As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Post Grad Advice Needed

SleepyOwlSleepyOwl Perth Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
edited September 2014 in Help / Advice Forum
I've just managed to get a job doing 35 hours a week in my field of study. I'm currently doing my masters in marketing (in Australia )and I'm in what would have been my final semester. We are 5 weeks into the semester and since I was offered the job on Monday I've dropped two of my unit's so technically not my final semester anymore. I would have preferred a part time position but all the pt retail jobs kept on rejecting me. Tony is doing his best to do over university students on CentreLink. So I felt like I had no choice but to take this job.

Is it possible for me to have a social life? As I was thinking of joining my unis Kendo club. Also I keep on putting myself down about letting go of those two units though it was done to avoid me having a "nervous breakdown/not fail all of my units" from the stress involved.
Any tips or advice would be great.

SleepyOwl on

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    SleepyOwl wrote: »
    I've just managed to get a job doing 35 hours a week in my field of study. I'm currently doing my masters in marketing (in Australia )and I'm in what would have been my final semester. We are 5 weeks into the semester and since I was offered the job on Monday I've dropped two of my unit's so technically not my final semester anymore. I would have preferred a part time position but all the pt retail jobs kept on rejecting me. Tony is doing his best to do over university students on CentreLink. So I felt like I had no choice but to take this job.

Is it possible for me to have a social life? As I was thinking of joining my unis Kendo club. Also I keep on putting myself down about letting go of those two units though it was done to avoid me having a "nervous breakdown/not fail all of my units" from the stress involved.

Eh, you should be fine. I worked 23+ hours consistently throughout undergrad (I know, not the same as masters), and still had plenty of time. On a similar note, a friend did a PhD in biochem which boiled down to working 10-12 hours a day 6 days a week. The key is planning. Make sure you plan your time out appropriately and make plenty of shortcuts around things like food to prevent needless time shopping/making food (I recommend making big batches). Your life will probably suck a bit for a while, but there's an end point for you, which should make it easier.
    Also, don't put yourself down about stuff. Once you graduate and work in the real world, most of the stuff in school just fades out in terms of importance. It's not like people will ask if you took a specific class, it will usually be "do you know this? No? OK, we'll pair you with this guy so you can get up to speed."

• Options
    SleepyOwlSleepyOwl Perth Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    I know I'm just freaking out a little bit sorry.

SleepyOwl on
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    SleepyOwl wrote: »
    I know I'm just freaking out a little bit sorry.

It's ok. Better to freak out and laugh about how much you overplanned later than not freak out and be up shit creek.