As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

STEAM, a backlog story.

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Omg DDV I am so happy about and so insanely jealous of your motivation

So jealous

• Options
    LockoutLockout I am still searching Registered User regular
    apparently Crusader Kings II will be free to play on Steam this weekend

I've been thinking about getting into this and EU IV for a while now since I really like the aspect of totally altering history, but the learning curve seems steep as hell

f24GSaF.jpg
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    replace "steep as hell" with "brick wall"

but the best way to learn is to just dive in headfirst and poke different things in the game system for awhile, then come out and do some googling

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Lockout wrote: »

I've been thinking about getting into this and EU IV for a while now since I really like the aspect of totally altering history, but the learning curve seems steep as hell

This LP taught me how to play the game. The interfaces may seem difficult at first, but learning how to play the game is very rewarding.

• Options
    I look forward to bashing my head against that wall this weekend then!

I appreciate the link, lets me prepare some

f24GSaF.jpg
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Maybe I should go to war with Carthage?

Syracuse I have a trade agreement with. I dunno if I should fight them... It would be nice to control magna gracia

• Options
    Carthaginem esse delendam

• Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    CARTHAGE MUST BE DESTROYED

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Captain K wrote: »
    CARTHAGE MUST BE DESTROYED

fuckin' pleb

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I'm going to need a bigger Navy

• Options
    And bigger boats

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Oh what's up Majesty 2 on sale

Let's get this nostalgia train going

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    FvzfaLz.jpg

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    Ayyy so the Canadian currency is coming to steam?

Does that mean everything gets more expensive and now it'll be taxed because that's usually how it goes.

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular

Does that mean everything gets more expensive and now it'll be taxed because that's usually how it goes.

probably

WOO

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    You are Mountain.

You are God.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I like the flavor text for the Maple Staff, by the way.

...sorry, sometimes the puns just happen.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I'm past the point of no return in dragonfall so there probably isn't a whole lot of new stuff left. so far what I have seen:

the new ui was better for a lot of people I guess, but I didn't have any trouble with the old one so it wasn't a big deal to me. combat is a lot faster which is nice not having to watch a mage cast aim 12% super slowly
    your crew is much better. the first time I wasn't really using glory at all and eigar wasn't anything note worthy. now they are
    the biggest thing they did was flesh out the lodge. there's an entire new mission from them, and they have more input in other missions as well
    your party members have missions of their own, but I didn't end up doing any because I had already talked to them in the first playthrough and didn't think to do it again and now it's too late
    they expand a bit on the mercs you can hire, I met the lucky star lady in a new bar under the keiz
    I think the doctor's mission is new, I liked it the most out of all the new content
    guns are a bit more balanced now. pistols are technically the best but the way it works sounds like an exploit to me, and I like rifles anyway. flanking bonuses make it so you're not just using full auto too, burst fire has more applications

and for the bad
    ties into the lodge part above I didn't like their input in one of the missions. it felt like it watered down one of the more meaningful choices in the base game
    they basically give you an easy out for the MK7 mission
    the teammate buffs come as a double edged sword. now that blitz and dietech are so good it really gives you no reason to play as a decker or shaman. if you upgrade blitz to an excalibur he is at least on par with a pc decker in the matrix, maybe even better.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular

Unlike a lot of games, it's easier to start learning by picking a small, weak country, and slowly building your way up. Especially in Ireland, where there's lots of other small weak poor countries that won't bother you too much.

If you try to go "easy mode" by picking a huge powerful nation you'll end up probably having your country get totally ripped apart instead.

And don't feel bad about restarting a million times.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

fffffff

• Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    There's a reason Ireland is known as Starter Isle in CK2. Just make sure you start at 1066, not the date in the 800's. (I think you need the DLC to start then anyways)

• Options
    I completed The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, and I liked it a whole lot!
    More on that would be spoiler-heavy, has anyone else played and finished it?

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Jars wrote: »
    I'm past the point of no return in dragonfall so there probably isn't a whole lot of new stuff left. so far what I have seen:

the new ui was better for a lot of people I guess, but I didn't have any trouble with the old one so it wasn't a big deal to me. combat is a lot faster which is nice not having to watch a mage cast aim 12% super slowly
    your crew is much better. the first time I wasn't really using glory at all and eigar wasn't anything note worthy. now they are
    the biggest thing they did was flesh out the lodge. there's an entire new mission from them, and they have more input in other missions as well
    your party members have missions of their own, but I didn't end up doing any because I had already talked to them in the first playthrough and didn't think to do it again and now it's too late
    they expand a bit on the mercs you can hire, I met the lucky star lady in a new bar under the keiz
    I think the doctor's mission is new, I liked it the most out of all the new content
    guns are a bit more balanced now. pistols are technically the best but the way it works sounds like an exploit to me, and I like rifles anyway. flanking bonuses make it so you're not just using full auto too, burst fire has more applications

and for the bad
    ties into the lodge part above I didn't like their input in one of the missions. it felt like it watered down one of the more meaningful choices in the base game
    they basically give you an easy out for the MK7 mission
    the teammate buffs come as a double edged sword. now that blitz and dietech are so good it really gives you no reason to play as a decker or shaman. if you upgrade blitz to an excalibur he is at least on par with a pc decker in the matrix, maybe even better.

