As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo 3ds] THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I'm excited for Fantasy Life too, but I cringed at bit at the text-and-tutorial-heavy first "hours." I wonder how many hours we're talking, here?

One, maybe two.

Each Life comes with its own little tutorial quest and there are 12 Lives. However, you only have to do the very first one - for the 11 other lives you get the option to just skip the tutorial quest. So if you want to do them all, it's gonna take longer than one, maybe two, hours.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Fantasy Life is really not text heavy.

It's inventory management heavy. There will come a time when you ask yourself 'Why am I carrying 7 kinds of apples, some monster poop and 12 kilts?'.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    Fantasy Life is really not text heavy.

It's inventory management heavy. There will come a time when you ask yourself 'Why am I carrying 7 kinds of apples, some monster poop and 12 kilts?'.

It might happen in the game too.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Obviously, the kilts are for selling so that you can buy more material with which to make kilts.

And maybe this time one of those kilts will be that Top Quality Kilt you've been aiming for.

• Options
    I don't even know where I got the monster poop.

The kilts are the least of my worries.

Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Now I'm wondering how much of the Farmer life consists of tracking down rare monsters and stealing their poop.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

Famous last words.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    http://nintendoeverything.com/spike-chunsofts-attack-on-titan-rated-in-australia-atlus-listed-as-publisher/
    Is Attack on Titan: The Last Wings of Mankind seeing localization? That does seem to be the case based on a new rating from Australia.

“Attack on Titan” was recently rated, with Atlus listed as publisher. We know that the rating pertains to The Last Wings of Mankind since Spike Chunsoft is included in the rating.

Atlus hasn’t officially announced Attack on Titan for the west. Perhaps that will change soon…

Yesssss

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    It's supposed to be kind of crappy, so maybe keep your expectations low.

• Options
    Renzo wrote: »
    It's supposed to be kind of crappy, so maybe keep your expectations low.

I'm guessing they're localizing the updated re-release, which supposedly fixes many of the game's problems.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

Are you taking the kilts off monsters?

There ya go.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    As someone said earlier about buying Fantasy Life off the eshop because it would be welded into the machine if it was a cart is the problem I have with animal crossing and why I am probably going to get Fantasy life and MH4 as digital copies
    I did pre order Persona Q collecters for all the junk you got with it

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Is there something wrong my 3DS or is Senran Kagura's framerate just absolutely atrocious?

Nothing wrong with your 3DS, the framerate for Senran Kagura Burst on 3DS is terrible. Still perfectly playable, but yeah. Poor framerate.

Jeez, what is it with beat em' ups on the 3DS and poor framerate? Code of Princess had the same problem.

Well, it's a portable with 2 screens and 3D. Try changing the power settings.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Huh, we got a Fantasy Life puzzle swap.

Still no Smash Bros., but it sounds like Sakurai and co. were barely able to meet deadlines without keeling over of group heart attacks as it is.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Is there something wrong my 3DS or is Senran Kagura's framerate just absolutely atrocious?

Nothing wrong with your 3DS, the framerate for Senran Kagura Burst on 3DS is terrible. Still perfectly playable, but yeah. Poor framerate.

Jeez, what is it with beat em' ups on the 3DS and poor framerate? Code of Princess had the same problem.

?

There are far more visually impressive games on 3DS that actually use stereoscopic 3D during gameplay AND run at a nice framerate. Senran Kagura has 3D graphics, but does not use the 3D slider during gameplay, and runs like a slideshow.

Also, what power settings?

• Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    I bought a 32GB on Amazon without much thought about its class... And then I received it and noticed a 4 in a circle... Will that still work on the 3DS? Did I screw up?

• Options
    RockinX wrote: »
    I bought a 32GB on Amazon without much thought about its class... And then I received it and noticed a 4 in a circle... Will that still work on the 3DS? Did I screw up?

It will still work but won't be as fast as a class 10 card. However, the difference really isn't that big.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular

It will work just fine. Ideally a 10 is preferred, but 4 is better than 2 (or unrated!) and will be fine for the 3DS.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular

?

