As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's time for a REAL [Superhero] Movie!

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Fish Mooney is very clearly an ATTEMPT to come up with a comic bookey nam like Victor Freis but fucking it up about as badly as possible

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Why thats FISH MOONEY.

Created for the show!

And she's the baddest of the bad.

I totally bet her name isn't FISH so that the Penguin guy can take over her criminal empire in the season finale after rising through the ranks all season and then say "Penguins eat fish."

Oh my god

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    You know what hurts me.

Gotham could be a GREAT procedural with Gordon fighting a losing fight Gotham's mob, and it would be GREAT.

Instead....well, we'll see.....

That was the gist of Sepinwall's review - for the show to succeed, the GCPD needs to lose, and he's not sure if Fox will let them do that.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    Weaver wrote: »
    I just found a stack of new mutants singles on a bus stop bench.

Which run?

Think one of the covers had blink on it. They were in a pile of stuff somebody left so I didn't mess with them much or take them.

that's the DnA run, it's good stuff

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    You know what hurts me.

Gotham could be a GREAT procedural with Gordon fighting a losing fight Gotham's mob, and it would be GREAT.

That was the gist of Sepinwall's review - for the show to succeed, the GCPD needs to lose, and he's not sure if Fox will let them do that.

Lose for roughly 17 years at that. They completely screwed the timeline up.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Why thats FISH MOONEY.

Created for the show!

I totally bet her name isn't FISH so that the Penguin guy can take over her criminal empire in the season finale after rising through the ranks all season and then say "Penguins eat fish."

Oh my god
    You know what hurts me.

No that sounds about right, actually.

When the Waynes were alive, Gotham was bad, but the Wayne's and their cabal were activley making it better.

After they're murdered Gotham basically falls the fuck apart and the Falcone's as well as all the other mob family's pick up the pieces, and then burns said pieces while taking a shit on it.

The GCPD goes from decent with a few black spots to corrupt as all fuck(Which Gordon fixes shortly before Batman comes onto the scene, WHICH IS ALSO A GREAT STORY GOTHAM, ARE YOU LISTENING?).

And a lesser known Batman villian that they can move up, timeline wise(Black Mask) if their super hurting for a hard Batman tie-in.

So there is ALOT of gold in the premise. It just needs to DO IT.

Transporter on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Why thats FISH MOONEY.

Created for the show!

Oh my god
    You know what hurts me.

No that sounds about right, actually.

When the Waynes were alive, Gotham was bad, but the Wayne's and their cabal were activley making it better.

After they're murdered Gotham basically falls the fuck apart and the Falcone's as well as all the other mob family's pick up the pieces, and then burns said pieces while taking a shit on it.

The GCPD goes from decent with a few black spots to corrupt as all fuck(Which Gordon fixes shortly before Batman comes onto the scene, WHICH IS ALSO A GREAT STORY GOTHAM, ARE YOU LISTENING?).

And a lesser known Batman villian that they can move up, timeline wise(Black Mask) if their super hurting for a hard Batman tie-in.

So there is ALOT of gold in the premise. It just needs to DO IT.

Some how, all the potential the premise has is just going to make it hurt worse when they completely fail to live up to any of it.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    There's a lot of better ways to do Gotham

I honestly think a five year difference would be huge (that puts young Bruce Wayne at 17, and the case that left him orphaned still unsolved, or pushed under the rug, as the case may be)

But that's not the show we're getting

• Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    most likely the only good thing that will come out of Gotham is chris sims being angry about it on twitter

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Why thats FISH MOONEY.

Created for the show!

Cats eat penguins.

Clowns eat cats.

Bats eat clowns.

Etc

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Kilroy wrote: »
    most likely the only good thing that will come out of Gotham is chris sims being angry about it on twitter

I really hope he's on weekly review duty for CA.

• Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular

I really hope he's on weekly review duty for CA.

he'll need something to fill the gaping void in his life that will be left when he finishes the x-men cartoon

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    Fish Mooney is very clearly an ATTEMPT to come up with a comic bookey nam like Victor Freis but fucking it up about as badly as possible

I love silly comic book names more than almost anyone I know

I hate the name Fish Mooney

when BugBoy and I saw it we spent 5-10 minutes wondering what the heck it could mean

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Will there be a young Bruce watching reruns of Grey Ghost?

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    Will there be a young Bruce watching reruns of Grey Ghost?

Gg had a tv show?

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I like chris sims but I don't generally want to hear him talk about batman

but then I don't want to hear most people talk about batman, at this point

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    One of my problems with it is the culprit for the Waynes's murder being THE BIG MYSTERY.

It doesn't matter who killed them. What killed them was Crime, stupid random Crime and THAT'S Batman's enemy.

Joe Chill is just some asshole. If it wasn't him, it would be someone else. He doesn't matter.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    One of my problems with it is the culprit for the Waynes's murder being THE BIG MYSTERY.

It doesn't matter who killed them. What killed them was Crime, stupid random Crime and THAT'S Batman's enemy.

Joe Chill is just some asshole. If it wasn't him, it would be someone else. He doesn't matter.

They already did "The Joker kills Wayne's family" so....bets on that again!

• Options
    I agree with him of course that Gotham looks bad, but at this point Chris Sims saying super hero thing x is bad holds no weight with me

His idea of what a superhero 'should' be, and what certain characters should be, is incredibly restrictive and that really rubals me wrong

He's funny though

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    I'll rubal you wrong.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular

I have no interest in the show but Donal Logue as Bullock is so good it makes me angry that it's being wasted on this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Balefuego wrote: »

I have no interest in the show but Donal Logue as Bullock is so good it makes me angry that it's being wasted on this.

Captain Rawls as Carmine Falcone too

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    reviews have said it at least looks really good

like, visually

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    Why thats FISH MOONEY.

Created for the show!

Cats eat penguins.

Clowns eat cats.

Bats eat clowns.

Etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zLx_JtcQVI

• Options
    LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    Serious question:
    Anyone know anything about the Japanese comic book series Fairy Tail? I've been having a bunch of kids in my library ask me to buy it and I need to know if it is appropriate for a High School. It is hard to tell with some of these.

It's been a fair few years since I read it, but it's pretty straight forward kids stuff. IIRC it does have a fair few upskirts, but, you know, manga. It's nothing I would feel uncomfortable about my kids reading.

• Options
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    I'll rubal you wrong.

I think ill leave that

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Fish Mooney

jesus fucking christ

it's like Gotham was written by The Worst Muse on twitter (who you should totally follow, btw)

• Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    "Edward Nygma"

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    "Oswald Cobblepot"

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    What's your point

Those are good names

• Options
    MikeLLMikeLL What it do NEPHEW? Registered User regular
    yeah, those sound like actual names. Whereas Fish Mooney sounds like someone misspelled Fish Money and then what does that even mean is it slang or...

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    When you name your child E. Nygma, what did you think would happen?

Don't know what your problem with Cobblepot is though.

• Options
    Mooney is an actual real surname though? Pretty sure Nygma isn't

Fish is a bit crap but it's probably a nickname and it really really doesn't stand out in this setting, which is full of goofy names

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    his real name is edward nashton

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    MikeLLMikeLL What it do NEPHEW? Registered User regular
    Hermano wrote: »
    Mooney is an actual real surname though? Pretty sure Nygma isn't

Fish is a bit crap but it's probably a nickname and it really really doesn't stand out in this setting, which is full of goofy names

it really does stand out to some people obviously! That's why people are annoyed by it, if it didn't stand out no one would be mentioning it. Fish is the main problem, not Mooney, and the fact that it just doesn't sound good together.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I've posted this before but fuck it; Gotham should have just been the execution of one of the 'batman TV series' elevator pitches Grantland wrote a couple years ago:
    Scenario A: The One That Someone Should Do, Like, Tomorrow
    Gotham Central, based on Ed Brubaker, Greg Rucka, and Michael Lark’s great 2003-06 DC Comics series. It’s a police procedural about what it’s like to be the cops in Batman’s town, working murders committed by the Joker or the Penguin. Think about it: Overtired, cynical, paper-pushing cops, bitching about “The Bat,” laboring under the yoke of bureaucracy and due process that he willfully ignores, pridefully struggling to close red-ball murder cases before he does, just to prove that they can. You get to keep a lot of the stuff that worked in the Nolan films — the existential-cop-drama aspect, and the notion that by encouraging costumed lunatics to pick fights with him, Batman might be part of the problem — without having to push the old origin-story rock up the hill one more time. Plus, while you still have to find somebody new to play Batman, that person isn’t your leading man; his job is to show up, maybe not even in every episode, as a shape outside the window, murmuring “Check out the abandoned cat-toy factory downtown” in a gravelly voice before disappearing into the night. It’s Ed McBain’s 87th Precinct novels or NYPD Blue or Homicide set in a city that happens to have its own superhero. Better pitch: It’s The Wire in a world whose Omar is Batman. Boom! Only a studio that hates money would not green-light this immediately.

it could even kind of work as a lead-in to the BvS movie, if you could work around affleck not being in it

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

I don't have a problem with any of those names, I just don't think Fish Mooney sounds out of place amongst them

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    tangentially related, but Bendis' book (Words for Pictures - The Art and Business of Writing Comics and Graphic Novels) is really good + interesting.

My favourite part so far was when he asked a dozen or so different artists what their biggest pet peeve that writers do when scripting was and half to 2/3s of them took the opportunity to remind would-be comics writers that you can't really have multiple actions in a single panel because these are still frames, not animation.

the second most common pet peeve is forgetting to mention that a character has a sword until page 12, forcing them to go back and draw one into the previous 11 pages.

...shouldn't an artist read the whole script before they start drawing?

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Hermano wrote: »
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

I don't have a problem with any of those names, I just don't think Fish Mooney sounds out of place amongst them

How about how they replaced

Pamela Isley

with

Ivy Pepper

This discussion has been closed.