As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

They did the thing in finale of [The Legend of Korra]!

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    No wonder @Speed Racer likes season 4 the most

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    ahaahhahaa

oh my god

oh my god that's literally a
    metal gear

Welcome to the anime coolguy action show zone.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    From their official FB page
    tumblr_nhho718hjo1qcrqaso1_1280.png

• Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    No wonder Speed Racer likes season 4 the most

huh, personally I would have assumed he would be way into the season 2 finale

Daypigeon on
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular

For the record this now has like 28,000 likes (and a bunch of comments which I'm going to assume are horrible, just on principle).

It remains nice to see the official sources being so open about things.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

For the record this now has like 28,000 likes (and a bunch of comments which I'm going to assume are horrible, just on principle).

It remains nice to see the official sources being so open about things.

Yeah. It's also kind of amazing. Felt like they were going "Well, this is what we can get away with", and then, they go and confirm that Korra and Asami are an item through every official channel.

• Options
    Yah, for all the problems Nick had with, y'know, keeping the show on the air and in budget and whatever, someone certainly seems to be on the ball in this instance. It's awesome.

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Re: the game

on the way to the southern spirit portal:
    that battle against the three mechs while riding Naga was fuckin' rough, man

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    They realized that they don't have to put up with Nick's crap anymore, so now they're taking every opportunity to say "Yup, gay as hell." and not caring one whit.

It's great.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    *Bi as hell.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    The Geek wrote: »

Oof, yeah. The final boss fight ain't much better either.

That game has some really great stuff but also some really rough edges. Though for fifteen bucks I certainly got my money's worth.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    THESPOOKY wrote: »
    Sorce wrote: »
    Anzekay wrote: »
    Light S4 spoilers:
    I feel like Kuvira would've been an even more interesting villain if she was introduced properly (like, her backstory etc) in s3, and then featured a bit more in the fight against the Red Lotus. Then when it comes to S4 the viewers all know who she is and have a more potent response when this character who was clearly a good guy and had a relatable history has this fall and becomes the major antagonist. It would also help with the jarring feeling I got every time a character spoke of Kuvira like they knew her really well and she was so well known but I, the viewer, had little knowledge of her.
    I think this is where both Nick and Bryke messed up in not having longer seasons. Everything had to be at a breakneck pace the entire time, while there definitely could have been more time taken each season for the characters themselves.

Hopefully any future comics will deal with the stuff we didn't see, especially in reference to Book 4.

I don't think the creators had total control over the length of the seasons after a point, from what I've heard

They had to do a clip show in 4 because the funding just wasn't there

Nickelodeon cut a chunk of their season 4 funding mid season.

Their choices were either have a clip episode or fire/cut peoples' pay. They chose the former.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    seriously you'd think nintendo had enough money from that mario kart dlc to pay for one more episode

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    seriously you'd think nintendo had enough money from that mario kart dlc to pay for one more episode

Whooops. This is what I get for posting when tired.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    I don't know what the creators plan to do next but I hope they go somewhere like Williams Street. It'd be great to see what they can do with a producer that reliably backs them.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Disney is scooping up talent left and right and have a network for shows like avatar.

If Nickelodeon was smart theyd move the show to teen Nick and have them start on the next avatar

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Assuming they did decide to go to the well again, I doubt we'd be seeing anything Avatar-related for at least 5 years or so. They need to catch up on their sleep and de-stress first; maybe even see their families again since they have the time.

sig.gif
  • Options
    I still want to know if Nick holds the rights to the Avatar universe itself or just the current shows/characters. If it's the latter then I wouldn't be surprised if they did eventually go back to it but with just a different company.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Bryan Konietzko made it sound like he and Mike aren't going to be working on anything with Nickelodeon like, ever again. Which is kind of an understandable stance, seeing how the production of Korra went.

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    With the way Disney has been handling Gravity Falls I'm not sure I would feel comfortable with Mike and Brian moving from Nick to Disney.

Long hiatuses, random changes in airing schedule, inconsistent advertising and even switching channels between episodes aren't any better than what Korra and Avatar had to deal with.

• Options
    Places like Netflix and Amazon might be good fits, considering how Korra was mostly a digital show by the end

• Options
    TankHammer wrote: »
    With the way Disney has been handling Gravity Falls I'm not sure I would feel comfortable with Mike and Brian moving from Nick to Disney.

Long hiatuses, random changes in airing schedule, inconsistent advertising and even switching channels between episodes aren't any better than what Korra and Avatar had to deal with.
    Well before GF Disney didnt have many continuity driven shows . Since the move to X D ot hasnt been as bad

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Quid wrote: »
    The Geek wrote: »

Oof, yeah. The final boss fight ain't much better either.

That game has some really great stuff but also some really rough edges. Though for fifteen bucks I certainly got my money's worth.

I really liked the little voice parts they have for Korra in various parts of he gameplay. Like at the beginning when you're smashing pots on Airbender Island, she says stuff like "Tenzin's gonna be so mad" or "aww, I think that was Pema's favorite"

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Bryan Konietzko made it sound like he and Mike aren't going to be working on anything with Nickelodeon like, ever again. Which is kind of an understandable stance, seeing how the production of Korra went.

Well, they stuck with Nickelodeon after the live action Last Airbender movie.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

I'm sure Nickelodeon wasn't any happier than they were with that film.

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Imagine if Disney acquired the Avatar-verse, though.

Disney Infinity Korra.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular

But it was still Nickelodeon's fault. They put more faith in Shyamalan than the creators of the franchise. Bryke actually tried to get involved in the production of the film, Shyamalan ignored all the notes they sent him, and no one at Nickelodeon listened to them.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Imagine if Disney acquired the Avatar-verse, though.

Disney Infinity Korra.

While that might be cool.

I'd really rather Disney not own even more stuff.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options

But it was still Nickelodeon's fault. They put more faith in Shyamalan than the creators of the franchise. Bryke actually tried to get involved in the production of the film, Shyamalan ignored all the notes they sent him, and no one at Nickelodeon listened to them.

Nobody wanted the film rights. Shyalmalan approached Nickelodeon. He bought them because he wanted a franchise to repair his name after all the flops. Nick is usually more protective of their IPs but they thought it would give korra a boost.

• Options
    Hmm, y'know, thinking about it I kinda get the feeling that seasons 3 and 4 are sort of written to 're-do' the first two seasons with the advantage of hindsight.
    Like, we know at first they only thought they were getting one season, and the production schedule for season 2 was pretty screwed up all round.

I mean, if the writers knew they were getting more than the first season they probably wouldn't have rushed so much to wrap everything up so neatly, and who knows what season 2 might have looks like with some more polish.
    Mostly I was just thinking that seasons 1 and 3 end in a fairly similar spot; with Korra at an absolute low, but whilst season 1 has to fix that quickly season 3 has the advantage of knowing a fresh season in on the way and so can let things linger and resolve them more naturally. I dunno, I haven't thought this theory through very far, it's just the feeling I get whilst watching, there are definitely some parallels I think.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I think they wanted to introduce Kuvira as early as them first arriving at Zaofu but for some reason they cut it out until real late in season 3. I think one problem with the show ultimately was too many characters and not enough time for them all.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    I don't think it's necessarily too many characters; more just a general lack of time, there are a few narrative elements which are rushed to a conclusion (or occasionally just quietly abandoned) so that other more important things can happen.

That said I actually thought, bearing the time issues in mind, that the character stuff was pretty solid throughout. I mean, I can't think of any major players who were really left out of the plot by the end of it. The focus shifts about, and some characters sink or rise in prominence because of it, but I wouldn't necessarily consider that a bad thing on the face of it.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    that's why I said too many and not enough time for them all, not just too many.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    829tj0X.jpg

YbRKFJ0.jpg

Brolo on
  • Options
    Well...I think the real difference between this and Avatar was that they went with four separate season long arcs that were only loosely related, where the Last Airbender had one major arc with a number of subplots feeding into it. I mean, Season 2 and 3 of TLA had more defined season long storylines, but they all fit under that "we have to get Aang trained so he can fight the Firelord" umbrella. I don't think that the more independent seasons of Korra were a bad idea, but they were also more condensed than the Last Airbender had to be, in telling this larger story over three 20+ episode seasons. Korra was fitting a whole arc into thirteen episodes at a time, and there wasn't a ton of time to let things breathe, and some characters got shuffled off to the side that maybe could have been more important.

There just wasn't as much time to focus on the side characters as there was in the Last Airbender, and the way they planned out their seasons made it very easy to just write characters out of the narrative. I can't really say that they added too many characters, though, because I think Lin and Opal were really great additions to the cast, and they didn't really show up until halfway through season 3

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    It does mean that people like Kai who seemed cool got basically one episode of screen time tho

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Zombie Amon for best character

• Options
    It does mean that people like Kai who seemed cool got basically one episode of screen time tho

Well, to be honest, I feel like Kai's arc was mostly complete and there wasn't a very natural place for him to fit in the narrative for this past season, given the Earth Kingdom focus. He's from there, but he doesn't have the personal connections to Kuvira and other members of the cast that Suyin and Opal do. They could have found something for him to do, yeah, but...I don't really think I'd take much of anything out of the season we got to give him more screen time.

• Options
    Yeah, that's basically my line of thinking. Like, out of the cast (large as it is) I'm not sure I would change anyones screen time or focus even given the opportunity (with the exception of some of the season 2 stuff, which is a bit of a mess).
    But all the important characters get some nicely written development, and the side characters get enough presence to impart a good sense of their personalities and motivations, finish off what little arcs they have and then hang out in the background; they're important still, but their no longer the focus.
    I think the character stuff throughout works really well actually.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I'm sad we're not still talking about this show here

here's a good round-table talk about the show with some dudes and a production manager on the show

warning: it is very long

http://youtu.be/65fD-oMAUL0