As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Party [Chat]

1939495969799»

• Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Is it possible to not murder the greasy guy that scratches his ass with the icecream scoop at the gelato shop

I don't think it is

In my two play throughs I haven't murdered him. Although as I was playing a trigger happy rookie in the second play through it was hard not to - but as he didn't shoot at me I didn't shoot him. Anyone who took a shot at me is a dead person
    Which leads to an interesting dichotomy. When you first meet Sis shoots first without asking questions, Sie engages you in conversation. Which is the 180 degree opposite of how their two organisations normally operate.

Sie lives, Sis dies in my second play through.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    It's not even that dense a bureaucracy

She's my case manager / social worker

Like, her one job is to ensure that I'm not just person #134157

I was pleading directly to someone I view as a helper and a confidant in that email

I refuse to believe it won't be productive, because the only alternative is to hobble to the only hospital I can reach (not a mental hospital like the one I attended Friday) and basically start the process over again with less qualified help

It should not be a difficult thing to not be homeless when you raise your voice and ask for help

• HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Bethryn wrote: »
    HerrCron wrote: »
    So many video games bug me because they feel like they were written by people who only play video games.

That's because they are!
    So many designers only consume a few types of media (vidja games, marvel/DC comics, the animoos and Sci-fi television/movies) and it's a real big problem because everyone has the same point of reference and it means there's a terrible lack of diversity when it comes to their ideas and inspirations.
    While this is true to an extent, I think there's a separate problem, which is of how you make games outside of well understood moulds, especially at a corporate level rather than an independent one.

I'm not even asking for special indie specialness, here. I know there's a lot of pressure to make generic shooter number 437 or whatever - but I bet that joke from the comedy sidekick doesn't have to be another Monty Python and the Holy Grail quote.

Leaving aside my controversial opinion that EA et al. would never have greenlit "papers please" or "gone home" but yeah, having everyone involved in the design process drawing from the same well is also quite problematic.
    From a writing point of view it's why so much of the humour is "lol references" or "lol so randum XD"
    From mechanics and such, it's probably why there's that feeling of sameyness with so many games. I mean, even within the confines of generic shooter number 437 there's usually some scope to do things differently, but if everyone on the design team has drawn from the same set of media then that's just less likely to happen.

And i'm not suggesting i'm any better, i feel the range of media I consume is disgustingly narrow, which is why i'm a code monkey, not a designer.

sig.gif
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    So we should carefully control the media that designers are allowed to consume, you say?

Interesting. Only David Lynch films and Scandinoire TV for you, Designer #05492929. Designer #10224444 you get to only play casual phone games with microtransactions and listen to Viking Metal.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    It's not even that dense a bureaucracy

She's my case manager / social worker

Like, her one job is to ensure that I'm not just person #134157

I was pleading directly to someone I view as a helper and a confidant in that email

I refuse to believe it won't be productive, because the only alternative is to hobble to the only hospital I can reach (not a mental hospital like the one I attended Friday) and basically start the process over again with less qualified help

It should not be a difficult thing to not be homeless when you raise your voice and ask for help

that is your main alternative, I think, unless you are unable to travel there. then inform the case worker of your new location

you can certainly demand an update on the shelter-acquiring process and an expected time of completion, but expect to be stonewalled if you demand any more

you can probably find more personalized attention from a church or otherwise religious institution, but expect to be proselytized-at

aRkpc.gif
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    So we should carefully control the media that designers are allowed to consume, you say?

Interesting. Only David Lynch films and Scandinoire TV for you, Designer #05492929. Designer #10224444 you get to only play casual phone games with microtransactions and listen to Viking Metal.

I would play what Designer #10224444 comes up with.

sig.gif
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

We've also prevented him from ever seeing the colour green via special lighting in his enclosure.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Every time people post Alpha protocol videos they are so different from my play through it blows my mind.

The range of choices an consequences in that game is still kind of mind blowing.

I still need to get the director's cut upgrade on DX:HR. I hear it got much better with the bosses and such.

u7stthr17eud.png
    The only point I would disagree with you there ronya is that I would receive more personalized attention from the church

Having access to a social worker is supposed to be the cream of the crop - the fastlane to assistance. There's no rung of assistance above that beyond going to an emergency room and raving like a madman.

The churches are there to literally attend to the unwashed masses. Food and clothing, then on your way, there's 300 people in line behind you

This is supposed to be the pinnacle of care, and I'm fairly certain I'm getting looked over because of my failure to complain more about my situation, which is also a problem of the anxiety >_>

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Every time people post Alpha protocol videos they are so different from my play through it blows my mind.

The range of choices an consequences in that game is still kind of mind blowing.

I still need to get the director's cut upgrade on DX:HR. I hear it got much better with the bosses and such.

That actually reminds me - @evilbob or anyone else who is a DX:HR person: are there any other major changes to the Director's Cut besides the bosses, or is that the really big one?

rRwz9.gif

We've also prevented him from ever seeing the colour green via special lighting in his enclosure.

Magnifique!

sig.gif
  • y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Oh no my commute is doubled in length again

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
    I should put my developer sensory input farm idea on kickstarter

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    I was able to beat the arcade FPS Call of Juarez: Gunslinger last night. Damn, that was a good game.

