As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MechWarrior Online] Thread Reactor Critical! Eject! Eject!

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    @HydroSqueegee‌ nuuuuuuu I just got in vent!

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Harrumph.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    Damn you! Im headed out and wont be back till this evening.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    nice to hear that everything apparently went smoothly for once

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I keep getting "A network error has occurred" now, but I was able to get in without issue earlier.

• Options
    I managed to get into a match, but it hung up and began lagging terribly as soon as I dropped. I'm not having any other network/internet issues so I'm thinking it's on PGI's end.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Yeah, I managed to log in.

But it gave me an unknown error when I attempted to search for a match, when I tried again it seemed to have found one..then dropped me to login with a connection lost error.

So things haven't much changed.

• Options
    The game just let me get back on, but it is implying that my match is already over, which seems impossible. I've never seen a match end in less than 3 minutes. It's like I never actually connected to that game.

• Options
    Heh, 3 minutes ago Russ tweeted that everything is back up. I just got into a match and then got a 1 minute to service shut down message, and then got kicked.

• Options
    nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    If MWO was shop class in high school:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bByELuZS-Os

No, but seriously, ever get tired of watching people peek over a hill and go down in a split second to a face full of pain? You might lose an arm, but just twisting to one side after you take a peek is a great way watching the rest of the match from your cockpit instead of spectating. Learning to control armor damage is pretty much a required skill for piloting Mediums and Assaults.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    I went 1-5 today in the timber S. I averaged 476 damage a match. 5 losses in a row after the first win. Granted, i had a couple instances where we blundered into the enemy team and i died horribly, but overall, the pugs on my team sucked. :(

And i only managed 4 kills in all my games. I was too busy trying to cripple anything i could by blowing off side torsos.

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    imperialparadoximperialparadox Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Maybe that just means that you are a good player, so you must be punished by getting matched up with bads to make things "fair."

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo Network ID: imperialparadox | 3DS FC: 2294-4029-6793
    XBL Gamertag: Paradox3351 | PSN: imperialparadox
  • Options
    Maybe that just means that you are a good player, so you must be punished by getting matched up with bads to make things "fair."

im pretty average. maybe above average on a good day.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    there is still a shitload of people playing trial novas too

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    edited August 2014

I wonder how exactly ELO brackets work? Like what there ranges are. I suppose having a ration greater than 1:1 by definition makes you better than average, but I wonder what ratios the top players have, or what ratios "good" players have. I think I do too many silly builds to tank my ELO, but I also play in the solo queue a lot, which makes me seem better than I am.

For the mechs that I run a lot since the stat reset I have the following:

Ember - 73 matches; 1.09 W/L, 3.13 K/D, which is a hilarious disparity
    Griffon-N - 86 matches; 1.32 W/L, 1.78 K/D
    Timberwolf - 79 matches; 1.03 W/L, 1.82 K/D
    Nova - 68 matches; 1.28 W/L, 2.94 K/D
    Kit Fox - 52 matches; 1.36 W/L, 1.71 K/D

So I'm better at killing things than I am at winning, and I'm more deadly with mechs that have machineguns (it's not kill stealing, I swear)! I guess I've above average, but not anything really that special? I have no idea.

imperialparadox on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    it's not clear to what extent there even are elo 'brackets,' or what the tolerance for mixing people between them is. I have won roughly 55% of my games since they reset the stats in april or whenever that was, which might not be any great shakes in the context of the old org pubstomp days but should certainly be enough to put me in some type of above-average group. And yet, I still frequently get matched with people who are obviously terrible and/or new.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    GokerzGokerz Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I just wanted to put the dual AC20 on my Firebrand for a change of pace, maybe a few games for the hell of it. I had no intention of keeping a build this meta for so long!
    But then I found out just how little armour most Clan mechs have on their legs... and now I can't stop! >:)

Also, I'm on Vent. come and join me!

