As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's punch people in the [Character Action Game] thread!

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Chincy I'm well past telling you to have fun with the game; this is the point where I encourage you to put it down

The thing here is that you're actively refusing to engage with it. By dismissing the game because of its lack of a hard failure state, you've also refused to learn any of the systems that make the gameplay fun or engaging. I could tell you how to approach a fight, I could show you how to approach a fight with a video of me beating a hard battle in a stupidly short amount of time with soothing narration, and you would still reject the thing you're being shown because "there is no difficulty" and you can beat the whole game by mashing attack, which, technically true or not, results in you having a very slow, frustrating experience. You hold up this slowness and frustration as justification for not learning the game's systems, which perpetuates the cycle of un-fun.

It's kind of boggling to watch

This is what happens when I want to like a thing really badly but dont, it just makes me upset

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Do you realize you're doing it, though

Do you realize you're sabotaging your enjoyment by refusing to do anything except mash A

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    He probably does.

It sounds like the no death thing is hard to get over.

I can relate. If there's no death at all in any meaningful sense I have to find other things to prolong my enjoyment. It just happens that I really enjoy figuring out game mechanics, I'll spend hours just comboing a wall.

If the game doesn't have mechanics I enjoy and also is too easy, I lose interest. Even if I want to like it.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    I mean I can beat pokemon by just using weedle the entire time

Doesn't mean I should

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    I beat ff8 by turning squall into a renzokuken generating machine and using basically nothing but renzokuken on every enemy.

doesn't mean I

WAIT YES IT DOES

THAT WAS AWESOME

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I beat ff8 by turning squall into a renzokuken generating machine and using basically nothing but renzokuken on every enemy.

doesn't mean I

WAIT YES IT DOES

THAT WAS AWESOME

Yepppp this is pretty much what I did my first time through

I also equipped every GF to Squall

Squall was a God at the party's expense

Didn't even care

• Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    See I'm pretty sure that game wants you to just grossly overpower your dudes and Abuse the fuck out of the junction and card/item into magic system

• Options
    Do you realize you're doing it, though

Do you realize you're sabotaging your enjoyment by refusing to do anything except mash A

Here's what happens

I start a mission trying my hardest

At some point I get killed

This is such a huge dock to my points that it's no longer possible to get anything other than "consolation"

I'm not going to replay the level though, so I just grind out the rest of the thing pretty much hating it

So... sort of, yeah, I get that I'm part of the problem

But the game asks either for a level of perfection I can't achieve to even rate me (dont die once in the mission to even get a bronze), or just lets me go through it without penalty once I die

It is a perfect storm of systems to discourage me as hard as possible from trying to get better

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Dudes?

I just had a dude who guarded him and someone to toss phoenix downs on him and cast that buff that improves your limit break chance.

He spent the entire game in critical health, because having that buff plus critical health guarantees a renzokuken every turn. Or every check you did. I can't remember how you gamed it.

He'd effortfully raise himself off one knee, shoulder his sword, obliterate some fools, and then drop back down again.

If he got taken down by an aoe he'd end up at critical health again from the phoenix down. That was the third persons entire job.

But I digress.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Dying subtracts one level of reward from your final tally

If you were going to get Gold, you'd get Silver, etc.

But that's not important

The point is that you are absolutely, one hundred percent doing this to yourself at this point, and it's time to either shit or get off the pot

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Also to this day the renzokuken he does against bahumet is still one of my favorite video game animations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXecUP2uA6Q

• Options
    The bayonetta 2 demo is very good.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Whoa, there have been some emotions in the CAG thread over the past day or so.

• Options
    Dying subtracts one level of reward from your final tally

If you were going to get Gold, you'd get Silver, etc.

But that's not important

The point is that you are absolutely, one hundred percent doing this to yourself at this point, and it's time to either shit or get off the pot

I flipped it over to super easy. For whatever reason I feel compelled to finish the game.
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Whoa, there have been some emotions in the CAG thread over the past day or so.

Yeah I'm not gonna lie I've been going through some personal stuff and I let it affect my posting, not just in this thread. Sorry for being so grumpy

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    @Chincymcchilla‌ sorry to hear it dude. Hope you feel better soonish.

• Options

Bleh

Its one of those things where I didn't even realize how much stress I was under until it just sorta broke

A huge list of shit went wrong this week and I didn't even feel that upset, and then my Onkyo receiver stopped working in the middle of watching something with ms chilla and I sat there trying to fix it for an hour and she said "honey its not a big deal"

And I was like "No, I have to fix it"

When she asked why I was like oh shit, so much has been going wrong I'm making a stand on trying to fix a shitty 5 year old receiver

anyway, venting

Being an adult totally sucks sometimes

lets all play video games and watch cartoons

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    So I made the mistake of reading this thread and now my hype for Bayonetta 2 has risen from its grave, which is bad since I don't have a WiiU. Instead I went and got another copy of Bayonetta 1 since I was stupid and traded my original away.

I'm also playing the Korra game and it is so much better now that I have fire and air. I'm enjoying them way more than earth and water.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular

Bleh

Its one of those things where I didn't even realize how much stress I was under until it just sorta broke

A huge list of shit went wrong this week and I didn't even feel that upset, and then my Onkyo receiver stopped working in the middle of watching something with ms chilla and I sat there trying to fix it for an hour and she said "honey its not a big deal"

When she asked why I was like oh shit, so much has been going wrong I'm making a stand on trying to fix a shitty 5 year old receiver

anyway, venting

The line must be drawn here
    This far, no further!

