As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

STEAM, a backlog story.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    why does everyone but me have such terrible taste in computer games

why is this my cross to bear

What do you guys play

on steam? dark souls, kentucky route zero, pac-man CE DX, just off the top of my head

i've played a fair amount of skyrim but the entire time i'm playing it i'm just grumbling that it's almost something i like but it falls just short enough to make me cranky

It's the combat, right? Combat is dumb?

• Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Our long national nightmare is over.

It looks like Pinball Arcade will be getting the Addam's Family table.

Oh shit, someone else plays pinball arcade, high five

I have season 1 and 2 and honestly that's enough for me for a while. I need to actually get good at some of these tables before just buying them all.

sig.gif
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    My account is worth about $3500, but a lot of that is due to humble bundles, like that giant 125 game paradox one...though I think I still have some humble bundle games I haven't redeemed yet.

sig.gif
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Fiiiiraxxiiissss

steam_zps1d51781f.png

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    We have played almost the exact same amount of Civ 5.

Welcome, brother.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    We have played almost the exact same amount of Civ 5.

Welcome, brother.

When Beyond Earth comes out we will become one being and discard our physical form.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular

What do you guys play

on steam? dark souls, kentucky route zero, pac-man CE DX, just off the top of my head

i've played a fair amount of skyrim but the entire time i'm playing it i'm just grumbling that it's almost something i like but it falls just short enough to make me cranky

The combat, the voice acting, the janky animations, the samey dungeons, the way everything had the same sort of flat presentation to it and there's no flair to the world

• Options
    We will become one with Planet.

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    I don't remember this being a problem before. Having to do command prompt stuff to install .Net framework 3.5 to get Ds4tool to install

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options

What do you guys play

The combat, the voice acting, the janky animations, the samey dungeons, the way everything had the same sort of flat presentation to it and there's no flair to the world

It really is like 70% of a good game.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular

What do you guys play

Then you would have probably hated Oblivion.

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    Skyrim improves upon oblivion but still doesn't reach the heights of morrowind

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »

What do you guys play

Lots of Final Fantasy 14.
    Im sad I couldnt get into this game

I really liked it but not being able to play with you guys because you guys were always doing high end content sucked

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Skyrim is experiencing the same thing that Oblivion and a lot of recent Elder Scrolls/Fallout games did

it comes out, (generally) everyone thinks it's amazing

then after a while people notice the flaws

• Options
    LockoutLockout I am still searching Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Skyrim improves upon oblivion but still doesn't reach the heights of morrowind

yeah, Morrowind had some baller lore

they're gradually retconning all the neat shit to make it Standard Western Fantasy Setting

was super annoyed when I found out that not only was Cyrodiil supposed to a jungle, but the Ayleid ruins were specifically supposed to be dark and pseudo-Mesoamerican, something created by fascist elves

at this rate Black Marsh will be like, kinda swampy. maybe

Lockout on
    f24GSaF.jpg
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Skyrim was a lot more solid than Oblivion was, but pushing any Elder Scrolls game to around the max skill/level cap trivializes the game. There are too many ways the scaling falls apart and the player is given a lot of options for what they can do, but few of those have meaningful depth if you decide to pursue them for more than a few hours.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    I also think Skyrim is perhaps a game with too much to do. It's just this endless mountain of quests, and even though there's some real neat writing and ideas buried in there, it is very easy for Skyrim to become "run after quest marker" most of the time.

I would also like a way more spread out version, where the distance between sites is more than 30s of walking. It feels so weird after a while that all these vampires, bandits, werewolves, ancient dragon priests, demons all live within 10s walk of each other.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Skyrim is experiencing the same thing that Oblivion and a lot of recent Elder Scrolls/Fallout games did

it comes out, (generally) everyone thinks it's amazing

then after a while people notice the flaws

I got pretty cranky with it right away.

But it scratches an RPG itch that almost no other games really come close to, so I just go Bow sniper and Stealth and avoid all combat and it becomes playable.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Hi steam backlog thread....

My name is azith28 and I'm a steamaholic.

I once got my account hacked. the person who stole it sent it back with a message of pity about how he couldnt handle adding that sized backlog to his own and begged me to change my password to keep him away from it.

Later, I took out a second morgage on my home for the summer sale.

The last sale they had, I couldnt find anything i didnt have already.....so...i bought copies...because they were so damn cheap....oh god...oh god....help me...

