As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

One does not simply have a Lord of the Rings: Shadow of Mordor game!

• Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    Screenshotted so I can post it when your hyped expectatitions run aground on the hard shores of reality

But seriously, this could be a good game. It takes cues from the right sources and has some interesting original ideas. However, that also means it's somewhat generic. Not a great game, but if the execution is right it could be quite enjoyable.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    cornellcornell Registered User regular
    Are there major difference between the PS4 and XBone versions? I can't find anything online, trying to figure out what platform to preorder it on.

• Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Screenshotted so I can post it when your hyped expectatitions run aground on the hard shores of reality

But seriously, this could be a good game. It takes cues from the right sources and has some interesting original ideas. However, that also means it's somewhat generic. Not a great game, but if the execution is right it could be quite enjoyable.

Oh, I'm not hype. I just pull from a vast wellspring of correct video-game expectations.

Per your second point, I'm pretty sure this is going to end up being weird, regardless of Warner Bros expectations for their holiday AAA release.

BrocksMullet on
    I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular

If it's no more than a good AC game within the Tolkien lore, that's gonna be fine for me.

• Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    The fact that LoR duder climbs just like Ezio is a detail so mundane it loops around and becomes weird.

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Replaying War in the North as part of a planned LotR binge. Forgot how much fun that game was, even if your character moves hella slow. Love how smooth the transition from bow to sword is.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    SaarutoSaaruto Registered User regular
    Just watched a bit of the pre-launch stuff on Twitch...It looked pretty fun, but I really hope that the story is engaging. I'm not sure if I'm ready to trust in the hype monster again.

If you can chill, chill.
    Steam ID
  • Options
    temperature!temperature! Registered User regular
    Pretty sure I'm gonna go put money down on this, even though I never pre-order. I have a new PS4 and no games to play it on, plus Best Buy gives you 10$ back for pre-ordering. My only worry, the nemesis system stuff sounds a lot like how Fable was being built up. Hopefully it's a fun new system.

XBL - Temperature_MD
    PSN - CardboardNine
  • Options
    lodianlodian Coffee Grindhouse Titan VRegistered User regular
    This actually looks really great. My only concern is that the game may be too easy, since the combat revolves around an Assassin's Creed and/or Batman Arkham style of dodge and counter. If I'm able to turn off "counter indicators" from the get go, I'll be doing that.

camo_sig2.pngPSN: aeroplane22 || Steam: kozmikx
  • Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Are these pre-order bonuses something we can unlock eventually anyway? And what's this about extra missions?

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Saaruto wrote: »
    Just watched a bit of the pre-launch stuff on Twitch...It looked pretty fun, but I really hope that the story is engaging. I'm not sure if I'm ready to trust in the hype monster again.

Same. Got really burned on Destiny. But, I do like the LotR universe, and I am looking for an Arkham/Assassin's Creed game on the PS4, so I'm cautiously optimistic here.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Is Steve Blum voicing anyone in this game? Cause it seems like he should be. Steve Blum is in like every other video-game and cartoon ever made.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    It already has Troy Baker and Nolan North. What more do you want?!

• Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    We could get some Paul eiding and Jennifer hale and we would have every voice actor ever.

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    One of those two is already in the game!

BrocksMullet on

• Options
    I am concerned the game might not be difficult enough, and nemesis system falls to the wayside that way.

• Options
    SaarutoSaaruto Registered User regular
    I'm starting to get concerned that I am going to hold this game up to my nostalgic TTT or RotK standards which could definitely be a problem

If you can chill, chill.
    Steam ID
  • Options
    OtakingOtaking Registered User regular
    I'm willing to bet one of my fedoras that this will be good.

The brown one I only wear occasionally though, not the regular black one.

• Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    http://www.joystiq.com/2014/09/26/middle-earth-shadow-of-mordor-review-my-precioussss/

First review, perfect score. I'm shocked honestly. It looked obscenely repetitive.

• Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    I know I shouldn't let reviews from complete strangers influence my spending decisions, but I was on the fence about this one. Now I've hopped off that fence and I'm strolling gleefully right into the heart of Mordor.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Well will ya look at that? This game seems to be delivering and delivering hard. Scores of reviews all ranging in the 8s 9s and above, with only dangling outlier of a 6 from Destructoid.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/middle-earth-shadow-of-mordor

Wow!

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    DockenDocken Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    IGN review up:

http://au.ign.com/articles/2014/09/26/middle-earth-shadow-of-mordor-review

Looks like we've got a winner here...

FYI GMG is doing the game for 37.50 with a voucher code but you've only got like 5 hours left: DEALZO-N25OFF-SEPT14

Docken on
  • Options
    I want to believe.

Seems like the only question remaining for me is: PC or PS4?

steam_sig.png

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I want to believe.

There won't be mods, and anyone with a ps4 could probably add a new game to their library.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    I want to believe.

There won't be mods, and anyone with a ps4 could probably add a new game to their library.