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Bayonetta 2 demo pretty good

gonna die a lot on them games yes indeed

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    i feel like i don't really get bayonetta's combat

like the furthest my understanding goes is

-dodge to get into witch time
    -button mash until i get some wicked weaves going
    -repeat

and based on how much i'm dying i'm obviously doing it wrong

• Options
    edited October 2014
    I've just been super duper hyper because KORRA which has bled into everything I posted most likely.

I'm always like this when I get a new game. Like you think I was volatile then you wait till bayonetta 2 comes out I'll be like that noisy kid with all the red cordials.

Just tell me to settle if I'm being a pain.

Bleh

anyway, venting

Sorry to hear that man. Hope things turn out better for you.

Morninglord on
  • Options

-repeat

Buy the relic that lets you counter homies by hitting the stick in the direction of their attack at the instant they attack

You can do some sickhouse shit with that, and it blocks damn near everything

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

-repeat

It's all about using the 'dodge offset' technique.

Hold down the attack button while dodging, then release the attack button and press the next button in your combo sequence to have your dodge not break your progress in your current combo. Then you get wicked weave a lot more often.

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »

-repeat

It's all about using the 'dodge offset' technique.

Hold down the attack button while dodging, then release the attack button and press the next button in your combo sequence to have your dodge not break your progress in your current combo. Then you get wicked weave a lot more often.

This and understanding the properties of the different weapons. Onyx Roses(the shotguns you get as the first weapon) do sickhouse damage if you hold the attack button to take the shot at point-blank range. Shuraba(sword) doesn't really gain anything by holding attacks, but the PKP Shuraba basic combo does a huge vertical Wicked Weave slice that slaughters most enemies. Kulshedra(whip) can pull enemies in and let you swing them around or pull yourself to them depending on what you do with the control stick if you hold the attack, and it has some amazing stun properties that help you control swarms of angels. Durga drops mines and does slow/heavy hits in Fire and goes quick/light with an AOE stun in Lightning mode. Etc, etc, etc.

Learn your bread and butter combos(PKP, PPKKK, PPPKKK) and how they work with your favorite weapons and what helps you murder Grace and Glories and Fairness/Fearless because those are the most annoying enemies by far.

• Options
    I'll tell you what kills G&G and F&F

GRIT

AND MEANNESS

MY NAME IS TOPH BECAUSE IT SOUNDS LIKE TOUGH

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Shurubra does a large aoe damage slash when you let go of it after holding it. It will hold your combo while charging and you can dodge offset and panther within around to deliver the slash. It does a lot of damage.
    It has two charge levels and the highest level will one shot all basic enemies and do heavy damage to anything else.
    On normal at least doing a split second charge will allow you to hit multiple times, once with the slash, second time with the aoe iato. It'll also stun lock a lot of enemies, although that falls off in higher difficulties, the split second one isn't enough anymore.

• Options
    Shurubra does a large aoe damage slash when you let go of it after holding it. It will hold your combo while charging and you can dodge offset and panther within around to deliver the slash. It does a lot of damage.
    It has two charge levels and the highest level will one shot all basic enemies and do heavy damage to anything else.
    On normal at least doing a split second charge will allow you to hit multiple times, once with the slash, second time with the aoe iato. It'll also stun lock a lot of enemies, although that falls off in higher difficulties, the split second one isn't enough anymore.

But it takes so looooooooong and that's time I could be using to muuuuuuuurder waaaaaah.

I've been doing Onyx Roses/Odette and Kulshedra/Durga on my latest playthrough to try and get the most out of them since I was being super lazy with Shuraba last time I played the game.

• Options
    The split second slash takes no time at all for free damage. You only need a couple of frames to get it out.

• Options
    Hrrm, maybe I should try that then. I'm a sucker for maximum slashing, though.

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    :winky:

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Hm, messed around on my friends copy of Korra and for whatever reason I am not really feeling it. It lacks that somethin' somethin' that other platinum games have. I dunno, I will play it some more down the road, maybe it will grip me yet.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Just finished Korra.

I like it, and I think the combat's good, but I can see where the 6.5s and 7s come from. Not the threes, though.
    Also, Bolin in the credits is the best.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RK-6EnHlzM&feature=youtu.be

This is a combo system breakdown I did. Going into bend switching in the middle of your combo.

I actually missed something. Switching after heavy combos will make the next one come out much faster. Damn.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    alright, beat Jeanne for what i assume to be the last time

so far i don't think anything's topped death by urethra bullet explosion

but the motorcylce with the middle finger ignition wasn't too shabby neither

probably finish up tomorrow and then friday is bayonetta 2 day yayyyy

• Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    Well, I tried to play W101 again. Sadly I'm giving up. I'm sure there's fun to be had there, but my brain just can't adjust to the scale. Pieces are parts feel like a fun character action game but I just can't get over the camera/perspective/inability to focus on a single figure. Movement just doesn't feel like my brain is telling me it should for the genre I'm playing.

Bayo 2 demo however... that's good shit. Super excited for that to show up on my doorstep.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    W101 kind of makes me hate it whenever it does something other than the combat

The traversal stuff or like when it turns into a shooter just don't feel good to me, as much as I appreciate the attempts to keep the gameplay fresh

The exception of course is the punch out boss

• Options
    I was just thinking how much better W101 does that stuff compared to Bayonetta, actually...

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

Bleh

anyway, venting

The line must be drawn here
    This far, no further!

This was essentially my thinking

Feeling better now that I've slept on it thanks guys

• Options
    I'm going to not yell at inanimate objects today!

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    I'm going to not yell at inanimate objects today!

I, on the other hand, am going to emotionally destroy this lamp.

It knows what it did.

X22wmuF.jpg