As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I made this thread... FOR SCIENCE!

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Ooh that's really interesting. I've always been interested in the idea of colors we can't see. I remember having a dream about discovering a new color as a kid (a somewhat common dream probably) and of course I read the color out of space by H.P. Lovecraft. The idea of patterns and light that someone else can see and we can't and it affecting our perceptions has always been something I've wanted to see explored more in science fiction.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Best part? Human retinas can detect UV light (UVA band, as "blue-white") but the natural lens structure filters it out; removing the lens entirely, or replacing it with a UV-transparent artificial one, allows you to see UV-bright objects even if they aren't radiating in the more normal visual range.

N.B. this isn't an extra set of redundant cone cells that just aren't used or anything, just the high-λ response of the normal blue pigment being triggered by light that wouldn't normally enter the eye.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Have we learned how to fix my deficient eyes yet?

This is 2014, darn it.

You'd think that we'd have figured out some way to allow me to finally see octarine.

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Just be a wizard, it's not hard.
    It's very hard.

:winky:

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Best part? Human retinas can detect UV light (UVA band, as "blue-white") but the natural lens structure filters it out; removing the lens entirely, or replacing it with a UV-transparent artificial one, allows you to see UV-bright objects even if they aren't radiating in the more normal visual range.

N.B. this isn't an extra set of redundant cone cells that just aren't used or anything, just the high-λ response of the normal blue pigment being triggered by light that wouldn't normally enter the eye.

Where do I gotta go to trade a pack of menthol kools for this shine job?

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I would very much like to see UV light, please to be giving me bionic lenses now

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Shit I'd be down for that in a second, I was already planning on paying someone money to cut my eye open and shoot lasers into it anyway so let's just kill two birds with one stone here.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Fyndir wrote: »
    Just be a wizard, it's not hard.
    It's very hard.

:winky:

GET OUTTA HERE, YOU WIZARD.

THIS IS THE GODDAMN SCIENCE THREAD.

I've had it up to here with you blue-hatted beard tuggers trying to impress people by flitting your hands around and then sidling up and trying to get familiar.

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Well I would cast Aura of Unspeakable Sadness on myself, but you took care of that Chico.

:cry:

• Options
    Yeah, well, maybe you should cast Expeditious Retreat and get the F outta here!

• Options
    GoldenSeducerGoldenSeducer AAAAAUGH!! Registered User regular
    Chico, what if he's a SCIENCE Wizard? Like this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbROZYEeNl0

• Options
    I gotta tell you, I don't think too highly of people who multiclass.

• Options
    rogue mage

or

rogue mage

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Rouge mage.

Uses makeup to preform their spells

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    So this is sort of a sciency question? I'm working on a science fiction thing for fun, and the race I made up for it has a sun that is larger, and emits more ultraviolet rays/higher spectrum radiation. So I decided that the species would have a visual spectrum higher than ours, so they can see ultraviolet, but at best struggle with reds and oranges.

My science question is how would that manifest itself? Would it be like a dog or a bull where red and orange things are sort of grayscale, would it be like some kinds of colorblindness where they can't differentiate between colors, or would it be like us and ultraviolet/infrared light, where we can't actually see it at all?

There's a difference between being able to see light of different wavelengths and being able to perceive that light as differing colors.

Kinda? Color is how our brain perceives the wavelength of light, and it regularly perceives colors that don't exist as their own wavelengths of light (pink for instance). Something with the ability to perceive more wavelengths of light could see it as different colors, and could see the spectrum in between as colors that we can't imagine.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Todays talking point

Other things that suffer from Autism
    NQ1RY9y.jpg

Spagehtii

Spagehtii displays all the traits of the average person suffering from Aspergers. They are quiet in social situation. When surrounded by their peers they will go stiff until they can be caoxed into calming town

Spaghetti also ha- alright I cant do this anymore

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Do you have an opinion on Autism Speaks?

I've heard bad things about it from one autistic guy but I'm interested in what you have to say.

