As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth] Afterbirth+ is live!

• Options
    chris: waffle kingchris: waffle king whiskey-fueled crank Osaka's OverbellyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Want to throw a huge thanks to @Dibby‌ for their great lil' psuedo-save-scum trick for the Lost. It does, absolutely work. i've made it up through to Satan, though i'm stuck there for the moment, keep bumping into the Mini-me Fallen in the first stage of the fight.

i will say, echoing D's advice, to hold out for something really good before you get things going. i've got a kinda-sorta-ok run going here. It's not terrible by any means, but there's not much to write home about (couple of damage upgrades, rubber cement, robobaby2.0, and Steven). It does ask a bit more skill to get through some of the rooms if you don't want to be getting really comfy with alt+F4 (i feel so bad for everyone on my friends list that had to see my start up notice about a million times at 5second intervals this morning).

One weird thing that came up: Got through the XL Basement, through the first floor Caves, the Devil Room popped up & i exited/continued to save, incase it was a Krampus room (Rebirth loves giving me Krampus). When i came back, the Devil Room was gone, but i just shrugged and figured them's the breaks. But, then...every other Devil Room to come up (and i'd picked up Goat's Head, so that was every floor) had just 2 (Milk-version) Breakfasts on offer for the Deal. i skipped picking them up the first 2times, cause, the Lost, but finally broke down on Utero 1, just to see if it would jog things abit. Beat It Lives (which took forever and was super lucky), and the Devil Room (which is usually just a trapdoor to Sheol, right) had the same damned 2 milk Breakfasts again. What's up with that, anyone know?

chris: waffle king on
    steam_sig.png
    時計仕掛けの子の丸々太った磁器の顔に表情は無いが、転がりながら、口がカチッと開閉して、腕が上下に動い た。

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
    Wanna watch a gaijin butcher monsters and the Japanese Language all at once? Sure you do, and now you can!
  • Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    I'm not exactly sure what causes it, certainly something to do with the save/force quit thing I'd guess, but I did see it during one of my Lost runs as well. It only came up after the It Lives fight, which is why it stood out to me since there's normally nothing there but the way down to Sheol.

• Options
    chris: waffle kingchris: waffle king whiskey-fueled crank Osaka's OverbellyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Dranyth wrote: »
    I'm not exactly sure what causes it, certainly something to do with the save/force quit thing I'd guess, but I did see it during one of my Lost runs as well. It only came up after the It Lives fight, which is why it stood out to me since there's normally nothing there but the way down to Sheol.

*Nods*Nods*

S'ppose that's it then. Now i'm wondering to myself if i should just restart a run, or try to force my way through. Losing those Devil Rooms, plus some of the cruddy pulls i got from regular treasure rooms (not to mention a few poor choices w/r/t my space bar item), has left me pretty sub-optimal. But then i think: i've got an Emperor Card, if i can just get past Satan it's just a skip to the Lamb, and that's not nearly as frustrating a fight. Saa...decisions, decisions.

One point, though i'm sure everyone'd noticed but me, continuing from the Menu screen seems to erace any killable followers (blue flies and spiders, then), so picking up Guppy's head to try to go the full Gupp isn't a bad idea, but there's not a lot of reason to hold on to it after. *Sigh* Coulda had a Unicorn Hoof, which woulda helped out an awful lot.

chris: waffle king on
    steam_sig.png

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
    Wanna watch a gaijin butcher monsters and the Japanese Language all at once? Sure you do, and now you can!
  • Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    Want to throw a huge thanks to @Dibby‌ for their great lil' psuedo-save-scum trick for the Lost. It does, absolutely work. i've made it up through to Satan, though i'm stuck there for the moment, keep bumping into the Mini-me Fallen in the first stage of the fight.

