As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I made this thread... FOR SCIENCE!

• Options
    intropintrop Registered User regular
    Ah, I misunderstood the point of the assertion. I can't speak to the voting algorithm used (not something I've ever worked on); my point was that for modern mil aircraft, in the event of loss of other inputs, GPS is definitely used in navigation and position reporting. It's not a "don't use", then, it's more of a "doesn't preferentially use." Does that jive with your experience or no?

Steam ID: highentropy
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Basically you cannot tell a drone that it is heading west when it is actually heading east by messing with the GPS. Nor could you tell it that it has been flying 300 mph if it is flying 200 mph. The inertial guidance systems would overrule that.

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Back to the "nuclear powered aircraft" issue for a sec, it was researched by both the United States and Soviet Union. The idea was for very long range, very long loiter strategic bombers carrying, of course, nuclear bombs. It was ruled out as viable for many reasons, including the environmental/health/security threats of such a plane crashing, but what was perhaps even more of a detriment was the literal tons of lead required to properly insulate the reactor and, you know, not kill the crew flying the plane.

The US converted a Convair B-36, designated it NB-36H, and it completed a number of flights both with and without the reactor. The airframe originally demonstrated carrying the shielding, some 11 tons of lead, rubber, and foot-thick lead glass for the cockpit. The active testing with the reactor onboard and functioning was exclusively to demonstrate the effectiveness of the shielding. It never powered anything on the bomber, nor did it assist in propulsion. The NB-36H project was cancelled after only a relative handful of tests.

The Soviet program followed a very similar course. The USSR developed the Tupolev Tu-119, and did pretty much exactly the same sorts of tests as the US. Notably the Soviet plane had fewer hours with the reactor active than the US program, though the reactor was present in nearly every flight. Like the US, the Soviet Union cancelled the project, believing it to be far too costly to justify.

In both countries' cases, ICBMs accomplished the same task for cheaper, were more secure, and posed less of a health risk to the people working with and around them.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    I've always loved the concept of a ring world or dyson sphere.
    It's pretty rad.

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    At one point there was a proposal for a nuclear spaceship that would actually use atomic explosions for propulsion

http://www.armaghplanet.com/blog/project-orion-the-incredible-nuclear-spacecraft.html

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    I could have sworn that that was what they were launching soon

Or is that an ion-based propulsion thing and I just *think* it's called Orion?

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Artreus wrote: »
    I could have sworn that that was what they were launching soon

Or is that an ion-based propulsion thing and I just *think* it's called Orion?

Yes, there is a new NASA spacecraft called Orion. No fancy nuclear or ion propulsion. In fact, it's depressingly similar to the old Apollo capsules.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    Oh.

That was totally throwing me off, then. Bummer

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Secret space plane lands at US air force base after unknown two-year mission
    A top-secret space plane landed Friday at an air force base on the southern California coast.

The plane spent nearly two years circling Earth on a classified mission. Known as the X-37B, it resembles a mini space shuttle.

It safely touched down at 9.24am Friday, officials at Vandenberg Air Force Base said.

Just what the plane was doing during its 674 days in orbit has been the subject of sometimes spectacular speculation.

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Peas wrote: »
    Al_wat wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure you get a black hole and the world is destroyed

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae258/jyajin1/explosion_zpsv2xohht9.gif

That must be one hell of a timelapse

• Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    Darn it, someone posted a factually inaccurate video on facebook! I must remember delving into scientific "discussions" on facebook is folly.... must resist the temptation to post corrections...

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Darn it, someone posted a factually inaccurate video on facebook! I must remember delving into scientific "discussions" on facebook is folly.... must resist the temptation to post corrections...

Fire and forget. Post your corrections but don't stay for the conspiracy theory. You may not be able to change their mind but other people reading may see how dumb they are.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    JoeUser wrote: »
    A top-secret space plane landed Friday at an air force base on the southern California coast.

The plane spent nearly two years circling Earth on a classified mission. Known as the X-37B, it resembles a mini space shuttle.

It safely touched down at 9.24am Friday, officials at Vandenberg Air Force Base said.

Just what the plane was doing during its 674 days in orbit has been the subject of sometimes spectacular speculation.

...I don't care for this. not one bit.

tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    god they must've had to piss

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    I thought it was some fancy unmanned deal or something?

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    It really upsets me to think about our soace program. Imagine what we could have accomplished if our education/space budget matched, say, our military budget?

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    On the topic of space stuff, I was having fun looking at a photo Rosetta took of that comet from about 7 kilometers away when I realized I was looking at a photo of a comet taken from about seven kilometers away.

Gotta love those "...wait. Dude." realizations that I hope I never end up fully taking for granted.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    the cheat wrote: »
    JoeUser wrote: »

...I don't care for this. not one bit.

The most obvious guess is that it is some kind of spy satellite that they can bring back to update/upgrade. Other guess is robotic service craft/fuel shuttle for DOD satellites.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Hello science thread

Would you have any interest in a series of posts about the other side effects and oddities of having Aspergers gives you that are usually skipped over in favor of just saying "bad with people"

Because damn there are a lot of them and they are all most interesting than that

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    The X-37B flight is, to me, pretty exciting, since it is a direct, public indicator that the United States Air Force is still actively interested in LEO programs. Stick a small kinetic weapon on that sucker and kill satellites all day every day with absolute secrecy.