Yeah, but Blitz is an insufferable douche. and I always brought the other guys on every mission (I was a decker) because I liked the characters and wanted them with me, I can't invested in the mercs.
    I liked the changes the DC update brought, especially the follower missions and the updated combat mechanics.
    Honestly, the only annoying thing about it was that you still can't make other team members pick shit up -.-

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular

this is the e-mail btw I woulda pasted it but I was at work
    Dear Steam User,

Steam will soon be priced in Canadian Dollar!

If your Steam wallet has any money in it on October 7th, 2014 (Pacific Time), your U.S. Dollar balance will be converted to the Canadian Dollar, at a conversion rate dictated by market value at the time of conversion.

To view your account balance, simply log into your Steam client or the Steam website at http://www.steampowered.com. Once you have logged in, you will see your balance in the upper-right corner next to your account name.

Thanks,

The Steam Support Team
    http://support.steampowered.com

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »

I'm glad you liked it. That will probably be the next thing I buy when I have some disposable game money, and I've shaved a couple of things off my backlog.

• Options
    el_vicio wrote: »

I'm glad you liked it. That will probably be the next thing I buy when I have some disposable game money, and I've shaved a couple of things off my backlog.

Spoiler: you can never finish (modding) Skyrim

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I don't count Skyrim as part of my backlog. It is forever. It is eternal. It is alpha and omega.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Looking at the new weekly bundle, go to start clicking on games , see description/trailer, whatnot, see if anything interesting.

Well, I didn't even hit play on the first game's trailer, I might have to buy a bundle based solely on the preview image of this trailer. ( I have not clicked play on this, I'm scared it can't live up to the preview image)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FsoRdpQ-7Q

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    I don't count Skyrim as part of my backlog. It is forever. It is eternal. It is alpha and omega.

Ethan Carter is not that long, btw. it took me....3? Hardly 4 hours

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Ethan Carter looks sooo pretty

But I can't justify 20 bucks for 3 to 4 hours without the promise of an overwhelmingly positive emotional hook to go alongside it ala Gone Home

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    I wish I could install multiple instances of Skyrim, each with its own set of mods.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    So I played Crysis 2 for a while and it is pretty fun apart from the fact that enemies are pretty much omniscient any time you're not cloaked.

Also this suit power drains way too quick.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    I wish I could install multiple instances of Skyrim, each with its own set of mods.

ModOrganizer is exactly what you want

it manages it's own Data directory outside of Skyrim and keeps everything tidy. lets you have mod setups and keeps track of the saves associated with them

ENB Manager and Changer is also a good thing if you're into ENBs or are using a certain weather mod that has post-processing effects you'd like to swap out for Climates of Tamriel (Realistic Colors and Real Nights, you bizarre creature)

Lockout on
    f24GSaF.jpg
  • Options
    Kana wrote: »

Unlike a lot of games, it's easier to start learning by picking a small, weak country, and slowly building your way up. Especially in Ireland, where there's lots of other small weak poor countries that won't bother you too much.

If you try to go "easy mode" by picking a huge powerful nation you'll end up probably having your country get totally ripped apart instead.

And don't feel bad about restarting a million times.

good to know! I might've tried to go with a powerhouse because that does seem like the easy option initially
    Syphyre wrote: »
    There's a reason Ireland is known as Starter Isle in CK2. Just make sure you start at 1066, not the date in the 800's. (I think you need the DLC to start then anyways)

why not the early date? I won't have the expansion, but I'm curious

f24GSaF.jpg
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    The 800's have a viking invasion of the british isles which pretty much mean you will quickly be murdered

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I tried a game, started on that tiny island off the west african coast. wasn't smart because I was the only christian nation in the entire region so I got put to the sword like the infidel I was 2 years in

Jars on
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Yo, can we quit it with the "shit pushed in" phrase please?

• Options
    it occurred to me that it was a euphemism for rape after I posted it and it did make me feel icky

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I never stopped and thought about what that phrase literally meant before either... hmm.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Also, if you play Ireland as a newbie, make sure you don't have the Sunset Invasion DLC turned on. (Assuming it's part of the F2P weekend)

This discussion has been closed.