i will say, echoing D's advice, to hold out for something really good before you get things going. i've got a kinda-sorta-ok run going here. It's not terrible by any means, but there's not much to write home about (couple of damage upgrades, rubber cement, robobaby2.0, and Steven). It does ask a bit more skill to get through some of the rooms if you don't want to be getting really comfy with alt+F4 (i feel so bad for everyone on my friends list that had to see my start up notice about a million times at 5second intervals this morning).
    :+1:
    One weird thing that came up: Got through the XL Basement, through the first floor Caves, the Devil Room popped up & i exited/continued to save, incase it was a Krampus room (Rebirth loves giving me Krampus). When i came back, the Devil Room was gone, but i just shrugged and figured them's the breaks. But, then...every other Devil Room to come up (and i'd picked up Goat's Head, so that was every floor) had just 2 (Milk-version) Breakfasts on offer for the Deal. i skipped picking them up the first 2times, cause, the Lost, but finally broke down on Utero 1, just to see if it would jog things abit. Beat It Lives (which took forever and was super lucky), and the Devil Room (which is usually just a trapdoor to Sheol, right) had the same damned 2 milk Breakfasts again. What's up with that, anyone know?

Yeah, same thing happened with my The Lost runs as well. Not only that but I was getting the EXACT same Devil Room items floor to floor, from run to run. Guppy's Head and Book of Sin on Floor 1, always. I was resetting, though, not doing completely new runs, so that might also factor in.

Decided to snub the Devil-mans and got Angel rooms instead with some nice shit. Never saw glitched Breakfast items there, so that was nice.

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Having the D6 makes Angel rooms so much better

Either you get an item or you don't, and if you don't, you still do because you can bomb the angel for one

If you do have an item in the room and it's not something you want, you get to reroll two items and chances are at least one of them will be something you want

• Options
    bk22v63zt49c.jpg

Unless the DLC forces me to, i am never touching The Lost again. Got really lucky, though, and picked up a full Bandage Girl on my second run though to Satan (screwed the first one up...somehow, though that wound up being for the best). Picked up some good stuff in my next lightside run, and managed to make it in time for the Boss Rush on that one. Everything kept coming up roses. Except for the Devil Rooms, kept on getting Guppy's Head and Book of Sin in my first ones, too, then garbage, and eventually a Breakfast loop; 's'got to have something to do with kinda-sorta-cheat.

So...looks like there're just 8items for me to pick up, all of them except SMeat Boy already unlocked, and that'll be 100% for BoI:R, for me (least 'til the DLC). Thanks a load, y'all for the various tips and tricks and the whatnot, yeah?

steam_sig.png

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Was losing faith in the game, getting bad run after bad run after bad run. Was -36 streak. Notice it has probably been on hard for 40-50 runs. whoops.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    If the game process crashes or is forcefully closed, the Devil Room of the current floor will be changed to a Devil Room with 2 deals. Guppy's Head and The Book Of Sin will usually be available unless Isaac has already seen them.

From the wiki. I think something about reloading causes the devil room items to reroll until the pool empties. When you get nothing but breakfast. I had it on one of my Lost runs. Skipping picking them up and getting angel rooms would have been smarter.

edit: Ipecac+Monstro's Lung does insane damage. Had a Halo as my only damage up and the pulse worm trinket, but I hit the fallen hard enough that he just splattered instead of splitting.

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Fucking fuckety fucks of fuck.

My attempts to get The Godhead have been a fucking comedy of errors.

I had a great run going-- Guppy's Paw, Dead Cat, Death's Touch, SMB Super Fan, stats out the wazoo. Realized that hey, I can go through the damage doors and just tank the death with my extra lives, and get more free Satan stuff! ... yeah, except that you respawn back in the last room you died, which is inside the damage barrier. Whoops, run over.

And now I got a great one-- Death's Touch, Cricket's Head, Brimstone, Little Brimstone, Proptosis, again, the works for damage. Got all the way through the Chest and hardly even needed the save scumming I was doing. And then I look at the new run screen... and realize that somehow I fucking reset it to normal mode so none of it fucking counted.

Arrrhrgrghgrgaghghhgl!!!

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    Fucking fuckety fucks of fuck.

My attempts to get The Godhead have been a fucking comedy of errors.

I had a great run going-- Guppy's Paw, Dead Cat, Death's Touch, SMB Super Fan, stats out the wazoo. Realized that hey, I can go through the damage doors and just tank the death with my extra lives, and get more free Satan stuff! ... yeah, except that you respawn back in the last room you died, which is inside the damage barrier. Whoops, run over.

You know if you kill yourself with a bomb inside a curse room you spawn outside of it?

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    You don't even necessarily need to do that, if you move slowly into the curse room door, it'll hurt you before the room transition. I'm not sure if analog control is necessary for that, it might be though.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Either way, the fact that I've now managed to sabotage three good Lost runs (I'd previously managed a Gnawed Leaf and orbiters setup that killed Satan... after I'd picked up the Polaroid and completely forgotten) has prompted me to just uninstall the game. I have seen everything I want to of The Binding of Isaac and the rest is just busywork eating my time.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Ugh I know how that feels. I was deep in the cathedral with the lost and after dying paused and went to exit game on reflex to save and got very annoyed.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Hey all, what is the "sync" function supposed to do on the PS4 and Vita? I assumed it was so you could keep playing the same file on both but I've been uploading whenever I quit and downloading whenever I start but I still seem to have to unlock everything once on each system.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    That's exactly what it does, and I'm not sure why it isn't working right for you. I upload from my Vita and download to my PS4 and my file is identical.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I think I've unlocked Mr. Mega three times now but character unlocks do seem to work. I'm not really sure what's going on; I assume I must have mischosen upload or download at some point.

• Options
    Woo, real platinum god Get. Last item to get was missing no. Accomplished through the horrible method of sharp plug/D6 and... ... Placenta. Don't try this at home.
    Although the run before with d20+sharp plug running out the treasure item and angel room pools was hilarious.
    Also somehow I managed to avoid actually picking up the dollar bill except in challenges. I tend to try and spend all my money before picking it up and sometimes just forget to grab it before exiting the level. I do the same thing with eternal hearts.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    edited February 2015
    On the second file I started and have been running streaks on, I still need Guardian Angel Steven, Dead Dove and Breath of Life. Guess I need to start trying for angel rooms...

Dranyth on
  • Options
    I need The Candle and then Real Platinum God is mine. It never shows up!

• Options
    Fuuuuck yes. Real platinum god is mine at last.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    *is still protesting the level of bull that is the lost*

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I just unlocked the lost last this morning. This shit is hard.
    Already at -25 streak.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    I'm missing 5 items that I need to get Platinum God/Real Platinum God. They are:

Raw Liver
    Black Lotus
    Steven
    D100
    Super Bandage

Granted, I have to also first make a full Super Meat Boy and Bandage Girl. God, I'm so close though. I did a whole bunch of reset runs with Isaac the other day and knocked a few items off my list. Being able to reroll two Angel Room Items is pretty nice (actual Angel Room item + Key Fragment). Raw Liver and Black Lotus are going to be annoying, though.

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    Dibby wrote: »
    I'm missing 5 items that I need to get Platinum God/Real Platinum God. They are:

Black Lotus

If i'm remembering right, Black Lotus is a Secret Room item. So...you can try with Isaac until you naturally get a Secret Room with an item in it, and then reroll as much as you can and hopefully get the BL, or you can try bringing in...i think it's the Judgement card...the beggar will eventually drop a pillar item, and then you can reroll that. i don't think the BL was that much a pain in the arse, at least not compared to the others.

steam_sig.png

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
  • Options
    It's pretty damn rare. I've seen it a grand total of 3 times over about 300 runs.

• Options
    KambingKambing Registered User regular
    Yea. The secret room items are frequently the last ones on your list. For me, it was 1-up and Missing No.. The best way of farming them that I found was bombing a random wall in the starting room as Isaac, reset, and repeat. As long as you are on PC (and can easily reset with 'R'), you can process secret rooms faster this way than actually playing out a map to completion.

@TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.
  • Options
    Mostly because secret rooms very very very rarely have items in them anymore. Much like the boss challenge rooms rarely having anything decent in them. Though I did have a run the other night where a boss challenge room on the Depths had Polyphemus just sitting there. So that was pretty nice.

• Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    Does anyone have any tips for beating It Lives with ??? on Hard? I always seem to be low on health by the time I hit the Womb.

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    Kambing wrote: »
    Yea. The secret room items are frequently the last ones on your list. For me, it was 1-up and Missing No.. The best way of farming them that I found was bombing a random wall in the starting room as Isaac, reset, and repeat. As long as you are on PC (and can easily reset with 'R'), you can process secret rooms faster this way than actually playing out a map to completion.

