As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

One does not simply have a Lord of the Rings: Shadow of Mordor game!

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I knew I would like this game, but I really like it. Two interesting captains that killed me. One with the moniker "The Raven" had a large helmet with a hook-beaked face mask and a giant crossbow, was immune to stealth and ranged. Turned me into a pincushion after oversharing about birds with me. The second guy was named "The Dreamer", had another bizarre helmet, and spouted all kinds of trippy, Lovecraftian bullshit the few times I saw him.

This is just a few hours into the game. The nemesis system is really compelling, seems to work way better than I ever expected.

I have a question about runes. I know that a captain drops a rune based on the way you kill him (i.e., dagger runes for a stealth kill). However, why is it that they seem to drop bow runes by default? I've definitely killed guys with my sword and gotten a bow rune out of it. So it looks like it has to be a melee execution to get a sword rune, etc.? Is that a bit restrictive, or maybe I am just trying to kill captains I have no business killing.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    I picked up the game as a benchmark for my new video card more than anything, but I'm not totally sure what I think.

For starters, it looks absolutely fantastic with the Ultra texture pack. That said, I'm not sure I get this game so far. I feel like I'm wandering around aimlessly and fighting and dying and collecting stuff. And there's some big yellow markers way off in the distance, but don't they see there's a billion things between my location and that? I have to get all the things and kill all the things, and I don't think the little yellow marker understand that.

I think I've got to give it a bit more time to get the hang of the gameflow.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I don't think the type of rune you get is always a sure thing.

• Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I had a captain (I'm sure many of you have seen this) who just giggled in a sniveling, creepy manner but spoke no actual words the two times that I bumped into him. I don't remember killing him, but I guess I must have, because he's nowhere to be seen in the hierarchy. I wanted to keep running into him, because he was so weird and memorable, and I guess I should have let him live. I would have loved to turn him to my side and see him rise through the ranks (but this was very early in my playthrough, a few days ago).

Okay, actually, I found a clip, and it's way more unsettling and way less hilarious than I remember. The captain in the clip is more serious-looking... the guy I fought had a tiny, round face. He was actually kinda cute. But the little laugh definitely makes me uncomfortable either way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0B0v2kwMPg

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    KupotheAvengerKupotheAvenger Destroyer of Cake and other deserts.Registered User regular
    Great news guys, remember that goddamn archer that was giving me problems? I leveled up a bit and beefed up on health, came back, and stomped his cheap shooting ass into the ground. Although right before I would've cut his head off, I branded his ass and forced him to kill a Warchief. This game guys....

fc: 1821-9801-1163
    Battlenet: Judgement#1243
    psn: KupoZero

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Wow that laughing orc is super creepy... Never ran into him, and kind of glad I haven't.
    I also learned that shadow strike on a fleeing captain makes a whole lot more sense than trying to run after him while all his followers continue to try to kill you along with every other uruk, ghul, and caragor you pass during the chase.

The fact that I just now realized this makes me feel so stupid.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Wow, that laughing Orc. I think what makes it is that he beats the piss out of the guy and then just walks off. TWICE.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    I knew I would like this game, but I really like it. Two interesting captains that killed me. One with the moniker "The Raven" had a large helmet with a hook-beaked face mask and a giant crossbow, was immune to stealth and ranged. Turned me into a pincushion after oversharing about birds with me. The second guy was named "The Dreamer", had another bizarre helmet, and spouted all kinds of trippy, Lovecraftian bullshit the few times I saw him.

This is just a few hours into the game. The nemesis system is really compelling, seems to work way better than I ever expected.

I have a question about runes. I know that a captain drops a rune based on the way you kill him (i.e., dagger runes for a stealth kill). However, why is it that they seem to drop bow runes by default? I've definitely killed guys with my sword and gotten a bow rune out of it. So it looks like it has to be a melee execution to get a sword rune, etc.? Is that a bit restrictive, or maybe I am just trying to kill captains I have no business killing.

I think the way it works is that if you kill a captain using a weakness they have then they drop a rune related to that method, eg. dagger for a stealth kill if they are weak to that. If they get killed by another method and possibly some weaknesses that aren't strictly linked to a weapon (beast finishers for example) than it's a random type. You also get a boost to the level of the dropped rune for using a captain's weakness too.
    SightTDW wrote: »
    I picked up the game as a benchmark for my new video card more than anything, but I'm not totally sure what I think.

For starters, it looks absolutely fantastic with the Ultra texture pack. That said, I'm not sure I get this game so far. I feel like I'm wandering around aimlessly and fighting and dying and collecting stuff. And there's some big yellow markers way off in the distance, but don't they see there's a billion things between my location and that? I have to get all the things and kill all the things, and I don't think the little yellow marker understand that.

The game rewards you whichever way you choose really. Doing more side missions gives you more experience and mirian unlocked upgrades, story missions unlock new open world related abilities. That said, when you're nearing the point where you're almost out of abilities on your first tier but can't accumulate the power points needed to unlock further tiers, you should drill down on the story missions a bit.
    I also learned that shadow strike on a fleeing captain makes a whole lot more sense than trying to run after him while all his followers continue to try to kill you along with every other uruk, ghul, and caragor you pass during the chase.

