all spoilers from the game since it's two to three years old now, but...damn. That was one of the best stories and executions of story in gaming that I've seen. I might have to go back and play it again on an easier level to experience the full story again/see different choices play out or maybe even play it again on, dare I, the hardest level for utter pain. Regardless, if you've just joined Steam in the past year, and are looking for a shooter with a great story...here you go.)

steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Siiiiiigh.

Wishlisted Armored princess and crossroads.

You guys gotta stop being such good advertisements for games. My wallet already hates every last one of you.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I think Spec Ops was the first military shooter I've played all the way through since the PS1 Metal of Honor games. So well done - although I'll admit to playing on easy as I'm terrible at the genre.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    ... and now I want to play Armored Princess again. I never did finish it. Somewhere around 25-30 or so hours in I hit a brick wall where it seemed like I had nowhere to go that I wasn't horribly outmatched and getting trounced. So, I want revenge...

Isn't Warriors in the North the version to get, though? It includes the full Armored Princess campaign plus the expanded stuff? Or am I misremembering that?

@Pixelated Pixie, yeah, I never finished AP either. Got stuck in the fiery underworld, I think (or maybe in the hard as nails world after that with the armored slugs that burrow? Dunno.)

I played Warriors of the North to completion in January this year (thanks again, @Ashe!) It's a little buggier than AP (and if you are a completionist at least one of the cheevos can't be triggered). They are basically the same game. WotN has the same UI and playability enhancements from AP (like the flying mount). So you could do either, really.

The biggest difference from AP to WotN that actually got me through the game, was paying attention to the medals early in the game. Really cherry picking battles to level up the "complete X battles with no losses" badge in particular granted some big benefit (+exp earned? +atk? I can't remember, but it was hugely useful) early that then let you take on (somewhat) harder foes. I'd also avoid missile units, even weak ones, as much as possible early on as it's hard to avoid losses until you get something like a teleportation spell or resurrection ability. I got a couple giants with a massive radiation stomp ability early. Teleporting him next to missile units as an opening move and then tanking while my other melee units crossed the field was a strategy that got me all the way through the middle game (until I could no longer max out my stack of giants.) Level 5 units are sooo good. :)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    heenato wrote: »
    Siiiiiigh.

You guys gotta stop being such good advertisements for games. My wallet already hates every last one of you.

You don't need both. Crossworlds includes the full AP campaign.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    Steam Thread, can I gush for a minute about how Project Zomboid might my favourite zombie game ever? I had gotten good at staying out of bite distance, and I had a bat, so I was able to scrounge a bit further from my safehouse. I had stockpiled a whole bunch of food in my fridge, and was feeling pretty secure. I read Carpentry For Beginners while I was cooking some chicken though, and it got burnt. I figured what the hell, I burn food all the time IRL, so I ate it. That was the wrong thing to do. I holed up in the safehouse for several days of intense pain and queasiness, eating healthy fresh food and popping painkillers and beta blockers like they were skittles. This went on for what felt like forever, then my health started ticking down. I figured I was done for, but as I slept that night, I started feeling better! By the next day, I was healthy again! Hooray! Then I went down to the kitchen to find that the water no longer worked, and the power was out.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    xiearsxiears It isn't sexual Strictly confectionalRegistered User regular
    So, I just installed the first Dark Souls. I knew it'd be tough, I wasn't expecting the first challenge to be getting to the title screen. People weren't kidding about GFWL being horrible.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I've got a refund coming back from a failed Indiegogo campaign (which is a bummer of a story for another day/forum), so I decided to make lemonade and grabbed Assetto Corsa while it's still half off due to the recommendations from you fine people. Damn, that's an impressive game. Probably the hardest/realistic-est physics in a racer I've played since Grand Prix Legends, and that's playing it on a 360 controller with the assists set to "Gamer" (i.e. as forgiving as it will probably be). Looks great, and nary a dropped frame even when I went from pounding the track in practise to a 25-car race. The Early Access is still showing, but it's looking mighty promising and is clearly getting regular - and substantial - updates.

I'm very interested to see how it will compare with Project CARS, and vice versa. I think between the two of them and the F1 series I'll be set for racers on various part of the realistic end of the scale for a very long time.

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    xiears wrote: »
    So, I just installed the first Dark Souls. I knew it'd be tough, I wasn't expecting the first challenge to be getting to the title screen. People weren't kidding about GFWL being horrible.

It's one of my favourite games of all time so if you can get it to work, you're in for a ride. I rarely get to put more than a couple of hours into any game these days but I put over 120 hours including a NG+ run which I NEVER do. I really hope you can get it to work to work because GFWL should not deprive you of such a great game and I think everyone should at least give it a shot to see if it's their "thing".

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    I've got a refund coming back from a failed Indiegogo campaign (which is a bummer of a story for another day/forum), so I decided to make lemonade and grabbed Assetto Corsa while it's still half off due to the recommendations from you fine people. Damn, that's an impressive game. Probably the hardest/realistic-est physics in a racer I've played since Grand Prix Legends, and that's playing it on a 360 controller with the assists set to "Gamer" (i.e. as forgiving as it will probably be). Looks great, and nary a dropped frame even when I went from pounding the track in practise to a 25-car race. The Early Access is still showing, but it's looking mighty promising and is clearly getting regular - and substantial - updates.

I'm very interested to see how it will compare with Project CARS, and vice versa. I think between the two of them and the F1 series I'll be set for racers on various part of the realistic end of the scale for a very long time.

Tried the 98T I hope?

Please tell me you did, and that you set it on racing trim with 100% turbo ;)
    Real Spoiler: The engine won't last.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    heenato wrote: »
    Siiiiiigh.

You don't need both. Crossworlds includes the full AP campaign.
    I'm just being thorough in my wishlisting.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options

It's one of my favourite games of all time so if you can get it to work, you're in for a ride. I rarely get to put more than a couple of hours into any game these days but I put over 120 hours including a NG+ run which I NEVER do. I really hope you can get it to work to work because GFWL should not deprive you of such a great game and I think everyone should at least give it a shot to see if it's their "thing".

Yeah, I'm really disappointed I can't get it to run (well the game itself runs fine, I can't get GFWL to work, and I don't fancy playing without being able to save). I'd played a bit on 360 previously and thoroughly enjoyed it, so I was looking forward to playing it proper.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Drovek wrote: »

Tried the 98T I hope?

Please tell me you did, and that you set it on racing trim with 100% turbo ;)
    Real Spoiler: The engine won't last.
    I've certainly given it a shot. It's just as mental as it should be and probably my favorite car in the game so far. Coming out of the final turn on Mugello and letting it rip down the start/finish straight is terrifying.

It's pretty cool being able to use that car for an apples to apples comparison with F1 2013. Obviously AC is simmier, but it's still a ludicrous beast of a car either way. I haven't yet tried twiddling settings so I'll try that on my next go. If I can make the engine grenade I'll be a happy camper.

• Options
    I think Spec Ops was the first military shooter I've played all the way through since the PS1 Metal of Honor games. So well done - although I'll admit to playing on easy as I'm terrible at the genre.

I don't know that I think it's a good enough technical game to warrant playing through it on Hard. I mean, the draw of the game is the story. The mechanics are functional. I haven't tried it on easy or medium to see how it feels compared to hard, but outside of achievements, I would probably suggest someone simply play it on easy or medium, whichever will keep you engaged enough to play through the whole thing. I did notice a couple of...interesting things toward the end of the game due to me getting riddled with bullets, but honestly, that last sequence of combat took FOREVER due to me being stubborn about finishing it on Hard all the way through. Probably foolish, on review.

Regardless, I wouldn't worry about doing it on Easy. I may need to do just that on my next big long story game, Alan Wake. Well, maybe medium. But this was just brutal. Fit the story, but it did delay it in a few places for too long.

All in all, still satisfied with the game. Glad I played it and glad I finished it.

• Options
    Dammit, Skyrim. You're not the only game in my library. Please understand, I have to split my -- ow, ow, ow! Okay okay! No pinching! I'll keep playing... for another 750 hours or so.

I'm totally going to end up buying more DLC, ain't I?

