As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain] THREADS THAT KILL. (OUT NOW)

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    ede

!

Oh brilliant
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    lol silly conspiracies are silly

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    lol silly conspiracies are silly

Counter-point: Kojima

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    There's only room for one Snake and one Big Boss.

• Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    *Speculation intensifies*

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

It's funny, there was really nothing in the way of big conspiracies when they fucked up with Raiden's eye colour in the early Metal Gear Solid: Rising concept stuff. And then that design of an archaic, not-as-good-as-MGS4's cyborg body became the SUPER ADVANCED VERSION instead.

Oh brilliant
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Personally I love these Metal Gear conspiracies.

I just like to think the people coming up with them are locked away in a tiny room, their walls covered in pictures and post-it notes.

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Kojima can finally do the things he wanted to, now that the hardware has evolved
    Snake has lost weight, they say
    You can choose your own routes during the missions
    Quiet can assist you during gameplay with the buddy system
    You can choose where the helicopter sets you down
    Riding your horse is hard in the jungle environment
    Snake is ‘naked’, Miller tells him they are making a new suit at Mother Base
    The new suit is delivered to Snake
    You can climb walls with cracks
    The climbing section seen in the demo is a shortcut, you can also go around through the jungle
    Snake is wearing a different arm prothesis in the demo
    You’ll be able to use different protheses with different functions
    There will be a lot of different protheses according to Kojima
    You can set up a talking decoy. He has a lot of lines, including ‘Kept you waiting, huh?’ and ‘You’re pretty good!’
    Snake calls in Quiet and orders her to scout up ahead
    Quiet can also provide cover fire
    When she is in position, she hums
    She marks enemies during reconnaissance
    If you speed up the time too much, the POW target dies
    By hovering the reticle, you can select Quiet’s target
    Snake throws a grenade and orders Quiet to shoot it
    Quiet has a weakness that will tie into the story, and also into the way she is dressed
    Quiet’s abilities depend on the degree of her bond with Snake
    In the demo, the attacks commands were: shoot, target and wait for my signal, shoot this, and provide/cease cover fire
    However, a lot has to happen for all these options to be available (bond degree)
    If the bond isn’t high enough, Quiet won’t come with you
    When Snake uses the ‘pin radar’, all the icons represent animals, but it reacts to people as well
    You can analyze soldiers to see their statistics, like in Peace Walker
    The binoculars can be upgraded by through R&D
    Another interrogation option is asking: ‘Where are your friends?’
    Snake’s can stun enemies with his arm, it packs 1.2 million volts
    According to Kojima, you may never meet Quiet. It depends on how you play through the game.
    Snake can also jump out of the chopper while it’s in the air… but it would kill him

Kojima once again talked about the themes of Metal Gear Solid V: Race, conflict, the cycle of revenge, and war. “Snake and Kaz are hungry for revenge, Ocelot is more neutral.”
    The buddy system (taking Quiet or DD the wolfdog with you) is optional, you can play the game alone.
    You’ll be able to accept new missions without going back to Mother Base.
    The sneaking suit is made of high-strength aramid fibers and has sound absorbing boots.
    You will be able to develop weather modification technology.
    A while ago, Kojima supposedly said he brought back a character he killed before. Now he clarified that he meant ‘a character killed off during planning’. So not a character that was dead in the story, but one that wasn’t in the story before.
    If you clear Ground Zeroes you’ll get something ‘really cool’ in The Phantom Pain.
    Kojima: ‘The Phantom Pain is nearing completion after 5 years.’ He said he wants it to stand up to the best in the world. It is the game he wanted to make 27 years ago.
    On the Fox Engine:
    The Fox Engine has facilitated multiplatform development. It also reduced development costs by 1/5.
    The engine’s editor lets the level designers do about 80% of their work by themselves. They can now do things without having to ask programmers

Both the horse and the dog (DD) can die. This goes for AI buddies in general, so even Quiet can meet this fate.
    Once your buddies are dead, they’re dead for good. This won’t affect the main plot though.
    As said before, you can beat the game without meeting Quiet at all, and the same goes for the dog. But meeting them opens up whole sub-plots.
    During the missions you can bring more than one buddy. There are four seats on the chopper aside the one for Snake.
    Ocelot was a buddy at some point, but at the moment he isn’t. He may or may not become a buddy.
    Kojima: “What Snake and his men go through in TPP is painful. Very painful.”
    “The concept behind Quiet was nudity. A naked sniper.” Kojima also reiterated the reason behind the way she looks will surprise us. But no, she isn’t Chico, as Kojima confirmed.

