As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Sweet, sour, saucy, secret [Indulgences]

• DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    that looks like tasty stuff

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    It is my favourite non-chocolate cake.

(favourite cake is black forest gateaux and oh god now I want that too)

• FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Battenburg?

More like.

BattenTurd.

8-)

• LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    My housemate made a Victoria sponge and she has given me a slice and it is gooooood!

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Fyndir wrote: »
    Battenburg?

More like.

BattenTurd.

8-)

More like...

no

shut up

it's tasty

• I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    i am amazed i don't give into my indulgences more

i am an adult with a job i can go buy cheesecake whenever i want

and yet i don't

lfYVHTd.png
    Oh my god

recipe-image-legacy-id--1176606_12.jpg

Why have I never thought of this before??

• GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    BAKERY WITCHCRAFT

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

how the hell did they do that?

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I can think of at least two ways.

edited October 2014
    I'm assuming the pan used for each layer had some sort of dividers put in for when the batter was poured, or something.

I can't see the entire inside of the cake from that photo but I'm guessing the upper layer is red in the middle, then a ring around that of yellow, then a bigger ring around that of red, etc.

Then the dividers could be removed afterwards and the different colors would bake into a single layer.

Then each layer was alternated, thus a checkerboard pattern.

Goatmon on

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    seems pretty easy to me!

two flat, round cakes of each colour cut into three circular rings and nestled into eachother

That sounds much simpler than what I was thinking.

• PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    checkboard-cake.JPG

That's cool. That's not even one of the methods that i thought of. I just was curious how it was done.

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    checkboard-cake.JPG

I don't think I'd make it past step 2.
    It'd just be "I now have cake, do I want to eat cake or make them pretty?". At that point, I'm pretty sure my decision would not include prettifying cakes.

Goatmon wrote: »
    BAKERY WITCHCRAFT

They took something square and made it round.

They dare laugh in the face of god.

• DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    checkboard-cake.JPG

It'd just be "I now have cake, do I want to eat cake or make them pretty?". At that point, I'm pretty sure my decision would not include prettifying cakes.

No, because if you a properly baking cakes, by the time they come out of the oven you are so full from 'cleaning the bowls' you used to mix them that you have no desire to eat cake.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Randy ButternubbsRandy Butternubbs Registered User regular
    Hillbilly mochas (One of those single serve packets of hot chocolate made with coffee instead of hot water)
    The way and the light.

Decomposey wrote: »
    checkboard-cake.JPG

No, because if you a properly baking cakes, by the time they come out of the oven you are so full from 'cleaning the bowls' you used to mix them that you have no desire to eat cake.

You assume there is ever not room for cake.

You are gravely mistaken.

• El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    checkboard-cake.JPG

I am currently operating under the assumption that "I am too full for <awesome thing>" is just code for "I will not allow myself to eat this through sheer force of will because I don't think it's good for me to do so"

My wife keeps telling me she can't eat any more because the food is "too rich", and I am still trying to piece together what that could possibly mean. Because all I hear is "This food is too good, so I need to stop eating it", which is the opposite of everything I stand for in this life.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    checkboard-cake.JPG

Yeah, if there's ever a time I'm too full for cake, all that means is I need to reevaluate my eating habits to make room for more cake.

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Hillbilly mochas (One of those single serve packets of hot chocolate made with coffee instead of hot water)
    The way and the light.

I'll one up you and toss in two peppermint discs.

So mad when the stupid customers eat all the mints, leaving me with none to make my mint mocha with.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    But at least now their breath smells less like rancid possum, right?

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Looks like Korea just...doubled down

640.jpg

• Professor FuzzlesProfessor Fuzzles Not a furry, just sayin' FuzztopiaRegistered User regular
    I really want to eat, like, an entire battenberg right now.

Sadly/fortunately I'm at work and won't be finished until after the shops shut. If I'm lucky the urge will be gone by tomorrow.

Cut two slices of Battenburg, spread nuttela on one side and put together to make a sandwich.

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
  • I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    I don't like most cakes or cookies and I wish I felt otherwise

lfYVHTd.png
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    I can't stand yellow cake, which is of course what makes up 90% of birthday cakes. eh I guess I don't need the sugar anyway

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Yeah I can't stand it either.

Every single time, everyone is like "just try it, you'll be fine, you'll love it!" and I'm like ugh fine ok and then the next morning without fail I have to deal with the the extra limb growing out of my temple again.

I really want to eat, like, an entire battenberg right now.

Sadly/fortunately I'm at work and won't be finished until after the shops shut. If I'm lucky the urge will be gone by tomorrow.

Cut two slices of Battenburg, spread nuttela on one side and put together to make a sandwich.

I'm actually not really a fan of Nutella. I used to like it but I find it sickly these days.

Also it's battenberg not battenburg, you philistines.

• JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    I ate too many Reese's Pieces yesterday! But they are so good.

• LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Good old Liz, wandering about the country, opening things, learning to tweet.

edited October 2014
    Liiya wrote: »
    Good old Liz, wandering about the country, opening things, learning to tweet.

"Ma'am, you may only use one hundred and forty characters in this message."

"We will make use of as many characters as We deem necessary."

"Yes, Ma'am, unfortunately this Twitter will not allow you to-"

"Not allow? Is this not Our Kingdom? Who dares to gainsay Our Royal Prerogative to communicate with Our subjects as We wish? BANISH THEM!"

"..."

"..."

"...Yes Ma'am..."

He leaves the room and shakes his head sadly at the Royal Steward, who nods sympathetically and sends him to The Tower for punishment, then gestures at the next hapless servant. The camera pans around and reveals a lengthy line of hundreds waiting for their turn to try and talk Her Majesty into accepting this limitation, as it continues panning we see a desolate queue of weeping ex-servants awaiting their punishment, the line stretching from the Tower all the way back to the gates of the Palace.

Fyndir on
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    At the office it became kind of tradition to bring cake on your birthday. That started when we were about 35 people. We are now closing on 90. While not everybody brings something, we have cake at least once a week and when there is some its mostly not one but often 2, 3 or 4 different cakes. In addition to that one of the teams I’m part of comes together for homemade cake every thursday. This week it was a strawberry, cream, almond buiscuit layer cake.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    The sun never sets on the Queens tweets

• PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    The sun never sets on the Queens tweets

Read that very wrong.

oh no

Oh no!

DECEPTION AND CONSPIRACY?!?

:cry:

Edit: and what a COINCIDENCE that my internet died as I tried to post this, eh? YOU CAN'T SILENCE ME, YOUR MAJESTY.

This discussion has been closed.