• Options
    I have no idea what it is so not really

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    It's one of the larger autism advocacy organisations. They have no autistic people on their board of directors or in their leadership. They see people with autism as a silent burden. That's it's a terrible disease, a fate worse than death. Very little of their fundraising goes to autistic people or families with an autistic child, most of it goes towards finding a cure. And they have links with anti-vaccers.

The Autistic Self Advocacy Network is not a fan of them.

• Options
    Oh well fuck them

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    a4Pqpql.jpg

Buzz Aldrin on a hoverboard

Bluedude152 on
    p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    How bout Excited Mr Bluepants back there

just stoked

• Options
    the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I fucking love everything about that.

tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Oh man imagine being in that launch crew

That moment where the rocket stops ascending and just hovers for half a second before dropping

so much work, so much money

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Thankfully it was an unmanned rocket, so as far as I've seen reported nobody has been injured.

MNcvANI.png

Brolo on
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Seeing how that was a resupply rocket, does it blowing up introduce any kind of stress to the ISS crew or is there plenty of leeway given to resupplies?

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    should have added more struts

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    See, this is why we should have more space funding.

Because...

Space.

And science and shit.

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Seeing how that was a resupply rocket, does it blowing up introduce any kind of stress to the ISS crew or is there plenty of leeway given to resupplies?

Doesn't look like it:
    The BBC wrote:
    However, there should be no immediate threat to supplies for astronauts on the space station. The Cygnus cargo ship that was on top of the Antares is one of a fleet of vehicles that are used in this role. These other robotic vessels, launched atop other rockets, will now have to pick up the slack.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    Yeah afaik it's a mix of NASA, Russian, and Space-X

• Options
    There is no way the ISS would get itself in a position where it needs the next rocket or else

Think how often launches get delayed

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    intropintrop Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I'm watching the press conference about the failed Antares launch now. No casualties. Whew.

The ISS program representative says that the ISS is stocked to account for such a possibility and they are okay, with enough supplies "to support them until well in next year, [...] until the March timeframe." There's also an already-scheduled unmanned launch tomorrow (Progress 57) from Baikonur that is carrying supplies. The ISS program rep said that the SpaceX 9th December scheduled cargo launch might have some slight cargo changes as a result of the vehicle loss today.

There's not a whole lot of other information being given, since they don't have much data yet: apparently the incident response focuses on first securing the data for the ensuing investigation. They won't be able to do debris mapping and recovery until first light tomorrow morning. They did say that the range safety officer sent the termination command to the rocket, but it wasn't clear if the rocket was already exploding at that point or not.

The video looks pretty bad for the launch pad; it seems there will have to be at least some damage to it. I think there are six pads of various sizes there, but the Orbital Sciences guy said that one pad is the only one capable of launching an Antares. Hopefully Wallops can continue with the rest of their work even if there was some damage. (They launch a lot of small sounding rockets and such as part of their normal science work there, or at least they did last time I toured the place.)

introp on
    Steam ID: highentropy
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Ooh that's really interesting. I've always been interested in the idea of colors we can't see. I remember having a dream about discovering a new color as a kid (a somewhat common dream probably) and of course I read the color out of space by H.P. Lovecraft. The idea of patterns and light that someone else can see and we can't and it affecting our perceptions has always been something I've wanted to see explored more in science fiction.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20140905-the-women-with-super-human-vision

http://concettaantico.com/tetrachromacy/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evQsOFQju08

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    the cheat wrote: »
    I fucking love everything about that.

buzz's shirt especially

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Well, this is mostly to blame on interesting thread being gone, but I guess it's also science, science gone wrong, but science nonetheless!
    Virgin Mary Ice Sculpture made from Synthetic Vagina sweat!

If I tried a thousand years, I couldn't explain this.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    What in the world...

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Actually, the artist claims that it is real sweat, but the article doesn't explain exactly how he obtained so much of it.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Actually, the artist claims that it is real sweat, but the article doesn't explain exactly how he obtained so much of it.

That's what I couldn't figure out, It like says things that make you lean real, and then things that lean synthetic , and I think brain just wants it to be synthetic rather than consider the collection process

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    What's so bad about that

People have done weirder things with jizz in the past

This discussion has been closed.