As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

They did the thing in finale of [The Legend of Korra]!

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    I actually prefer the way they did it

The ending shot was perfect

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Anyways, I'm not super upset about the stuff in the spoilers, given how many great and interesting new characters they added
    but I'm a little sad that we never got more of what happened to Sokka or what his impact was on the rest of the world, given his work inventing shit in the original series and the more technological bent Korra took compared to the original series

Like, we got significant moments with Katara, Aang, Zuko and Toph (and with their families), and nothing from Sokka. Like, I'm not too upset, because they didn't really need to add more characters with explicit ties to the old gang. Same with Suki, really, who had nothing.

• Options
    -Tal wrote: »
    That's rough, buddy.

don't pity mako

I wasn't planning on it

• Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Man of the Waves on
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    and then they

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    Alternate Ending:
    NxWpPdx.jpg

• Options
    that's a five meg gif, duder

• Options
    that's a five meg gif, duder

Now it's a link.

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Turambar wrote: »
    and then they

Thats what those chinese characters said

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I think Sokka's contribution was getting Sato off the ground. Like sure, the dude ended up being racist as hell, but Future Industries (or whatever the company was called) brought a lot of good tech into the world.

sig.gif
  • Options
    hey so ending spoilers in this link, someone posted it in the D&D thread:

a look at the staging of the last five minutes of the episode and what it implies

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    -Tal wrote: »
    That's rough, buddy.

don't pity mako

He might have been pitying Lin.
    Lin X Bitter loneliness OTP.

Nah, she reconciled with her extended family. She's just that cool aunt who never marries.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    The last shot of Lin is her alone giving a forlorn look to a shish kebab

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    hey so ending spoilers in this link, someone posted it in the D&D thread:

a look at the staging of the last five minutes of the episode and what it implies
    One other thing about that final scene that that post sort of glosses over is the fact that they focused in on them holding hands. If that was just a friendly thing, it wouldn't be nearly as important and could have been done in a wider shot. By zooming in so that that action was the focus of the shot, it implied that there was a deeper significance to it.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Anyways, I'm not super upset about the stuff in the spoilers, given how many great and interesting new characters they added
    but I'm a little sad that we never got more of what happened to Sokka or what his impact was on the rest of the world, given his work inventing shit in the original series and the more technological bent Korra took compared to the original series

Like, we got significant moments with Katara, Aang, Zuko and Toph (and with their families), and nothing from Sokka. Like, I'm not too upset, because they didn't really need to add more characters with explicit ties to the old gang. Same with Suki, really, who had nothing.

That's actually still one of my biggest complaints with the series.
    they could have at least had somebody from the old series talk about him for a bit. I think the most we got was someone, I think Katara, saying he helped save Korra from the Red Lotus when she was a toddler, and Bumi saying something like "uncle Sokka would have laughed" in one of the season 2 episodes.

The fact that not only is he never talked about, but that he ended up being the only member of the old gang (other than Aang because duh) that wasn't still alive really rubs me the wrong way.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Chris Hardwick voiced adult Sokka which makes me even sadder that we didn't see a little more of him in flashback.

I honestly would not mind at all if someone capable wanted to fill in the gaps between the series so long as they didn't take a Star Wars prequels approach and make everything tied together so tightly.

• Options
    They've got comics filling in gaps in between the series already

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Concerning the above:
    He gets a little flashback cameo in season 1 at least, and hey, it's more than Suki got I suppose.
    I can't say it actually bothers me that much though; none of the old characters get to do all that much beyond dominating a scene or two (and for good reason!) Personally I'd have preferred if we got less of the old characters returning than we did, but I think what we did get works just fine on both a story and fan-service level.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    EPILOGUE: 19 MONTHS LATER

Azula Jr.’s voice drifted back to Korra over the surrounding clamor; her daughters had resumed the argument they had started in the Satomobile.

“I won’t! I won’t be in Firebending House!”

"Parked all right, then?" Bolin asked Korra. "I did. Opal didn’t believe I could pass a non-bender driving test, did you? She thought I’d have to bloodbend the examiner."

“No, I didn’t,” said Opal, “I had complete faith in you.”

“As a matter of fact, I did bloodbend him,” Bolin whispered to Korra, as together they lifted Azula Jr.’s trunk and owl onto the train. “I only forgot to look in the wing mirror, and let’s face it, I can use a waterbending ice for that.”

"If you’re not in Airbending House, we’ll disinherit you," said Bolin, "but no pressure."

“Bolin!”

Katara Jr and Zukina laughed, but Azula Jr. and Lil' Lin Jr. looked solemn.

“He doesn’t mean it,” said Opal and Asami, but Bolin was no longer paying attention.

Kuvira was standing there with her wife and son, a dark coat buttoned up to his throat. Her hair was receding somewhat, which emphasized the pointed chin. The new boy resembled Kuvira as much as Azula Jr. resembled Korra. Kuvira caught sight of Korra, Bolin, Opal, and Asami staring at him, nodded curtly, and turned away again.

"So that’s little The Boulder," said Bolin under his breath.

"Make sure you beat him in every test, Lil' Lin Jr. Thank God you inherited your mother’s brains."

“Bolin, for heaven’s sake,” said Opal, half stern, half amused. “Don’t try to turn them against each other before they’ve even started school!”

“You’re right, sorry,” said Bolin, but unable to help himself, he added, “Don’t get too friendly with him, though, Lil Lin Jr. Grandma Yin would never forgive you if you married a firebender.”

“Our Tenzin Jr! Snogging our Suki Jr! Our cousin! And I asked Tenzin Jr what he was doing—”

“You interrupted them?” said Asami. “You are so like Bolin—”

“—and he said he’d come to see her off! And then he told me to go away. He’s snogging her!” Aang Jr added as though worried he had not made himself clear.

