As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

electrical

bonsofrybonsofry Registered User new member
how can I test the wires in the attic to know what breaker they are on?

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Plug something into them. Shut off a breaker, check if something is still running. If yes, not that breaker. If no then it's that breaker.

Without having prints for your home or labels in the breaker box (usually inside the door) it's pretty much trial and error.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    I know what breakers cover what outlets. I need to know when the wire leaves the breaker box goes up into the attic and they run all round covering all the outlets, what wires go to what breakers?

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-Voltage-Detector-2200-20/203168523

But yeah, it's all trial and error.

Also, these things work by detecting the currant in the wires. So you don't need to plug into anything, and can see if a junction box or w/e is hot. Some stud finders have these built into them as well, so you might already have one, but they are only $10-$20.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    There isn't really an easy way to test that kind of stuff without tearing down walls and tracing them.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    thanks

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Yea, unless you've ripped all the walls out you basically don't. I suppose if you had a Fluke meter that can read the current through a wire just by being around the wire you could put heavy draws on an outlet and see which one is pulling but that involve equipment that may cost OMFG amounts of money.

These. And apparently like a $100 bucks. Though somebody should double check me on that working before you run off and buy one.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Well the voltage detector can work too, there's no guarantee that wire isn't controlled by a switch or something.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    .......and that's a very good point.