As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain] THREADS THAT KILL. (OUT NOW)

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    Speaking of, sounds like Silent Hills is still happening even without Koji

Wonder if Kojima will let em use the Fox Engine for it. IIRC it's a joint custody on that thing since it used some of his own money in development.

Source? If so that'd be great news. Hopefully then Konami and Kojima can come to an agreement to both use it, so Kojima didn't waste the last five years developing an engine that he'd only use once.

As for Silent Hills still being in development, I'm not surprised. I just hope Nakazawa (SH3 director) is directing it and he's got all the ex-Team Silent devs still at Konami on his team. If not then I doubt I would've been interested anyway, whether Kojima stayed as a producer on it or not.

Closest I got is this, where Kojima says there's no plans to license it out, making it sound like it's KojiPro's decision who gets it, rather than Konami's.
    Oh, that doesn't sound like he has any ownership over it or anything. It's no different than what most other publishers do, develop their own in-house engine that most of their games are built on (EA with Frostbite, Capcom with MT Framework, etc.). Disappointing to hear, I guess Kojima will probably have to start from scratch again.
    Speaking of, sounds like Silent Hills is still happening even without Koji

Wonder if Kojima will let em use the Fox Engine for it. IIRC it's a joint custody on that thing since it used some of his own money in development.

Source? If so that'd be great news. Hopefully then Konami and Kojima can come to an agreement to both use it, so Kojima didn't waste the last five years developing an engine that he'd only use once.

As for Silent Hills still being in development, I'm not surprised. I just hope Nakazawa (SH3 director) is directing it and he's got all the ex-Team Silent devs still at Konami on his team. If not then I doubt I would've been interested anyway, whether Kojima stayed as a producer on it or not.

Closest I got is this, where Kojima says there's no plans to license it out, making it sound like it's KojiPro's decision who gets it, rather than Konami's. Must be some interbutts rumour, since it woulda been a bigger deal if KojiPro own it independently of Konami.

but kojipro is now konami los angeles or whatever

not that i'm someone who's seen licensing terms and whatnot, of course

Huh? Kojima Production LA, the Metal Gear Online team, are the only ones who have been renamed to Konami LA. The proper Kojima Productions studio and Konami's other teams (basically just the PES team) have been restructured into Konami Production Divisions 1-3. My guess is one will be the Metal Gear team, one will be the PES team and the last will be the Silent Hill team.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Yeah you guys, @Grove fuckin' hates Keifer Sutherland.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Grove wrote: »
    People don't play games on your timeline, no matter how short they are. Saying just go play it already is major goosery.

And people are free to enter the thread for any reason. Some may be completely new to the series. Others might not have had the correct system when a game came out. Or an inferior pc...or a life...or a massive backlog...or maybe they were working/studying abroad without gaming capabilities...there's like a million reasons not to be an ass about spoilers.

There's also a little thing that happened recently where Konami fired Kojima...like a week ago. So yeah, people are gonna come in and talk about it.

It's still pretty surreal to be honest.

I know, I've been trying to figure out how I feel about the whole thing over the past week. I've avoided posting my thoughts because they were too toxic even for myself.

I haven't played peacewalker or GZ.

I was really, really affected by the way David Hayter was treated. I have LOVED MGS since I was like 13. It's been my favorite series for years. Part was Kojima and part was Hayter. I think I took it a bit personally when he was kicked off MGSV. It also really, really, REALLY didn't help that Kiefer replaced him as I have an almost irrational hatred for that guy. Ask @Renzo, he'll vouch for my disdain.

Like so much so, my initial reaction to Kojima being fired was 'good, fuck that guy. I'm glad Konami is removing his name from everything Metal Gear. Karma's a bitch, he deserves to have it all taken away.'

I still feel that way quite a bit, but I'm also very sad at the same time. Not just with Kojima being fired, but with how tainted this series has become for me. MGS was THE reason I got into the film industry. I've sacrificed A LOT to get here and I had/have a deep desire to make movies as good as MGS 1 was for me..or MGS 3 for that matter.

I think ultimately I'm really sad that Kojima is having the series taken away from him. He's worked for 30 years on this in one form or another I believe and he's made some amazing games along the way. I always hoped that there would be a Hayter/Kojima reconcile within the MGS universe one day, but that won't happen now.

MGS won't be the same ever again. That's probably a bad thing, almost guaranteed, and it's sad to see a series that's carved out a unique place in gaming history fall into...who knows...ruin probably.

The only positive, I guess, is I now have to play MGSV. I was thinking of skipping it, but this is last one barring a miracle. So I'll replay all the games this summer, finally play my Japanese import of GZ, import MGSV or get it on steam and use the Japanese VO, and look for some sort of closure.

It's a sad ending to a series that's been important to me for more than half my life.

Classics don't go away. I still have fun playing the original MSX games with all their 80s charm. I'd rather the series end on a high note than go the way of a franchise zombie that exists just to exist.

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I was really, really affected by the way David Hayter was treated. I have LOVED MGS since I was like 13. It's been my favorite series for years. Part was Kojima and part was Hayter. I think I took it a bit personally when he was kicked off MGSV. It also really, really, REALLY didn't help that Kiefer replaced him as I have an almost irrational hatred for that guy.

The ending to MGS5 will take place in Outer Heaven in 1995 where you will face a young Solid Snake (voiced by David Heyter).

It will be a CQC battle similar to the fight with The Boss in Snake Eater, only you have to lose in order to prevent a time paradox.

After the credits, Kojima knocks on your window and whispers "did you rike it?" before disappearing.

Fucking really?

• Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    A steak! wrote: »
    I was really, really affected by the way David Hayter was treated. I have LOVED MGS since I was like 13. It's been my favorite series for years. Part was Kojima and part was Hayter. I think I took it a bit personally when he was kicked off MGSV. It also really, really, REALLY didn't help that Kiefer replaced him as I have an almost irrational hatred for that guy.

The ending to MGS5 will take place in Outer Heaven in 1995 where you will face a young Solid Snake (voiced by David Heyter).

It will be a CQC battle similar to the fight with The Boss in Snake Eater, only you have to lose in order to prevent a time paradox.

After the credits, Kojima knocks on your window and whispers "did you rike it?" before disappearing.

Fucking really?

yeah its... yeah. it's one of those videogamey "jokes" that many havent realized is abit racist.

comes from this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m59UM1iFu-c

he doesn't even say with an r either.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    It's up there with "welcome to urf" from Independence Day. It's clearly 'earth' and 'like' but for some reason it's hilarious to misquote it? :I

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    So, anymore news in the "Kojima is leaving Konami" front?

They've now fucked with his show: http://www.metalgearinformer.com/?p=18767

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Eh, I've never had an issue with the "didjurikeit" thing because even Kojima knows it's a running gag amongst fans and he's done it on several occasions at the end of presentations and stuff.

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    "Did Droo Rike it?" is old news at this point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2ZFA4me4iw

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I wasn't making a racist joke, if that's what anyone was thinking. It was about how "did you rike it" has gone beyond what Kojima actually said and is a Metal Gear in-joke at this point.

It's his version of the Bill Murray "No one will ever believe you" internet story.

I don't think the idea would be plausible anyway, because after doing a decade of Snake's voice I think David Heyter's throat must be absolutely destroyed by now. I have doubts that he could portray a 20 year old Solid Snake and have it sound believable.

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Go watch the intro to MGS4, where Hayter does an in-person interview as himself for some reason. He has a fine voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwDquO8TVf0

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    That was before Peace Walker though, in which he sounded pretty rough.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Eh, I've never had an issue with the "didjurikeit" thing because even Kojima knows it's a running gag amongst fans and he's done it on several occasions at the end of presentations and stuff.

Not to drag this out but Kojima being "in on the joke" doesn't change the fact it's using an offensive portrayal of "asian accents," one that has been around a lot longer than Kojima... ijs, that doesn't make it "okay."

Anyhoo, I think what Konami is trying to do is reign in Kojima's name being much more powerful as a brand connected to the Metal Gear franchise than Konami. Restamping all his stuff as "Konami" seems to be their attempt to reinforce that. Not that it'd help, as Metal Gear is Kojima.

Kind of a the "emperor is strong because he permits no strong subjects" mentality; except the subject is also popular in addition to being strong so it will only serve to hurt in the long run depending on how it all plays out.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Well, like goddamn Hideo Kojima's name has been on the box since the first Metal Gear Solid, I think? It'd be like suddenly scrubbing James Cameron's name or Ridley Scott's name off the likes of the Alien films, Blade Runner or Terminator.

It's funny, though, on almost any other game franchise, it probably would have been much easier to do it (even Nintendo's core series have switched project leads multiple times).

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    So I watched MacGruber, thanks to Ryckert.
    And god damn it that movie sucks balls.
    THANKS METAL GEAR SCANLON.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    So I watched MacGruber, thanks to Ryckert.
    And god damn it that movie sucks balls.
    THANKS METAL GEAR SCANLON.
    You should know better by now than to trust any of Dan Ryckert's opinions about anything.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    It begins!
    QFGUes2.jpg

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Did Ac!d 2 come with the SolidEye? :cool:

Renzo on
  • Options
    Renzo wrote: »
    Did Ac!d 2 come with the SolidEye? :cool:

Both came with their manual and 2 with the solid eye. I'm really impressed!

• Options
    Played through the first couple missions of Ac!D, digging it so far.

Hardest thing to get used to is probably the lack of voice acting, just feels weird in a metal gear game. The gameplay is clicking pretty well, haven't been caught yet, pulled off some fun little go around corner, throw grenade, shoot grenade to kill multiple guards at once moves. Finally got access to the card shop and dumped all my money into packs so I can get rid of some of the unwieldiness in the starting deck.

I'm digging it though! Card driven turn based stealth action! :D

• Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    Goddamn Do I wish the Ac!d games were available digitally.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    They weren't too hard to get via amazon but still, yeah, real bummer they aren't out there for more people to easily get their hands on them.

• Options
    Just did the first boss fight of Ac!d, holy hell this game is fun!

Also a character just sang:

Top grade silk does a body good♪
    Sleep tight tonight like you always should♪
    With NEKAL Silk Powder there's no doubt♪
    You'll feel so good from the inside out♪
    Have a happy, silky day!♪
    Hip hip hooray! Okaaay!♪

This game is weird even by MGS standards.

• Options
    I finally decided to go back to playing MGS4 for the first time. Just beat Act 2 today.
    This fucking game is just marvelous. But man Naomi got weird on the second half of that act. Really really weird. Act 3 briefing was super ultra weird.

I loved the tracking part, so fun and funny. Finally got the hang of hold-ups (you can only raise the gun when you're right behind the prey), so it was particularly entertaining.

Also beat the Best and the Beauty non-lethal, but didn't grab the doll because i r dumb. As I didn't beat the FROGs nonlethaly earlier in Act 1, my chance at a Sun Gun was already lost, anyway. Good to know I CAN do it easily though. V-Rings are civilization. The beauty part was extra creepy, just like Naomi, for all the wrong reasons.

I'll keep you guys posted. I hope there were no spoilers above.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Most of the B&B Corps have little tricks for taking them down non lethally, but if Octopus had one I never found it. V-Ring all day erry day.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Like all MGS bosses there are extra tricks. 40mm stun grenades will let you go toe-to-toe with Octopus during her assault phases if you time it right. You don't even need to see through the after image, just aim, and keep firing until you see her stamina bar stop decreasing.

• Options
    SUUUUNRIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT
    Now I'm just sad a new Boktai game will never, ever see the light of day
    :D

Also,

http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/metal_gear_solid_5_the_phantom_pain/news/kojima_was_fired_by_konami_says_metal_gear_solid_voice_actress.html

"Categorically incorrect", they say.

