As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

We Liked [Indie Games] Before They Were Cool, Man

Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
edited August 2014 in Social Entropy++
Assassins_Creed_2_Box_Art.JPGGrand_Theft_Auto_IV_cover.jpgSneakkingbox.jpg

All of these are great games in their own right, but the one thing they all have in common?

None of them are indie games

Here are some examples of incredible indie games

bastion.jpg
logo-gone-home-review.jpg
Hotline_Miami_cover.png

All hallmarks of the innovation and risk-taking that can be made on smaller-budget independent projects, indie games are regularly the most thought-provoking and memorable releases of the year

And there's no slowing this train down

Here are some upcoming indie games that are sure to be just as excellent

CRAWL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY0N12w3csI
"Crawl is the local multiplayer dungeon crawler where your friends control the monsters! It’s bullet-hell beat-em-up meets old-school RPG, in an arcadey party-game for up to 4 players.

One player is the hero, exploring a randomly generated dungeon full of traps and monsters - all controlled by the other players. If you slay the hero you take their place and it’s your turn to crawl! Then it's a race to gain enough XP and loot to reach the final battle, where it's all on one as the other players collectively control the hulking final boss!"

FIREWATCH
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d02lhvvVSy8
"In Firewatch you play as a man named Henry who has retreated from his messy life to work as a fire lookout in the Wyoming wilderness. Perched high atop a mountain, it’s your job to look for smoke and keep the wilderness safe. An especially hot and dry summer has everyone on edge. Your supervisor, a woman named Delilah, is available to you at all times over a small, handheld radio — and is your only contact with the world you've left behind.

But when something strange draws you out of your lookout tower and into the world, you’ll explore a wild and unknown environment, facing questions and making interpersonal choices that can build or destroy the only meaningful relationship you have."

GANG BEASTS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRMNsPwT2jk
"Gang Beasts is a silly local multiplayer party game with doughy ragdoll physics and horrific environmental hazards. In the current pre-alpha players can grab, push, pull, punch, and throw their friends from wrestling rings, speeding trucks, and suspended platforms."

HYPER LIGHT DRIFTER
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqjsZeuf8sc
"Hyper Light Drifter is a 2D Action RPG in the vein of the best 8-bit and 16-bit classics, with modernized mechanics and designs on a much grander scale.

Visions for this game have been fluttering in my skull for ages; something dark and fantastic, with giant forests to navigate, huge floating structures to explore, deep crumbling ruins to loot, massive throngs of enemies to rend, and behemoths both flesh and mechanical to overcome. I want it all to be as beautiful as possible, forging color with the dark and eerie wastes and intimidating landscapes. It plays like the best parts of A Link to the Past and Diablo, evolved: lightning fast combat, more mobility, an array of tactical options, more numerous and intelligent enemies, and a larger world with a twisted past to do it all in."

MASSIVE CHALICE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTVuVtahMBs
"A tactical strategy game set on an epic timeline. As the immortal ruler of the nation, you'll take command of its heroes, forge marriages to to strengthen your bloodlines, and battle a mysterious enemy known as the cadence in a war lasting hundreds of years."

This thread is to discuss the great indie games of past years, as well as discover new and upcoming games, maybe some that are in need of Kickstarting (no linking to actual Kickstarters), or you just wanna talk about how awesome it's gonna be

Please don't spend dozens of pages debating if a thing is indie or not, that's just a bummer

6F32U1X.png
Mr. G on

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    SNEAK KING IS INDIE

THIS THREAD IS A FRAUD

ANARCHY

CYpGAPn.png
  • JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    Finally, a place to talk about Gang Beasts all the time.

signature.png

• mageormikemageormike Registered User regular
    The majority of games I play these days are indie titles. This thread was made for me.

• KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    You're right.

The King really does need to be an available costume in Gang Beasts.

....That's what this thread is about, right?

• One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    I bought Invisible Inc last night but haven't had a chance to try it yet

I suspect it will be my jam

• HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    I bought Invisible Inc last night but haven't had a chance to try it yet

I suspect it will be my jam

it's gat dang hard

you have to be patient to wait and peak through doors to find guard patrols and cameras, but there's an alarm that goes up every turn, gradually making the level harder to sneak through

• AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Crawl is legitimately fantastic. I can't wait to see how it goes later on after it's out of early access.

Just, make sure you have controllers to play it with. Playing it on keyboard sucks pretty hard.

• AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    I need to play crawl with some peeps

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Gonna be honest

Like 70% of why I made this thread right now is because I needed somewhere to talk about that Firewatch trailer, because dang

6F32U1X.png
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Does Counterspy count? Cause I just played a bunch more of that today.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    I kind of don't want to watch anything for Firewatch because I know Im going to buy it anyway

• Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    woah that firewatch trailer

i didn't realize one had come out

also i haven't gotten to try the new gang beasts build but lethal league is legit a great time

and the online works really well

I'm actually surprised by how much I enjoyed CounterSpy in contrast with the mediocre reviews

I really really liked that game

I wish it had a Platinum trophy so I would be properly motivated to finish it on all difficulties

But it doesn't so NOPE

6F32U1X.png
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    Dat firewatch trailer

• BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    I have recently dove back into FTL. Still can't beat the final ship though, I just get anniliated even if the rest of that round came across as easy.

• Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    The flagship is always a testy fight. You pretty much have to find specific parts through the game to win, and some loadouts just won't do the job.

High level engines, level 3 shields, cloaking is nice, hacking is nice, some shield-piercing good damage. Boarding really helps mitigate damage but if you have some firebombs that'll do just fine.

VRXwDW7.png
    well the gang beasts release is actually

pretty disappointing

added one level, removed two others, and the option to do custom keybindings is gone

which is less than optimal when for some reason all the controls are bound to controller 1, so i'm doing synchronized routines by myself and can't play with anyone

i wonder how much of climbing/kicking/all that other stuff made it in like it was supposed to

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    The flagship is always a testy fight. You pretty much have to find specific parts through the game to win, and some loadouts just won't do the job.

High level engines, level 3 shields, cloaking is nice, hacking is nice, some shield-piercing good damage. Boarding really helps mitigate damage but if you have some firebombs that'll do just fine.
    Three words:

Chain

Fucking

Lasers.

• Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Vann Diras wrote: »
    i wonder how much of climbing/kicking/all that other stuff made it in like it was supposed to
    It's on there

It's just that they removed the fucking tutorial

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Like b does something with the foot

Can't figure out what though

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-LSMCYjHow

The Making of Grim Fandango Remastered: Episode 2

Every time I remember this is actually happening and not something in my wildest dreams I get so excited

6F32U1X.png
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    @Rankenphile‌ is working on Never Alone which is being shown off at PAX right now.

YL9WnCY.png
  • SwissLionSwissLion We are beside ourselves! Registered User regular
    Had an awesome day yesterday trying out Crawl and Mount Your Friends as well as old favourite Nidhogg.

Nidhogg is pretty sweet you guys! We had Nidhogg Veterans playing alongside total newbies and everyone was able to pick it up really fast and be competitive. I mainly dedicated myself to getting the stab-a-dude-and-leave-it-there move that constitutes the only real way to taunt your enemy.

ImWcN1I.png?3
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    I'm still super stoked about the binding of isaac: rebirth

but man the wait is killing me

there isn't even an announced release date, except for a vague "by the end of the year"

also PC players (like me) will have to wait until PS4/Vita players have had the game for a month because contracts

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Suuuuper duper psyched about Never Alone and Firewatch.

Those games look gorgeous.

• Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    When is Hotline Miami 2 coming? They've been talking about it entirely too long.

I want to play it already.

• Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    I just heard about Lichdom: Battlemage and I'm watching a stream of it. Looks neat. Are there any summoning stuff or is it all Direct Damage and CC spells?

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
    edited August 2014
    Vann Diras wrote: »
    It's on there

It's just that they removed the fucking tutorial

apparently you can't make your guys do a front flip anymore and what the fuck boneloaf

Vann Diras on
  • BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    No love for Journey?

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Beezel wrote: »
    No love for Journey?

The PS3 Journey?

JtgVX0H.png
  • BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    yeah that one

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    No love for Journey?

The PS3 Journey?

That is a pretty good game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQKcKnnbJJg

The Behemoth's GAME 4 is a hexagonal turn-based strategy game and if it's not on PS4 I hate video games

6F32U1X.png
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Their games always release on Xbox first and then take like 1-5 years to port to Steam. That may change with the new generation though.

YL9WnCY.png
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    yeah that one

I keep forgetting it's an indie game. When I think indie, I think PC games.

And yeah, Journey was pretty great. I only played it once at a friend's house. From start to finish in one sitting, it took me about 3 hours and it was fantastic. I later discovered that it's excellent soundtrack was composed by the guy that did The Banner Saga's soundtrack (another great indie game with a great soundtrack)

JtgVX0H.png
    okay yeah played around with the new gang beasts build

it is gang beasts

the new lighting is pretty aces, though once we moved from the ring to a more involved stage the performance went to unplayable immediately

the new stage is okay i guess, nothing really jumped out to me about it. unsure what the little kick is meant to do at this point. the lack of custom control settings is really a bummer

Gang Beasts has always been kinda busted

I'm just gonna wait until it's finished

Also if they wanna put it on PS4 I wouldn't mind

6F32U1X.png
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Um excuse me Sneak King is the best indie game

This discussion has been closed.