Gokerz on
    causality.png
  • Options
    If MWO was shop class in high school:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bByELuZS-Os

No, but seriously, ever get tired of watching people peek over a hill and go down in a split second to a face full of pain? You might lose an arm, but just twisting to one side after you take a peek is a great way watching the rest of the match from your cockpit instead of spectating. Learning to control armor damage is pretty much a required skill for piloting Mediums and Assaults.

This guy sounds like he's an advanced speech synthesizer, also my preferred method for dealing with incoming LRMs is to hide behind pugs that are being bad. I may have killed one or two allied assaults this way (never with you guys, only pugs)

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Gokerz wrote: »
    I just wanted to put the dual AC20 on my Firebrand for a change of pace, maybe a few games for the hell of it. I had no intention of keeping a build this meta for so long!
    But then I found out just how little armour most Clan mechs have on their legs... and now I can't stop! >:)

Also, I'm on Vent. come and join me!

Dual AC/20's is hardly meta. Where's the Dual-PPC/Gauss, strip-a-vital-panel-from-800-meters, where-did-that-come-from rage-inducement?

No no. The Dual AC/20's is an intimate death weapon. You have to be close, you have to hug your target, and they will know who killed them.

So, shed no pride for mounting Dual AC/20's. You're doing the lord's work with every limb and torso bombastically removed from the enemies' machines.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    mellestadmellestad Registered User regular
    Plus, my understanding of ELO is it's only matching individuals, not teams, right? So worst case if your ELO is high there will be one other high-ELO player on the other team. Could be wrong though.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Edit. Nm im retarded

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    it's not clear to what extent there even are elo 'brackets,' or what the tolerance for mixing people between them is. I have won roughly 55% of my games since they reset the stats in april or whenever that was, which might not be any great shakes in the context of the old org pubstomp days but should certainly be enough to put me in some type of above-average group. And yet, I still frequently get matched with people who are obviously terrible and/or new.

Well, I guess since the matchmaker tries to make things "even," a 50% win rate would be "normal," it's what the game tries to enforce, right?

Really makes it frustrating when you have those matches where you have 4 kills and a thousand damage, and that's pretty much it for your team.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    All the Summoners in the house say 'Heeeeey'

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    All the Summoners in the house say 'Heeeeey'

Sorry...I couldn't hear any "Heeeeey"-ing over the sound of my lb20x arm kablamming...

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I am seeing more summoners tonight.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    OrickOrick Registered User regular

You are way overestimating 'average'.

If ELO and match maker work properly, everyone should have win/loss ration around 1:1. That doesn't mean you are average though. Just means you are playing against ppl similar ELO to you.

Judging by spectating, average player can just about lock on target and toros twist under fire.

• Options
    But torso twisting takes me off target and I cant Dakka!

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    But torso twisting takes me off target and I cant Dakka!

You can dakka when the guns are reloaded!

• Options
    Second week of Sept is the Cbill release of Summoner. If the trend holds hopefully we'll be getting the camo unlocked as well

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    But youll still be playing a summoner

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    But youll still be playing a summoner

That's fine.

Underestimate the Summoner and focus on someone else.

I'll just be scooping out your internals.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    So yeah, that Timberwolf build with 2xCLPL 5xCERML is pretty good. I feel dirty.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Event Type: Sale
    Event Begins: Friday, August 29th at 10:00AM PDT
    Event Ends: Tuesday, September 2nd at 10:00AM PDT

35% off on Mechs:

Light
    Commando COM-2D
    Firestarter FS9-H
    Firestarter FS9-S
    Jenner JR7-D
    Locust LCT-1E
    Locust LCT-1M
    Locust LCT-1V
    Raven RVN-3L
    Spider SDR-5D