The "Chico is Quiet" theory has to be the single dumbest I've read in a very long time. I keep hoping it's meant to be a bad joke taken too far.

I don't know what it is about MGS fans that they have to come up with completely baseless "X is Y character" theories seemingly pulled from their collective asses. Remember when "Raiden is Sunny" was a thing during Rising's development?

"Yo I heard that Ocelot is actually Meryl from the future! I have zero basis for that but let's post it all over the internet!"

The worst was the semi-spoilerish speculation from MGS2. The theory put forward as fact was that Solid Snake was DEAD (because he couldn't possibly have survived FOXDIE), the one in MGS2 another clone. This was from a magazine I read back in the day.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    So, I haven't played Peace Walker in a while (badly scratched copy, been meaning to pick up another one), but was there really a good reason for BB to keep that nuke? One of Paz's tapes in GZ points out that they want to use it as a nuclear deterrent but they can't announce it out of fear of painting a target on their heads (and we see how well that works in GZ). But since deterrence only works when the other party knows you have nuclear capabilities, their gambit doesn't really make any sense

I guess a Metal Gear without nuclear capability isn't really the full package; I mean, the whole point of having one is that you can launch a missile from "any terrain". But what would MSF possibly do with a single nuke? Benefits didn't really seem to outweigh the risks

I just recently finished this game and wondered at that point myself. Big Boss does not want the nuke and wanted yto dispose of it. Kaz talked him into keeping it, stating it could hurt the environment if left in the water, not wanting it to fall into the wrong hands, etc. Big Boss still had major misgivings about it, but Kaz was adamant in his want to keep it. Thinking over how
    Kaz knows about his clones and knew all along about Paz and the'professor and never told Snake
    really causes me not to trust his motives.

• Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    Anyone gotten back and played the older MGS games recently?

When I nabbed the MGS HD Collection I thought I was going to be completely done with it by now.

But with MGS2, a game I used to play extensively during the PS2 days, I am routinely fucking up. Specifically, I can't get past the part after you fight Solidus for the first time; I never had an issue with this before, but I'm just constantly getting spotted or falling to my death.

Maybe if I spent some time on the VR training I'll get back some of those lost skills.

A friend and I are going through the series together. We beat MGS2 last week, and that game was full of bullshit deaths and janky control, but so was the first Metal Gear Solid.

By the time we got to the Harrier fight, we couldn't take the game seriously anymore and were mostly screwing around, but the specific part you mentioned is... Not at all difficult.

And it's not the end of the world if you're spotted unless you're on Extreme difficulty or something. Just deal with it and move on.

• FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    OK my hype meter is at "like whoa" for this. The problem is that I've been out of the MG game for so long now. Last one I played is 4. I have the HD collection so I can jump back and play Peace Walker. I may just buy it on my Vita instead, though. Anyways, I kind of NEED to play it to have any chance at having a clue as to what's going on, don't I? I haven't picked up Ground Zeroes yet, but I am itching to play it. We don't have a release date for TPP yet, do we? I guess that means I have plenty of time to get through PW while justifying to myself why I'm not playing on my fancy new hardware. :)

Oh wait. They didn't release the HD version on Vita. Huh. Well that's a metric fuck-ton of stupidity. Guess I'll be reconnecting my PS3 after all.

Fawst on
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    You can play the PSP version on Vita. You can control the camera with the right stick and everything.

It still plays a ton better on PS3/X360

Yeah, there's not much of a reason to double-dip on it. I've only ever done that with games I have played into the ground and would play further if given the chance. I'll probably set it up when I get home. Just sucks because even though I replaced my blu ray drive, it's been giving me shit and I need to tilt the system at an extreme angle when I load a disc for it to register. Meh.

