As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Spend more on snacks than what it cost to get in, cause you're at the [Movies]

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    I don't understand, they made Van Helsing already

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Jimothy wrote: »
    So apparently Dracula Untold is the start of Universal's shared monster movie universe, and there will be something at the end to hint at the next film

Yeah they've been talking about this for a while

They literally said they want to make a monster avengers

"I am Gill-man."

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Mysst wrote: »

I would slap my best friend for a proper Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde with a good cast, script and director.

And a Wolfman movie.

And a Frankenstein movie.

And a Mummy movie.

Just slappin' all up ins.

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    The Universal Monsters do have a history of crossovers with Frankenstein Vs the Wolfman and House of Frankenstein. So on one level I kinda think it's neat. Buuuut I kinda doubt the execution will be all that stellar.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=1t0A_tZGrYw

While I am sure the movie will be fine

This trailer screams HEY WE'RE PIXAR, REMEMBER ALL THOSE GREAT THINGS WE DID BEFORE DISNEY STEPPED UP ITS CGI GAME AND WE KINDA MADE A FEW MISSTEPS YEAH WE'RE PIXAR!!! to me

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    Okay this might actually get me to see the movie

Fucking hilarious

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    It has to be called Now You Don't

right

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Jimothy wrote: »
    It has to be called Now You Don't

right

Now You've Seen Me

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Look Who's Seeing Too

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Where the hell is my Master and Commander 2? I NEED more movies with realistic age of sail naval combat.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    You know what kind of naval combat we need?

Some Roman Republic naval combat. I was reading up on that the other day, and goodness, I knew the Romans were hilarious assholes, but their naval strategy is insane.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »

Some Roman Republic naval combat. I was reading up on that the other day, and goodness, I knew the Romans were hilarious assholes, but their naval strategy is insane.

Care to elaborate?

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »

Care to elaborate?

Yeah sure.

Okay, so the Romans were not very good at sailing. Ship to ship combat around this time was pretty much based around ramming the hell out of your opponent, and that requires a good deal of sailing skill. However, the Romans were great at infantry based conflicts, and they knew it, so they invented a couple of things to help them out.

The first was pretty basic. It was a long plank of wood you'd mount onto the prow of your ship, hinged and flipped up vertically and held up by ropes. On the end, it had a big metal spike that looked like a crow's beak. So they'd get their one successful ramming action, and drop the ropes on this sucker, at which point in dropped down and sunk into the deck of the other ship. This prevented the other ship from moving and allowed the Roman soldiers to give up this sailing bullshit and storm their deck.

Of course, it was also insanely top heavy, and would capsize ships, so they got to work on something else.

Their second ship to ship combat strategy was a ballista. But not just like, as a weapon to attack the enemy ship and keep moving. No, they shot extra long bolts with these, constructed from solid iron, the front end covered in hooks, and the back end with ropes attached to winches back on their ship. The bolt was long enough that their enemies would have difficulty reaching the rope with their weapons, and the Romans would just winch themselves right up next to the other ship and board it.

• Options
    Peter K. Rosenthal returns to review Gone Girl: http://www.theonion.com/video/the-onion-reviews-gone-girl,37086/

• Options
    existexist Registered User regular

I would slap my best friend for a proper Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde with a good cast, script and director.

And a Wolfman movie.

And a Mummy movie.

You will not get this from the Dracula Untold line of movies

UmPiq.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    You Can't See Me, with special guest John Cena

• Options
    I would pay many dollars to see John Cena try and do stage magic

With his three doves, Hustle, Loyalty and Respect

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »

Care to elaborate?

Yeah sure.

Okay, so the Romans were not very good at sailing. Ship to ship combat around this time was pretty much based around ramming the hell out of your opponent, and that requires a good deal of sailing skill. However, the Romans were great at infantry based conflicts, and they knew it, so they invented a couple of things to help them out.

