As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

War Thunder: 1.7.5 has arrived and oscillating turrets are the new HOTness!

• Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    Just got to T3 tanks now, almost have the Tiger. I have a PIII and the left-most tank destroyer and man that thing hits HARD.

• Options
    BenebBeneb Registered User regular
    Is it worth the grind for Germans? All I hear is more and more about death and destruction the farther you go down the German rabbit hole.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    @beneb planes or tanks?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    So, was trying to remember where i was with planes...

Constant 7:1, 9:1, 10:1 KDR with the Yak-9 series. Lol.

Never change, Gaijin.

There's no point in flying anything that doesn't have at least 2x 20mm on it in arcade.

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    Beneb wrote: »
    Is it worth the grind for Germans? All I hear is more and more about death and destruction the farther you go down the German rabbit hole.

For the tanks it hasn't been so bad, although I'm scarred for life now that I've tipped my Marder III over so many times. And players will troll you too, basically PITing you till you tip.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    In terms of vehicle progression, arcade is the fastest. Quick games coupled with the guarantee that you'll kill or bomb SOMETHING means you'll progress faster through unlocks and mods. You can get higher reward yields per action in RB and even more in Simulator, but there will be many a time where you'll go the whole match and not get to do a god damn thing.

This is very, very importantly true.

The rewards are much, much higher in Realistic vs. Arcade (e.g., at Tier 2/3 kick-ass arcade match is ~10k lions, a kick-ass realistic match is ~30k lions, adjusted up or down by tier), but the costs are also much, much higher as well.

Like, repairing after an arcade match will cost (at Tier 2/3) a couple thousand lions if you have to repair all 5 planes you brought.

Repairing your single realistic plane will run you 6-10k by itself.

If you fly out in your Corsair, and get yourself shot down first in the match, you'll be out 6k lions with nothing to show for it, and it really, really sucks. I'm glad PGI got rid of repair and rearm costs in MWO, and I wish Gaijin would do the same.

Paying for repairs is silly

the crews repair stuff themselves

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    TheflyingassTheflyingass Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Elldren wrote: »
    In terms of vehicle progression, arcade is the fastest. Quick games coupled with the guarantee that you'll kill or bomb SOMETHING means you'll progress faster through unlocks and mods. You can get higher reward yields per action in RB and even more in Simulator, but there will be many a time where you'll go the whole match and not get to do a god damn thing.

The rewards are much, much higher in Realistic vs. Arcade (e.g., at Tier 2/3 kick-ass arcade match is ~10k lions, a kick-ass realistic match is ~30k lions, adjusted up or down by tier), but the costs are also much, much higher as well.

Like, repairing after an arcade match will cost (at Tier 2/3) a couple thousand lions if you have to repair all 5 planes you brought.

If you fly out in your Corsair, and get yourself shot down first in the match, you'll be out 6k lions with nothing to show for it, and it really, really sucks. I'm glad PGI got rid of repair and rearm costs in MWO, and I wish Gaijin would do the same.

Which takes an age and a half. Not exactly ideal if I want to focus on 1 plane.

The repair costs aren't even a noticeable concern until jets.

Theflyingass on
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I've become very aware that my teammates will shoot me down if I shoot down a plane they want to kill

It's stupid and should be punished more severely

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

If you're willing to wait three days, I guess?

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

crew skills yo

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options

crew skills yo

1.5 days!

• Options

crew skills yo

... Does not meaningfully affect the time required, and also requires a metric assload of crew xp to even get them to the point where they can repair planes higher than tier 2, so ...

• Options
    BenebBeneb Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Sorry...yeah tanks.

I've also come to realize that AB tank drivers are TERRIBLE and in RB you actually (sometimes) get teammates who will try to do the objective.

Beneb on
  • Options
    HellboreHellbore A bad, bad man Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    So after hemming and hawing over this game for the past year, I finally checked it out and found it alot of fun. I applied for the squadron in the OP and look forward to many hours lost.

Hellbore on
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    7.7mm rounds need to be buffed a bit. Maybe I'm just remembering things differently, but I remember these rounds having SOME stopping power if you grouped em up and sustained for a 2-3 seconds. I remember sawing wings off or at least getting a couple critical hits. But for awhile I've been noticing (for arcade at least) that these rounds do fuck all. I've sat on someones tail, at convergence range, with my Typhoon 1a (12 guns) unloading until my guns start jamming, and fuck all is happening. I've come in from above and get a good 3 seconds of fire on the front of their plane and fuck all is damaged; that used to set an engine on fire at least.

I get that historically it took on average 4,000 7.7mm rounds to bring down a German fighter, and keeping it like that for RB/Sim is fine, because control surface damage is much more impactful in those modes. But in arcade, where stopping power is king, it makes flying early British planes really frustrating. 2 kills / 14 assists.

@Elldren Your preference for plane repair is UNACCEPTABLE! You must repent your heretic ways and begin regularly donating to the church of Auto Repair!

Theflyingass on
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Nah that sounds just like when I played the early British tree a year ago, don't think anything changed.

• Options
    NijaNija Registered User regular
    Set your convergence closer. For early British and Japan I think I set it at like 300. When I was at 500 I was getting similar kill/assist rate.

What may also help is diving across the broadest part of the enemy so you are showering their entire plane in your pebbles. Maybe you get lucky and knock the pilot out.

Priest lvl 110 Warlock lvl 9x DK lvl 110 Paladin lvl 9x Rogue lvl 8x

Steam Me
  • Options
    Yeah, setting it to 200m does the trick. I might as well chop the tail off with my prop.

• Options
    Annnd the arcade controls are fucked. the tail controls lock up and the instructor is way too... Soft? on the controls.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    I just chundered it up again for a bit (ahhh, that new computer smell) and they seemed off, but not really dramatically so.

That said, the devs have said outright that something screwed up and they'll be fixing the tail control issue sooner rather than later.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    If you are like me and have been taking a massive hit to your nVidia card here is a possible solution. The nVidia Game Ready driver 347.52 WHQL is linked right at the top. I installed this driver last night and the game was playable. I formerly had turned everything all the way down and turned on old graphics card support and I was barely breaking 25 fps in planes and 15 fps in tanks.

Happy days are here again.

Nija on

Steam Me
  • Options
  • Options
    Dear players!

We are pleased to announce that we have finished work on the simplified game mechanics for the original War Thunder announcement anniversary date!

We have already created one new vehicle - the SPS-255 (Special Purpose Sherman), which meets the requirements for the new mode completely. It is easy to control, it won’t drift, since it’s only able to achieve a speed of 6 mph (10 km/h). The tank is equally armoured all over with rubberized armour and doesn’t have any particular weak spots - all of them are equally weak. Two special shell types offered are not that different one from another - which allows users to not have to change their playstyle when they run out of the ammo that they are used to.

Another difference from the rest of the War Thunder vehicles is that SPS-255 has a health bar - or so-called “hitpoints”, which may help users from other projects to adapt.

The developers are certain that the new tank will be highly appreciated by new players, who have just begun to play War Thunder, as well as our already experienced tankers, who wish to take a break from the real battles with tanks made of steel.

Try the SPS-255 and the new War Thunder mode in the “Events” tab!

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    And the Dev blog mentions they might be adding in the oft-forgotten ST-1, seen here

attack_soviet%20soldiers_1941.jpg

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    IT'S IN
    Нереальные войны | War Thunder: https://youtu.be/rJv6dOUdTgo

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    The ST-1 event was fun. What was not fun was resetting every one of my crews for USA, Germany and Russia.

Steam Me
  • Options
    SonarSonar Registered User regular
    I'm in game as Merad, pure tanker. I'm putting in an application.

I'm building a real pirate ship. Really. Wanna help? Click here!
    steam_sig.png
    caffron said: "and cat pee is not a laughing matter"
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Fucking figures they'd do something that cool when I was at work. Fffuuuuuuuuuuuuuu-

EDIT: WOOHOO! I successfully hot glued my TrackIR 4 back together! FIFTY CAL GLORY HERE I COME!

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    War Thunder Patch 1.49 HYPE! Skyraider AD-2! IL 2…: https://youtu.be/el1GMA8SUHs

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Oh, man - the Skyraider's one of my favorite planes ever!

Also, I think Gaijin's stacking the decks with their wager system.

Every time I activate a "golden battles" wager, I get the derpiest of derpy teams.

Like, the last one I did, I went 0-3.

First battle was against Germans in Norway, so of course the FW-190s were out in force. The mixed US- and British-forces went 2-10 in a predictable loss.

Next mission was against Germans in Sicily, which was another almost guarantee of a loss to begin with, but then we had some asshole on the tarmac launching rockets into friendlies, so we started the match down three planes. So, yeah.

For the final mission, I dropped into Arcade just to make it so that I'd have some FW-190s on my side for once, and it was an Air Domination map, something like 12v12. After the first pass, 8 people on my team dropped, leaving it a 4v12 match. Needless to say, that one didn't end in a win, either.

I mean, I am in no way an amazing player here, and I've had my fair share of derp matches, but there's absolutely no way that my performance can account for basically every match against Germans resulting in a completely 1-sided stomp. Like, random chance says that, eventually, I'd get someone on my team who is awesome and we'd win, but I have never actually had a win against the Germans at this BR (3.7 or 5, depending on P-47 or -1C Corsair). It's pretty fucking ridiculous how much those planes are outperforming absolutely everything else in the BR band.

Even better was 1 match that I finally got to play against Japan in my Corsair (Midway), because boom-and-zoom Corsair against nimble Zeroes is an interesting matchup that can go either way, and 4 members of the opposing team were in the premium FW-190s. You can't freakin' escape them!

• Options
    Dear players!

War Thunder Update 1.49 'Weapons of Victory' is not too far away - and it will include a variety of new combat vehicles that you will be able to play. On this occasion, we want to present to you the preliminary list of vehicles currently planned for introduction in Update 1.49. Of course, we will also continue to brief you about each vehicle individually - so keep an eye on our Developer's Blog!

New aircraft:

USA: Skyraider AD-2
    USSR: IL-2 1943
    Germany: Ar 234C-3, Hs.129 (Cockpit)
    Britain: FireFly F.Mk.I, FireFly F.Mk.V, Seafire Mk.XVII, Sea Fury FB.11, Attacker FB.1, Canberra (Cockpit)
    Japan: J2M2, Ki-21
    New ground vehicles:

USA: M2A2, 75mm M3 GMC, M18 GMC, T95 GMC, Т28, М10 GMC, M18 Black Cat, M5A1 (5th Armored Division)
    Germany: StuH 42G
    USSR: 4М GAZ-ААА, SU-57, SU-122-54, Т-34-85E, Т-34E STZ, IS-2 "Revenge", SU-76М (5th Guards Cossacks Cavalry Corps)

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Oh, man - the Skyraider's one of my favorite planes ever!

Also, I think Gaijin's stacking the decks with their wager system.

Every time I activate a "golden battles" wager, I get the derpiest of derpy teams.

Like, the last one I did, I went 0-3.

I've gotten golden battles wagers four times, and tonight's the first time I didn't lose three matches in a row right after activating them. This time the first two were blowouts and the third was an utter skin-of-the-teeth comeback where I only managed to get a kill by a lucky artillery call because I spent most of the match with my gun or turret mechanisms shot out. Gah.

• Options
    So, about to hit the 2-month mark of playing since I got into this, and I have to say I am really, really enjoying it. I have yet to take part in any air battles, instead focusing on the ground forces. I am just about to get into the Panther tanks, and the grind is definitely there, but it's not so terrible. I've gotten a lot better about being patient and only presenting the toughest part of my tank to the enemy and taking high-percentage shots on side and rear armor. I usually place in the top 3 of my team consistently, although with pubs that's not a real good indicator.

If anyone sees me online please don't hesitate to jump in. I'm going to get to the Maus here within the next... probably 2 months again if my RP generation stays the same. Then I'll see about expanding into the Russian side of things. I really should start flying more planes, too. It's like... there's a whole other game there and that's so awesome.

• Options
    PhaserlightPhaserlight Boca Raton, FLRegistered User regular
    War thunder is a decently fun game. They did a nice job with this one.

Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online
  • Options
    We continue to work on improvements to the aircraft damage model in War Thunder. One of the major improvements for it will be in the transition for the calculation of structural strength of the aircraft from the simplified system to a more detailed one.

As a result of the new system, you will see significant changes in the behavior of aircraft in collisions, as well as during emergency landing. For example, it will be more difficult to harm a heavy bomber by ramming it while flying a light aircraft, and the correct execution of the “belly landing” will damage the aircraft just slightly with possibility to fully repair it and return to battle again.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options