There are far more visually impressive games on 3DS that actually use stereoscopic 3D during gameplay AND run at a nice framerate. Senran Kagura has 3D graphics, but does not use the 3D slider during gameplay, and runs like a slideshow.

Smash Bros showed what the 3DS is capable of, and made Pokemon and other such games look very bad in comparison.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options

?

Smash Bros showed what the 3DS is capable of, and made Pokemon and other such games look very bad in comparison.

Smash Bros also sucks up so much power it has to disable Streetpass.

• Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    I've streetpassed about 10 people who were playing SSB and only have about 4 Streetsmashes

It is infuriating

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

?

Wait, seriously? The only major processes I've seen it turn off are the browser and Miiverse (which are more or less the same thing). But streetpass? That would mean if you walk around with the game in sleep mode, you're fucking yourself out of passes? That can't be right.

But yeah, booting up the game, I can almost hear the system groan. A long loading time with nothing but a blank screen, to scare you into thinking the system crashed. Going to the Home menu takes a lot longer than normal. The whole thing even feels slower for a while after shutting down the game, like it hasn't flushed all the RAM out or something.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »

?

As well as it should

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular

?

Just saying that a dual core, dual screen portable with 3D is power hungry. Don't know what's up with SK or CoP.

Has anyone tried the Yu-Gi-Oh! game? I want to pick it up next month with the Pokémon VC games (Puzzle and TCG) next month.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    H*RH*R Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    Ok, I like the Link Between Worlds theme... but I think I love this one more. Just for the music alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lH-aj8doVok

I really like this, though wish Ghirahim wasn't so prominent on the farthest left part of the picture. Much rather have Zelda and Impa there.

Nintendo Network: WarrenMSP
    3DS: 4184-2362-9697
    PSN: Skywarrd
  • Options
    Wait, seriously? The only major processes I've seen it turn off are the browser and Miiverse (which are more or less the same thing). But streetpass? That would mean if you walk around with the game in sleep mode, you're fucking yourself out of passes? That can't be right.

That's the word, though I haven't tried it for myself.

• Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    I can confirm that you still get streetpasses with Smash Bros on

though, I dunno, I haven't been particularly methodical so it could be less efficient and only get you some streetpasses but that would be weird

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    Maz- wrote: »

It will still work but won't be as fast as a class 10 card. However, the difference really isn't that big.
    ArcSyn wrote: »

It will work just fine. Ideally a 10 is preferred, but 4 is better than 2 (or unrated!) and will be fine for the 3DS.

Really? Because I keep getting worried that my current 8GB SD card is a bit slower than the 2GB card that came with my 3DS, and it's a class 8, IIRC. I think I remember someone saying that Smash won't boot up for them if the card is too slow. Am I misremembering something?

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    The 3DS has 128 megs of RAM. However, 32 megs are set aside for system functions and anything that runs alongside a game like Miiverse, the web browser, etc. leaving 96 megs for all games.

When the 3DS boots up Smash Bros, the system reboots itself into a new mode that uses all available RAM. No secondary programs can run alongside the game except the home screen. When it closes, it needs to reboot again to reallocate that RAM for what it's normally used for again.

I'm not sure that doing this could've made Pokemon look any better. Smash Bros needs more RAM for the sheer number of objects and items that could appear at any time, all those textures and models. Pokemon has a lot more predictable graphical state by comparison. It probably loses frames in 3D battles because the Pokemon models are such high resolution, lots of polygons etc. More RAM doesn't increase the number of polygons the system can push. However, Game Freak could've lowered the detail on the Pokemon a bit and reduced the problem...but then again, I do like how good the models look.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    The 3DS has 128 megs of RAM. However, 32 megs are set aside for system functions and anything that runs alongside a game like Miiverse, the web browser, etc. leaving 96 megs for all games.

When the 3DS boots up Smash Bros, the system reboots itself into a new mode that uses all available RAM. No secondary programs can run alongside the game except the home screen. When it closes, it needs to reboot again to reallocate that RAM for what it's normally used for again.

I'm not sure that doing this could've made Pokemon look any better. Smash Bros needs more RAM for the sheer number of objects and items that could appear at any time, all those textures and models. Pokemon has a lot more predictable graphical state by comparison. It probably loses frames in 3D battles because the Pokemon models are such high resolution, lots of polygons etc. More RAM doesn't increase the number of polygons the system can push. However, Game Freak could've lowered the detail on the Pokemon a bit and reduced the problem...but then again, I do like how good the models look.

Game Freak sucks at coding. The demo contains all the data from move tutors and base stats that will most likely be in the final game... Don't expect much from them.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    I can confirm that you still get streetpasses with Smash Bros on

though, I dunno, I haven't been particularly methodical so it could be less efficient and only get you some streetpasses but that would be weird

It's Miiverse that's disabled with Smash not streetpass.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    I guess with more RAM they might've been able to do a little LOD on the farther away Pokemon, which might require having a lower res model and texture in memory for both Pokemon, but would ease up on the poly pushing.

That's what Smash does:

4qzyroL.gif

But the Pokemon camera pans around a lot and moves depending on the attack you use, so it'd be a lot of swapping models in and out when it's probably easier to just load in one model for each Pokemon and be done with it.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Smash has a lot of objects moving around super fast with all kinds of effects plus the transforming stages, on top of the whole physics and fighting mechanics. Regular Pokemon fights don't even compare. They do look good, but they're slow as fuck, while Smash looks (or seems to look) at least as good and moves a billion times faster.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    H*R wrote: »
    skeldare wrote: »
    Ok, I like the Link Between Worlds theme... but I think I love this one more. Just for the music alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lH-aj8doVok

I really like this, though wish Ghirahim wasn't so prominent on the farthest left part of the picture. Much rather have Zelda and Impa there.

I feel like there's a lot of lazy design when it comes to home screen stuff and/or themes on consoles/handhelds. They pick some artwork that might look really cool, but don't take into account how it looks in the actual interface. That image looks great as a poster on my wall, but doesn't work as well as a theme.

PS3 games are particularly bad in this regard. Here are just some awful examples in my own collection.
    nitn9Co.jpg
    bNDdRyh.jpg
    oGZi1oK.jpg
    vOKfbN6.jpg

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Smash has a lot of objects moving around super fast with all kinds of effects plus the transforming stages, on top of the whole physics and fighting mechanics. Regular Pokemon fights don't even compare. They do look good, but they're slow as fuck, while Smash looks (or seems to look) at least as good and moves a billion times faster.

I'm saying that Pokemon runs choppy in 3D because it's rendering two really high quality models, too many polygons for the 3DS to handle. More RAM doesn't help in that situation unless they used it for LOD. More RAM does help with Smash because it has a lot going on that might require a wide range of models and textures to be called up at a moment's notice.

I'm not saying they couldn't have done Pokemon better, I'm saying that Smash's extra RAM allocation might not have provided the same benefit to them.

In fact I bet the reason Smash 3DS doesn't have the trophy photo mode is because it'd have a hard time rendering two or three of those trophies at once.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I'm excited for Fantasy Life too, but I cringed at bit at the text-and-tutorial-heavy first "hours." I wonder how many hours we're talking, here?

It's not that bad. After the first story bits you get turned out into the world and can do further story or run around adventuring at your leisure. The story parts are pretty hand-holdy throughout, but the meat of the game is not.

Edit: Man, I missed a page. I am failing at this forum today.

SwashbucklerXX on
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular

Poop comes from bunnies. Of course. :)

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options

Obviously.

Note to self: sell...bunny poop.

Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    For some reason you made me think of this.

XT1QFmv.gif

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular

Obviously.

Note to self: sell...bunny poop.

Geth wants your poop

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
This discussion has been closed.