As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Fucking Thread About the 2016 Elections, Seriously, What the Hell, I Don't Even

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    Just get used to it. Hillary is going to be the 2016 Democratic nominee, barring her death or a horrible, impossible-to-predict gaffe on her part. Neither is likely.

I'm honestly more interested in who the Republicans will get to run against her. Their field is looking pretty barren. I would laugh my ass off if they try to run Romney again.

It will be Hillary vs Christie.

Romney is the loser who lost the last election like a loser.

He might run, but he will not get through the primary.

He might shock me, but I suspect Christie is going to be another Giuliani. The media will crown him then wonder what happened when he flames out in the primaries.

What the national media doesn't get is that the Southerners who make up a major portion of the GOP base really, honestly hate Yankees - specifically ones from New York and New Jersey. That's a deep prejudice that people outside the region laugh off, because they haven't lived here long enough to understand how deep it runs in those circles.

if Christie doesn't get it - and you're going to laugh at me - I would have to bet on Rand Paul. Because seriously, who else even is there? And Paul has his dedicated social media fanbase. And the southerners mostly like the cut of his jib.

If that dog were ever going to have his day, 2016 would be that day.

(Yes, yes - you can now tell me that you couldn't read most of that post because you were laughing too hard).

Yeah, I think Rand Paul is the up and comer here. He's been building his support and the libertarian GOPers like him as do the more traditional base.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Santorum is the perfect mix of hope and failure. He says things that that aren't Time Cube crazy like Bachman does but he still openly says horrible things that, although many Republicans honestly agree with, know well enough to dogwhistle instead of brazenly state.

Santorum genuinely seems to be dumb. Like not playing dumb for the rubes, but actually stupid.

Not a joke or satire site, an actual honest-to-goodness Santorum quote:
    We will never have the media on our side, ever, in this country. We will never have the elite, smart people on our side.

...What is it with Ricks?

What I love about Santorum is that he goes into full disbelief-rage mode when he loses. Like, you could tell that he was just barely holding in the tirade of racist / homophobic slurs & swears during his concession speech. I thought the dam might break, but alas, it held.

I'll be delighted to see said dam's strength tested at least once more.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    I'd kind of expect Rand Paul to go looking for a black running mate, so he can say, "See? I'm totes not racist.'

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Just get used to it. Hillary is going to be the 2016 Democratic nominee, barring her death or a horrible, impossible-to-predict gaffe on her part. Neither is likely.

I'm honestly more interested in who the Republicans will get to run against her. Their field is looking pretty barren. I would laugh my ass off if they try to run Romney again.

He might shock me, but I suspect Christie is going to be another Giuliani. The media will crown him then wonder what happened when he flames out in the primaries.

What the national media doesn't get is that the Southerners who make up a major portion of the GOP base really, honestly hate Yankees - specifically ones from New York and New Jersey. That's a deep prejudice that people outside the region laugh off, because they haven't lived here long enough to understand how deep it runs in those circles.

if Christie doesn't get it - and you're going to laugh at me - I would have to bet on Rand Paul. Because seriously, who else even is there? And Paul has his dedicated social media fanbase. And the southerners mostly like the cut of his jib.

(Yes, yes - you can now tell me that you couldn't read most of that post because you were laughing too hard).

Yeah, I think Rand Paul is the up and comer here. He's been building his support and the libertarian GOPers like him as do the more traditional base.

How strong is his base with the traditonalists? The Libertarians got outplayed by the establishment when they tried to influence elections.

http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2012/08/ron-paul-supporters-rebel-convention-floor-fuck-you-tyrants

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    I'd kind of expect Rand Paul to go looking for a black running mate, so he can say, "See? I'm totes not racist.'

I feel like that's going to be what the Republican candidate does no matter who it is, except substitute Hispanic for Black.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    And by Hispanic, I mean Rubio, obviously, since he's the only one.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    Yup, alright. Republican field will be Rand/Rubio.

Get your bets in early! Easy money, easy life!

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Rand Paul/Herman Cain?

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Susana Martinez if she wants it. And since she's either competent or good at looking competent, depending who you ask, she's a much scarier prospect.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Rand Paul/Herman Cain?

Nein, nein, nein.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Susana Martinez if she wants it. And since she's either competent or good at looking competent, depending who you ask, she's a much scarier prospect.

There's no way they'll pick a Hispanic AND a woman.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Curious if Cathy McMorris Rogers will be tapped in any way by the Republicans. She's currently their go-to congresswoman when they need to say they totes don't hate women.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Rand Paul/Herman Cain?

Nein, nein, nein.

