As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super Smash Bros. - Vote on Tournament Times!

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I'm totally in this tournament, when does Smash unlock in the eShop?

• Options
    Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular

Friday at midnight, although I'm not sure in what time zone.

Discord: TimIsOnTheInternet#0056
    Steam: TimIsOnSteam
    Battle.net: TimIsOnBnet#1745
    Switch: SW-7012-4788-7410
    PSN: TimIsOnTheNet
  • Options
    ConnConn Registered User regular
    I have signed up for the tournament as well. I haven't played Smash in at least 4 years, so I hope the few hours between work and the tourney starting are enough time to catch up.

Will the game have built-in tournament functionality, or will we need to add each other's codes and arrange private matches?

XBL, PSN, and NNID: "ConnConnor" for all three.
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod

It unlocked at midnight eastern, but if Pokemon X/Y are any sign of what's to come, then you can add another 1-4 hours on to that wait time.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Conn wrote: »
    I have signed up for the tournament as well. I haven't played Smash in at least 4 years, so I hope the few hours between work and the tourney starting are enough time to catch up.

Will the game have built-in tournament functionality, or will we need to add each other's codes and arrange private matches?

Private matches I think, at least for 3DS.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    So turns out im taking Friday off, so i should have plenty of time to get my copy and hopefully unlock who i'd like to play! also hope it doesn't take a TON of time, since i'd like to get some decent sleep before the PM shit im dealing with saturday

PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular

It unlocked at midnight eastern, but if Pokemon X/Y are any sign of what's to come, then you can add another 1-4 hours on to that wait time.

I'm usually up until like 3 or 4 am EST anyway. I'll probably start the download and get some sleep and then play it up until the tournament. Not sure who I'll main yet.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I'm hoping I can make it for the tourney. I'll probably get trounced! If I don't show up, just uh, disqualify me or whatever.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    I updated the FAQ with info on how to unlock characters. There's a lot of conflicting sources out there, so feel free to offer any corrections.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    For some reason there's just something particularly awesome about using a warp star to break the smash ball and then doing your final smash immediately out of it.

• Options
    XerinkXerink Registered User regular
    I've been lurking in the thread for a while now, but figured I'd chime in say I'm excited for the release day tournament. I've added myself to the tourney list, but I haven't played anything close to serious Smash since early college when Melee was still new. Luckily my "main" is available right away, so I should get some time to practice before the matches start.

PSN: darkhart0
    3DS FC: 2234-7230-2712
    Battle.net: Kriese#1709
  • Options
    I think this is the most efficient way to unlock characters:
    1. Beat Classic without Bowser (if difficulty ≥ 7), Fire Emblem, Legend of Zelda characters, or customizations (Unlocks Falco)
    2. Same as above, but three more times (Unlocks Ness, Dr. Mario, and Dark Pit)
    3. You've now beaten Classic four times. Completion #5 should be with customizations (unlocks Jigglypuff)
    4. Completion #6 should be with Bowser on a difficulty ≥ 7 (unlocks Bowser Jr.)
    5. Completion #7 should be with a Fire Emblem character (unlocks Lucina)
    6. Beat Classic again without a Legend of Zelda character (unlocks Duck Hunt Duo)
    7. Now do it with a Legend of Zelda Character (unlocks Ganondorf)
    8. Clear Classic for the tenth and final time with any character. (unlocks Mr. Game & Watch)

At this point you just have two characters left: Wario (clear 100 Man Melee) and ROB (clear Classic with trophies ≥ 200). I dunno how fast you accumulate trophies, but I doubt you will have 200 before beating Classic ten times.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Damn. 200 trophies? Maybe poor ROB will have to sit the first tournament out.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    1. Beat Classic without Bowser (if difficulty ≥ 7), Fire Emblem, Legend of Zelda characters, or customizations (Unlocks Falco)
    3. You've now beaten Classic four times. Completion #5 should be with customizations (unlocks Jigglypuff)
    6. Beat Classic again without a Legend of Zelda character (unlocks Duck Hunt Duo)
    8. Clear Classic for the tenth and final time with any character. (unlocks Mr. Game & Watch)

At this point you just have two characters left: Wario (clear 100 Man Melee) and ROB (clear Classic with trophies ≥ 200). I dunno how fast you accumulate trophies, but I doubt you will have 200 before beating Classic ten times.

I might have just emailed this to myself so I can access it when I'm with the family this weekend. This list is boss!

• Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    anyone happen to know if the special modes are back? huge/lightning/etc?

guessing it would be under smash/rules - if it's like brawl and those matches count the fastest way to unlock is gonna be making some autokill scenarios and mashing start

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    It's worth noting that I can't even find like two sources that agree on anything besides the number of Smash matches. So that is the best way to unlock shit if you want no unpleasant surprises.