It's explicitly mentioned in one of the loading screen tips too. I'm sure I actually saw that one repeatedly before I actually used it myself as if the game knew that people weren't using that ability much. It's one of the more versatile abilities since you can use it take out a dangerous target like a beserker, escape the midst of a melee by targeting a distant orc, traverse heights by targeting an archer on a tower, and enjoy the dialogue of flustered orcs not sure about what they're seeing happen.

I just finished the game with 100% of the side stuff done at 28.5 hours. I wish there'd been a bit more to the second half. Manipulating who becomes warchief can be done in at least three different ways and there's only so many warchief slots to play with.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    @‌GMaster7

Thanks for all the vendetta missions.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    I just finished the game, 100%.

I need more of this. Not just Shadow of Mordor, or whatever. Like, more Middle-Earth lore. I can't help but feel this has breathed new life into that universe.

I understand that thematically, yes, the game doesn't fit what Lord of the Rings is about, but I just want more.

• Options
    KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I just finished the game, 100%.

I need more of this. Not just Shadow of Mordor, or whatever. Like, more Middle-Earth lore. I can't help but feel this has breathed new life into that universe.

I understand that thematically, yes, the game doesn't fit what Lord of the Rings is about, but I just want more.

I don't know, I felt that Celebrimbor was a perfect 2nd age elf. He sold it with the way he talked and how he used the correct elven names for everything. The self-assured arrogance, the dark brooding, the obsession over vengeance. I particularly liked one line about how "his strength has not yet been measured" against the Istari. It seemed like something a grandson of Faenor would say.

This game did justice to the tone of the Silmarillion even if it couldn't mention it due to the rights.

Korror on
    Battlenet ID: NullPointer
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    @‌GMaster7

Thanks for all the vendetta missions.

! I think I've only died, like, three or four times total! But you're welcome.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    One thing I loved about the game mechanically was how you could easily cancel out of an attack to counter or dodge away. It's a big part of why combat feels so smooth and fluid in contrast with Assassin's Creed. Previously only the Arkham games and Sleeping Dogs seemed to do this in an open world game and it made such a difference. I'm glad this borrowed the combat flow from those despite the AC trappings.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Honestly, this is the most forgiving counter system I have ever seen.

I've literally accidentally hit the counter button, and then got attacked like a second later and the attack was countered.

• Options
    As someone who was not very good at Arkham Asylum/City combat, I'm hitting 30-40 hit combos with ease. So yeah, I'd say it's fairly forgiving. And I'm fine with that. There should probably be some sliders to adjust the difficulty, but I'm kind of fine with the way everything works. It clicked for me tonight and I was really enjoying it.

I think my favorite part about the "combat" is the movement and stealth kills, though. Bounding on suspension beams and scaling walls feels way more fluid than any of the AC games I've played. It reminds me of Prototype, where you just hold a button and go and the character reacts dynamically to the environment. It feels really smooth in practice, whereas in AC2 I always felt like I was getting hung up on some weird geometry or something. Not a totally fair comparison since that game is like 5 years old, but I really appreciate how they're also working on the movement and stuff in these types of games.

As a result, stealthing around the environment feels really great. Talion pulls his dagger only at the last moment, places his hand against a wall or box to quiet and steady himself, and when he finally strikes the kills are wonderfully gory and cinematic. It's really brutal in a "graphic novel" sort of way, where the nastiest bits are framed with these great camera shots and I feel a bit squeamish watching it but also awesome because that Orc was a nasty customer.

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Honestly, this is the most forgiving counter system I have ever seen.

I've literally accidentally hit the counter button, and then got attacked like a second later and the attack was countered.

I'm absolutely fine with that, because as the devs have mentioned, limiting the counter window or not allowing you to counter out of animations would have required a reduction in the number enemies present in any fight, and that just wouldn't have been fun.

Seriously, that was their reasoning. "Yeah, it makes countering super easy, but this way you can fight 30 orcs instead of 9."

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    So what can they had to a sequel?
    I'm thinking Oliphants and whatever the Nazghul were flying around on.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Difficulty sliders.

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular

I think the way it works is that if you kill a captain using a weakness they have then they drop a rune related to that method, eg. dagger for a stealth kill if they are weak to that. If they get killed by another method and possibly some weaknesses that aren't strictly linked to a weapon (beast finishers for example) than it's a random type. You also get a boost to the level of the dropped rune for using a captain's weakness too.
    SightTDW wrote: »

The game rewards you whichever way you choose really. Doing more side missions gives you more experience and mirian unlocked upgrades, story missions unlock new open world related abilities. That said, when you're nearing the point where you're almost out of abilities on your first tier but can't accumulate the power points needed to unlock further tiers, you should drill down on the story missions a bit.

It's explicitly mentioned in one of the loading screen tips too. I'm sure I actually saw that one repeatedly before I actually used it myself as if the game knew that people weren't using that ability much. It's one of the more versatile abilities since you can use it take out a dangerous target like a beserker, escape the midst of a melee by targeting a distant orc, traverse heights by targeting an archer on a tower, and enjoy the dialogue of flustered orcs not sure about what they're seeing happen.

