As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Can someone explain how this works? (HEAT Shell)

The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
This is more or less just for my own curiosity:

HEAT.jpg

This is a HEAT shell I drew based on a number of references... and I don't understand how the warhead is supposed to work?

From what I understand, the casing comes off after it's fired, and the big black warhead then becomes a fin-stabilized projectile. Why does it have that long, blunt stick at the front? Since it's delivering a shaped charge, shouldn't the point of impact be wedge-shaped instead?

With Love and Courage

• Options
    PantshandshakePantshandshake Registered User regular
    You're missing a key internal component, which would be a cone behind that grey band up in the front. I don't know what they are these days, but I believe a lot of Russian HEAT rounds used copper. The explosive turns that cone (the narrow end would be facing towards the rear of the shell) into a jet of molten metal, which is what does most of your penetration.

There was a mythbusters where you can see this in action. Hang on while I find it...
    http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythbusters/videos/rpg-101.htm
    In the show, they had a camera angle from the other side, but in this one, right around 2:30, on the left of the screen, you can sort of see the jet coming out of the back of the trailer.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Looking at a cross-section, I see what you mean.

Why does the cone-shaped charge liner point towards the explosive payload rather than towards the target?

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    PantshandshakePantshandshake Registered User regular
    As the charge detonates, it hits the pointy end of the cone, which makes the jet of molten metal focused. If the cone faced the other way, I think you'd end up with molten metal coming out in sort of a diffused blob, which wouldn't really work against what these shells were made for.

I'm sure there's a word for this, and knowing these forums Bowen will show up with the math.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    The cone is hollow I believe, to force the jet of liquid metal towards the target.

• Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    The cone is hollow I believe, to force the jet of liquid metal towards the target.

Usually the EFPs I've seen have just been a bowl shaped copper disc though I have seen a few that appear to have used a funnel as a form.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular