As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Two job interviews

Flying CouchFlying Couch Registered User regular
This is probably a bit easier than most job interview threads, but I'd like some others opinions.

I have two interviews with two separate places next week. Both have different things to offer me, but the second is a better fit right now. Assuming successful interviews I'll probably be going there.

My question is about how to interact with the first place should both interviews result in job offers. By itself, it's pretty open and shut - fuck 'em, I won't have even done a day's work for them yet, I owe them nothing. However, the first place still a business that I want to be on good terms with for a few reasons. I don't want them to be all "Hey, it's that guy we hired who bailed on us before even starting work. Fuck that guy," in the future. It's obviously possible that only one interview goes well to begin with (or maybe even neither!), rendering this thread pointless, but I'd rather be prepared. If it becomes necessary, how/when/should I broach the subject with them?

• Options
    msuitepyonmsuitepyon Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    First of all, congrats on the two interviews. When one place calls you back with an offer, ask them for some time to make a decision--no more than a week or so. Then, call your contact at the second place and inform them that you have an offer and that you would like to see if they were going to make an offer as well--this will usually spur them to make you an offer; if they waffle, inform them that you have a certain time you need them to respond (less than what you told the first place) and wait it out.

Now comes the fun part. If you get an offer from both places, you can play them against one another to potentially increase your wage. Anyway, after an offer is accepted, go about your merry way being employed. If you turn the first place (the less desirable) down, they shouldn't harbor any ill will--if they do, maybe they aren't that great of a place anyway...

msuitepyon on
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    How many days are they apart? I've been in this situation before and despite the rarity of it coming up it did and I wished I'd had a plan! If they do offer and you want to wait until the other one I'd say something such as "Can I have a few days before I let you know? I'm really interested but I just want weigh up and double check a few things, its a big decision and want it to be right".

I think this is a pretty fair thing to say, its not rude and shows you're taking it seriously. Give them an exact date to get back to them so they know you're not messing about with them. After all, you could be waiting on any reason they don't know about such as salary, distance from work, moving etc. You stay on good terms this way and it stays open.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, just tell them you have some other options you are weighing and will get back to them in the next couple of days. Worse thing ever for a hiring manager is when someone says they will take the job, they start all the process of hiring you, then get the call that they are in fact not taking the job. Or worse, not even show up for the first day.

So, just be cagey but honest. If they offer you a position on the spot, then just say, thank you very much but I need a day or two to decide. Then take that day or two and try to get a better offer from the next place and keep playing the game.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I had this situation with two contract jobs. Company A offered a position and I accepted. Two days before I was supposed to start, Company B offered a better job so I took that and had to call A. Was very upfront, said it was a better gig.
    Not great, but got to do what's best for you.

• Options
    PacificstarPacificstar Registered User regular
    No reasonable company is going to be angry at you for taking a different opportunity

• Options
    CiriraCirira IowaRegistered User regular
    Just be upfront with the first company if you decide on the second. Any decent company will give you time to make a decision between offers. They also should not be offended if you take a job that is a better fit. If they are offended then it is most likely not a company you want to work at anyways.