As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

METAL... GEAR?!

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    the woman on that poster is way bigger than 50 ft

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    http://youtu.be/IjXc8F9n0_U
    you get this convo after fighting ocelot at the ravine

I can only assume Snake put the pieces together when he saw the Boss for the last time, but I dunno he's pretty dense in 3

Yeah, I got to that part in HD the other day but the conversation never showed up.

Hence why the theory that it has to be on a second playthrough seems accurate.

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Spent the first six hours of my workday watching a YouTube playlist of MGS3 ... even just listening to the action makes me jones for that fucking game.

• Options
    JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    I bought the HD collection...

signature.png

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    one of us, one of us

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Just remembered another Snake Eater mechanic: Snake will actually start tolerating and eventually like food that he initially found disgusting.

Love it.

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    But I already own the baseline MGS games!

Should I...should I also buy the HD collection?

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Yes

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    The only reason I can think of to not buy the HD Collection is if there's a PS4/Xbone collection in the works.

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    Just remembered another Snake Eater mechanic: Snake will actually start tolerating and eventually like food that he initially found disgusting.

Love it.

man, you learn something new about snake eater every day

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    I still think The End is one of the best boss fights I can remember. The fact that you can completely avoid that fight in the first place is so cool.

• Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    bombardier wrote: »
    I still think The End is one of the best boss fights I can remember. The fact that you can completely avoid that fight in the first place is so cool.

In my playthrough I actually did avoid it. I've never done it.

Once I finish Peace Walker I am excited to replay MGS3 partially just to do the fight for real.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    So many different ways to approach it. The first time, I scoped him out a bit, then shot and ate his bird, which he did NOT like.

I eventually lucked out and came across him when he was looking the other way, having apparently lost track of me. I tranqed him, which prompted him to toss a flashbang and run off. For an old man who's powered by photosynthesis, he's fast.

So from then on I periodically threw on my thermal goggles which allowed me to track his footsteps. That let me creep up on him a few more times for the stamina kill.

Pretty sure the second time I played it, I attempted to use a shotgun on him, and that didn't go over too well. One time I got him when he was in his wheelchair just to see what happens later in the designated boss fight area, and it was swarming with soldiers.

The amount of gameplay diversity that the game is prepared for is incredible.

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    I definitely wouldn't like it if anyone ate my bird.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I swear, when I shot his bird, The End said, "Oh..." in the most depressed old man voice.

• Options
    JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    Ocelot just meowed at me what the fuck I want my money back.

signature.png

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I've never had the sniper rifle on me to take him out early
    As for the actual fight, I really like the design of it but I am the worst at actually tracking him down

• Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    my strategy for the end was flawless

run out in the open until he shoots me a whole bunch, and then like a damn fool he's revealed himself and now i can shoot him back

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    The first time I fought him, I entered a countersniping battle against him.

The second time, I tracked him down.

The third time was a week later and I was shocked.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    JohnHam wrote: »
    Ocelot just meowed at me what the fuck I want my money back.

what the hell were you paying for, if not this?

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I've played MGS3 like 7 times and I think I've only done the End fight "properly" once

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    If I can beat the first boss non-lethal then I have a really hard time breaking that streak during the game.

• Options
    Using the mic to scout out his position was frustrating at first until I figured out that his breathing was limited to one zone ... took about twenty minutes, but it was worth the realization that he only had a handful of hiding spots.

I also remember capturing a lot of animals (specifically venomous snakes) on my first run; someone had spoiled The Sorrow fight for me and using snakes to handle guards became my default MO.

• Options
    Snake kills don't count as you killing? That's pretty amazing.

• Options
    This is my new game plus so I already have the stuff I get for beating them non lethally so thus time I'm just blasting away with the Patriot and it's a breeze

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Heh, I've started a new game+ as well, with stealth camo and the spirit camo it has become a game of grabbing fools out of thin air and interrogating them harshly for radio codes. I imagine discussions back at base along the lines of "The jungle...it came alive and took him!"

I love this game :)

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    http://uk-blog.konami-europe.com/2014/10/01/pes2015-and-metal-gear-solid-v-the-phantom-pain-at-igomir-2014/
    METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN will be represented by a themed display that recreates a military installation as seen in the game. Within this is a 50-seater cinema area where visitors will be greeted by a specially-filmed presentation that features stunning footage from the game, showing updated content and a new location. KONAMI is also planning a series of Igromir-specific announcements regarding the series, which are certain to delight local fans of the series.

I just want a release date already.

I don't think I can handle them showing more stuff, just go dark and give a release date.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

This is from forever ago but I can't unsee the typo in the katakana.

It reads suhiido instead of supiido.

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    As for the actual fight, I really like the design of it but I am the worst at actually tracking him down

Holy shit I say this and then I get to The End on this playthrough and I manage to get his Moss Camo and stamina kill him which I've never done before
    Feels good, man

• Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular

Holy shit I say this and then I get to The End on this playthrough and I manage to get his Moss Camo and stamina kill him which I've never done before
    Feels good, man

IT FEELS SO GOOD

• Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    I like to blast the Benny Hill theme and chase The End around with a shotgun.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    And now

The Ladder

• Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    And now

The Ladder

what a thrill...

• Options
    not for honor

but for youuuuuuuuuuuuuu

• Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    wow drew is REALLY bad at this liquid fight

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    I'm watching too Zay

it's pretty bad

• Options
    fucking DAMN IT I keep setting off alerts on these cliffs

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Drew is fighting Liquid and there's still an hour left on the episode

I'm scared

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    fucking DAMN IT I keep setting off alerts on these cliffs

Have you tried the binoculars trick at all?

Use your binos to zoom in on a stationary target at range, zero the crosshairs on their head ...

And then swap to your weapon of choice to headshot them at range.

Works every time when you need to make a long range tranq/kill shot.

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    As if I didn't have enough of a backlog, you jerks finally pushed me over the edge and I fired up Snake Eater again.

God that theme song is just great.

This discussion has been closed.