That was a fun way to describe it. Multilingual puns are fun.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    fortisfortis OhioRegistered User regular
    You guys are forgetting about a most cunning man...
    John-Kasich-1.jpg

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    fortis wrote: »
    John-Kasich-1.jpg

I don't know who that is.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    I'll be surprised if Jeb Bush makes the attempt, since the wingnut crowd in the primaries would have to make him take some pretty toxic positions just to win. Having to waffle and then deal with all the baggage his brother attached to the Bush name, when demographics are becoming less favorable for his party, would probably be things he wouldn't want to deal with in a general. He strikes me as being smart enough to realize that he would be better served waiting for the tea party to burn itself out and for his brothers failings to become more distant in people's memories. I wouldn't rule it out completely, but he strikes me as a long shot.

As I said, I do expect the GOP primary of 2016 to be a bigger clown show than the one in 2012. Though I admit it's becoming a bit more barren, since all their future hopes keep getting indicted for doing shady shit or just doing enough stupid shit that they don't have a prayer in a general presidential run. We'll see how that field looks in another 19 days. Right now I think it's safe to expect Santorum and Rand Paul. Probably not unreasonable to expect Christie either, if anyone has the balls to run in the primary, while being under investigation and possible be in a position of being convicted, he strikes me as that person (he seems egotistical enough, that he'll give no fucks, if his actions tank his party's prospects).

If they win there re-elections, I suppose Walker and Scott might through their hates into the ring.

I agree with The Ender, I would like to see a dark horse candiate emerge on the democratic side, but it is looking likely that we'll get Hillary. I'm not wild about dynasties, I'm concerned about her age (yeah, POTUS gets the best care but my experience with the elderly is that they can just keel over without much warning - just have to hope she gets a solid VP), is a bit too hawkish (I don't find pacifism to be practical, but I also believe that proper use of force and restraint are mosts) and I worry she is too close to the corporate side of America (mainly the financial part of it, but then again Obama leaves something to be desired here, so at worst, it's probably more of the same).

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    John-Kasich-1.jpg

Total RINO for wanting to expand Medicaid.

• Options
    John-Kasich-1.jpg

I don't know who that is.

Governor of Ohio, John Kasich. Who is going to be re-elected because his Democratic opponent is a fucking moron who did fucking moronic things in his past and then lied about it.

• Options
    I agree with The Ender, I would like to see a dark horse candiate emerge on the democratic side, but it is looking likely that we'll get Hillary. I'm not wild about dynasties, I'm concerned about her age (yeah, POTUS gets the best care but my experience with the elderly is that they can just keel over without much warning - just have to hope she gets a solid VP), is a bit too hawkish (I don't find pacifism to be practical, but I also believe that proper use of force and restraint are mosts) and I worry she is too close to the corporate side of America (mainly the financial part of it, but then again Obama leaves something to be desired here, so at worst, it's probably more of the same).

The best thing i can say about Hillary is that at least she & her husband have demonstrated actual care about charity / philanthropy, and both of them seem to be in favor of subsidy programs.

The rest of her positions are parts terrible & parts parts horrifying. She is as hawkish as any Bush (much worse than her husband in this respect), she hugely favors policing & surveillance programs, she's a poster child for the toxic rhetoric of American exceptionalism (to the point where she made several attempts to undermine & blackmail the head of the U.N.) and she is, by any account I find reliable, just a mean-spirited person: looking down her nose at people, making fun of them / embarrassing them in front of crowds, etc.

It it were Hillary vs Jeb, I would honestly prefer to give Jeb the chair except that both candidates are still attached to their party, and having crazy people control the senate would not be worth having a better POTUS.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Honestly Jeb Bush is pretty plausible.

The strategy I would recommend for any Republican candidate would be to tack as hard right as necessary for the primary, and then pick a VP that is relatively unknown or excusably moderate (Latino/Black/Female) and then not do any debates and just hide as hard as you can for the general. Put the VP front and center and let them soak up all the centrist positions while talking only to your base about how their views aren't your views and they can't help it that they're a [Latino/Black/Female] but economically they agree with you and that's the most important thing.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    What has Jeb been doing since his governorship ended anyway?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited October 2014

I just can't see it. Paul's too chickenshit to stick to the toxic positions his libertarian base is going to demand. I figure he'll be put to the mat about Israel early on in the primaries and will never recover. If that doesn't get him his ongoing problems with plagiarism and the fact he's basically the opposite of likable when out in public will. I look forward to the many campaign ads showing him running away from those two hispanics though.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Spoit wrote: »
    What has Jeb been doing since his governorship ended anyway?

Consulting work (surprised? :P )

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »

I just can't see it. Paul's too chickenshit to stick to the toxic positions his libertarian base is going to demand. I figure he'll be put to the mat about Israel early on in the primaries and will never recover. If that doesn't get him his ongoing problems with plagiarism and the fact he's basically the opposite of likable when out in public will. I look forward to the many campaign ads showing him running away from those two hispanics though.

He's already too chickenshit to stick to his positions. The thing is, this doesn't actually matter. Alot of the libertarians are still gobbing his cock like mad in my experience. He's trying to move to pull in the traditional base it seems like and I believe he'll be at least somewhat successful.