The only advice I can give besides that is probably keep the Intensity at 7+ because a few sources have that for several characters. I mean, I have two sources saying Dark Pit unlocks at four Classic clears and another saying three.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Emperor_ZEmperor_Z Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Can the 3DS download while closed? It'll be going to bed, then work, in the hours surrounding the launch, so I'm wondering how best to download the game while I'm away.

Emperor_Z on
  • Options
    Yeah, the 3DS can download in sleep mode.

• Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular

Didn't people just make 1 stock matches and constantly run off the stage? Isn't that easier?

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    That entirely depends on your definition of easier. It might be quicker, but it's boring as fuck and would take around an hour if each match took only 30 seconds (including intros and outros).

I think most people would rather just enjoy the game and unlock other things like trophies, custom moves, Mii costume pieces, and so forth while also filling out the roster.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    That entirely depends on your definition of easier. It might be quicker, but it's boring as fuck and would take around an hour if each match took only 30 seconds (including intros and outros).

I think most people would rather just enjoy the game and unlock other things like trophies, custom moves, Mii costume pieces, and so forth while also filling out the roster.

Costume pieces are going to be the death of me.

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Edit- Everything I posted was already said . Apologies.

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Disregard

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Hmm 9PM EST is interesting. I could theoretically sit at work and play Smash until the tournament is over. How long do we expect the whole thing to take? (I also fully expect to lose in the first or second round I play in because I'm not competitive at all really)

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    I have nearly 32 people signed up. That is five series of matches, which is about 90 minutes if we assume every match takes over half the allotted time and goes to three games.

To be safe, I'd set aside 2-3 hours.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    6pm puts it out of reach for meh, have fun though folks!

• Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Not being in the first tourney has me super hyped for the follow up one.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    Today: Space!

zlCfzSf4efAVzCPMS9
    Pic of the day. This is the Orbital Gate stage. This is a Wii U version-exclusive stage reenacting Team Star Fox's defense of the Orbital Gate from an Aparoid missile attack.

zlCfzSf4en8yZqV8K6
    Missiles are launched towards the Orbital Gate! The force field shields the machinery for a while, and the missiles eventually get shot down by team Star Fox. Overall, this stage feels like a ride. It's pretty hectic, so hold on tight!

zlCfzSf4esknLZwJxi
    Missiles are launched towards the Orbital Gate! The force field shields the machinery for a while, and the missiles eventually get shot down by team Star Fox. Overall, this stage feels like a ride. It's pretty hectic, so hold on tight!

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Yay, my copy has shipped!

Thank you, David Hasselhoff, for giving me the chance to get this game a day earlier than the rest of the world.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Man. I can't wait to be demolished online in the new Smash. I'm terrible with the DS controls and haven't really practiced too much with the demo because I didn't want to burn too much before the real game came out, so I bet I'm going to suck, but still.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    Niceguyeddie616Niceguyeddie616 All you feed me is PUFFINS! I need NOURISHMENT!Registered User regular
    I'm in for the tourney. Haven't really played since Brawl, getting dominated in this is gonna be soooooo much fun!

• Options
    Chrono PaladinChrono Paladin Registered User regular
    Aw man, 9 pm EST? Gonna hit right smack dab in the middle of my shift
    I guess I'll get my chance...another day...

• Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    I would have joined in the tournament, but I'll be at work at that time.

• Options
    McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    I'm debating buying this on launch day. I kinda want to get it on the tourney where a lot of people are as unpracticed as me.

• Options
    Emperor_ZEmperor_Z Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Drascin wrote: »
    Man. I can't wait to be demolished online in the new Smash. I'm terrible with the DS controls and haven't really practiced too much with the demo because I didn't want to burn too much before the real game came out, so I bet I'm going to suck, but still.
    Exact same boat here. I'm thinking this tourney's going to be 90% out-of-practice scrubs and like one or two guys who know what they're doing (my money's on the Megaman enthusiasts)

Emperor_Z on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I want a next gen starfox...

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    So tournament is Friday at 9pm EST? I am eshopping this ASAP. Is it ok if I am horrible at fighting games?!

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
      starfox...[/quote]

Thats been confirmed since E3

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    • Options
      NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
      hopefully said new starfox will stick to flying, and maybe tanks/submarines and ditch the horrible on foot levels

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    • Options
      Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
      Ok, I have Smash pre-ordered. Hopefully I can pick it up a day early like they let me do with MK8. Cannot wait!

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
      Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
      PSN - Brainiac_8
      Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
      Add me!
    This discussion has been closed.