There will be higher resolutions and sharper graphics however.
    ---
    Early positive reviews, always a good sign.

• Options
    I want to believe.

True, but including Destiny I'll be at 4 games already, with GTA V and the Phantom Pain comming up in the near/nearish future.

lodian wrote: »
    I want to believe.

There will be higher resolutions and sharper graphics however.
    ---
    Early positive reviews, always a good sign.
    Do we know that for sure? That's good news. Just depends on the optimization now.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    NotYou wrote: »
    http://www.joystiq.com/2014/09/26/middle-earth-shadow-of-mordor-review-my-precioussss/

First review, perfect score. I'm shocked honestly. It looked obscenely repetitive.

Yeah, that tipped me into getting the full premium edition on Steam. Plus playing as Celembribor and using the One Ring? FUCK YES PLEASE

• Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    I have a sneaking suspicion this will be baller, and everyone will say, "Who expected that?", and I'll say "ME."

Looks like respect is due, the reviews pouring in on this are nothing short of "outstanding".

• Options
    The only noteworthy criticisms have been that it's rather similar to other open world games such as Arkham or the Creed games. Not particularly a con, but if you are at all burnt out on those - you might get bored with this.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Nuuvem has the game on PC for surprisingly and decently low. Still a bit too much if you're following the Guybrush Threepwood method of video game purchases (20 and below)

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Allforce wrote: »
    I have a sneaking suspicion this will be baller, and everyone will say, "Who expected that?", and I'll say "ME."

Looks like respect is due, the reviews pouring in on this are nothing short of "outstanding".

Yeah, I was going to wait on this, but these reviews...

Gonna preorder on PSN when I get home!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Man, I'm so glad this turned out well. I never gave up hope!

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    looks like this is reviewing pretty well then, and it's good to see the reviews hitting early too. obviously WB Games was aware that people have been on the fence about this one, worried that it might pale in comparison to the games that have influenced it. glad to see its getting a favourable write up.

also, there this:
    Penny Arcade Presents Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor Stream!

We have a really cool PA Presents live stream coming up this Monday. We will be playing Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor! It will be a day before it hits stores and you can watch it all right here on my Twitch channel. Tycho and I will be joined by a few of the developers so they can field questions as we run through a bit of the game. I’ve been looking forward to this one and I’m really excited to check it out. It will happen on Monday the 29th at 2:30 Pacific time right here on my Twitch page.

so if anyone is still sceptical this might help clear up any lingering doubts. or maybe convince you that it's not a must buy right now.

• Options
    RaggieRaggie Schattenjäger Registered User regular
    Looks like a sleeper hit to me.

I'm a bit baffled that instead of half a dozen of crappy Hobbit games, the only ME license games we've had this year have been the Lego Hobbit one, and a game that's set into an entirely different part of the world than The Hobbit.

Not that I mind. I would have wanted another Battle for Middle Earth, though.

ypvha57nnenm.jpg
  • Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    WTF at those PC requirements. If my 680gtx can only handle medium... fuck. I was trying to hold out for the inevitable 6gb/8gb vram cards next year.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Early, positive reviews are definitely a good sign. I was really surprised to see that Joystiq review up already this morning. I am definitely burned out on AC, but the systems in place here will make me happy. I loved the Arkham combat, and this is "borrowing" quite generously from that. I call that a win.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    It appears that it isn't only borrowing Batman's combat, but it is doing it well. That was the tipping point for me.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    I have never seen a Lord of the Rings (well...sat down to see it. I took my brother to one once and fell asleep).

I have nothing against it, it just never interested me. I was a space, sci-fi, science nerd - not a dwarves and elves nerd.

But holy shit after reading Kotaku's review I will buy anything that uses the Nemesis system.

Like, this is all I've ever wanted.

Why is it not out now, my impulse buy is too strong to wait!

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    If you're waffling between PC or next gen, IGN actually played the game on both and outlined the differences:
    On the PC side Mordor also compares to the Batman games, in that it’s of good quality. There are even some enhanced graphics settings, including an ultra-high texture setting that requires a full 6GB of video memory. My only issue with it is some awkward menu controls, but most of those are customizable and those that aren’t aren’t too inconvenient to get used to.
    Wow. +1 to IGN for being a good reviewer and +1 Monolith for not shitting out a terrible port.

Oh, hey, Monolith. They made Blood, one of my most favorite games. $50 on PC and 20% off on GMG? So goddamn bought.

• Options
    nusunusu Registered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »
    I have never seen a Lord of the Rings (well...sat down to see it. I took my brother to one once and fell asleep).

I have nothing against it, it just never interested me. I was a space, sci-fi, science nerd - not a dwarves and elves nerd.

But holy shit after reading Kotaku's review I will buy anything that uses the Nemesis system.

Like, this is all I've ever wanted.

Why is it not out now, my impulse buy is too strong to wait!

If only there was a storefront where you could buy the game now, then have it be available at launch already on your console... ;)