The first was pretty basic. It was a long plank of wood you'd mount onto the prow of your ship, hinged and flipped up vertically and held up by ropes. On the end, it had a big metal spike that looked like a crow's beak. So they'd get their one successful ramming action, and drop the ropes on this sucker, at which point in dropped down and sunk into the deck of the other ship. This prevented the other ship from moving and allowed the Roman soldiers to give up this sailing bullshit and storm their deck.

Of course, it was also insanely top heavy, and would capsize ships, so they got to work on something else.

Their second ship to ship combat strategy was a ballista. But not just like, as a weapon to attack the enemy ship and keep moving. No, they shot extra long bolts with these, constructed from solid iron, the front end covered in hooks, and the back end with ropes attached to winches back on their ship. The bolt was long enough that their enemies would have difficulty reaching the rope with their weapons, and the Romans would just winch themselves right up next to the other ship and board it.

HAH that is badass. I knew about the spike planks for that sweet post-ram boarding action, but I had no idea they actually had winching, grapple-ballistas! Crazy fuckers.

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    cena? i damn near sawed 'a!

in half!

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    i can guarantee you that joke kills somewhere in our galaxy

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    cena? i damn near sawed 'a!

in half!
    Wait are you proposing we have Mark Whalberg play John Cena

Because yes I love it

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Denzel Washington as Mark Wahlberg as John Cena.

• Options
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    Peter K. Rosenthal returns to review Gone Girl: http://www.theonion.com/video/the-onion-reviews-gone-girl,37086/

Very funny, but verrrrrrry spoilery, if that's a thing you worry about

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    i can guarantee you that joke kills somewhere in our galaxy

It's a big galaxy, granted.
    But not that big.

• Options
    Reading The Dissolve's review of Gone Girl, in preparation for seeing it tonight:
    "A Nancy Grace-like figure played by Missi Pyle emphasizes this forcefully, to the point of inelegance."

What, uh... What way do you "elegantly" portray the presence of Nancy Grace and her ilk in the media?

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Reading The Dissolve's review of Gone Girl, in preparation for seeing it tonight:
    "A Nancy Grace-like figure played by Missi Pyle emphasizes this forcefully, to the point of inelegance."

What, uh... What way do you "elegantly" portray the presence of Nancy Grace and her ilk in the media?

You put her in a sequined dress and make sure she is always carrying a flute of champagne.

• Options
    I wish a hole would open up in the earth and swallow nancy grace

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I wish a hole would open up in the earth and swallow nancy grace

That'd be nice.

For a day.

"BUT WAS THAT HOLE DUG BY HER HUSBAND?! Hi, I'm Shmancy Shmace, and there is a QUESTION that needs an ANSWER."

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    well I mean the figurative mouth of hell is her literal mouth, so, y'know, no chance of it anyway

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I love Peter K Rosenthal

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular

And a Wolfman movie.

And a Mummy movie.

let me tell you about Abott and Costello Meet "X" movies

• Options
    Langly wrote: »

And a Wolfman movie.

And a Mummy movie.

did he give it to 'em?

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    would i be surprised if dmx was a wolfman? perhaps mildly.

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options

I ever tell y'all about the afternoon DMX spent at my hotel, barking at all the white people that entered?

One of the highest highlights of my life, by a wide margin.

I say that as a man who has experienced true love

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »

And a Wolfman movie.

And a Mummy movie.

did he give it to 'em?

what?

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular

I ever tell y'all about the afternoon DMX spent at my hotel, barking at all the white people that entered?

when I see you tonight and say "elaborate. NOW." this is what I am referring to

• Options
    What needs to be elaborated there? I'm pretty sure that's a complete and astounding anecdote.

• Options
    YaYa wrote: »

when I see you tonight and say "elaborate. NOW." this is what I am referring to

Further detail would only cheapen it.

"...And so THEN, a DIFFERENT white family walked by... and he barked at THEM!"

This discussion has been closed.