As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trip to Chicago area

Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..."a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
edited August 2014 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm a month away from a trip to Illinois. It looks like my hotel is pretty much a straight shot on the highway from O'Hare, but I don't want to rent a car and public transit looks like it will be a big hassle with luggage (have to change train/bus several times). Will a taxi be crazy expensive, or should I look into a livery car or something? My hotel is this one. (I've already checked and there isn't an airport shuttle.)

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
oE0mva1.jpg
Mike Danger on

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Yup, it will be an hour plus to take public transportation since that hotel is outside the practical zone. Take a cab, it'll be a 20 min ride. American Taxi has an app you can reserve a taxi which you'll want to do out of O'Hare.

• Options
    CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    I've lived in the Chicagoland area my entire life, and did a quick estimate of the cost of a cab. You should expect the fair to be just under 45 bucks with a 15% tip, for a single passenger. (Cabs charge extra for driving people between O'hare and the suburbs.)

That's a lot. But taking the CTA (which is what I assume you were talking about) with luggage will be a NIGHTMARE. And the Blue Line isn't exactly the safest train in Chicago. So I'd just go with the cab.

• Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    I think the extra comes from an "airport tax". Regardless, cab it, although a rental car wouldn't be so bad since you're in the burbs. How long you staying? I think rental cars are about 30 bucks a day.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    @Mike Danger

You're not in the Chicago downtown area at that location, so you don't want to use the downtown cabs. You'll want to call one of the suburban taxi companies when you arrive and wait for the pickup. If you do not and use one of the downtown cabs, you're going to get hit with a 50% surcharge.

I've used American taxi before when I've gone on trips to get to and from O'hare, they've been fine so far in about 20 odd trips over the last few years. It should run you around $30 bucks or so with tip.

http://www.americantaxi.com/ATOnlineOrderWeb/main.htm

You'll just have to call in when you arrive and have your luggage picked up. The waiting area for the suburban cabs is in the middle of the taxi/bus area. The downtown cabs are immediately by the door when you exit. You'll want to go to the center area where it says "Suburban Cab" pickup area and wait for the cab # that you got in the confirmation to show up.

Are you going to have transportation once you get to the hotel? The western burbs are not too easy to get around without a car.

• Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    Are you going to have transportation once you get to the hotel? The western burbs are not too easy to get around without a car.

Yeah, there's gonna be a shuttle for the wedding that I'm going to. Thanks for all the help guys! Gonna look at that American Taxi stuff now.

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg