As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super Smash Bros. - Vote on Tournament Times!

• Options
    McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Acheron wrote: »
    I've been a huge fan of smash ever since N64, and I'm really pumped for this one. That being said, I just tried the demo and it somehow feels a bit... off. It seems to be an amazing game, but I am so used to smash on consoles that my hands itch for a gamecube controller. And part of me doesn't want to "spoil" the feel of a new smash by going through it on a tiny screen first. Now I'm thinking I might just wait for the Wii U version. 1-2 months doesn't seem quite as long as it used to! Maybe Nintendo will grab me in by revealing some super sweet cross-console interactions, but if it's just transferring profiles and miis and the like I think I'll pass.

I had the exact same opinion until I actually played the 3DS demo.

My point being that is a very fair opinion to have, especially if the demo doesn't do it for you

McFlynn on
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I'm enjoying it but I am not playing as well as I could on a Gamecube controller

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    The controls definitely aren't perfect but you get used to them, it's still a lot of fun. I'm planning to exhaust this version to the fullest before the Wii U version comes out though because I don't expect I'll ever go back after that.

• Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, absolutely. This isn't going to be the definitive version of Smash, but it is portable Smash and it's still very, very good.

I'm going to put the majority amount of time in on this one, just because I'm most likely to have my 3DS with me most of the time. But on Game Night when all my friends come over, you know we're gonna bust out the Wii U version, no matter how many people brought their 3DSes with them.

• Options
    McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    My 3DS has actually been lacking a pick up and play title. Most of what I own is more along the time lines of sit down and play for 45 minutes. Once I realized that, I was sold on a 3DS version.

• Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    And besides, the final version does have customizable controls.

• Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    I am actually thinking all this time on the 3DS, which I'm handling pretty well, will make the Gamepad more feasible when the WiiU version hits. Same button layout and all.

Buuuuut I'll probably grab a Wii U pro controller anyway

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I never really realized how perfect the gamecube controller is for Smash until playing it on 3DS.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    ChopperDaveChopperDave Registered User regular
    Imperfect wrote: »
    What is even the point of the Crash Bomb? It seems to do a pitiful amount of damage, is easy to shield before it goes off, and you can have it stuck back on you. It seems just awful (like the rest of Mega Man's specials, frankly).

First of all, you shut your filthy mouth, MegaMan's specials are great. You just have to use them in the right ways.

I think the point of Crash Bomb is to distract an opponent while you close in for a close-range attack or throw. When it lands your opponent has to either eat the hit and get flinched, or shield to protect against the blast. Either way it gives you a good opportunity to do some damage.

I find that the best time to use it is when your opponent is in the air, because then it is harder to dodge. It also makes a good alternative long range projectile when metal blade is unavailable.

Also, it sticks to the environment, so there are some tricky things you can do with it. I like to sometimes stick it to the edge of the stage while recovering - makes it tougher for opponents to edge guard me.

3DS code: 3007-8077-4055
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I'm looking forward to the customization controls, because it took quite a bit to adapt to the demo.

Thing is, I've no damn clue what I would change. I foresee a lot of trial and error in finding the perfect mix. I hope they took a nod from Kid Icarus in that regard and made it a whole training section so you can change the buttons and get instant feedback.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    On its own, the Crash Bomb doesn't seem that good. But you've also got the Metal Blade, the jab shots, and the Charge Shot to follow up on it, and the Metal Blade and Charge Shot in particular are pretty bad for shields. Throwing all three out in quick succession is a good way to score some kind of damage.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I am watching someone play For Glory with Bowser, and I think the Era of Bowser is finally upon us.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    I wonder if the other heavyweights got the same boost that Bowser did. I'm hoping DK, Dedede and Charizard aren't just glorified punching bags this time.

post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    What is even the point of the Crash Bomb? It seems to do a pitiful amount of damage, is easy to shield before it goes off, and you can have it stuck back on you. It seems just awful (like the rest of Mega Man's specials, frankly).

First of all, you shut your filthy mouth, MegaMan's specials are great. You just have to use them in the right ways.

Then can you tell me how to use Leaf Shield?

I tried grabbing as suggested but... it didn't do any significant damage and doesn't last very long so you kinda have to just go for it as soon as you pop the shield so it's pretty predictable. More often than not it causes the CPU to die because it prevents them from using their up-b while simultaneously not protecting them from attacks.

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    edited September 2014

Then can you tell me how to use Leaf Shield?

I tried grabbing as suggested but... it didn't do any significant damage and doesn't last very long so you kinda have to just go for it as soon as you pop the shield so it's pretty predictable. More often than not it causes the CPU to die because it prevents them from using their up-b while simultaneously not protecting them from attacks.

So the key thing to remember about Leaf Shield is that it effectively allows you to attack while rolling or dodging. Which is very unique and kind of great.

If you put up Leaf Shield and start rolling across the map, you're basically invincible for three seconds. Makes it really easy to close in for a throw. Hell, you can simply run up to a guy, shield, and throw, and you don't have to worry about him throwing you because the leaves will stop him.