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    if anyone decides they have the patience to modify Skyrim to their liking, I'll plug the STEP guide again

it provides a great base for further making the game suit your tastes, improving performance and squashing bugs. there are plenty of low quality and high quality options with the recommended mods if your PC is budget or beast

after that, you can check out Skyrim GEMS for a catalog of good mods

just as an example, you can remove quest markers, install a mod that changes a lot quest descriptions to include location descriptors (more like Morrowind), lower the run speed to a realistic level, and increase the length of a day. makes the world feel bigger to me, at least

Lockout on
    f24GSaF.jpg
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    My Archer character in Skyrim was a lot of fun.

However by the end of the game she was the Guildmaster of the Thief's guild, Fighter's Guild, Mage's Guild, Dark Brotherhood and having to deal with main story quest NPCs talking down to me got a little old. Especially when I could literally shout them to death.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

However by the end of the game she was the Guildmaster of the Thief's guild, Fighter's Guild, Mage's Guild, Dark Brotherhood and having to deal with main story quest NPCs talking down to me got a little old. Especially when I could literally shout them to death.

Are we not still doing phrasing?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    I need to fix my skyrim install. I'd tried to play it the other day and it's all screwy.

Might have to redo it from scratch which will suck because I have STEP plus another 30 mods or so.

• Options
    that does blow. my return to Skyrim a few weeks ago was STEP + all the things and I fucked something up

if you have the disk space, can't hurt to do a backup of Skyrim and a fresh STEP Core install. takes care of some of the more annoying parts if you have to start over

f24GSaF.jpg
  • Options
    SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

This has always been my number one pet peeve about open world RPGs (aka Bethesda games) from the standpoint of immersion. It makes zero sense for some journeyman in the fighter's guild to be talking down to the guy wearing the bones of all the dragons he's murdered.

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    10 years strong and counter strike is still top 10 played

I respect that

Global Offensive is pretty fun! except for the fact that I suck now

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    I am currently working my way through Kingdoms of Amalur.

Its a really good game for five bucks. Reminds me of Fable.

RT800 on
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    I am currently working my way through Kingdoms of Amalur.

Its a really good game for five bucks. Reminds me of Fable.

A little generic, but I enjoy the weight of the combat. I haven't come back to it in a bit, but the last thing I did was one of the DLCs (with big stone people) and it was fun.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    so that naruto game is out and has a banner and I watched the trailer and it looks insane in the best way

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    I recognize all the flaws in Skyrim, but it's my favourite game anyway. I can't really explain it.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    So are SE people getting the new borderlands? I am torn on getting it now or waiting for the inevitable GOTY edition

• Options
    Also, Morrowind was fantastic when it came out but I find it really hard to go back to. The combat is atrocious. It makes Skyrim's combat look like Bayonetta by comparison.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    How are you finding how much your Steam library is worth? I can't imagine mine is worth more than maybe $300, but it would be nice to see how much I'm spending on games.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Krieghund wrote: »
    How are you finding how much your Steam library is worth? I can't imagine mine is worth more than maybe $300, but it would be nice to see how much I'm spending on games.

http://steamdb.info/calculator/

41% of my library is unplayed. :neutral_face:

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I am currently in a frenzy of Skyrim addiction. Feels good man. God I love mods. Can't imagine ever playing a Bethesda game on console again and not having them.

I keep meaning to go back and play Morrowind properly, I've never got more than a few hours into it. But it feels so old and the combat is so terrible, I don't know if I'll ever have the patience.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    There we go. $431.81. Sale price is $164.06. 37% is unplayed. Though most of that is multiplayer parts of games that I pretty much don't play.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    I keep meaning to go back and play Morrowind properly, I've never got more than a few hours into it. But it feels so old and the combat is so terrible, I don't know if I'll ever have the patience.

before long there'll be Skywind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBGJmOChIh8

and OpenMW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aST2MJd2Tis

to choose from if you want to play Morrowind again

Skywind is a recreation of Morrowind (not just the island, but quests and storyline as well) in Skyrim's engine. they've currently almost finished geography and interiors, mostly working on voice acting now (I think)

OpenMW is a recreation of Morrowind in an open-source engine, so the game is fully moddable. things that were previously hard to overhaul, like combat, will be a lot easier to mess with. apparently some mods of original Morrowind work with minor tweaking

Lockout on
    f24GSaF.jpg
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    mine is $650 but not all of that is me. I only have 3 games unplayed but I'll get to them(it counts absolute power as unplayed but I played tropico 3?), I play all my games. even the worst VNs.

Jars on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    the number of games it thinks I haven't played is bullshit because it's only based on steam's time played, which they didn't even start recording until a few years ago. So all the various half life 2 things I haven't played in years have no time recorded on them even though I've definitely played all of them, for example.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I am pretty good with my backlog. I only have 2 games I haven't played yet (plus 4 that were 'free weekend' games and so don't count).

This discussion has been closed.