"Don’t forget to give Professor Bumi our love!" Asami told Aang Jr as she hugged him.

“Mum! I can’t give a professor love!”

“But you know Professor Bumi—”

Aang Jr rolled his eyes.

“Outside, yeah, but at school he’s Admiral Bumi, isn’t he?”

"Bye, Az," said Korra as her son hugged her. "Don’t forget Katara’s invited you to tea next Friday. Don’t mess with Melo. Don’t Ag Ni Kai anyone till you’ve learned how. And don’t let Aang Jr wind you up."

"Azula Jr. Tenzin," Korra said quietly…."

"…you were named for two previous Avatars. One of them was a Firebending House and he was probably the bravest man I ever knew."

“But just say—”

“—then Firebending House will have gained an excellent student, won’t it? It doesn’t matter to us, Al. But if it matters to you, you’ll be able to choose Airbending House over Firebending House. The Sorting Hat takes your choice into account.”

“Really?”

“It did for me,” said Korra.

She had never told any of his children that before, and she saw the wonder in Azula Jr.’s face when she said it.

"Why are they all staring?” demanded Azula Jr. as he and Rose craned around to look at the other students.

“Don’t let it worry you,” said Bolin. “It’s me. I’m extremely famous.”

The last trace of steam evaporated in the autumn air. The train rounded a corner. Korra’s hand was still raised in farewell.

The mercury poisoning had not pained Korra for nineteen years. All was well.

THE END

Brolo on
  • Options
    bolin's not a waterbender who adapted this trash

• Options
    just riddled with inaccuracies

• Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Cade on
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Geeze guys can't
    two people just be like best friends and enjoy each other's company without them having to be an item?

Bro

I think people are assuming I'm actually judging. I really just wanted an excuse to point out the second thing I spoilered

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    i just got caught up, hadn't seen any eps since the clip show

First off the clip show was amazing and Varrick is great

second off I liked the finale, definitely the strongest finisher that the series has had. I've got a few minor quibbles with this season but it definitely felt the most well-realized of the four

it's painfully obvious they want korrasami to be a thing and know they aren't/wouldn't be allowed so they're just pushing it as far as they can get away with while maintaining plausible deniability

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    I hope this will have an impact on other animated shows. Marvel might not be able to show same sex relationships because of Disney. But DC shows already had Harley and Ivy, Maggie Sawyer, and Richie Foley. Maybe if they made another show, they'd actually be willing to show characters in a same sex relationship.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    DC doesn't make shows. Warner Bros. makes DC shows.

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    I hope this will have an impact on other animated shows. Marvel might not be able to show same sex relationships because of Disney. But DC shows already had Harley and Ivy, Maggie Sawyer, and Richie Foley. Maybe if they made another show, they'd actually be willing to show characters in a same sex relationship.

One of the Disney Channel sitcoms had an episode last year about a toddler having a playdate with a friend who had two moms. I only saw clips, but the main parents and the friend's parents interacting seemed to be a big part of the episode

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    So...
    They have officially confirmed that Asami and Korra are romantically involved.

Also, there's going to be Korra comics down the road.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Dude, you've got to link to a source for that stuff!

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    DC doesn't make shows. Warner Bros. makes DC shows.

The point is that WB/DC has let a lot of stuff slide in their animated shows in the past compared to everyone else. Maybe Korra will have a big enough effect that if WB/DC made a new animated show like Batman: TAS/Young Justice/Green Lantern, they'll allow more than ambiguous hints and winks at the audience.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    That

Was a pretty good ending

Gonna digest it a bit and post more detailed thoughts after some dinner

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    One thing I will say, though, is that the finale was really, genuinely great at highlighting the way Korra's arc was completely different from Aang's
    particularly with their familiarity with suffering as the series kick off
    and how it differently informed them as people, as fighters, as ambassadors, and as avatars

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    So...

I'm pretty sure what you're referencing isn't a real thing, given that it's from a "bryke" account on some fan podcast's tumblr that has no avatar and spells asami as "assami"

• Options
    agoaj wrote: »
    Turambar wrote: »
    and then they

Thats what those chinese characters said

Our final moment with the show was literally @SilverWind yelling "I CAN'T READ THAT"

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    I just marathoned all of season 4 again with my brother who hadn't seen any of it.
    It still holds up in one huge chunk, perhaps better even; the 'lull' episodes fit in well, and their clip-show is slotted in perfectly before everything ramps up insanely in the second half.

Also had good fun shouting out whenever siblings, sisters or general familial relations did something cool together, which is many times.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    So...

I'm pretty sure what you're referencing isn't a real thing, given that it's from a "bryke" account on some fan podcast's tumblr that has no avatar and spells asami as "assami"
    The internet is a harsh place.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Also the benders in this series being less powerful was leveraged in really great, visually interesting ways in this finale, lord alive

Guerrilla warfare all up in this piece

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    I'm kind of miffed that
    Korra never reconnected with her past lives. I was positive that's what they were doing when Purple Korra and Blue Korra were standing across from each other, making eye contact. It was almost exactly what they did in Season 2 right before they introduced Wan. But then Purple Korra turned into Kuvira and I was disappointed.

• Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    I'm going to assume that it'll be addressed post-story, like finding Zuko's mother in ATLA.

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    I kind of assumed it wouldn't be addressed at all
    Korra being cut off from her previous lives left her kind of stranded so she had to function without their knowledge and power, and couldn't tap into the pure cosmic energy as well as Aang

Once it became clear that she wasn't going to just smash everything in a perpetual avatar state beatdown, I figured they wouldn't touch on her past lives again

They wanted to avoid the feeling of deus ex machina that Aang was blamed for in Book 1

dN0T6ur.png