As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

One does not simply have a Lord of the Rings: Shadow of Mordor game!

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Ov3rcharge wrote: »
    Does the DLC add anything new having to do with captains?

It adds an entire new set of Captains and Warchiefs to take down. They're static, but the new Warchiefs have new abilities and scenarios.

• Options
    Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular

It adds an entire new set of Captains and Warchiefs to take down. They're static, but the new Warchiefs have new abilities and scenarios.

Is that within the DLC itself or are they interspersed through the main game?

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

The DLC is a separate thing; it takes place in the second area of the game and has it's own missions and heirarchy. You automatically get all skills unlocked while you play it and there's some new critters running around to play with.

• Options
    Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular

The DLC is a separate thing; it takes place in the second area of the game and has it's own missions and heirarchy. You automatically get all skills unlocked while you play it and there's some new critters running around to play with.

Neat, I drunk bought it the other day gonna go give it a try.

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular

Neat, I drunk bought it the other day gonna go give it a try.
    There is also a new challenge that throws the new stuff into the world.

• Options
    FiskebentFiskebent DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I found a good deal on this and bought it without really knowing what it was - aside from the rave reviews. The more I look at it, the more I'm looking forward to playing it. I loved the Batman games and this has an even better setting.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    I'm having trouble taking down one of the war chiefs. The guy blocks everything, and when I vault over him he just takes the following flurry for no damage and then parries, since he has that ability when you can't be hurt by flurry attacks. I just can't get one single hit in that hurts him. Did I miss a tooltip somewhere describing a new kind of enemy?

He's also in a stronghold so whenever I finish off 30 of his minions to get him, they respawn within minutes. Get's old real quick.

Movitz on
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Movitz wrote: »
    I'm having trouble taking down one of the war chiefs. The guy blocks everything, and when I vault over him he just takes the following flurry for no damage and then parries, since he has that ability when you can't be hurt by flurry attacks. I just can't get one single hit in that hurts him. Did I miss a tooltip somewhere describing a new kind of enemy?

He's also in a stronghold so whenever I finish off 30 of his minions to get him, they respawn within minutes. Get's old real quick.
    Wrath damage? Bees? Fire/explosions? Is he immune to orc swords?

• Options
    MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »

I can't remember as I gave up. But the bees might be helpful, unfortunately that means leading him further into the stronghold where all the minions are. I might try riding a caragor into the bastard as well.

So am I just unlucky that the guy was randomized into a combination of strengths that makes him stupidly hard? He seems immune to all my strikes, even though they definitely connect and he bleeds a little.

• Options
    Can't be leapt over and reduced physical damage aren't particularly unusual for higher level war chiefs. Interrogate underlings to learn strengths/weaknesses, then either exploit the weaknesses or gather a horde of mind controlled minions to take them down.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »

I can't remember as I gave up. But the bees might be helpful, unfortunately that means leading him further into the stronghold where all the minions are. I might try riding a caragor into the bastard as well.

So am I just unlucky that the guy was randomized into a combination of strengths that makes him stupidly hard? He seems immune to all my strikes, even though they definitely connect and he bleeds a little.

Make sure you're not missing something obvious. I ran into a few like that but then I'd notice they weren't immune to arrows or stealth attacks. Exploit fears.

But then sometimes you get one that really is just a tough nut to crack. In that case I recommend getting the upgrades for finishers at 5x combo and double finishers, and then just building combo on mooks, using finishers on captain.

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Has anyone else had a problem with all skills, towers, artifacts and Ithildin being unlocked/collected when they start a second playthrough?

It was nice for doing a quick playthrough for my sister over the holiday break but a bit disconcerting for when I want to do a second, harder playthrough.

• Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular

I had one like this. I had already threatened him, too, so he was level 20 with no weaknesses. The only 'hint' was that he could be damaged by ranged weapons and I didn't have the ability to brand yet, either.

It took me a several tries, which meant that he only got stronger. (The first couple tries, I was going up against one of his supporters, who was also under death threat.) I don't remember what exactly I had to do to draw him out, but I think it was something to do with stealth, so I couldn't clear out the entire stronghold first. Fortunately, after the 2nd attempt, the warchief appeared automatically.

On my successful attempt, I took out the random captains in the area first and kept the alarms from being raised. I eventually pared it down to a one on one fight and chained brace of daggers with stuns and half of a flurry attack (trying to finish a flurry attack triggered his "combat master" and gave him a free hit, which allowed him to regain some health).

It took a while, I made him chase me all over the stronghold. I did get an epic rune that made me immune to poison, so it was worth it.

I would still recommend waiting until you get the brand ability and maybe the abilities that reduce the combo to 5x and give you two special attacks per combo. Those three abilities make huge battles a lot more entertaining and a good deal easier.

I've run into a few captains lately that have no weaknesses, are immune to finishers and give me no second chances. Feels good to finally put those guys down.

Now that I'm taking a break from Destiny, I can finally finish up with this game. I'm at 70% completion and still enjoying my run as an orc murderer.

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    Finished the Beastmaster DLC. It was a bit short, but really fun. It's just a shame that none of the stuff is incorporated into the main game because having all that together would be really great. I want to have my little ghul army with me always.

looking forward to the Celebrimbor content now for some more lengthy/serious stuff compared to Beastmaster DLC's more lighthearted nature.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    ok i beat the game and collected all the things

what now?

also I'm not sure I played this game right, I just branded every single orc in the world.

like i never ran into a war chief who I couldn't brand within 15 seconds of fighting him

was there a harder way i was supposed to do it

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular

what now?

also I'm not sure I played this game right, I just branded every single orc in the world.

like i never ran into a war chief who I couldn't brand within 15 seconds of fighting him

There is no difficulty in this game. They let you be a world destroying wraithman monster, and that is intentional.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Now I've got the branding ability, I'm just enjoying being an eminence grise, only emerging to provide assistance to my favoured orcs.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular

what now?

no i'm pretty sure you did good

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    ParzivalJonesParzivalJones Registered User regular
    Picked this up yesterday, was worried it would rub sand in my Tolkien purist vagigi, but so far I'm really enjoying it.

