As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I made this thread... FOR SCIENCE!

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Weaver wrote: »
    Why would I buy an expensive dishwasher loading dog when you know you can't ever trust anyone but yourself to load the dishes properly anyways?

what about in 10-20 years when dishwasher loading dogs are cheap, reliable and also do your laundry and vacuum and make the bed

I cannot wait for the terrible future of self driving cars robots to do my basic stuff around the house, Making the bed is a different case as our bed coverings have become more comfortable and easier to care for and easier to use on the bed compared to what we once had.
    But like I keep saying we are in a cross roads of history with no road ahead As the choices we make are either going to lead us into a that staple of Cyber punk the Corp. Dystopia or the silly sci fi utopia

Roads? Where we are going we don't need roads.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    Why would I buy an expensive dishwasher loading dog when you know you can't ever trust anyone but yourself to load the dishes properly anyways?

what about in 10-20 years when dishwasher loading dogs are cheap, reliable and also do your laundry and vacuum and make the bed

I cannot wait for the terrible future of self driving cars robots to do my basic stuff around the house, Making the bed is a different case as our bed coverings have become more comfortable and easier to care for and easier to use on the bed compared to what we once had.
    But like I keep saying we are in a cross roads of history with no road ahead As the choices we make are either going to lead us into a that staple of Cyber punk the Corp. Dystopia or the silly sci fi utopia

That's actually a pretty good point; once people get used to the idea of self-driving cars, making the flying ones exclusively automated should be much more palatable and, therefore, infinitely safer.
    Now all we have to do is invent a way to fly without wings or burning up gallons of fuel/minute….

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

That's actually a pretty good point; once people get used to the idea of self-driving cars, making the flying ones exclusively automated should be much more palatable and, therefore, infinitely safer.
    Now all we have to do is invent a way to fly without wings or burning up gallons of fuel/minute….

Gravity slings!

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

Dirigibles, Helicopters?
    I'm personally in love with Pop Science's pretty regular predictions about the future of travel, which almost always include some form of airship mass transit. I don't think they're likely, for starters the name "Hindenburg" is hanging over every investor's head when considering it, but they're pretty entertaining.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

Dirigibles, Helicopters?
    I'm personally in love with Pop Science's pretty regular predictions about the future of travel, which almost always include some form of airship mass transit. I don't think they're likely, for starters the name "Hindenburg" is hanging over every investor's head when considering it, but they're pretty entertaining.

Look, as long as they promise to stop making them out of thermite and rocket fuel….

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    I don't personally believe flying will ever be an economic means of everyday travel. The potential time and distance savings for, say commuting from home to work can't possibly be high enough to offset the increased energy costs of countering the force of gravity.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    well not until we get around to mr. fusions, at least

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, and with work from home opportunities rising by the day , the average commute might just go away for lots of industries.

• Options
    Yeah, and with work from home opportunities rising by the day , the average commute might just go away for lots of industries.

There's still errands you have to run in-person, not to mention the basic human need to leave the home and socialize with others. And even if transport is mostly public, it's still going to come down to cost-effectiveness.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

Public transit is overwhelmingly for the benefit of low income people in the US. People who have to physically be at a place and cannot simply telecommute. The way we lay out cities and towns also necessitates riding or driving over walking.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I was referring to the popular science with blimps somehow taking the place of inter state high ways

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    I was referring to the popular science with blimps somehow taking the place of inter state high ways

tWYzpMe.jpg

in 15 years from [insert today's date], scientists say traffic will be a thing of the past since you'll be flying to work!

• Options

Those are from Universe B.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I've always wanted one of those giant wheels you sit in.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    I've always wanted one of those giant wheels you sit in.

https://youtu.be/QtfBRA8xCGE

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    My favourite part of Popular Science is the retrospective page in the back where they show the covers from old issues, "Look at the goofy horseshit from way back when!" when the issue you're holding has a cover story about how public transit in 20 years will be huge bio-mechanical flying jellyfish or whatever the else fuck

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    Hobnail wrote: »
    My favourite part of Popular Science is the retrospective page in the back where they show the covers from old issues, "Look at the goofy horseshit from way back when!" when the issue you're holding has a cover story about how public transit in 20 years will be huge bio-mechanical flying jellyfish or whatever the else fuck

Ooh Ooh!

cs7.jpg?itok=4t2i6ySo

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    HO0YGIH.png

Phobos from Mars

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    622V927.png

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    If that storm ever stops it'll be like finding out Santa Claus was real and then died.

sarukun on
  • Options
    hoax? or ALIENS?

.... OR BOTH????

personally I believe Jupiter is fake

mzsLNy0.png

have any of you SEEN jupiter with your own eyes? I thought not

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I want to buy a telescope.

Mostly because looking at the planets would be radical.

But also so I have that guy look through it and ask him calmly to explain how I faked it.

• Options
    Anyone that thinks all the existing pictures of Jupiter look remotely the same is doing herion RIGHT NOW.

• Options
    look if they DO look the same it's because they're all from the same FAKED source

if they DON'T look the same it's because different FAKERS are making FAKES and getting it wrong

how do you not see that

• Options
    Man I REALLY want a telescope now.

I go through this every summer, thinking about buying a telescope...

It'll pass.

• Options
    Uriel wrote: »

But also so I have that guy look through it and ask him calmly to explain how I faked it.

how can you know what light is doing if it's too far away to see

you can't trust light when its both a wave and a particle at the same time

there's a little something called the uncertainty principle maybe you should read about it

checkmate

• Options
    Let me tell you about timecube.

• Options
    Brolo wrote: »
    hoax? or ALIENS?

.... OR BOTH????

personally I believe Jupiter is fake

mzsLNy0.png

have any of you SEEN jupiter with your own eyes? I thought not

A lot of the images you see in any image search for planets look fake because they're artist renderings. Like, yeah if you're just doing a GIS for Jupiter you're going to find hundreds images from NASA that aren't actual images, but you're missing the artist attribution because you're only looking on Google.

Though, as I recently found out, in a way all the faked images do come from one source because NASA provides free high quality textures of planets from their probe data.

http://nasa3d.arc.nasa.gov

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Xehalus wrote: »
    HO0YGIH.png

Photos from Mars

Ftfy

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    Xehalus wrote: »
    HO0YGIH.png

Photos from Mars

Ftfy

What an embarrassing typo, really.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    If you look thru any decent telescope you can see Jupiter. So... I hate crazy people like that.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    it's a conspiracy by the telescope industry to make you think there's something to look at in the sky

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    If you look thru any decent telescope you can see Jupiter. So... I hate crazy people like that.

On a nice night you can even resolve the planet and the Galilean moons with a decent pair of binoculars

• Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular

You can see Jupiter... with your eyes? It's the third brightest object in the night sky after the Moon and Venus.

sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Tossrock wrote: »

You can see Jupiter... with your eyes? It's the third brightest object in the night sky after the Moon and Venus.

lies

do you see jupiter in this diagram?

I don't need Big Science(TM) telling me when or where I should be looking at the sky

stop trying to indoctrinate people

Brolo on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    TRY IT!

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Uriel wrote: »

I showed my wife the galilean moons before we were married, and now we're married.

Coincidence? I'll let you decide.

Go buy a telescope.

Veevee on
  • Options
    I'd have to take it to like my mom's house or something. Just to get away from the light pollution in the city.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    someone needs to convince these people that bleach is a secret immortality potion that BIG PHARMA doesn't want anyone to know about

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
This discussion has been closed.