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Crap now I'm realizing that I haven't installed GFWL on my new computer. Well there's a project waiting for me when I finally hit up Dark Souls. :|

edit: apparently I got it configured when I installed DS and forgot. One short update and it's ready to go. Neato.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Marikir wrote: »

I don't know that I think it's a good enough technical game to warrant playing through it on Hard. I mean, the draw of the game is the story. The mechanics are functional. I haven't tried it on easy or medium to see how it feels compared to hard, but outside of achievements, I would probably suggest someone simply play it on easy or medium, whichever will keep you engaged enough to play through the whole thing. I did notice a couple of...interesting things toward the end of the game due to me getting riddled with bullets, but honestly, that last sequence of combat took FOREVER due to me being stubborn about finishing it on Hard all the way through. Probably foolish, on review.

Regardless, I wouldn't worry about doing it on Easy. I may need to do just that on my next big long story game, Alan Wake. Well, maybe medium. But this was just brutal. Fit the story, but it did delay it in a few places for too long.

All in all, still satisfied with the game. Glad I played it and glad I finished it.

I think I'm such an old fart that I remember when games used to pull a "Finished on Easy? Play on Hard to see the rest of the story" and end a level or two early so I always get nervous picking anything lower than Medium. Alan Wake is something I really need to go back to too actually. Right now I'm playing through Bioshock Infinite.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2014

Yeah, I'm really disappointed I can't get it to run (well the game itself runs fine, I can't get GFWL to work, and I don't fancy playing without being able to save). I'd played a bit on 360 previously and thoroughly enjoyed it, so I was looking forward to playing it proper.

Make an offline account? That's what I did. I used the same account with Space Asshole. It just makes a save file in Documents/My Games, and those save files can be moved around if needed (or at least they could when I was having problems logging on forever ago when I played Fallout 3), so ostensibly, you could move those saves to both an on or offline account folder.

I think I'm such an old fart that I remember when games used to pull a "Finished on Easy? Play on Hard to see the rest of the story" and end a level or two early so I always get nervous picking anything lower than Medium. Alan Wake is something I really need to go back to too actually. Right now I'm playing through Bioshock Infinite.

PLOK! was a game like that. And I told it to fuck itself. If a game wanted me to play on a certain level of play to see the whole story, then being coy and giving me the option of Easy Mode is, in my opinion, Bullshit™.

Kalnaur on
    I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options

Heh, that's funny because I do the same thing. I hated that as a kid, the "you don't get the full ending if you play on Easy" BS. I probably haven't run into that in over a decade and yet I still have this stupid hesitation about picking Easy.

Now, that's not to say that I have never enjoyed a game on Hard. Hell, I LOVED The Last of Us on my PS3 on Hard and would recommend that difficulty all day long. It just felt right, even if it was pretty tricky at times. Like I said, if felt right.

But yeah, I'm trying to get over that Easy vs Hard hurdle in my mind.

• Options
    I play quite a few games on easy now. Especially shooters because I'm absolutely horrible at them.

I used to be embarrassed about my easy-mode-gaming (and especially hated when games would mention it in the cheevo so everyone knew: "Finished game on easy difficulty!"). Now, screw it - I don't care. I play for entertainment, and sometimes I just spend too much time/effort struggling against the mechanics to enjoy the experience.

Also, some games just have really shitty mechanics anyway.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular

make sure you try the Zonda round Monza 66, it's so much fun! it may be a little hard on a 360 controller but I guess that's what the assists are for? with my Driving Force GT it feels amazing to drive, the force feedback pretty much locks the wheel up solid when you floor it on the straights, the car just spins out easily if you change down gear without braking enough first to get your revs down

I'm absolutely loving Assetto Corsa so far and all I'm really doing is hotlaps and a couple of time attacks, the AI at the minute is terrible so hopefully they will change that and put in a decent career mode

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I can't recall running into that "you don't get the full ending if you play on Easy" nonsense. All I can remember is maybe a "hidden" ending for finishing it on the hardest setting, like Halo 3 did... although I swear I saw that ending on Normal.

• Options
    rikdaly wrote: »

make sure you try the Zonda round Monza 66, it's so much fun! it may be a little hard on a 360 controller but I guess that's what the assists are for? with my Driving Force GT it feels amazing to drive, the force feedback pretty much locks the wheel up solid when you floor it on the straights, the car just spins out easily if you change down gear without braking enough first to get your revs down

I'm absolutely loving Assetto Corsa so far and all I'm really doing is hotlaps and a couple of time attacks, the AI at the minute is terrible so hopefully they will change that and put in a decent career mode

Yeah, the AI is seriously ropey, but I suppose it's functional for an Early Access game. (Or EA. Heh.)