I also like using it as an anti-juggle. If you get knocked up toward the top of the map, activate Leaf Shield and just dodge through any would be jugglers. You'll take no damage and they'll take a few hits from your leaves.

Another thing to keep in mind is that you can still pick up and throw items before and during Leaf Shield. This includes any Metal Blades lodged in the ground.

It's actually a really versatile move. The "shield" aspect is kind of a misnomer, as most of its applications are pretty aggressive / offensive.

ChopperDave on
  • Options
    JishianJishian ◥▶◀◤ Registered User regular
    Can you remap movement to the d pad? Seems unlikely but it'd be nice.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    The problem with Leaf Shield is that it disables every other attack you can do except grab. It doesn't protect you from standard attacks either, so it doesn't really make it easier to grab people. So it's basically just telegraphing to the opponent "hey I'm gonna come in and grab you now, and when I do you're gonna take a few extra percent damage, so look out!" I really don't understand why they made it disable your standard attacks.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    There's apparently a Smash Bros for 3DS tournament going on now on twitch. I just started watching, so dunno on quality of players/casters yet

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    There was a New Jersey tourney a few days ago on Shofu's channel. It was pretty cool to watch.

• Options
    This twitch tourney is fun to watch. Mac looks pretty fucking brutal, but the KO punch is kinda like a Falcon Punch in that you're rarely going to cleanly pull one off.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Mac is fun to see. Those hits look so satisfying.

Jishian on
  • Options
    This is amazing. The Little Mac got stomped by Villager for two games, and now he's suddenly a man possessed, winning the last match with two stocks.

He's evening getting off KO punches!

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    A three-game comeback for the win. He was well over 100% and on a stage where the Villager could constantly harass him from beneath the main platform.

Fucking amazing.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Dedede was never a punching bag, he was good all throughout Brawl.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Found this on Reddit, I thought it was pretty neat. The social order of Smash Bros:

e8QHglx.jpg

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Really, how'd they mislist Robin like that? Disappointing.
    Grima's totally a god.

• Options
    Zek wrote: »
    The problem with Leaf Shield is that it disables every other attack you can do except grab. It doesn't protect you from standard attacks either, so it doesn't really make it easier to grab people. So it's basically just telegraphing to the opponent "hey I'm gonna come in and grab you now, and when I do you're gonna take a few extra percent damage, so look out!" I really don't understand why they made it disable your standard attacks.

This is why I like to have a Metal Blade or other item on the ground or in my hand when I put Leaf Shield up. This gives me something to pick up and throw or drop, so I have more options and become more unpredictable.

You can also just roll back and forth like a human (er, robot) buzzsaw. It doesnt do a ton of damage but it's pretty disorienting, and you can transfer into a throw whenever you want.

One of my favorite things to do is get a Metal Blade in my hands and a Leaf Shield up, then jump above an opponent and use L to drop the Metal Blade on their heads. Between the blade and the leaves they take a good amount of damage and are frozen in place while you footstool or throw (if Leaf Shield is still going) or use an aerial or smash (if it isn't).

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    One of Greninja's taunts does damage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mim8fu74loI

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Someone please tell me that Palutena's pole dance does damage.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Oh I forgot to post this before

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=130692788&postcount=12911
    This is one of the better custom move lists Ive found.

Regarding Megs and his shields it looks like plant Barrier is slightly better for the grab and pummel strategy.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Maz- wrote: »
    Found this on Reddit, I thought it was pretty neat. The social order of Smash Bros:

e8QHglx.jpg
    Isn't DK a king? Pit also qualifies as a knight. He's the commander of Palutena's army.

RockinX on
  • Options
    DK isn't a king, he just lives out in the jungle with his banana horde and oocasionally gets harassed by armies of reptiles, living tiki totems and arctic wildlife. There is also the occasional plumber to deal with.

post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    I also think that Kirby is much more a "Mysterious Primal Entity" than a "Normal Person."

• Options
    Cokomon wrote: »
    DK isn't a king, he just lives out in the jungle with his banana horde and oocasionally gets harassed by armies of reptiles, living tiki totems and arctic wildlife. There is also the occasional plumber to deal with.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Donkey-Kong-Jungle-Beat-GameCube-Japanese-/290840168554?pt=FR_Jeux_Vidéo&hash=item43b76cc86a

Check out Jungle Beat's JP boxart.

• Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    For copyright reasons I'd think they'd want to shy away from donkey kong being a king

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    RockinX wrote: »
    Cokomon wrote: »
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Donkey-Kong-Jungle-Beat-GameCube-Japanese-/290840168554?pt=FR_Jeux_Vidéo&hash=item43b76cc86a

Check out Jungle Beat's JP boxart.

The King of Kings? Is he Jesus? The only thing DK is the king of is swing.

Cokomon on
    post.png
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Oh wow, Link's meteor bombs sound awesome.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    I think I remember Cranky mentioning that DK was a leader or something like that. But think about it, an entire island is shaped like DK's head.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Pit isn't listed as a knight because nobody is listed more than once. Also because Palutena isn't listed as a head of state.

• Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    He is the leader of the bunch...

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
This discussion has been closed.