I'm not saying it's as good as the PS360 version, but it's the best way to play it on a handheld.

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    that conspiracy image is kind of old, also here is the rest of it
    noRdUi7.jpg

uc3ufTB.png
  • Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    Not that I necessarily believe that conspiracy, but the points it makes are actually ... pretty solid (I apologize for nothing).

It does actually seem incredibly far fetched, but at the same time, I wouldn't really put it past Kojima.

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    In other news, my friend who finished Peace Walker on Friday tried out Ground Zeroes at another friend's place a few days afterward and he got absolutely steamrolled. Literally triggered an alert between every checkpoint.

So just as a heads up for everyone who goes directly from Peace Walker into Ground Zeroes: GZ controls and almost plays exactly the same as Peace Walker, but in PW you're kind of spoiled when it comes to stealth. Ground Zeroes does not fuck around. The sight lines are long and there's no camo index or Soliton shit to rely on, only visual and audio cues, as well as the seat of your pants.

I think it's glorious, but naturally my friend got buttmad about enemy "super vision".

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    The funny thing is, either outcome would be equally surprising - or rather, unsurprising.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    In other news, my friend who finished Peace Walker on Friday tried out Ground Zeroes at another friend's place a few days afterward and he got absolutely steamrolled. Literally triggered an alert between every checkpoint.

So just as a heads up for everyone who goes directly from Peace Walker into Ground Zeroes: GZ controls and almost plays exactly the same as Peace Walker, but in PW you're kind of spoiled when it comes to stealth. Ground Zeroes does not fuck around. The sight lines are long and there's no camo index or Soliton shit to rely on, only visual and audio cues, as well as the seat of your pants.

I think it's glorious, but naturally my friend got buttmad about enemy "super vision".

I did the same thing with going from PW to GZ after not playing any others for years (since 4 first came out actually) and got my ass handed to me. PW made me feel like I was a stealth god (the boss fights... Not so much), but GZ really put me in my place. Took me awhile to get used to it and I can now get to the eastern prison camp and back with no alerts, but I can't rescue Paz in the same fashion, even if I go to her first. That area is heavily patrolled and then is restocked with guards once you rescue her - even if you already cleared the place. I'm really digging the free form feel to the place and how I can generally go about things in my own way.

Any advice on the Paz section for a more stealthy approach? I've never been able to get out of there without becoming Rambo.

One Protip is that when you come up the hill from rescuing Chico, you can hitch a ride in the back of a truck direct into the compound where Paz is, in about a minute.

From there, you can clear a path to Paz, and even with the shift change, there'll be 3-4 guards at most between you and the car. Get in and drive to the cliffside extraction point. If you're lucky, you may avoid detection. If not, doesn't matter you're too fast to catch. ;D

Other Protips include turning off Reflex under options, the slowmo counteralert thing. Turning it off is worth a lotta bonus points.

Also, rescue the other POWs from where Chico is being held. Rescue them all, and you get a massive point bonus, to the point where it's difficult NOT to S-rank it. ;D

Oh brilliant
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I miss the Soliton radar. I don't care if it was ez mode. :(

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    I'll just say that I would absolutely hate a twist where it turned out I wasn't Snake at the end of the game.

Plus they already kind of pulled this with Metal Gear
    Ac!d 2

Late commenting on the new trailer, but that new sneaking suit is awesome, as is the confirmation of NPCs helping Big Boss in the field.

Be honest, you're going to reload that save when the dog gets killed.

I wouldn't put it past Kojima to include some sort of anti-resetting auto-save countermeasure to make sure you have to live with the regret of losing your dog.

• PreciousBodilyFluidsPreciousBodilyFluids Registered User regular
    What is up with that horn on Big Boss' head anyway?

Mostly likely shrapnel from the chopper crash. Its a real thing that can happen if a foreign object pierces the skull and mushrooms into the head, it can kill you taking it out. Better to leave it until it can be properly treated.

Also, blowing up that helicopter in the demo was sick. Big Boss chucks a grenade and Quiet detonates it midair with a bullet.

