As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I heart New York

• Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited April 2007
    new york is not for little pussies who scream

bongi on
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    this is boring

Weaver on
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Druhim wrote: »
    Faricazy wrote: »
    Later he started going on about how black women gave birth to everyone and this sicilian woman pointed at a black chick and went "She's not my mom, my mom's name is FLorence, she's an electrician!"

I had to leave the train to go to work and post about it though.

Dammn.
    Essentially he seems to be correct. The evidence strongly suggests that H. sapiens originated in Africa and emigrated around the world from there.

But did we turn dark before or after said birth? It all has to do with the amount of sun we had and the phase of evolution we were in at the time, as dark skin protects you from sun burns where light skin absorbs vitamin D better in cloudy places like northern Europe.

Or, if you're a creationist/intelligent designist... you don't believe in the origin of mankind beyond [God: BAM! = humans] so ignore this.
    If H. sapiens emerged in Africa as it appears we did, then we would have evolved from ancestors who were already practically human and presumably would have already adapted to the strong sun of the region. You question assumes that H. sapiens could have started spreading out from Africa before many generations would have already adapted which doesn't make any sense. It seems pretty safe to assume that the first humans had pretty dark skin since that's the environment they evolved in.

Just thinkin 'bout it Dru. I mean, the world was a different place back then. There were ice-ages and everything. I'm sure we did not evolve from black people, I'm pretty sure we evolved from a form of human what looked pretty different from modern man. It is entirely possible that they had dark skin, but just because they still live in Africa I don't assume they looked like today's Africans. If the races have gotten as diverse as they are right now in that time frame, I would assume those of primarily-African origin have changed quite a bit too.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    bongi wrote: »

Detroit: Where the Weak are Killed and Eaten

TankHammer on
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    jeez haven't you seen mission to mars we're martians you guys are stupid

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    bongi wrote: »

put your hands up

put your hands up for Detroit

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    i just heard my supervisor explain to a new coworker of mine that "our database is a little bit spanish."

what this means is that our database starts looking pretty retarded when you actually start using it

also that a whole fucking bunch of entries are in spanish for whatever fucking reason

Faricazy on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    Later he started going on about how black women gave birth to everyone and this sicilian woman pointed at a black chick and went "She's not my mom, my mom's name is FLorence, she's an electrician!"

Dammn.
    Essentially he seems to be correct. The evidence strongly suggests that H. sapiens originated in Africa and emigrated around the world from there.

But did we turn dark before or after said birth? It all has to do with the amount of sun we had and the phase of evolution we were in at the time, as dark skin protects you from sun burns where light skin absorbs vitamin D better in cloudy places like northern Europe.

Or, if you're a creationist/intelligent designist... you don't believe in the origin of mankind beyond [God: BAM! = humans] so ignore this.
    If H. sapiens emerged in Africa as it appears we did, then we would have evolved from ancestors who were already practically human and presumably would have already adapted to the strong sun of the region. You question assumes that H. sapiens could have started spreading out from Africa before many generations would have already adapted which doesn't make any sense. It seems pretty safe to assume that the first humans had pretty dark skin since that's the environment they evolved in.

Just thinkin 'bout it Dru. I mean, the world was a different place back then. There were ice-ages and everything. I'm sure we did not evolve from black people, I'm pretty sure we evolved from a form of human what looked pretty different from modern man. It is entirely possible that they had dark skin, but just because they still live in Africa I don't assume they looked like today's Africans. If the races have gotten as diverse as they are right now in that time frame, I would assume those of primarily-African origin have changed quite a bit too.
    Actually we've changed very little since the dawn of H. sapiens. It's tempting to think we have because we're so visual that we assume a person that has a different skin color or facial features is very different but in fact the genetic differences are known to be rather minute. As far as it being a different world, we know that Africa was still in the same location on the globe during the time that H. sapiens branched off from our ancestor species. Due to the proximity to the equator, it's pretty obvious that they got a similar amount of UV radiation (what the melanin is really protecting against) and so would almost certainly have increased pigmentation of the skin. This is all pretty basic stuff.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    GraydeathGraydeath Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I just got back from eating lunch at Jack in the Box. I was eating my food and then noticed some big fat guy taking off his coat and yelling obscenities at a guy in a semi. Apparently the semi wasn't supposed to pull into the jack in the box parking lot or some such nonsense and so the big dude tries to get him out of his truck to fight and then takes his cellphone out like a little bitch to take pictures of the trucks lisence plate. I laughed. The poor guy in the truck looked like he was about to cry too :P

Graydeath on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    that sucks

one of my dad's best friends has been a trucker for most of his life

i have tremendous respect for what they do

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Dammn.