Medium
    Blackjack BJ-1
    Blackjack BJ-1DC
    Blackjack BJ-3
    Cicada CDA-2A
    Cicada CDA-2B
    Cicada CDA-3C
    Centurion CN9-A
    Centurion CN9-D
    Griffin GRF-1N
    Griffin GRF-3M
    Hunchback HBK-4G
    Hunchback HBK-4H
    Hunchback HBK-4J
    Hunchback HBK-4P
    Hunchback HBK-4SP
    Kintaro KTO-18
    Shadowhawk SHD-2D
    Shadowhawk SHD-2D2
    Shadowhawk SHD-2H
    Trebuchet TBT-5N
    Trebuchet TBT-7K
    Trebuchet TBT-7M
    Wolverine WVR-6R

Heavy
    Catapult CPLT-C1
    Catapult CPLT-C4
    Cataphract CTF-1X
    Cataphract CTF-3D
    JaegerMech JM6-A
    JaegerMech JM6-DD
    JaegerMech JM6-S
    Orion ON1-K
    Orion ON1-M
    Quickdraw QKD-4G
    Quickdraw QKD-4H
    Thunderbolt TDR-5S
    Thunderbolt TDR-9S

Assault
    Atlas AS7-K
    Awesome AWS-8Q
    Awesome AWS-8R
    Awesome AWS-8T
    Awesome AWS-8V
    Awesome AWS-9M
    Battlemaster BLR-1D
    Battlemaster BLR-1G
    Battlemaster BLR-3M
    Battlemaster BLR-3S
    Banshee BNC-3E
    Banshee BNC-3S
    Stalker STK-3F
    Stalker STK-3H
    Stalker STK-4N
    Stalker STK-5M
    Stalker STK-5S
    Victor VTR-9B
    Victor VTR-9K

50 percent off on Cockpit Decorations:
    Davion Holo - Standing
    Davion Banner - Standing
    Davion Medallion - Hanging
    Davion Dreamcatcher - Hanging

50 percent off on Paints:
    Black Cherry - Red
    Crimson - Red
    Ox Blood - Red
    Maize - Yellow

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Ugh.

Want an Awesome.

But I can finish off my Hunchbacks this weekend though.

Choices are hard.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    I find I like the Nova with 12x ERMLAS more than with 6x ERMLAS and 6x ERSLAS.

With the MLAS/ERLAS build I find I've constantly got the wrong arm exposed, and when I lose an arm it's always the one I really need. Having 12 medium lasers really just means you have a backup set of lasers; using all 12 of them is kind of hopeless outside of the occasional 1-2 punch against a hapless 'mech.

The fixed jump jets on some clan 'mechs really feels weird--it would make sense if that were a drawback of all Clan jumping 'mechs, but being able to remove them on some and not others pretty much makes the 'mechs with removable jets superior. It's part of the reason the Timberwolf is so much better than the Summoner. The T-wolf has the correct number of jump jets (that being one) while the Summoner wastes tonnage on useless extra jets.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    11xCERSLAS + 1xCERPPC has worked best for me so far. Big, heat-efficient punch in either arm for easy fire groups, a big long-range hitter with the ERPPC, and firepower redundancy so losing an arm isn't that big a deal.

The CERPPC also means you can throw it in with a blast from the arms for a big damage boost without long beam duration times or causing heat penalty issues.

• Options
    I thought they werent having a sale this weekend? But i guess i got that confused since they said no event. Typical Davions.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    heartbreaker. spider had 1 deep red leg left, but too far away for me to hit. and the kit fox had 2 ML left. :(

aoZcclJ.jpg

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    To get the new mech I got to clear a mech bay.

Choices are:

Locustx2(keeping the one with cbill bonuses for shits and giggles) or the Orion O-1NK. The Orion is there because I have the protector and the va as well. And pretty much everything you can build on an O-1NK you can build on a protector. The difference is the Protector has 2 ballistics with 3 energy instead of 4 energy and 1 ballistic. Both have two missiles in the same place.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    get in vent ya jerks! i see you online!

kx3klFE.png