As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's punch people in the [Character Action Game] thread!

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Diarmuid wrote: »
    Man, I don't have either of the new consoles yet.

But I'm already getting bummed out by the amount of 'remasters' that are being shoved onto them.

I don't really get this.

Maybe its because I've been through a lot of console cycles but the first year is always pretty much like this.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Yeah, the 360 was like this too

It just meant I got to play a prettier version of King Kong, since Kameo wasn't doing shit for me

But hey, I'm sure it's a nice little influx of cash on a property while they work on proper follow-ups, and if you're a big enough fan of those games you might be into playing the gussied-up version with new bells and whistles

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Really? I think this is fairly unique to last couple of generations.

I don't remember any PS1 games being redone for the PS2 off-hand.

Why would they? You could just stick a PS1 disc into the thing.

Diarmuid on
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    It doesn't seem like that many

Tomb Raider
    Sleeping Dogs
    TLOU
    Ultra Street Fighter 4
    DmC
    DMC4
    FFX/X-2
    Halo MCC
    Resident Evil?

Looking over that list, it's Capcom and Square that are the most port happy

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I want there to be more of them

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Really? I think this is fairly unique to last couple of generations.

I don't remember any PS1 games being redone for the PS2 off-hand.

Why would they? You could just stick a PS1 disc into the thing.

You could also play PS2 classics on the PS3, but they pushed out a bunch of remasters for that too

• Options
    HD collections/remasters are something that I hope does not go away

I like looking at my PS3 shelf and seeing a bunch of prettier versions of some of the best PS2 games there. Ico/SOTC, Ratchet and Clank Collection, The Sly Collection, Jak and Daxter Collection, God of War Saga, Kingdom Hearts 1.5/2.5, FFX/X-2

Prettier versions of games I love for reasonable prices is a really cool trend. It's when the prices are unreasonable is when they're a bummer.

That said, I picked up Sleeping Dogs for PS4 for $30 on Black Friday and I am very happy that port exists, because I wanted to play it again but did not want to deal with playing 360 again (and the PS3 version is kinda butts)

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    This is pretty much the first year of consoles:

Up-ports
    Shitty quick cashgrabs
    Games that were originally slated for the last generation that got extra time so they could get released on both

Years 2 and 3 are usually when things start getting interesting.

• Options
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    It doesn't seem like that many

Tomb Raider
    Sleeping Dogs
    TLOU
    Ultra Street Fighter 4
    DmC
    DMC4
    FFX/X-2
    Halo MCC
    Resident Evil?

Looking over that list, it's Capcom and Square that are the most port happy

Dark Souls 2

I'm pretty sure there's a couple more as well.

• Options
    Saints Row IV is coming in January as well

• Options
    edited December 2014
    It's the lowest risk purchase imaginable

I already know The Last of Us and Tomb Raider are awesome, because I played them

Now you're telling me they can look way nicer and with a bunch of DLC added in?

Don't mind if I do

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Honestly. I would say that the reason the DmC and DMC4 ports interest me is because of the gameplay tweaks/additions.

Usually not that big on up-ports unless I haven't played the game in some years.

• Options
    Dark Souls 2 is totally a cashgrab. I think Namco just looked at Bloodborne and were like 'oh shit there's a way we can sell something to disgruntled Xbox One users who can't play this'

Saints Row IV also has that new campaign, so it's not just a remaster

• Options
    I'm not entirely against them, I'll probably end up with GTAV, Dark Souls and maybe Sleeping Dogs when I get a PS4

But generally I'd rather play something I haven't played before.

• Options
    Dark Cloud Collection please

Gitaroo-Man HD please

PARAPPA HD PLEASE

• Options
    And yeah, I don't care how many they make as long as they're good. Give me MGS Legacy on PS4 and ZOE Collection again

• Options
    I'm currently dying to play the Mass Effect trilogy again, but I won't do it because I know the second I do they'll announce the inevitable collection of all 3 games for PS4 and Xbox One

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    And yeah, I don't care how many they make as long as they're good. Give me MGS Legacy on PS4 and ZOE Collection again

So I forget, both versions of ZoE collection had issues at launch, right?

But one of them got patched?

Is the PS3 version fine? Because it's like $8 at Wal-Mart used

• Options
    Yeah. I kind of want them to re-release the Mass Effect series because I would love to play ME3MP again but I am lazy and don't feel like having to bring out my 360 just to play that.

• Options

PS3 version got a fairly substantial patch, I think it fixed most of the problems.

• Options

PS3 version got patched, 360 version got left out in the cold iirc

• Options
    Actually, I'd totally buy Vanquish and Bayonetta again.

Come on, do something right for once Sega.

• Options

Bayonetta got an HD rerelease

on Wii U

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »

Bayonetta got an HD rerelease

on Wii U

Valkyria Chronicles got an HD re-release on PC

• Options
    In a just world we'd see a VC collection on PS4

But

We live here instead

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    So Devil May Cry 4 is getting a special edition

Seven years after the initial release

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    In a just world we'd see a VC collection on PS4

But

We live here instead

In the alternate universe version of a just world where we're getting both Grim Fandango and Day of the Tentacle remastered

• Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    So Devil May Cry 4 is getting a special edition

Seven years after the initial release

Yeah it's pretty nuts

The more I think about it the more I'm wondering what they're actually going to do. If they just took Vergil from 3 and made him hd and let you play through the campaign with him that would be pretty lame.

I mean I'd still buy it but I wouldn't be super happy about it.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    A lot of games end up with budget considerations forcing them to cut back features, so I like these kinds of things because then you can see stuff added that wasn't there originally and they can be really good additions that really change a game experience.
    It can be like an author going back and rewriting an old story, you can get something neat.

Course they can also be basically nothing special, but that's a case by case thing.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    So when is Kamiya going to make a game comprised entirely of boss fights against a rival character who has all the same powers as you

Cause that's clearly what he's best at and it's the best part of all of his games

Vergil, Alastor/Captain Blue, Vorkken, Masked Lumen

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    So, Revengeance mode.

One thing I tend to hate about CAGs on high difficulty levels, is that the 'optimum' way usually involves exploiting a small number of certain moves/combos. Is that also true for MGR?

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    So when is Kamiya going to make a game comprised entirely of boss fights against a rival character who has all the same powers as you

Cause that's clearly what he's best at and it's the best part of all of his games

Vergil, Alastor/Captain Blue, Vorkken, Masked Lumen

He didn't direct Bayo 2. He only helped write scenario and did most of the dialogue.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Javen wrote: »
    So, Revengeance mode.

One thing I tend to hate about CAGs on high difficulty levels, is that the 'optimum' way usually involves exploiting a small number of certain moves/combos. Is that also true for MGR?

Yes and no.
    Yes in that parry counter is godlike.
    No in that relying on it for S ranks is not as easy as it first appears because it kills most things instantly which makes it hard to zandatsu them because it bypasses the qtes that give you easy zandatsu. You gotta do it manually.
    It also makes it very easy to skip bosses too fast and again fail to get S rank.

Yes in that ripper is godlike.
    No in that if you don't learn to turn it on and off strategically you will, again, kill them too fast, get no zandatsu and fail to get S rank.

Raiden uses all his abilities because many of his command moves give super slow (x10) blade mode slowdown if you activate it just after hitting them.
    Or they sync really well with ripper.

Each of his weapons are good for different fights and are clear winners in those fights, but all of them are useful in different fights so you use all of them.

So no I wouldn't say he's restricted overall, but there's absolutely an optimum way or path to clear each fight, and what that optimum path is changes depending on the fight.

A good example: you have to learn to instant zandatsu all basic enemies, but more than that, you have to be able to kill multiple at the same time. Which means using the x10 slow mo command moves to setup groups of weak enemies so you get plenty of time to chop out their juicy bits and grab them all at once. Which one is best to use depends on the situation.
    But, fundamentally, you'll be blade moding a whole shit ton of enemies all the time, because comboing enemies you can instant kill is pointless and the time limits discourage it. You just choose how you massacre them.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    boy Rodin does not fuck around, huh

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Just finished Bayonetta 2

The last thing I expected from this game was emotional character moments

That was an improvement on the first game in just about every imaginable way

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    It's the lowest risk purchase imaginable

I already know The Last of Us and Tomb Raider are awesome, because I played them

Now you're telling me they can look way nicer and with a bunch of DLC added in?

Don't mind if I do

Wait. Are you implying you haven't played Sleeping Dogs?

Get on that.

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    So I picked up DmC in the Steam sale. This is pretty good so far!

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    So I bought Devil May Cry 4 on the Steam sale and started it up just now

So I start off the game fighting Dante? That's bad!

But I'm some kind of younger dude who looks a lot like the sons of Sparda and also has the Devil Hand

Well all right then!

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    It feels weird, though, in that I've only played one DMC before (DMC3 Special Edition some years ago) and the movement isn't what I'm used to

Nero's run isn't anything to write home about, and he doesn't rush toward enemies with his melee attack

I need to unlock the stinger stat

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    Nero's stinger is called streak, but the usual gameplan with Nero is to bring the enemies to you with the Devil Hand's snatch, rather than chasing after them.