As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I made this thread... FOR SCIENCE!

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Keep your Animes out of the science thread!

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Couldn't you just make medium sized mechs?

like the size of 18 wheelers or something?

You mean like the Shinohara Heavy Industries AV-98 Ingram?

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Kadith wrote: »

What's more scientific than huge robot suits that can fly into space?

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

Gravity and material engineering.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

But seriously though, what's more scientific than huge robot suits that can fly into space?

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Darmak wrote: »

But seriously though, what's more scientific than huge robot suits that can fly into space?

Small robot suits that fly into space.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    robot suits, like what, A.I. middle-management?

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Yeah, but then you have a mech that can only travel short distances.

Also, the thing about big mechs is that they don't have structural integrity. The bigger things are the more you have to account for the fact that there isn't really such a thing as solid parts. Even skyscrapers and bridges, two very immobile things, move a lot during the day. A mech would have the same problem but much worse because a mech is also moving itself deliberately. You could probably get around that by having a very organic-like mech. But big solid mechs are not going to work well.

I'd assume from the power/energy requirement for movement, at something that size, you'd use the equivalent of a carrier reactor to get the job done with a ton of electric motors. But basically it's the repeated stress of all that weight bearing down that is the issue for the mech itself (ignoring the ridiculous force exerted on the ground that would cause it to sink)?

You forget that the main job of a carrier's reactor is to turn a prop. Turning modern propellors to power a buoyant ship through water is an incredibly efficient form of locomotion - this is the reason why a ship as massive as the titanic could be propelled by steam engines literally powered by dudes shoveling coal into fires.

The lifting up and dropping down of a giant mech's heavy ass leg would require WAY more energy than powering an aircraft carrier.

Also you talk about "a ton of electric motors". That's not really how motors work. The force required to make the mech walk would essentially have to be performed by a series of 5 or 6 actuators, working in tandem like tendons to tense and relax, creating the walking motion. At the proposed scales, the energy requirement for the movement of these actuators would be ludicrous.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Couldn't you just make medium sized mechs?

like the size of 18 wheelers or something?

You mean like the Shinohara Heavy Industries AV-98 Ingram?

obviously!

• Options
  • Options
    ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    This is the reason I really dislike facebook groups like I Fucking Love Science. It is a bunch of faff with extraordinary headlines and claims which fundamentally fails to actually teach people science.

Like the article where they said a new cloud had just been discovered and said it was undulatus asperatus (totes not a potter spell) and had photos of mammatus up as the example? They left it up as the meteorological community came unglued. Finally they pulled the article but I got banned first! :D

...wait, fuck I think I just realized I'm a nerd. :c

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »

how long before robot arms are better than normal arms

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »

probably never, depending on what conditions you want to be better

also depending on the conditions they already are and have been better for a long time

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »

also depending on the conditions they already are and have been better for a long time

for jerkin' it

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    they would already be better for that

I mean you ever tried jerking off when your arm is asleep?

Its like it isn't even you!

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »

for jerkin' it

Buddy do I have an extremely narrow fetish website for you

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
  • Options
    ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
    they would already be better for that

I mean you ever tried jerking off when your arm is asleep?

Its like it isn't even you!

Somewhat related and likely very hilarious and NSFW for you guys on here.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular

Man I was just brainstorming a short story involving this
    A marshal from the hardscrabble Martian frontier is chasing a crook who stows away on a cargo shuttle to the super-affluent floating cities of Venus, and has to team up with a local detective to bring him in

One's a city kid and one's a rough and tumble wilderness peacekeeper, you see
    From this conflict arises much comedy

I understand you huuuuumanssssssss enjoy such tomfoolery

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    What my friend unit means to say is that we all enjoy such hijinks and hoodwinks. Since we are all human, you see. Now let us partake of protein and plant fibers in our daily human ritual of fueling.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular

Wait, two arms? So he had two wives at the time? I didn't know that was legal.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    I shot a hog last night and it amazes me how early they begin to breed or at least nurse.

I should mention that I'm doing this as wildlife management for a state park on a hunt I got drawn for.

It's pretty cool too, they estimate they have the largest turkey roost in the state with like, up to 1000 turkeys over the winter.

And around 500 head of axis deer. Which isn't so good as they out-compete the whitetail for resources. But they are so much tastier.

On 2500 acres, which is a ridiculous population density.

Anyway, I got the remainder of this morning to go out and attempt harvesting an axis for the freezer and one for jerky.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    There was a show on The Weather Channel this morning about the feral hog population in Texas that seemed terrifying.

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »
    There was a show on The Weather Channel this morning about the feral hog population in Texas that seemed terrifying.

They are. Even considering their relative size to most other wild animals, feral hogs can cause a frightening amount of damage to property. Do yourself a favor and do *not* look up what they do to other animals in the wild.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    They hug them, right?

Hog hugs.

• Options
    Let's hog it out, Chico.

C'mon, don't be a porky.

• Options
    Hogs are dangerous to people too.

Much like they say don't get between mama bear and her cubs, don't get between a sow and her piglets. I think a female bear is called a sow as well. Could be wrong.

Anyway, the boars are also quite ornery.

But yeah, feral hogs need to be controlled but their breeding, gestation, and general hardiness makes it hard to keep up with.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Last time I was out hog hunting we also had dogs with us. We had stab resistant kevlar vests and collars for the dogs.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    You see this boar spear?
    d5ccfc20c9bf8a6e102797f83c438605.jpg

You know why the side bits were added?

To prevent a stabbed boar working its way up the spear and goring you to death

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Last time I was out hog hunting we also had dogs with us. We had stab resistant kevlar vests and collars for the dogs.

• Options
    Double kevlar even.

• Options

....cause you know, wild boars are totes a weather phenomenon.

stwa1.jpg

• Options
    the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    a wild boar farts in texas, you get rain instead of sunshine in beijing. chaos.

tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Chimera wrote: »

Ever been to West Texas during a Hog storm?

Interesting fact. Know what the difference is between a wild hog and a farm raised pig? Not a goddamn thing. If you release a farm raised piglet in the wild it will grow coarser bristles, large tusks, and can even still interbreed with boars. It's why we have a hog problem in the US to begin with.

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    Wild boar is pretty damned good, but you have to cook the hell out of it to kill all the bugs. I've mostly had it with beans that you cook all day, it keeps decent moisture and prevents the fat from disappearing completely.

Slow roasting is also done but takes all day and you have to keep basting it again and again, so it's best left in a kitchen with football on.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular

Ok, .sigging this

• Options

Interesting fact. Know what the difference is between a wild hog and a farm raised pig? Not a goddamn thing. If you release a farm raised piglet in the wild it will grow coarser bristles, large tusks, and can even still interbreed with boars. It's why we have a hog problem in the US to begin with.

Boar is just a male hog. And yes, feral and domestic hogs can interbreed and some ferals probably include those of Russian descent.

I read on Wikipedia that some publication out of A&M suggests killing (harvesting) 66% of the hog population in Texas is required to keep it stable.

The estimated pig population in Texas is 2.6 million.

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular

Boar is just a male hog. And yes, feral and domestic hogs can interbreed and some ferals probably include those of Russian descent.

I read on Wikipedia that some publication out of A&M suggests killing (harvesting) 66% of the hog population in Texas is required to keep it stable.

The estimated pig population in Texas is 2.6 million.

So, permanent McRib you say?

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular

:rotate:

• Options
    tynic wrote: »

:rotate:
    Alright....how long before robot faces are better than normal faces?

This discussion has been closed.