I found it was best to reset until you get Ipecac/fetus/dr fetus/or scaplar. Then you have automatic entry to every secret room, and can usually get habit/sharpplug in a shop if you save your rerolls for it. Just bomb the donation machine to get the funds if needed.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Mostly because secret rooms very very very rarely have items in them anymore. Much like the boss challenge rooms rarely having anything decent in them. Though I did have a run the other night where a boss challenge room on the Depths had Polyphemus just sitting there. So that was pretty nice.
    Seriously, the boss rooms are such a stupid pain in the ass and then I get, like, 1 coin.

Coinage on
  • Options
    Spark plug and Wafer are the only way I managed to get SMB and Bandage Girl unlocked. Free rerolls in the chest until Pyromaniac and Ipecac rolled up, then Monster Manuel.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Does anyone have any tips for beating It Lives with ??? on Hard? I always seem to be low on health by the time I hit the Womb.

The easy answer is don't get hit. The slightly more useful one is scan every room for tinted rocks; it's easy to miss a few every run and they're very important to Blue Baby
    Coinage wrote: »
    Seriously, the boss rooms are such a stupid pain in the ass and then I get, like, 1 coin.

Really? I like Boss trap rooms now. For some reason they feel easier than in the original--I think it's because the smoother frame rate and controls makes most bosses way easier than they used to be (Chub and Loki in particular, who are boss trap staples). I'll pull the trigger on any boss trap room that has red chests, just for the guppy chance, and overall it works out well for me.

Also, today in 'Adventures in spamming the D4 on the chest after beating blue baby and forget-me-nowing': Isaac's Heart, The Mind, and The Soul checked off my item list, still with nothing actually beaten as the Lost. Cool. Items I'm still missing: The Scissors (just checked, currently at 99 deaths), Godhead, The Body, The D100, The Stopwatch (donation machine is at ~960), Blue Candle (just hit 900 donations), and Steven (of course). Pretty close to the end, here.

Except still having to do Lost runs. Argh.

edit: Also, all this meat boy complaining. Book of Revelations on the second floor of an Eden run got me Meat Boy, and then four runs later I got Bandage Girl for absolutely no reason but RNG on a Judas run. Truly the most skillful of play.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Fucking experimental treatment.
    My stats went from 2 2 2 2 2 1 to 2 1 1 3 2 1
    All stats up my ass.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Fucking experimental treatment.
    My stats went from 2 2 2 2 2 1 to 2 1 1 3 2 1
    All stats up my ass.
    The stats are fractional and the fractional parts are not shown on the screen. The interface still could use some work.

• Options
    They aren't just fractional, they're straight up all different scales. It's a really really really stupid stats screen. Speed maxes out at 2 I believe, which is 4 ticks (the most you'll ever see on the meter), standard range upgrades are usually 5.25, which I think are about 1 tick mark each. Damage Ups can be anywhere from 0.3 to about 1.5 for the bigger ones. The Tears meter outright bugs out a lot of the time. I've had games where I've gotten either or both, a lot of tears up items or a lot of tears up pills, and on the stats screen, my Tears line either stays at 1 tick mark or 3 tick marks the whole game, despite the fact that I'm obviously firing really fast. And I've also seen the Tears meter completely full, though that might only be after special items like Soy Milk and such, not sure. I don't even recall how the Shot Speed meter works, I think 2 tick marks is the highest I ever see it get to. And most shot speed up items are like 0.2 increases as well.

I can't remember how much each damage tick mark is really worth, but it's pretty easy to go above that mark, which makes getting an actual idea of what your damage is supposed to be pretty useless.

• Options
    Yeah, I know the pips have different values hidden behind them based on the character, so I'm guessing that's the culprit. It's just really annoying.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Hmm probably should have looked at my stats that game I ran out the treasure room pool.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    They aren't based on the character as far as I know. It's just how the stats work.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Beat
    Isaac
    for the first time. Multiple damage reduction items made the bullet hell a doddle.

I killed It Lives! with the Bible, opening up the extra levels - I don't think I've killed it "properly" yet. Are there endings for doing so?

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    I don't believe it makes a difference how you kill It Lives, so long as you kill it.