They certainly are going for a continuity retcon considering the Big Boss in the first two games did not appear to have facial scars, a prosthetic arm and a shrapnel horn on his head.

• Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    With how Big Boss has been changed before even this, it's pretty much just par for the course at this point.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    They certainly are going for a continuity retcon considering the Big Boss in the first two games did not appear to have facial scars, a prosthetic arm and a shrapnel horn on his head.

He WAS a cyborg, though.

So, you know. Mystery solved.

We should compile a list of all the retcons in the MGS series. The father/son relationship between Boss and Snake was introduced in MGS, but they talk about it as if it was known in MG2, but it's not mentioned in the MSX games. Then in MGS2, Liquid says Big Boss was "in his fifties" when he was clones, but MGS3 retconned Big Boss to be younger. I'm sure there's a ton more if you're looking for it.

The horn and hand can be pretty easily handwaved though. I could see Boss having the horn removed if it's causing him pain. Tech is crazy in the MGS universe, so I'm sure by the early 90s they can safely remove it with nanomachines. With the hand, he could replace it with a more realistic looking prosthetic, or just buy a pair of gloves.

Not at all, it's clearly removed by the time of MGS4, even MGS1. It's a temporary thing, but it's really there to symbolize Big Boss' quest for revenge is changing him into a demon.

• MattitudeMattitude Paste Pot Pete Kicking The BucketRegistered User regular
    For those of us who read comics, the MGS continuity is relatively straightforward. I mean, it's no X-Men timeline. I love it for how bonkers it is though. My housemate, (although nerdy in many ways) doesn't 'get' MGS for the a lot of the same reasons he doesn't 'get' comics: He thinks a lot of the stuff in them, particularly with regards to continuity and suspension of disbelief, is straight up dumb. I don't disagree with him. But that's exactly why I like them so much.

In the last couple weeks I have blasted through MGS 1&2, and I've just started 3. I'm gonna play them all through (again) at least once before TPP hits (I might even try Portable Ops, picked it up in the PSN Retro sale). I'm looking forward to 4, since I haven't played it since it came out, and I'm already hankering to go back to 1&2 and do 'em better (gotta get dem Dog Tags!) But man, MGS3 might just be one of the best games ever made, hands down. The environments are super fun to explore, the stealth is super rewarding, and I'd also argue that it's the first MGS where combat is a viable option if you don't wanna always be stealthing. I think it might just be my favourite MGS supporting cast too. Para-Medic is super refreshing as your analyst after the dreariness that was Rose. I think MGS2 is a masterpiece in a lot of ways, and super ahead of it's time as a deconstruction of gaming tropes, but I do not like the Jack/Rose plot. At all.

I might even try the MSX games... I can see them being fun on Vita.

I got this Tumblr and I don't know how to use it.
    Decide on the next line by the rhyme when I choose it.
    Also I put songs on YouTube
    The musings of this lonely rube.

I made a thread once. It didn't end well for me.
    I don't think the MSX games are available on Vita.

They're included with MGS3 in the HD collection, since it's based on the Subsistence re-release. So I already have them.

Mostly likely shrapnel from the chopper crash. Its a real thing that can happen if a foreign object pierces the skull and mushrooms into the head, it can kill you taking it out. Better to leave it until it can be properly treated.

What intrigues me is that I don't think the shrapnel is actually there in the early gameplay demos involving the hospital (or in the actual cutscene involving the pre-coma), so I'm actually wondering if the shrapnel horn happens after the fact

Mattitude wrote: »
    They're included with MGS3 in the HD collection, since it's based on the Subsistence re-release. So I already have them.

I'm pretty sure that they're not in the Vita version of MGS3. But if they are, yay.

Rest assured, they are: I played like 10 minutes of Metal Gear in bed last night. Enough to make me go "yeah, I might try and play this through at some point."

Just took this:

15342311755_da80fc2ff6_o.jpg

edited September 2014
    :^:

edit: Aww the thumbs up thing doesn't work anymore? Whatever, I'm leaving it.

Renzo on
This discussion has been closed.