I haven't taken the Zonda out yet; I did try the Huayra and it kept trying to kill me. I remember on Top Gear when Stig took it out and it was squirming under braking for the Hammerhead... that car must be utterly epic IRL.

Monza '66 is lovely. I hope there's a few more old track layouts in the final game, it evokes GPL in the best possible way with tracks like that.

• Options
    rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    I do prefer the 66 version of Monza, it's the easiest track by far but it's great for learning how each car handles

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ShadeShade Registered User regular
    Finally got my Lets Play setup...setup. I'll talk to the subnautica guys at PAX and see if I can get an invite and if I can record it for the Childs Play gola we hit. Also I guess I can do let plays now, so that a thing. I've testing out syncing audacity with shadow play on minecraft and its working well so far. Soon my intense phobia will be a source of your guilt amusement!

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Kalnaur wrote: »

Make an offline account? That's what I did. I used the same account with Space Asshole. It just makes a save file in Documents/My Games, and those save files can be moved around if needed (or at least they could when I was having problems logging on forever ago when I played Fallout 3), so ostensibly, you could move those saves to both an on or offline account folder.

Thanks for this! God, they really don't make that option easy to find, I had no idea it was there until I saw your post, and even then it took me a good 5 mins to find it. I'm still miffed I'll miss out on the PvP/invasion shiz but it's better than not playing it at all.

I'm in, Asylum Demon down, onward to the first bell!

xiears on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options

Thanks for this! God, they really don't make that option easy to find, I had no idea it was there until I saw your post, and even then it took me a good 5 mins to find it. I'm still miffed I'll miss out on the PvP/invasion shiz but it's better than not playing it at all.

I'm not a PvP fan, so it was all good for me, though after defeating the Asylum Demon I haven't gone back to the game. Not that I wasn't enjoying myself, but that I keep getting snagged on random games in my library.

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    rikdaly wrote: »

Yeah, the AI is seriously ropey, but I suppose it's functional for an Early Access game. (Or EA. Heh.)

I haven't taken the Zonda out yet; I did try the Huayra and it kept trying to kill me. I remember on Top Gear when Stig took it out and it was squirming under braking for the Hammerhead... that car must be utterly epic IRL.

Monza '66 is lovely. I hope there's a few more old track layouts in the final game, it evokes GPL in the best possible way with tracks like that.

Something you both fine gentlemen may enjoy: RSR live timing app.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    The only recent example I can think of is Jamestown. Later levels aren't available on lower difficulty settings.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options

At this stage in the game's life, online/pvp is pretty much all hacks and cheats anyway and distinctly not fun in any way, so you aren't missing anything.

Well, except for the constant messages advising you to TRY JUMPING off every insta-death ledge everywhere. Because golly that never gets old, does it?

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular

There is still a some virtual PVP/co-op that you will be able to access so it's not a total loss but yeah, I don't think the PVP or Co-op community is very good now. Especially until you hit the later levels where you might have comparable gear but still, there are definitely some cheaters in the game so take that for what it's worth.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    Karrde1842Karrde1842 Registered User regular
    Dark Souls was the worst game I've ever played. Not a popular opinion, I know.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular

At this stage in the game's life, online/pvp is pretty much all hacks and cheats anyway and distinctly not fun in any way, so you aren't missing anything.

Well, except for the constant messages advising you to TRY JUMPING off every insta-death ledge everywhere. Because golly that never gets old, does it?

When you've never played the game before, not every one of those is a lie... ;)

• Options
    jclast wrote: »
    The only recent example I can think of is Jamestown. Later levels aren't available on lower difficulty settings.

I'm glad I know this before starting it. That would have pissed me off.

What level of difficulty is required to access all the stages?

• Options
    Fawst wrote: »

When you've never played the game before, not every one of those is a lie... ;)

Which is what makes it even more annoying. You either played jaded and ignore them all and miss out on STUFF, or you put on a stupid grin and jump off every single ledge "because someone told me to!" and die over and over and over.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    I always get so confused on the morning of a new Steam thread. I sit down with my coffee, check my bookmarked threads, "how is the Steam thread so far down?! Did something horrible happen?!"

Oh. New, unbookmarked thread.

This discussion has been closed.