As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Any Turn-Based Games/Mods That Have Fast-Paced Strategy Like Civilization Revolution?

Captain_BrianCaptain_Brian Registered User regular
I used to love strategy games like Master of Orion, Master of Magic, Alpha Centauri, etc, but nowadays I just don't have the time to invest in long gameplay sessions and the "just one more turn" types of long games just don't work for me anymore.

Civilization Revolution on the xbox is about perfect for me, able to finish a game in under 3 hours with a bite-sized grand strategy experience.

I bought Civilization 5 Gold on steam and after a few weeks of trying I just had to give up, even with small maps and accelerated game speed it still just doesn't play well for me as a quick 3 hour session.

I've got a decent PC and an Xbox 360, any recommendations?

Captain_Brian-ashsig.jpg

• Options
    Bump

Captain_Brian-ashsig.jpg
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Crusader Kings II, but just play for the life of one ruler.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    I bought Civilization 5 Gold on steam and after a few weeks of trying I just had to give up, even with small maps and accelerated game speed it still just doesn't play well for me as a quick 3 hour session.

If you go with a single city challenge and don't try to conquer the world, you can finish a game of Civ V pretty fast.

• Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »

And set it to speed 3 and never pause. Things'll feel fast paced then.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Age of Wonders 3 scales really well. A 2-3 player games with Simultaneous Turns on should only last 3 hours on the Standard mode, maybe a little longer or shorter on other modes.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    No but a 'full campaign' of CK2 is like 40 hours long.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    Shadowhope wrote: »

Ha! Yeah, I've got CK2 but quit playing for the same reasons as Civ5, though CK2 took me probably twice as long to finish a game. Even playing for a single ruler in a small area like one of the island countries, I just couldn't finish it in less than 10 hours. I'm probably horrible at it or something.

If you go with a single city challenge and don't try to conquer the world, you can finish a game of Civ V pretty fast.

I'll have to try that, though does it restrict the AI to single cities too? One of my problems is that it seems to take me awhile to conquer cities, and while I could probably figure out some type of early-game rush, that usually sucks the fun out for me pretty quickly. I like to take my time with things, but do many meaningful things in a short time. (If that makes any sense.) After 3 hours in Civ 5 it's pretty hard for me to feel like I've made solid progress compared to a game like Civ Rev or even XCOM. (The encapsulated mission structure of XCOM allows for a feeling of progress and a good stopping point for play sessions.)

I've even thought about making a mod for Civ V to allow for a fast game in 3 hours or so, but with the players being able to accomplish a lot during that time. (All research, conquring civs, settling many cities) But mod-making in itself requires too much time for me to dedicate, as I've have to overhaul complex systems like combat and AI.

The Ender wrote: »
    Age of Wonders 3 scales really well. A 2-3 player games with Simultaneous Turns on should only last 3 hours on the Standard mode, maybe a little longer or shorter on other modes.

Ooooh, how is AoW3? I played AoW 2 and I am a long-time fan of Master of Magic so its right up my alley. How does it compare to Master of Magic? Honestly, I got bored with AoW 2 pretty quickly and found my self hopping on DosBox to re-live the old days with MoM.

Captain_Brian-ashsig.jpg