The only point I would disagree with you there ronya is that I would receive more personalized attention from the church

Having access to a social worker is supposed to be the cream of the crop - the fastlane to assistance. There's no rung of assistance above that beyond going to an emergency room and raving like a madman.

The churches are there to literally attend to the unwashed masses. Food and clothing, then on your way, there's 300 people in line behind you

This is supposed to be the pinnacle of care, and I'm fairly certain I'm getting looked over because of my failure to complain more about my situation, which is also a problem of the anxiety >_>

I would be extremely surprised if any large city had social workers of this efficiency... empathy fatigue is a thing

aRkpc.gif
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Alpha Protocol is weird because the choices you make are not super obvious videogames choices.
    This means people don't realize they are actually choosing anything, and are instead just choosing what seems funny/snarky etcet.
    I have seen several 'wait WHAT can happen?' conversations if you explain the possibilities.
    Half of the audience was not really aware, not ready for the game they were playing.
    Most of the games with choice give giant heads up (Sometimes even with a 'this is important!' popup) on decisions that matter. And then usually you choose between 'pet the pupy' and 'eat the puppy' instead of 'I think the best way to convince this dude is to project strength' or 'I need to sweettalk this guy'

You can skip at least 2 missions, you can add or remove or change final bosses, about half the cast can live or die, your friends can be your enemies and vice versa.

It is still a flawed game, the opening mission is very long and very linear outside of dialogue options, and the final mission is extremely long and shooty and has a bullshit fight. The decision to make a statbased fps is interesting but many people hate it (The correct way to shoot someone in AP is to take cover, aim for half a sec and fire slowly, not strafe or rush Doom/CoD style).

It is also unbalanced as fuck, with pistols being godly.
    There are also some really weird bugs, like the 'on quick load all the enemies despawn' bug that is relatively prevalent.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

That actually reminds me - @evilbob or anyone else who is a DX:HR person: are there any other major changes to the Director's Cut besides the bosses, or is that the really big one?

It's worth noting the DLC is half off right now on the 360.

Base game is $5 used everywhere.

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    It's really just a question of, if you're a person in a creative field, there are real benefits to be reaped from casting a wider net and from going outside of your habitual comfort zones. Anyone who's passionate enough about a medium to work in that medium is probably going to have a level of knowledge of that medium that they will want to share, and that is totally understandable and totally okay, but if that's all you have to offer then you're basically making a lower-resolution copy of other, earlier work.

In comics, for instance, the most consistently popular writers - Alan Moore, Grant Morrison, Bendis, Greg Rucka, Matt Fraction et al - are all purely by chance dudes who also draw from a broader sphere of influence than just other comic books. In fact, that's the only thing all of those guys really have in common.

rRwz9.gif
    ronya wrote: »

I would be extremely surprised if any large city had social workers of this efficiency... empathy fatigue is a thing

I'm surprised by this attitude - it's literally her job. She was assigned to help me personally.

Like ... I'm not going to let her not help me. She can't just not do her job. That's absurd, I'm dying here! Emergency shelters don't have space, or enough food, or any plan to help treat people.

Fuck it, I'll try to collect welfare money today and just live like a king in hostels, etc.

I'm not getting into a physical altercation with a heroin addict for the last available bed in an overcrowded, underfunded shelter.

go for it

aRkpc.gif
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    i guess it was such a mild summer that i forgot that 91f before 8am is a thing that happens in the summer

poo
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Hakks stay in bed where it's warm and comfortable and sleep peacefully.

Like a quitter.

I did it but very very slowly

It was like running in a sauna

I just checked and we're at 95% humidity right now fuck all dis

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    As someone who is essentially a social worker but for refugees (Though thank god I am not involved with housing issues, from everything I hear that is the worst), empathy fatigue exists, but the more common thing is that you try to get people to do as much as possible on their own, because ultimately it is in their best interest as well as yours. (Because you are busy and always moving from 'emergency' to 'emergency').

It is very easy to go 'all-in' on a client and arrange everything for them, but it both makes them reliant on such systems in the future and unaware of the mechanics behind the rights and regulations. So expect an early push and pull where rolls are established. You are obviously aware of much already, reasonable and capable of communicating clearly.

Being open about what you have done, what you are able to and not, and what your most important needs are is by far the best way to get the help you need.

The bad news is that there are many flaws in the system once you get near the bottom, no matter where you live. Sometimes the system accounts for situation X, for situation Y, but not for X+Y. Sometimes dumb things like your age, gender or some sort of document can really hold you back because once multiple agencies start to be involved, you hit more and more bureaucracies and you can get trapped easily in a wait for A to give to B to get in contact with C type situations, and cutting that tape is real hard unless things get escalates to bosses of bosses.

Over time, it gets better. Many things will get done, there may well be some losses you need to take.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
    closing thread in 60 seconds

save your work

rRwz9.gif
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    On the designers consuming media thing I think most of the really good ones consume all sorts of media. Pretty sure there is an extra credits on this. On my phone so not able to search.

u7stthr17eud.png
    Geth, close the thread.

rRwz9.gif
  • GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative Jacobkosh. Closing thread...

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    350663450_xguJV-L-2.jpg

smCQ5WE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.