I just finished the game with 100% of the side stuff done at 28.5 hours. I wish there'd been a bit more to the second half. Manipulating who becomes warchief can be done in at least three different ways and there's only so many warchief slots to play with.

...wow. I just entered the second area, 25 hours played, and still have a few things to cover off in the 1st area. I have been dicking around way too much.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    Spaffy wrote: »
    ...wow. I just entered the second area, 25 hours played, and still have a few things to cover off in the 1st area. I have been dicking around way too much.

I recommend following the main missions for a bit, up until you unlock he last of the locked powers at least.
    There'll be a lot of time to do stuff afterwards, and having the full arsenal of moves while you do it is pretty good.

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Spaffy wrote: »

I recommend following the main missions for a bit, up until you unlock he last of the locked powers at least.
    There'll be a lot of time to do stuff afterwards, and having the full arsenal of moves while you do it is pretty good.

And shorten my playtime? No way!

;)

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    I'm up to 38 hours, and I've still got plenty left to do, so I wouldn't worry about that.

• Options
    stompingbadger85stompingbadger85 His Majesty My CastleRegistered User regular
    I have been knee deep is orc guts, and am loving it. I am not really even focusing on the main campaign of the game. I am just going around wreaking havoc on the Uruk armies of Mordor. The orc captains and war-chiefs do not stand a chance with me around.

Stompingbadger85.png
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    So what can they had to a sequel?
    I'm thinking Oliphants and whatever the Nazghul were flying around on.

I expect to see wargs and spiders. Goblins and some human enemies would be nice as well.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Has anyone been playing the challenge modes? The speed trial is pretty much, but I don't see how the wisdom trial is possible with that high point count.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Just beat the game. 100% clear.

I need more of this game.

They really need to make another game using these mechanics.

Now.

• Options
    Just beat the game. 100% clear.

I need more of this game.

They really need to make another game using these mechanics.

Now.

There's DLC coming where you play as
    Celebrimbor

So there's that at least.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Man this game looked so gloomy on my monitor but is colourful as heck in the TV. Anyone would think it's a tongue in cheek parody of the Lotr universe. All vivid fields of greens and vibrant Blue skies. Not that I'm complaining, I really quite enjoy that.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I am really not sure how I feel about this game

is it basically just dynasty warriors

did i get tricked into playing dynasty warriors?

right now i'm following gollum around and occasionally stopping to beat the crud out of some captains.

is that kind of all there is?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular

Not at all. I'm guessing you haven't ever played Dynasty Warriors. Which, I mean, good, keep avoiding that.

But no, SoM is not like DW at all.

• Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »

Not at all. I'm guessing you haven't ever played Dynasty Warriors. Which, I mean, good, keep avoiding that.

But no, SoM is not like DW at all.

Though yeah, fuckin around with orcs is pretty much the whole game. It's a fuckin with orcs simulator, giving you more tools and methods for fuckin with orcs as the game progesses.

• Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular

right now i'm following gollum around and occasionally stopping to beat the crud out of some captains.

'Guys, I didn't read a single review of this game, but I bought it anyway. Why doesn't it live up to the expectations I pulled out of my ass?'

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Just wait until Lu Bu turns up...

But for real keep playing at least until you unlock branding. Story missions are whatever, but they generally equal cool new abilities.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    AsharadAsharad Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Branding is so great that I am beginning to worry that I lean on it too much.

I was doing a weapons mission, running around a stronghold and the only things left alive besides myself was a gang of what felt like ten orcs under my control. I totally get where Sauron is coming from, because having a Uruk gang is awesome.

Asharad on
  • Options
    Asharad wrote: »
    Branding is so great that I am beginning to worry that I lean on it too much.

I was doing a weapons mission, running around a stronghold and the only things left alive besides myself was a gang of what felt like ten orcs under my control. I totally get where Sauron is coming from, because having a Uruk gang is awesome.

It is very useful especially with runes that make it restore health. It probably has the most effects of any given action you can take on an orc since it restores health, restores shot, removes an enemy, and gives you an ally.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Quiotu wrote: »

'Guys, I didn't read a single review of this game, but I bought it anyway. Why doesn't it live up to the expectations I pulled out of my ass?'

I like that you pulled a mentioning of expectations out of your ass in an inaccurate indirect paraphrasing of my question.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Branding is mega rad, but I thought combat branding made the game piss easy for the most part.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    I'm hoping they will patch in a super hard mode, or at least a harder one.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Rami wrote: »
    I'm hoping they will patch in a super hard mode, or at least a harder one.

Yeah at the moment I'm hoping for a bit more of a challenge. It's definitely an interesting game though. I still can't quite figure out critical hits.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Quiotu wrote: »

I like that you pulled a mentioning of expectations out of your ass in an inaccurate indirect paraphrasing of my question.

Snark aside, if you boil it down, yes, orc smashing is this game. It just has enough layers of orc smashing to be fun and interesting.