ParzivalFTW.jpg
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    Picked this up yesterday, was worried it would rub sand in my Tolkien purist vagigi, but so far I'm really enjoying it.

Might not want to see then ending then.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    For some reason this games just loves deleting/not reading my save file. No idea why. Sometimes it'll do it 2 or 3 times staring the game up.

Maybe it's mad I seem to have capped out on power before the 2nd map showed up.

• Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    As a developer...

why do you not integrate your DLC with the main game? Do you not see the absurd value-add? It would get me to buy it. Now I wont.

I just dont understand why you would leave money on the table like that.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    As a developer...

why do you not integrate your DLC with the main game? Do you not see the absurd value-add? It would get me to buy it. Now I wont.

I just dont understand why you would leave money on the table like that.

It's a general oddness about open world games. They create these massive environments that could only benefit with extra layers of content, then release DLC that take place in restricted minimaps separate from the main game. It's more normal than not.

GTA is actually the chief developer who tends to layer new content onto their existing sandboxes. They might add a new area here and there, but for the most part their DLC is about exploring more of the existing environment.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    It's usually because they simply didn't code well enough to slip new things into the already structured world seamlessly.
    From a game players perspective, it is also easier to just go to x area and experience everything rather than futz around trying to find bits and pieces scattered about.
    As much as you might not want to buy it now, there's people out there who hate having to go hunt down little bits of content they paid for in areas they've already been in and are now bored by.
    Their wallet's vote is equal to yours.
    "I don't understand why they don't want money" arguments tend to forget that fact. Not everyone shares your tastes.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Well, there's different levels of integration. If you just fast traveled to the new area among all the other fast travels like Borderlands, works well. Random separate challenge maps that you don't earn XP in less well. More stuff just thrown into the world toss up? Do all 3!

• Options
    Bah, completing the weapon legends just gives you a little cosmetic change and some scribbles? Booo.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I really liked the cosmetic changes. *shrug*

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    I really liked the cosmetic changes. *shrug*

Wasn't a fan of the dagger change personally, both because of the sentimental value attached to his son's broken sword, and the fact that the model didn't quite line up properly for some animations, like the cutting prisoners free one.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    The damn game just doesn't want to see my save for some reason. Restore it over and over and eventually it works at random. Really weird.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I tried multiple times to get into this game, and it just wasn't doing it for me. My brother, and everyone opnline kept raving about how good it was, so I gave it one more shot last week. I am now hooked. It finally clicked for me! I've only died once to a random lucky bastard. A lucky bastard that I immediately hunted down.

He was weak to stealth, so I tracked his ass down and air-assassinated him. Stabbed him right through the eye! Then he shows up a few hours later while I was fighting another captain, and he had a metal plate covering the side of his face I stabbed. How cool is that?! I wont be seeing him again, though. Took the fucker's head clean off. I can see why this showed up on so many GOTY lists, pretty damn addicting and solid game. The story isn't very compelling. At least, not where I am in the game. I've got close to 20 hours in the game, and I've only done 8 story missions. It's just way to much fun to roam around and terrorize Uruks and Orcs.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    The best parts of the game have nothing to do with the story. You're doing it right.

One recommendation: Progress the story until you get to the second open map. Do the rightmost story mission.

Then keep doing whatever the hell you want.

• Options
    Is that the mission that gives you Brand? Also, I'm assuming I can go back and forth between the two areas whenever I want?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    i thought the story stuff that gave some insight into the creation of the ring was pretty cool. it's just everything else and then the ending really drag it down.

• Options
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Is that the mission that gives you Brand? Also, I'm assuming I can go back and forth between the two areas whenever I want?

Yep and yep

• Options
    Aren't I supposed be able to have my branded Warchiefs attack other chiefs? Is that another thing I need to advance the story for? So far, all I can do is get free intel from my Warchiefs.

• Options
    The ... first? ... second? ... quest in the second area allows you to do that.

• Options
    How far back is this game set? Like, in relation to Fellowship of the Ring? I'm not terribly knowledgeable on much of the LotR universe outside of the films. I was under the impression that Shadows of Mordor takes place a super long time before Fellowship starts, but my buddy Camembert was talking about Sauruman and the White Council after I picked up an artifact.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    How far back is this game set? Like, in relation to Fellowship of the Ring? I'm not terribly knowledgeable on much of the LotR universe outside of the films. I was under the impression that Shadows of Mordor takes place a super long time before Fellowship starts, but my buddy Camembert was talking about Sauruman and the White Council after I picked up an artifact.

A decade or two out, I think. Maybe a bit more or less, but its definitely between The Hobbit and War of the Rings. Sauron's getting his army together for the big war, Gollum is in Mordor trying to track down the ring, Saruman is already corrupted and Gondor just suffered its first major loss with the game-opening fall of the Black Gate garrison.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    I think it's supposed to take place between The Hobbit and Fellowship.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Hmm. So, that ending... They're taking some liberties for the sake of forcing out a new franchise, huh? This wouldve been perfectly fine as a contained story single game. Ah well, at least whatever they make should be fun to play.

Pretty disappointed with the Tower and Hand "fights" as well =/

Skull2185 on