As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Chrome loads new tabs very slowly

VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
I use chrome on 4 different devices, 1 phone and 3 PCs, and on the PCs chrome is extremely slow when just first opening and when opening new tabs/windows. The first time I open chrome it seems to go through a 5 minute loading process before it will let me type in any location or click a bookmark which will then take another minute to load. After that if I were to click on any link it would take me to the page at what I'd consider a normal speed, but if I open the link in a new tab it will open the tab but take at least a minute to even start to load the webpage before it resumes it's normal pace.

For example, when reading the D&D forums I will open a new tab on all the threads I want to read. Start at the top, middle click the thread to load in a new tab, then regular click once I get to the bottom and start to read. Every time the tabs don't even start to load until I'm already reading the last thread I clicked on. Sometimes clicking on the tab to make it the focus will make it start to load immediately, and other times it doesn't, and other times it wont start to load until the tab gets the focus even if I wait 15+ minutes (which it then loads immediately). I just did a trial with 4 new tabs and timed it, from opening a new tab to starting to load was 2 minutes and 16 seconds with the actual loading only taking a few seconds. Oh, and all the tabs start to load the pages at the same exact time. While waiting for the tab to start loading there is also no network traffic according to task manager, and it does this on all 3 PCs I use.

Computers are an ancient desktop and a 2 year old mid-range laptop I use at home, and at work I use a citrix login to an offsite server followed by another citrix login to access a virtual desktop. Same problem on all 3 systems. Being logged in to or out of my google account doesn't change the issue either way. Using google's DNS servers instead of the ones my ISP auto directs me to doesn't change anything. Any other suggestions that might help? I'm getting tired of waiting longer for a tab to start to load an article than it takes to read it because I decided to open it in a new tab.

tl;dr "Chrome is being a bitch, can I make it my bitch?"

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    What extensions are being used on those PC chrome browsers? Maybe there is a common one causing problems?

• Options
    Just looked at chrome://extensions/, and all I see is adblock, chrome remote desktop, google docs, and enhanced steam. Deactivating them doesn't change the way tabs are behaving.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    How do other browsers perform? Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling chrome?

Is there anyone else out there with any ideas? :)

• Options
    Other browsers work as I'd expect them to, this seems to be a chrome specific issue.

And on a hunch, I tried doing my standard forum browsing while incognito and new tabs loaded as I'd expect them to.