Actually we've changed very little since the dawn of H. sapiens. It's tempting to think we have because we're so visual that we assume a person that has a different skin color or facial features is very different but in fact the genetic differences are known to be rather minute. As far as it being a different world, we know that Africa was still in the same location on the globe during the time that H. sapiens branched off from our ancestor species. Due to the proximity to the equator, it's pretty obvious that they got a similar amount of UV radiation (what the melanin is really protecting against) and so would almost certainly have increased pigmentation of the skin. This is all pretty basic stuff.

Wow this is a very enlightening conversation Dru. I suppose my normal policy of open-ended thinking was a bit too loose in this instance once the facts were in order. I guess deep down we're all black.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I was at starbucks the other day.

Some rather unsavory looking fellow came in and asked for a glass of ice. They gave it to him, no charge.

He went over to where they had the milk and such, and tried to fill up the glass with milk. They told him he can't do that. Argument ensued. He was screaming obscenities at the lady behind the counter.

Then he drop kicked the milk container across the store.

It was hilarious.

mcp on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    Thanks for paraphrasing me to make light of a strawman of what I actually said.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Thanks for paraphrasing me to make light of a strawman of what I actually said.

I'm making light of it because it was said on the internet. Nothing personal. I actually learned a lot.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    guys we descended from adam and eve god shut up don;t you know anything

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2007
    wait does this mean I can use the N word now?

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    wait does this mean I can use the N word now?

no man you gotta have black skin cause that's what arbitrary line has been established otherwise it's racist

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    all this time i've been using "brotha from another mother"

but now it's worthless

Faricazy on
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    mcp wrote: »
    I was at starbucks the other day.

Some rather unsavory looking fellow came in and asked for a glass of ice. They gave it to him, no charge.

He went over to where they had the milk and such, and tried to fill up the glass with milk. They told him he can't do that. Argument ensued. He was screaming obscenities at the lady behind the counter.

Then he drop kicked the milk container across the store.

It was hilarious.

hobo chuck norris

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    HELLO CHECKIE

OH YES HELLO ARENT YOU CUTE

OH YES I AM SPENDING YOU ON AN IPOD YESSS I AMMM

Faricazy on
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Dammn.

Black != African

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Dammn.

Black != African

Kinda what I was tryin to say.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    if new york was such a great city the towelheads wouldn't have airplaned it

Cosmic Sombrero on
  • Options
    FavlaudFavlaud just straight up awful Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Hello Ian

Favlaud on
  • Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Never did watch "I Love New York", but I did enjoy me some "Flavor of Love."
    Most horrible, worthless show ever...and yet I was entranced by the horror.

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    uh oh

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    whoa now hey now

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    hey now whoa now

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Weaver wrote: »
    whoa now hey now

I wanna say now

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    what the fuck do you think you are doing coming in here and talking to me you goddamn pole

(pee ess if you aren't polish you should be, mr. goulash)

Cosmic Sombrero on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    what the hell is sombrero drunk or something

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    FavlaudFavlaud just straight up awful Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    what the fuck do you think you are doing coming in here and talking to me you goddamn pole

I am nowhere near polish Ian McFgt

have you seen stumbles lately I want to play call of cthulhu but I do not have the book

Favlaud on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I been walkin' downa dis'a road;

tryin'a find mah way;

been a while since I last saw you;

maybe this'a time I'll stay

*blues riff*

Weaver on
  • Options
    AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Man nothing interesting happens on the R train, I mean all I got was last sunday going from GCT to brooklyn there was a couple kids breakdancing in the waiting area that is about it. Even that is pretty much an everyday occurence in the subway, someone always singing or dancing around here.

Aretè on
  • Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    I was on a class trip to NY last weekend, we rode the Subway twice.

1st time there was a hobo, we took pictures.

2nd, Barbershop Quartet out of fucking nowhere.

Oh well that's just a great goddamn top of the page. Fuck you, forum.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Favlaud wrote: »

I am nowhere near polish Ian McFgt

have you seen stumbles lately I want to play call of cthulhu but I do not have the book

Yes you are. Geez.

Stumbles is okay, although I think she's pretty angry with me or something. I'd be up for CoC, also torrent durrrr you dumb pole.
    what the hell is sombrero drunk or something

how the hell do you even know me

Cosmic Sombrero on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

I work on 42nd St you know.

I have to traverse hordes of you tourists to get to my damn train station.

I hate tourists.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007

I work on 42nd St you know.

I have to traverse hordes of you tourists to get to my damn train station.

I hate tourists.
    D:

....sorry?

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I hate New York City. It's cold and it's damp, and all the people dress like monkeys.

WhiteZinfandel on
  • Options
    The NothingThe Nothing Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    BLOW IT OUT OF YOUR MOM

Hahahaha.

Fucking quote of the day.

Also, oreo was mildly amusing.

The Nothing on