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    I don't trust actors as sources regarding games business news. Not because they're untrustworthy, but because they're so far down the totem pole of the business of producing a game that it makes no sense for them to have access to information about anything not directly related to their own parts.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    Bursar wrote: »
    I don't trust actors as sources regarding games business news. Not because they're untrustworthy, but because they're so far down the totem pole of the business of producing a game that it makes no sense for them to have access to information about anything not directly related to their own parts.

It depends on the studio and actor. Donna Burke was involved in the soundtrack, so I wouldn't be surprised if she knew enough people at KojiPro to get a good picture of what went down. Doubly so for Stefanie Joosten, who has been used quite a lot in their promotional material.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    Yeah Donna Burke works directly with in-house composers like Ludvig Forssell, so it's entirely possible that she's in the know with senior production (though maybe not the senior production), and she heard it second hand. It doesn't confirm anything, of course, but Konami rep's phrasing doesn't help things either :P

• Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    I'm surprised this thread hasn't been bumped with all the Konami/Kojima drama in the news. Although I have an unrelated question.

I initially held off on purchasing Ground Zeroes, but plan to play it prior to playing Phantom Pain. How likely is it that they might get bundled together into a single package? The comparison to the Virtuous Mission / Snake Eater missions in MGS3 really made me think Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain were meant to be played together, so, ideally, I also wanted to purchase them in that manner.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    The conversation shifted to the Silent Hills thread.

Ground Zeroes: Very unlikely that they'll be bundled, except as a re-release down the road. All the preorders don't mention it bundled.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Rex Dart wrote: »
    I'm surprised this thread hasn't been bumped with all the Konami/Kojima drama in the news. Although I have an unrelated question.

I initially held off on purchasing Ground Zeroes, but plan to play it prior to playing Phantom Pain. How likely is it that they might get bundled together into a single package? The comparison to the Virtuous Mission / Snake Eater missions in MGS3 really made me think Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain were meant to be played together, so, ideally, I also wanted to purchase them in that manner.

Snake Eater takes place pretty quickly after Virtual Virtuous Mission, and you are retreading the same areas. Ground Zeroes takes place almost a decade before Phantom Pain, and is set in an entirely different area. I'd say a closer comparison would be Tanker and Plant from MGS2, both are linked by backstory but have entirely different environments. It doesn't really strike me as the first part of Phantom Pain so much as an interim short between Peace Walker and MGS5 proper.

You should check out Ground Zeroes if anything to check out the new gameplay style and get used to the idea of Keifer's Snake, also as a side bonus it should totally top off your hype tank if you've been running a little low.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Ground Zeroes is $8 right now in the Golden Week sale, along with HD collection (PS3/Vita), the individual games in said collections, Portable Ops and Revengeance. Prices vary, but all individual titles seem to be under $10 if you have Plus.

I'll be spending a bit of money today, as I want to play Peace Walker but don't have my PS3 set up, so Vita it is. Oh, and REmake is on sale. Tangential, but I also want that =P

• Options
    edited May 2015
    Only issue with diving into Ground Zeroes raw is that without the experience of Peace Walker it removes much of the narrative impact of the actual story events that occur. I love it to bits and I think it's a superb slice of game - possibly the most mechanically superior Metal Gear Solid yet - but without having played Peace Walker to the actual 'endgame Plus' end (which was notoriously difficult to trigger when it first came out) I probably would have not cared very much for any of the events that took place in the game.

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Yeah. Ground Zeroes is very much the epilogue to Peace Walker.

It's fucking amazing, but man does it hit harder if you've played Peace Walker.

....You have played Peace Walker, right? I don't see why anyone would skip such an amazing MGS mainline game.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    I played PW up until they make you fight a tank and I couldn't kill it

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I can't comprehend how anybody did any of those boss fights on the PSP control scheme.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    I played the whole thing on PSP, though I couldn't tell you how I did it.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    I'm playing it on my Vita, but I mapped the buttons to the right stick for camera. It's not that good, either.

Is there something I need to do throughout the game in order to get this special ending? I don't really plan to play it a ton, I just kind of want to get through it honestly. I'm sure I'll love it and change my tune, but what do I need to know off the bat?

This discussion has been closed.