Also let's not kid ourselves here, the militarization of space began the minute humanity launched something into space.

• Options
    It really upsets me to think about our space program. Imagine what we could have accomplished if our education/space budget matched, say, our military budget?

There's a lot of problems with space travel that will not be solved by throwing money at it.

The social stigma faced by space programs is pretty bad. People laugh politicians out of the race when they promise to build structures on the moon (although, it was Gingrich), but really, why shouldn't we be building structures further and further afield from earth?

Also international law is incredibly restricting to space travel as leaders have generally failed to come up with any real regulations that work, so they flat out make any attempts at a resource grab by nations illegal.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    And just as soon as space travel is cheaper and weaponized, those laws will be soundly ignored.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Don't worry. Space travel will be pretty much impossible anyway once we start shooting stuff up there and the cloud of junk just shreds the shit out of anything we try to send up.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Don't worry. Space travel will be pretty much impossible anyway once we start shooting stuff up there and the cloud of junk just shreds the shit out of anything we try to send up.

In the words of Douglas Adams, Space is big.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    #pipe wrote: »

Space is, orbits aren't. The ideal orbits are all equatorial or nearly so too (lower launch energies). Basically you're talking about a 4-5000km radius shell around a 3000km radius sphere. Explosions would be particularly bad since it's not enough energy to perform an escape or injection, but all the bits will go onto slightly different orbits creating a huge mess

Phyphor on
  • Options

As a whole yeah

But we have to get through the bit that's right outside the planet

And there's a whoooole lot of stuff up there right now

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular

As a whole yeah

But we have to get through the bit that's right outside the planet

And there's a whoooole lot of stuff up there right now

Yeah, this is actually a pretty reasonable fear. And if it ever happens, the only way to fix it would (probably) be to just wait it out since anything we tried to get up there to clean it up would just get shredded.

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Has anything come of that project to take down space junk with lasers yet?

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    we should put up an International Space Dumpster.

tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • Options
    There was a proposal for a military satellite system that would self propagate by cannibalising nonfunctional satellites.

• Options
    Ill write one just to gauge interest because why not

Sense of Touch

One of the things that many people with aspergers deal with is a messed up sense of touch. And this shows itself in a number of ways

Growing up my sense of touch was extremely sensitive. I had a fear of the wind until I was 12 because any mild gust felt like razors on my skin. It could be 90 degrees out and I would need to bundle up to even leave the house. This extended to rain to, it felt like needles falling on my skin. This has dissapered with age but I still cannot stand the feeling of rain.

Another thing that is near universal is hatred of certain textures. There isnt really any consistency to this one, as everyone book I have read or other autistic person I have talked to has a different one. The one that sticks out in my mind the most is the person who couldnt stand the feeling of paint. For me it was mixed textures. Things like paper mauche, spaghetti with meat balls, nearly all kinds of soup, chunky peanut butter, and any food with sauces on it would cause all my alarms to go off, and at worse caused me to uncontrollably gag. Of that list spaghetti is the only thing that I can eat or touch now.

There is also an obsession with pressure. For some reason we love being squeezed. (I swear this isnt just a kink)
    Many children with Aspergers will stick themselves in small places, or bury them in their toys for the weight. I used to beg the doctor to squeeze those blood pressure checking braces well past the point that it would cut off circulation. This actually causes some problems because many children end up injuring themselves by putting far to much weight on themselves and being unable to escape.

Like most aspects of Aspergers this dissapears with age. Besides the issue with mixed textures none of the things I have listed stuck around after I was 13.

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    JayKaos wrote: »

My interest was piqued so I spent a little bit reading up on proposed ways of dealing with space junk.

The laser thing is interesting because there's an international agreement which bans high powered lasers in orbit (what with their incredibly terrifying military potential) but even with a reasonably small laser, sustained bombardment of protons could alter orbits by up to 200 meters per day, safely moving objects into a safe orbit or into a decaying orbit in which they'd burn up.

Currently there are no proposed options for cleaning up debris that would be cost effective, but in the last few years some new projects have been planned and tested, all involving devices which actively rendezvous with debris and capture it or tow it to a safe/decaying orbit.

There's even a big one with a big net designed specifically to deal with ejected rocket stages and other objects bigger than 200kg, although there are currently around 20,000 objects being tracked down to as small as 2cm in size such as flecks of paint, which can still cause pretty significant damage

#pipe on
  • Options
    I would write a bit about problems with being cohesive with my thoughts but that post speaks for itself

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »

My interest was piqued so I spent a little bit reading up on proposed ways of dealing with space junk.

The laser thing is interesting because there's an international agreement which bans high powered lasers in orbit (what with their incredibly terrifying military potential) but even with a reasonably small laser, sustained bombardment of protons could alter orbits by up to 200 meters per day, safely moving objects into a safe orbit or into a decaying orbit in which they'd burn up.

This sounds like the one I was thinking of , I'll have to try and find that later- the project I was thinking of (as I remember) involved using a ground-based laser to slow things into a decaying orbit.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Yeah there were a couple of ground based laser ideas called LASER BROOMS

• Options
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    "sound does exist as electromagnetic vibrations"

lolwut

cool video though

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    @Bluedude152‌ I found your post neat and insightful and informative about a subject where I apparently know less than I thought I knew. Thanks, have a crackle! :crackle:

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
This discussion has been closed.