As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's punch people in the [Character Action Game] thread!

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Wyborn you appear to have linked me an anime music video

here is a sword with which you must commit seppukku

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    What good would it do

I'm already dead

Inside

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Wyborn wrote: »
    What good would it do

I'm already dead

Inside

oh no I made you sad

WYBORN

ZELDA

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Man I was going to try out this Open Broadcaster Software but the setup tutorial on Twitch looks complicated

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Man I was going to try out this Open Broadcaster Software but the setup tutorial on Twitch looks complicated

For PC its super, super easy dude

Hell I figured it out

If you wait a couple hours I can help you figure it out on skype or something but just watch a video or even download it and poke around and you should be able to figure it out

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    What good would it do

I'm already dead

Inside

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8qG4AlK1qk

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    the end of the legend of korra quick look is great

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    the end of the legend of korra quick look is great

"Hey Jason can you edit out the part where I said you were really good at video games"

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Did it impact your opinion of the game?

• Options
    Javen wrote: »
    Did it impact your opinion of the game?

what is the 'it' you are referring to

• Options

Let's see if I can make this thing work

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Radius wrote: »
    So I have half a bag of Pizza Rolls in my freezer...

what's your opinion on the star wars prequel trilogy

Podracing is sweet, John Williams write some pretty good music even though he is retreading ground a lot these days, Ewan McGregor deserves an award for trying to save those films, Mace Windu got fucking punked.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    I have confirmed I can theoretically figure out how to Twitch

Also that my muscle memory for Revengeance - and Armstrong on Revengeance in particular - has evaporated

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    I doubt mine has.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    What is this hidden history with chincy you all keep referring to. I'm insanely curious.
    Is he my alter ego or something.
    Or my opposite number?

Do we dance the grim fandango in the music of the spheres?
    I have no idea what that means either I just typed it and then decided I liked the look of it.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    I have confirmed I can theoretically figure out how to Twitch

Also that my muscle memory for Revengeance - and Armstrong on Revengeance in particular - has evaporated

I mean you did immediately jump into one of the hardest things in the game

• Options
    He does that.

• Options
    Do I dodge with RT NO WAIT WRONG GAME BLAGH

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Light attack + jump remember

I do that sometimes when I switch games. Takes a little while to work the kinks out.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Well yes I remember now

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
  • Options
    I just played the W101 final vorkken fight (I think? chapter 6) and I actually think I kind of hate this game

I can't stand how long it takes to do EVERYTHING

get hit, run around and get your guys

can't just switch styles, gotta draw a big thing

dodge too many times? you have no energy, now your fight will take longer cause you can't do power attacks

I think I understand what they were going for but its just so, so frustrating to play and most of all none of it matters because I can just push buttons until the badguy falls down and its so infuriating

I really really wanted to like this game and I kept trying and beating my head against it and its really really bumming me out I dislike it so much

I'm also not sure I can really put it away cause I feel like that's letting it beat me even though I know thats stupid

• Options
    wyborn you threw him in the deep end

what have i told you about doing that

• Options
    Here is how you beat Vorkken. I am going to tell you ohw to do it, but only if you want me to. Would you like me to? I can.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    I beat vorkken

I hit the button until he fell down

it took 30 minutes cause he had 20 health bars and every time he hit me I had to run around and then I ran out of battery juice and uuuuuuuuugh

• Options
    Okay listen here is how you do it easy. OK? THis will be fast, and it will be brutal.

Actually there are two ways. One is "right", the other is dirty but a lot easier.

Whenever you counter a guy with Unite Guts, assuming you have the spike upgrade for it, fills up your draw meter. This is a big deal.

When you are in Vorkken's face, he will almost exclusively use either Unite Hand or Unite Hammer. These are the two attacks you can get him with. If he uses either of these two, use Unite Guts. It will send his entire team flying, damage him, refill your meter, and leave him defenseless. Get out Unite Hand and beat him to death. You can pound through a bar and a half or more in seconds because Unite Hand is just so god damn powerful.

Everything else? Dodge and get into his face to bait out the Hammer or the Hand.

The other thing you can do is to buy the upgrade where your wonder liner damages enemies. Draw your line through Vorkken's crowd, and kablammo: free energy in slow motion. This is the dirty way to do it, and also the way I beat him the first time because the final Vorkken battle is god damn monstrous unless your'e really comfortable with fighting him.

If you have the cash for it (or make a credit card with thirty of each vegetable) then buy the Wonder Power/Badge/Whatever that lets you hold A to increase the size of your unite morph. It's slower than drawing but more energy efficient, and you can still get it to maximum size and lay into him before he has time to recover after you've used Unite Guts.

That is the secret.

There is one more secret but you really don't want to hear it.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    ...Also if you have the Hero Time power you get Bayonetta's Witch Time/Viewtiful Joe's Slow-Mo whenever you dodge an enemy's attack, which makes a guy who hits as often as Vorkken does into something of a joke. (this isn't the secret you wouldn't want to hear)

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    arg arg arg can't read can't read stop reading

i had to wrench my eyes off the screen

what are you doing i haven't played it yet

*glares*

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVjjPbQMpFA

Also that may be the most legit battle theme in a CAG I've ever played.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    just a quick, genuine request, no funny business

i can accept that you aren't going to spoiler tag boss strategies

but i do like to try to beat them the first time on my own

so if you could just make it super clear at the start of your posts whenever you talk about a boss like you did just now i will be careful to skip those posts

im getting 101 either around christmas or early next year

i would be very grateful

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Like the thing is

he isn't difficult

nothing in the game is

there is no challenge

there's just patience and realizing everything is going to take 10 times as long as it should

• Options
    Yeah Morninglord I'll do that.

Chincy, if you do that thing I said you'll beat him in like three minutes. I think you know, intellectually, that the game's fights don't take as long to beat as it's taking you if you throw yourself at them in the right way. They're more puzzles than anything else. The key to beating Vorkken is just
    using Unite Guts on his fist or his hammer

But, there is one more option

ms0R3Ub.jpg

I'm not being facetious and I'm not being mean; if you don't like how the game is doing, play it on Very Easy. Turn on the option/equip the item to to sickhouse combos automatically.

The game does not get easier from here. It gets harder. ANd harder. And harder. And harder. There is one sequence just before the ultra final battle that is well-designed but it may make you eat your controller in fury. Turn down the difficulty.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    .... Is your normal reaction to anger to eat the thing you are angry at

• Options
    I used to have another sibling

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    You say "You can mash to beat it." but also "It takes too long to do that".

Clearly you value time. So in that case, doesn't that imply that just mashing to beat it is not, in fact, enough and you would be better off learning the mechanics so it does not take so long?

There are multiple ways to present a baseline against which players can compare their current skills in order to improve them. You can have the difficulty be so high that if you do not do things properly you die. That's one way. Failure to progress. Get better or its over.
    Or you can have a more lenient punishment system where the primary focus is on rewarding you for doing it right. Positive reinforcement. Become Wonderful.

Platinum usually straddles an interesting line that mixes up these two approaches in their games and sometimes they achieve a kind of zen like balance that has broad appeal (Bayonetta, for example). But they also make games where the focus is very much on the former (eg Godhand) or the latter.
    It sounds like 101 is the latter.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    I understand positive reinforcement

making defeat literally not matter in any way, without even a checkpoint reset, is far too much

It makes nothing have any consequence

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    There is a consequence you just dont care about the consequence

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Bleh sorry I should just put the damned thing away I don't know why I'm letting it frustrate me so much

• Options
    Chincy I'm well past telling you to have fun with the game; this is the point where I encourage you to put it down

The thing here is that you're actively refusing to engage with it. By dismissing the game because of its lack of a hard failure state, you've also refused to learn any of the systems that make the gameplay fun or engaging. I could tell you how to approach a fight, I could show you how to approach a fight with a video of me beating a hard battle in a stupidly short amount of time with soothing narration, and you would still reject the thing you're being shown because "there is no difficulty" and you can beat the whole game by mashing attack, which, technically true or not, results in you having a very slow, frustrating experience. You hold up this slowness and frustration as justification for not learning the game's systems, which perpetuates the cycle of un-fun.

It's kind of boggling to watch

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    There's no shame in that you know. The point of playing games is to have fun after all.
    If you aren't, and you can't change things so you can, why are you playing?

Morninglord on