As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I am IRON MAN! Proton Cannon! Alcohol! WE ARE VENOM! One for J.J.!

DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Social Entropy++
COMIC BOOK MOVIES

Here's the Gray Iron Man suit from the movie, designed by Stan Winston studios, who designed the T-1000, Jurassic Park animatronic dinos, Small Soldiers puppets, the Aliens in Aliens, the Predator, among other kick-ass movie creatures.

IronManGreySuit.jpg
Based upon Marvel's iconic Super Hero, "Iron Man" tells the story of Tony Stark, a billionaire industrialist and genius inventor who is kidnapped and forced to build a devastating weapon. Instead, using his intelligence and ingenuity, Tony builds a high-tech suit of armor and escapes captivity. Upon his return to America, Tony must come to terms with his past. When he uncovers a nefarious plot with global implications, he dons his powerful armor and vows to protect the world as Iron Man. The Mandarin will be the villain

ironmanteaser.jpg

Directed by Jon Favreau
Starring: Robert Downey Jr. - Tony Stark
Terrence Howard - Jim Rhodes
Gwyneth Paltrow - Virginia "Pepper" Potts
Jeff Bridges - Obadiah Stane
Shaun Toub - Mandarin
Leslie Bibb - Some reporter

Downey Jr. on the role
"He's a superhero who is just a man," Downey told Telegraph.co.uk about Iron Man's alter ego, billionaire industrialist Tony Stark. "Not that I wouldn't play a guy who got bit by a spider or who has some freaky connection with bats, but I think this is a little more accessible.

Downey added, "I guess that when Stan Lee created the character back in the mid-1960s -- to see if he could base a superhero on a hard-partying, womanising billionaire who manufactures weapons, and still make him likeable enough to sell comic books -- he clearly won his bet."

"Tony Stark is someone who has the ability to be right at the forefront of science and we are finding out more and more nowadays that science and mythology are becoming somewhat interchangeable. Some of the things that seemed really far-fetched aren't any more."
First filming pics
IronManSet.jpg
IronManSetKissing.jpg

Terrence Howard doing research
SupTerrence.jpg

Edd.jpg
Edward Norton has been set by Marvel Studios to play Bruce Banner in The Incredible Hulk.

The Louis Leterrier-directed film will be distributed by Universal Pictures on June 13, 2008. The movie will shoot this summer in Toronto.

Norton takes over a role played in the Ang Lee-directed Hulk by Eric Bana. Though that film opened strongly, it didn't fare as well as other Marvel efforts, including Spider-Man, X-Men, Fantastic Four and, most recently, Ghost Rider.

Marvel Studios, which has a $525 million credit facility obtained through Merrill Lynch, made The Incredible Hulk its second film under that arrangement, and seeks to make a sequel that is less self-serious and more in line with the comic series and TV show. Leterrier directed the action-filled Transporter and its sequel, as well as Unleashed.

The new movie begins with Banner on the run, trying to avoid capture long enough to cure the condition that turns him into a misunderstood green menace.

"Edward Norton is a rare talent and one of the most versatile actors in the business," Marvel Studios production president Kevin Feige said in a statement. "His ability to transform into a particular role makes him the ideal choice to take on the character of Bruce Banner and the Hulk. Edward is perfectly suited to bring one of the most popular and important Marvel icons to the bigscreen in a new and exciting way."

Screenwriter Zak Penn on The Avengers movie
With the second piece of casting in place for Marvel Films, they theoretically have actors to play two of the heroes who might end up being part of an Avengers movie, which conveniently enough, Penn has also been assigned to write. We asked Penn what he thought about having the actors now cast to play Iron Man and the Hulk appearing in Marvel's first team-up movie. "The truth is that would be ideal. The original plan when I talked to Kevin Feige [Marvel Film's President of Production] was that when we make an 'Avengers' movie, it should be the first time that the characters cross-over. It's what every fan has always wanted to see, is where you're watching the movie and there's Robert Downey Jr. and the Hulk intersects with the story. To be totally honest with you, I'm not even going to get started on that for a while. We've talked about it, but there's no point in dealing with it until after these movies even come out. What's great is that with Marvel, they own all the properties, so they can do it if they want to. I think a lot of it will depend on how 'Iron Man' and the 'Hulk' do. I've written a lot of comic book movies, and I need to take a little bit of a break first before I start writing that one."

The Dark Knight is currently shooting in Chicago this month.

Here are photos of what look to be Heath Ledger as the Joker
TDKJoker1.jpg
TDKJoker2.jpg
TDKJoker3.jpg

Producer David Goyer on Y: The Last Man
A few years ago, Superhero Hype! had a chance to talk to writer/director/producer David Goyer about the movie he was producing based on Brian K. Vaughn's post-apocalyptic comic book Y: The Last Man. In the time since then, he has directed a new suspense thriller called The Invisible and during that same time, Vaughn himself has taken a crack at the script, so Goyer updated Superhero Hype! on the status of that project: "I just was exchanging Emails with Brian Vaughn yesterday and saw his episode of 'Lost' last night. We're still pushing on that, we want to make it. The screenplay has a very unique voice that is obviously similar to the comic book, and I love that voice, but it's been harder to get traction in Hollywood with it. I really want to make the movie and make it with the voice that Brian has imbued his comic books with. I don't want to bastardize it in anyway."

We wondered whether Alfonso Cuarón's Children of Men might make it easier for Hollywood to understand Vaughn's vision, to which Goyer countered, "But 'Children of Men' didn't do well, and here's the bottom line: We need to find a director that loves the comic book. Once we do, it's fine. If you love the comic book, you get it immediately. I think that will translate to a mainstream audience, but we just need to find a director that already loves the comic book, so that's what we're trying to do."

Since the Vertigo comic book series will be done by then, we asked whether Vaughn would try to condense the entire series into a single movie. "No, the neat thing about his adaptation is that it's 70% the comic book, but he did a great job adapting it," Goyer replied. "He changed what needed to be changed. It still has that Brian K. Vaughn flavor, but it goes in a different direction, and the ending of the film in fact is different than the ending in the comic book will be."

David Goyer has signed on to direct Magneto.
Variety has the news, while also pointing out that with more than $1 billion in worldwide box office for the series to date, future X-Men tales like Magneto were perhaps inevitable. A Wolverine film is also in the works, with David Benioff scripting and Hugh Jackman once again playing the feral mutant.

According to the report, Magneto will go into production after Wolverine, and Goyer will develop the script for the film already written by Sheldon Turner. The film will be an origin tale, so it's unclear whether or not McKellen will be back for the project, though a cameo appearance seems to be a possibility. Variety describes the storyline as follows:

"Magneto comes to grips with his mutant ability to manipulate metal objects as he and his parents try to survive in Auschwitz. Magneto meets Professor Xavier (played as the wheelchair-bound mutant leader by Patrick Stewart [in the first three X-Men films]) when Xavier is a soldier liberating the concentration camp. Magneto hones his powers by hunting down and killing Nazi war criminals that tortured him, and his lust for vengeance turns Xavier and Magneto into enemies."

Both characters are slated to be played by actors in their 20s.

Goyer of course is no stranger to comic book movies, having been involved in all three Blade films, Batman Begins and its upcoming sequel The Dark Knight, and a recently announced Green Arrow picture called Super Max which will send the DC Comics hero to a jail full of super villains. He also was previously attached to a film based on the speedster the Flash, although that project has since fallen by the wayside.

DrIanMalcolm on

• Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    IT'S MY SUNDAY'S BEST

PROOOOTOOON CANNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    ScrumtrulescentScrumtrulescent Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    domo arigato, Mr. Iron Man-ato.

Scrumtrulescent on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    that is a classy cast for a comic book movie

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    :shock:
    It...it is glorious!

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    i hope they utilize as much material from warren ellis' run on invincible iron man as possible

christ they could just take the first six issue extremis arc and make that the movie

it has the origin story and everything

Pony on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    oh man there's printing on the scrap metal

excellent

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Pony wrote: »
    i hope they utilize as much material from warren ellis' run on invincible iron man as possible

christ they could just take the first six issue extremis arc and make that the movie

They're at least using Adi Granov as a conceptual artist for the movie

DrIanMalcolm on
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    Has he lost his mind?

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Pony wrote: »

but the extremis thing itself is bullshit

I CAN CONTROL ANY COMPUTER NOW

MY COSTUME JUST SWEATS OUT OF MY PORES

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Notice the badass flamethrower on the wrist

DrIanMalcolm on
  • Options
    JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    hey do the comics ever cover how he gets in that thing?

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Notice the badass flamethrower on the wrist

like boba fett without the instant death

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Jordyn wrote: »
    While on a visit to Vietnam (later updated to the Gulf War) to see how his new mini-transistors could assist the American war effort, Stark is caught in a booby trap. Captured by a Vietnamese warlord named Wong Chu, and dying from a piece of shrapnel lodged in his heart from the booby trap, Stark is pressed into building weapons for Wong Chu, along with a fellow prisoner, the famed physicist Yin Sen (later called Ho Yinsen). However, Stark and Yin Sen use the workshop to secretly design and construct a suit of powered armor — an iron exoskeleton that gives Stark tremendous strength as well as other abilities — that will not only keep Stark's heart beating, but also allow him to escape. Yin Sen sacrifices himself to buy Stark time to charge the bulky suit of armor, and as Iron Man, Stark kills Wong Chu and his men. On the way back, Iron Man encounters a wounded American Air Force helicopter pilot, Jim Rhodes. Introducing himself as Stark's bodyguard, Iron Man and Rhodes manage to defend themselves against the pursuing North Vietnamese before making it back to American lines. On his return to the US, Stark continues to improve the armor, establishing a dual identity as the adventurer and superhero Iron Man. He also greatly expands his father's company, Stark Industries, eventually renaming it Stark International.

This is the general idea, plus it's getting updated to the gulf war or something

DrIanMalcolm on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007

with a lot of pinching in uncomfortable places

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    SASA Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I am super excited for this.

SA on
    WoW: Revash (Cho'Gall)
    3DS: 5241-1953-7031
  • Options
    Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

drunk off of his ass

Skull Man on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    hey i have a suit like that

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    SASA Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Tony's latest design has all the pieces automatically attach to him using a super cool electromagnetic field.

SA on
    WoW: Revash (Cho'Gall)
    3DS: 5241-1953-7031
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Skull Man wrote: »

drunk off of his ass

Being drunk does seem to make people more flexible.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    t Jordyn probably the same way dudes used to get into suits of armor back in the old days

Weaver on
  • Options
    CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    t Weaver call your son

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    UNIBEAM

UNIBEAM

SMART BOMB

SMART BOMB

Captain K on
  • Options
    ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I like the job they did on it.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Callius wrote: »
    t Weaver call your son

will do after I get home

Weaver on
  • Options
    Tony StarkTony Stark Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

You have no idea.

Tony Stark on
  • Options
    CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Weaver wrote: »
    will do after I get home
    H5(n1)

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    OP updated w/ teaser poster and first pics of Robert Downey Jr. as Stark and Paltrow as Pepper Potts

DrIanMalcolm on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Tony Stark wrote: »

You have no idea.
    Dear Tony Stark,

Stop being a dick.

XOXOXO

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I really like how the abdomen looks like several different pieces welded together instead of just a single plate.

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    t Jordyn probably the same way dudes used to get into suits of armor back in the old days

But he doesn't have a sidekick to put it on for him.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Quetzi wrote: »

But he doesn't have a sidekick to put it on for him.

What

he has employees and everyone knows that he is Iron Man anyways

it's like, "Hey guys, who wants to earn some overtime tonight and help me put this suit on?"

then all the cute receptionists fight over who gets to do it

sometimes

sometimes he lets two of them get the overtime

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

You have no idea.
    Dear Tony Stark,

Stop being a dick.

XOXOXO

Dear Internet Nerd,

I've got the money, I've got the technology, I can do whatever I want.

keeses

Tony Stark on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    yes highly advanced "being a dick" technology.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    yes highly advanced "being a dick" technology.

I want some of that

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

You have no idea.
    Dear Tony Stark,

Stop being a dick.

XOXOXO

Dear Internet Nerd,

keeses

Re: Tony Stark

I've got the pictures

ironboystage1a.jpg

hugz

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I (I)

AM (AM)

IIIIiiiironMAAAAAAAN

Ranced on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

You have no idea.
    Dear Tony Stark,

Stop being a dick.

XOXOXO

Dear Internet Nerd,

keeses

I've got the pictures

hugz

RE: Internet Nerd

I own the press.

<3

Tony Stark on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

You have no idea.
    Dear Tony Stark,

Stop being a dick.

XOXOXO

Dear Internet Nerd,

keeses

I've got the pictures

hugz

RE: Internet Nerd

I own the press.

<3

Well, shit.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    AibynAibyn Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Anyone else read that title as "PROTEIN CANNON!" ? No? Just me? Damn. Fuck you Freud.

As for the movie i cant wait, I know its been said before, but getting a substance abusing actor, to play a character who abuses substances...fucking A!

Wonder what villian they will throw at him. Prolly not Fing Fang Foom for awhile....though what'd be cool is if they can get War Machine in there. I dont care how, cause War Machine is pure win.

Aibyn on
    "Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon..."

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)
    11737_c4020a74dc025a53.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    The villian is AA meetings.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
This discussion has been closed.