I think he's a strong contender at the moment.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Well everyone is a strong contender at the moment, since no campaigns have started and nobody in the media is looking all that close at the potentials.

I mean..how the fuck is Rand going to answer "If you win the presidency, will you giving your father a position in your cabinet?" Because Ron Paul being anywhere close to US fiscal policy would keep anyone up at night. (Besides his libertarian acolytes, who would gobble that shit right up.)

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    Well everyone is a strong contender at the moment, since no campaigns have started and nobody in the media is looking all that close at the potentials.

I mean..how the fuck is Rand going to answer "If you win the presidency, will you giving your father a position in your cabinet?" Because Ron Paul being anywhere close to US fiscal policy would keep anyone up at night. (Besides his libertarian acolytes, who would gobble that shit right up.)

A lot of southern voters honestly wouldn't care. They just want tax breaks & to be left alone; if Washington burns down & the country goes bust, oh well, at least they saved some money & have their cow farm.

If it's true that southern voters will turn their nose up at Christie for being one of the yanks and if Jeb's campaign is weak (I doubt it, in fairness), Rand has a good shot at the primary in my estimation.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular

I mean, it's not like the media is too critical during the actual campaign either

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I know Bernie Sanders doesn't have a snowballs chance in hell, but it would be awesome he showed up and was strong in the primary and scared camp Hillary.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Doodmann wrote: »
    I know Bernie Sanders doesn't have a snowballs chance in hell, but it would be awesome he showed up and was strong in the primary and scared camp Hillary.

Should be able to get a primetime speaking slot at the convention and push the platform a bit to the left.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular

A lot of southern voters honestly wouldn't care. They just want tax breaks & to be left alone; if Washington burns down & the country goes bust, oh well, at least they saved some money & have their cow farm.

If it's true that southern voters will turn their nose up at Christie for being one of the yanks and if Jeb's campaign is weak (I doubt it, in fairness), Rand has a good shot at the primary in my estimation.

I get the sentiment but a lot of southerns don't own cow farms. or houses. or cars. a lot of southerners are dirt fucking poor. they only vote republican because they have been duped into voting against their own interests.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »

I get the sentiment but a lot of southerns don't own cow farms. or houses. or cars. a lot of southerners are dirt fucking poor. they only vote republican because they have been duped into voting against their own interests.

It worked in the Civil War, why wouldn't it work now?

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    need I remind you about when people were saying it was going to be hillary and gulianni in 2006

God I hope it plays out again and Hillary loses. I really really want pretty much any other democrat (I mean, Warren ideally, but I still doubt she runs). I hope her arrogance causes her to run another amazingly incompetent campaign and someone else sweeps in and steals it from her. Anyone but her. I will hold my nose and vote for her in the general if it comes to that, but I will not be happy about it :(

PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Rand Paul is going to have a hard time topping a ticket like this;
    Rand Paul had a message for students at Plymouth State University who had gathered for a pizza party with the Kentucky senator on Thursday: Ebola is coming for us all and the government is hiding the truth about the deadly disease.
    “This thing is incredibly contagious,” Paul said. “People are getting it, fully gowned, masked...

“If someone has Ebola at a cocktail party they’re contagious and you can catch it from them. [The administration] should be honest about that…. You start to wonder about a basic level of competence.”

That's a level of crazy conspiracy theory that has been relegated to VP of late.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    Being a Republican requires you to believe in multiple conspiracy theories. What difference does airborne Ebola make?

Note, they've been banging on that one since the 90's.

• Options
    ...Is the Ebola 'outbreak' going to be the new Benghazi, then?

:|

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    From last night's Paleyfest cast reunion of the The Wire:
    Former Mayor of Baltimore and now Governor of Maryland, Martin O'Malley was apparently not a fan of Aidan Gillen's Thomas Carcetti, a character loosely based on O'Malley, nor of the show. In fact, it was indicated tonight that when the Maryland state budget had to be cut, the film incentives went away, killing TV and movie production in Baltimore, because of O'Malley's dislike of the Carcetti character and the show.

Via David Simon who is somewhat biased, but still.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Can we call him governor littlefinger?

• Options
    Ah well. Still one of the best shows of all time, and I don't really give a damn what O'Malley thinks about it.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Rand Paul is going to have a hard time topping a ticket like this;
    Rand Paul had a message for students at Plymouth State University who had gathered for a pizza party with the Kentucky senator on Thursday: Ebola is coming for us all and the government is hiding the truth about the deadly disease.
    “This thing is incredibly contagious,” Paul said. “People are getting it, fully gowned, masked...

“If someone has Ebola at a cocktail party they’re contagious and you can catch it from them. [The administration] should be honest about that…. You start to wonder about a basic level of competence.”

That's a level of crazy conspiracy theory that has been relegated to VP of late.

Isn't he a doctor of some kind? This is straight up irresponsible.

• Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    He's an ophthalmologist. When there's an outbreak of eyebola then I might care what he has to say.