As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[nfl] THIS THREAD IS AS DEAD AS YOUR TEAMS PLAYOFF HOPES!

• Options
    JakarrdJakarrd In the belly of OklahomaRegistered User regular
    Jakarrd wrote: »
    Miami, 2-2, in a three way tie for lead in AFC East. I can handle that!

Now if we could wash out Joe Philbin and get a new coach in...

Interested in a moron who plays his QB with a concussion? He already basically works for Stephen Ross anyway...

No thank you. It's bad enough with legit injuries. I don't need a coach that doesn't know if a woozy player should go back in since said woozy player just wants to shake it off and go back in. >_>;

Any updates on that, btw?

Greetings Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada.

76561197990097905.png
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Miami, 2-2, in a three way tie for lead in AFC East. I can handle that!

Now if we could wash out Joe Philbin and get a new coach in...

Interested in a moron who plays his QB with a concussion? He already basically works for Stephen Ross anyway...

No thank you. It's bad enough with legit injuries. I don't need a coach that doesn't know if a woozy player should go back in since said woozy player just wants to shake it off and go back in. >_>;

Any updates on that, btw?

Concussion confirmed tonight in a statement released to the press at 1 AM local time. Swear I'm not making that up.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    r4dr3zr4dr3z Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    We put it off for a long time, and I've said it a bunch of times and been wrong, but this is probably the death knell of Tom Brady's career and by extension the 13 years of patriot dominance

It depends on if Brady is self-aware enough to retire or if Kraft has a the cajones to release Brady.

Without either you could be stuck with Brady for another 3 years or so. Ask a Packer fan how fun that can be.

Pro tip: It's not fun at all.

Until Brady joins the Dolphins and takes them to the AFCCG? That would be the equivalent of Favre. GB did leave some left in the tank before giving up on Favre - Rodgers was just that good.

• Options
    Put Brady on this year's Chicago Bears with all their starters healthy on offense. Tell me he couldn't beat Aaron Rodgers.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    http://youtu.be/kJBKyTfCjCc

That Chiefs/Patriots score might be one of the better things I've woken up to in a good long while.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    r4dr3z wrote: »
    Put Brady on this year's Chicago Bears with all their starters healthy on offense. Tell me he couldn't beat Aaron Rodgers.

I bet Brady will end up in San Fran, once Harbaugh gets railroaded by Management and Kapernick's ego crashes and burns him.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    r4dr3z wrote: »
    Veevee wrote: »
    We put it off for a long time, and I've said it a bunch of times and been wrong, but this is probably the death knell of Tom Brady's career and by extension the 13 years of patriot dominance

It depends on if Brady is self-aware enough to retire or if Kraft has a the cajones to release Brady.

Without either you could be stuck with Brady for another 3 years or so. Ask a Packer fan how fun that can be.

Pro tip: It's not fun at all.

Until Brady joins the Dolphins and takes them to the AFCCG? That would be the equivalent of Favre. GB did leave some left in the tank before giving up on Favre - Rodgers was just that good.

Now that you mention it, it really was a lot of fun in the end.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0UUeqvquXZI

Fun fact: My girlfriends previous boyfriend was a viking fan and at that moment he threw a book and hit her in the face. They broke up a couple days later. So, I guess I really can't be too mad over the whole Benedict Arnold impersonation.

• Options
    Green Bay had to suffer through all of 2 quarters of poor QB play between Favre leaving and Rodgers taking over. Cry me a river.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Ticaldfjam wrote: »

Its the death kneel of both Brady and Manning. They are just simply too old to evade when the pocket breaks down. When you are going against younger, faster, and stronger defenses, whom were created and designed to combat Brady and Manning's dominance of the last decade, these are the results of "father time" we are currently seeing in the two hall of famers.

But no doubt ESPN and the, "back in My NFL day" crowd will blame everyone else except Brady and Manning.

I honestly don't think that's the problem, at all

Manning is still fine

Brady hasn't had an accurate deep ball in years, his flaws have just been covered up

Remove the things helping through gronk injuries, Welker leaving, Hernandez murdering people, and an especially weak offensive line, and you get what you see now

All takes to beat the patriots right now is a strong defensive line

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    So are we not gonna talk about a Muslim getting flagged for praying in the endzone?

That was a total bullshit call, the way the ref described it, it sounds like going to your knees period is a 15 yarder now.

The celebrations with props or a shit load of choreography I can see being flags, but not what Abdullah did. If you're going to flag that, flag every dude that points to the sky or makes the sign of the cross after a big play.

Lambeau Leap as well...

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    So are we not gonna talk about a Muslim getting flagged for praying in the endzone?

That was a total bullshit call, the way the ref described it, it sounds like going to your knees period is a 15 yarder now.

The celebrations with props or a shit load of choreography I can see being flags, but not what Abdullah did. If you're going to flag that, flag every dude that points to the sky or makes the sign of the cross after a big play.

Sure, but was he facing Mecca? Pretty sure what he was doing would probably be a no-no within Islam itself. (Not a 'clean' area, no prayer rug, etc.) Sure, there are allowances for situations, but I don't think there is one for 'did a thing at a sporting event'.

But yeah, I caught that at the time, too. We'll see what happens.

• Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    The "going to your knees in celebration" isn't even a new rule. Jared Allen was told year ago to stop his cow roping sack celebration for the same reason. The problem is that it's not enforced consistently. One of the Eagles did the exact same celebration Sunday and didn't get a flag.

Edit: And apparently there's a religion exemption to the rule, which is why Tebow didn't get 15 every time he did it, so this is an "oops" for the officiating crew. But, considering how shit the refs have been this year, it's really no surprise.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Man, I have never been happier to lose points in pick 'em!

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Bounce back game for the spaniels

Also @Thomamelas‌ bwhahahaha

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    Bounce back game for the spaniels

Also @Thomamelas‌ bwhahahaha

Eh, they got me 25 points one game. Something like this was bound to happen.

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    my team's running back situation is so dire, which I think opens me up a lot more to chance than I would like otherwise. Not that all of this isn't chance, but yeah, a running back that gets 20 to 25 carries a game is going to be way more reliable than even really good receivers.

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular

Sure, but was he facing Mecca? Pretty sure what he was doing would probably be a no-no within Islam itself. (Not a 'clean' area, no prayer rug, etc.) Sure, there are allowances for situations, but I don't think there is one for 'did a thing at a sporting event'.

The NFL just just released a statement admitting that there should not have been a flag on the play. As far as I am concerned, this issue has been dealt with properly.

And, it's not uncommon to see Muslim athletes celebrating like this on the field. During the World Cup, there were definitely a few goals celebrated in the same way. I highly doubt it's that big of a deal to anyone.

• Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    quovadis13 wrote: »

The NFL just just released a statement admitting that there should not have been a flag on the play. As far as I am concerned, this issue has been dealt with properly.

And, it's not uncommon to see Muslim athletes celebrating like this on the field. During the World Cup, there were definitely a few goals celebrated in the same way. I highly doubt it's that big of a deal to anyone.

Well some corners of the Internet were glad to see it. Because now other religions can share the pain that Christians have been made to endure!

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    Wasn't to Abdullah. He said he thought the flag was for sliding, he shouldn't have done that part, he was just too amped up.

When he came to the sideline, Andy Reid told him he can't slide like that.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    I get the darkest of jollies when I see the NFL slip up on stuff but I think they properly remedied the celebration thing and think it was an honest mistake on the part of the refs

Now if we're talking offending religions, let's just examine the iconoclasm of brady

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    I'm not even sure I understand why being on your knees is a penalty. You can do all sorts of shit while celebrating; why's going to your knees especially bad?

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    I think it's highly unfair that the Patriots will get two ridiculously good looking franchise QBs back to back

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    I can't believe how tight the standings are in Rare With No Sauce. The 4th-8th ranked teams are all 2-2 with a total difference of less than 15 points. Between 2nd and 8th place, there is a difference of merely 20 points. Crazy!

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    I think it's highly unfair that the Patriots will get two ridiculously good looking franchise QBs back to back

It'll be 3 once I come out of retirement and take a few snaps when I'm 33

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    i'm actually mad at how handsome jimmy garoppolo is commensurate to his name

matt leinart and brady quinn have hott names - good, strapping, WASPy names

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    I'm not even sure I understand why being on your knees is a penalty. You can do all sorts of shit while celebrating; why's going to your knees especially bad?
    For me, I'd prefer he not go sliding around like that because weird shit happens and I wouldn't want him to mess up his knees.

He's a pretty good safety.

Just stop and get down on your knees without the flourish, please.

edit: I kinda misread what you said, but still.

mcp on
  • Options
    lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular

I'm guessing the thought process is that going to your knees is always counter-productive toward getting off the field. It's a clear cut example of celebratory behavior that doesn't require any judgement to call.

...Except that the ref has to decide the mental state (religious) of the player doing the act.

I would download a car.
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I can't believe how tight the standings are in Rare With No Sauce. The 4th-8th ranked teams are all 2-2 with a total difference of less than 15 points. Between 2nd and 8th place, there is a difference of merely 20 points. Crazy!

I have squeaked a number of wins in order to rest in second at the moment. Last night was the tightest though... thank god for Gronk and garbage time!

• Options
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Dennis Allen is now actually fired, so there's your next coach Michigan!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    Well, he does know how to treat an injured QB. Let them come off the field, but only under their own power.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Gyral wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Well, he does know how to treat an injured QB. Let them come off the field, but only under their own power.

Let em walk it off for a bit, throw some dirt on it, then let em back on the field.

• Options
    I do love how during the hawks preseason games Boeing was all over them with their ads about how pacific northwest and connected to washington state and the seahawks they are. News this morning they are shipping 2k jobs to oklahoma. What a bunch of rat fucks.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Eventually, everything from Seattle will end up in Oklahoma. :P

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

Truly the power of Oklahoma suction is just that strong.

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular

Dude.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    why do the Raiders even bother firing coaches? No decent coach ever wants to work there. maybe that's changed now that Al Davis is in the ground but I doubt it.

• Options
    The illusion of doing something.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Undead Al Davis is still a better owner than his son. Though, for the sake of consistency, this is the third coach they fired after four games into the season (Shanahan, Kiffin).

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    I saw an internet dating profile where someone said they were a Raiders fan.

I moved on...

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche