As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Gotham] Gotham's brain is a bag full of cats

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Speaking of, we all knew that this would be handled as subtly as the rest of the show:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/11/13/gotham-harvey-dent-plan/
    There’s a been a little criticism of villains on the show foreshadowing really heavily what they’ll become right out of the gate. Does your Dent have any obvious Two Face qualities? Like is there any coin flipping involved?

Oh yeah. It’s a facet of the television world. It’s important to speak to a larger audience and to speak to have these kind of [touchstones] because people have their minds in so many different shows. Definitely from the first scene you’ll see me flipping a coin.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Speaking of, we all knew that this would be handled as subtly as the rest of the show:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/11/13/gotham-harvey-dent-plan/
    There’s a been a little criticism of villains on the show foreshadowing really heavily what they’ll become right out of the gate. Does your Dent have any obvious Two Face qualities? Like is there any coin flipping involved?

Oh yeah. It’s a facet of the television world. It’s important to speak to a larger audience and to speak to have these kind of [touchstones] because people have their minds in so many different shows. Definitely from the first scene you’ll see me flipping a coin.

Yeah, they showed it in the preview last week during Sleepy Hollow. Thanks for the subtlety Gotham.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    I'll be waiting for someone to call Harvey "two-faced" or something like this lol.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    I'll be waiting for someone to call Harvey "two-faced" or something like this lol.

At some point his coin will get a scratch on one side.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    Maybe they'll go the animated series route and introduce Harvey and "Big Bad Harv" as a way to get 'Two-Face' in before he officially shows up.

I hope not. :(

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Ads during football yesterday had him pretty ragey.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    good to know lovecraft was a big part of the arkham deal.

hehehehehe

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Found the Bruce Wayne sub-plot intriguing. I felt it was more enjoyable to watch than Gordon's a-plot. Penguin's scenes were delightful.
    Especially when he visited Fish's 'secret weapon.'
    This show is exceptionally bad at whatever those shots are called that are cliffhangers on breaks. Dent was as disappointed as I thought he'd be.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Man, they ned to tell the guy playing Dent to tone it down. He's painful to watch.

• Options
    God dammit Barbara. You had one job. One job.

And that was to leave for good.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    This week in adventures in bad screenwriting:
    -Why is Selina so bizarrely mercurial? Who wouldn't be happy to get to stay in a mansion? Is she lying to Bruce or herself about her mother? Why bother with the "Have you ever kissed a girl?" conversation when it would have been sweeter to just bring it up naturally in the food fight scene? How hard would it have been to shoot that scene to emphasize Alfred seeing Bruce happy for the first time since his parents died? And why the construction of the bookend scenes as "Gordon is told about a problem, does nothing, the problem solves itself" and "Gordon happens to check in" instead of Alfred deliberately choosing to call him? Is it because every character on the show has to be utterly passive?

-"Detectives, do you like video games? I love video games. They're so challenging. I found this evidence, here."
    "What... what does this evidence have to do with video games, Ed?"
    "I like video games."
    "Did your mother ever have any children that lived, Ed?"

-"You, Russian thug that I hired to rob my own mob boss who would kill me if he knew. Let's have a conversation in the middle of the street so that I can give you the keys to a vehicle, a task which could have been done by my head minion, who is in fact standing right here."
    "Uh--"
    "So you remember why I hired you, right? To steal all the money."
    "Yes, you said that when you hired me."
    "This is a great job that you should take on for these reasons."
    "We--we're like several days into the job. We already agreed to this."
    "I just wanted to tell you both: good luck. We're all counting on you."
    "I already knew all that."
    "I just wanted to tell you both--"
    "Jesus Christ, Fish."

-"Hey, the bombs worked! The vault is open! Looks like your role in this job is over, leaving you as nothing more than a witness and liability. So, you know, get in the van and we'll release you later unharmed."

-"What happened to the bomber, Bullock?"
    "Oh, he's going to Arkham with the rest of the mentally ill at Blackgate."
    "Gee, that sucks. How did you find out?"
    "I read the script and there's a whole montage that explains it later."
    "Then why did we need to have this conversation?"
    "Hell if I know, I just work here."

-"You know what I'm going to say, Detectives. Go do it."
    "Remind me again why your job exists, Essen?"

-"Dear Jim, I want to be honest and clear. I'm too scared to stay in Gotham, so I'm leaving my giant penthouse apartment and you may never hear from me again. Feel free to keep staying at my sweet pad indefinitely. PS: I'm totally not fucking Montoya. - Barbara"
    "Oh, come on, I thought the Mayor put all the crazies in Arkham."

-"What if he had guessed wrong, Dent? You would have sent the kid to jail?"
    "Usually they don't."
    "So what you're saying is--"
    "Yes. Yes, I would have."

-"Hey, Lovecraft, guess what? I'm going to bring charges against you. You'd better confess right now before I bring down those charges. Booga booga!"
    "Okay, well, charge me so I can see the actual evidence against me and decide then if I'd like to take a deal.
    "Shit. Teens always call heads, but shady industrialists call your bluffs. I got nothing. I'd better scream at him, because I'm mentally ill or something. That also explains why I always stand with half my face in the shadows, even when everybody else in the room is lit evenly on both sides of their face."

-"Hah! I, Penguin, have discovered that you are spying on Falcone!"
    "What--what are you going to do?"
    "I'm going to tell him, obviously."
    "No, please don't!"
    "Hah! Alright, I won't tell him... on one condition."
    "What is it?"
    "You have to keep doing what you've been doing and be just as secret about it as you always have been."
    "...what?"

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Goddamit! not only is Barbara an awful character, but the fucking subplot with:
    Montoya/Gordon love triangle is ruining two characters that should have been good. It had made Montoya look like a stalkery bitch. Who now gets rewarded for being a stalkery bitch. It makes Gordon look stupid for loving her and it makes enemies of Montoya and Gordon.

I mean they had a great excuse to drop this subplot a few weeks ago with Montoya coming clean to Gordon about her previous feelings for Barbara. Now they are dragging it back up again. For what? Cheap drama and a ratings stunt lesbian kiss?

Montoya is an awesome character in the comics and animated series. To see her reduced to this hurts.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Making Renee the jealous lover is just a terrible decision.

Considering how much they're making these characters like their future versions, it's weird how different they've made Montoya. They're making her out to be a snobbish "special" police officer who looks down on all the other cops but she's always been portrayed as a down to earth cop who's really tough and is always in the middle of the action. All the way back in Batman: TAS when Montoya was created, she was close to the action and kicking ass.

2czeky8.png

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Comic-Montoya and then some Gordon/Barbara
    Montoya is kind of stalkerish in the comics with her exes. When she was spiraling downward (after Gordon left and pre-Question) she'd often get wasted and find her girlfriend, and pick a fight with her. After she became The Question, and the Batwoman was introduced, the two of them would go back and forth, mostly because Kate was still mostly in the closet.

That said, the way the show is handling her is still a few feet below that, and it's actively impeding the story. I guess since Gordon isn't the one that will stray to break up the relationship, Barbara will be instead. I guess that means Gordon's going to be the one that bugs out to Chicago with their son.

At least the Selina-Bruce stuff wasn't bad.

sig.gif
  • Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Why, Show, why?!
    You could've just had Barbara go off and leave for a good reason. Now she's back and taking up airtime with a bad plot about her getting back with her lesbian lover? Come on.

The Selina/Bruce interactions were actually quite good. I was surprised by that. I did think the background music was too overdone and was distracting during a lot of the scenes.

And yeah, the Harvey Dent plan to take down Lovecraft was laughable.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Is it a DC-required thing that these shows have to have a female 'lead' who soaks up 50-80% of the hatred?
    By my reckoning we've had Lana, Laurel, Iris, and Barbara.
    All friends/girlfriends/crushes of the main character, all kept too out of the loop to be useful in any way, their lives become a countdown to the next time they get held hostage or do something stupid to move the plot along. Need someone to do something that screws up the carefully laid plans of the protagonist? Job done.
    (Okay, Iris hasn't gotten that far yet, but I can see it coming)
    I'm thinking that maybe it's a part of the character design, and they should just drop the idea in future.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Man, people keep hating on Iris.

There has been no reason to hate Iris yet. (It's CW so it'll happen, but so far her character has been fine.)

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    I got a good laugh when I realized the ring tone for the cell phone bomb was this:

And for those of us who don't read that many comics, who is Lovecraft?

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Man, people keep hating on Iris.

There has been no reason to hate Iris yet. (It's CW so it'll happen, but so far her character has been fine.)

It's not really hate on her, more resignation. We've seen the character type in these shows before, and we've come to expect horribleness.
    Expectations that Barbara has helped to encourage.

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    My wife really loves this show for unknown reasons even to her. I was starting to get into it after the last two episodes and then this episode happened. Can a show be recast midway through a season? I feel that would help a lot. Dent was so amazingly awful in that one scene that I see him ruining a lot of episodes later on. When you completely blow the foreshadow scene of where your character is going it's time to just try and find another gig.

Barbara needs to be gone. Everything about her is awful top to bottom. Let her die sooner just to help the rest of us out.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »
    I got a good laugh when I realized the ring tone for the cell phone bomb was this:

And for those of us who don't read that many comics, who is Lovecraft?
    Not much, technically. Spoilered anyway.
    Lovecraft doesn't have anything to do with Batman per se. It's just a nod because Arkham Asylum is well known, who's name probably came from Arkham, a town in Lovecraft's stories. So the TV writers probably decided to have a bit of fun.

That said, Lovecraft (the Gotham character) owns some chemical companies, which might come into play later with Big Bad Harv (instead of Maroni being the culprit)

sig.gif
  • Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Its mostly a nod to HP lovecraft in regards to places named arkham.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    I had to like quadruple check to make sure this wasn't sourced to The Onion.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    VorpalVorpal Registered User regular
    I really love this show, although the characters are very hit or miss. Gordon is good, the more I see of Harvey the more I like him, selina/Bruce are good, there is something missing in the Barbara/Montoya angle, Fish is great, Penguin is excellent, Nigma is terrible. It is nice to see a preview of so many batman villains but many of them are handled with a complete lack of subtlety.

steam_sig.png
    PSN: Vorpallion Twitch: Vorpallion
  • Options
    Finally watched this weeks episode.

All I can say is ugh, blech, and yuck.

Penguin's story was awesome as always. Bruce and Selina were pointless. And for the love of god, get Barbara out of the show! Also stop ruining Montoya! She is one of the most fun characters from the comic and even the animated series made her awesome. Why has she been written as this horrible, hateful, vindictive, jealous person in this show? God and Barbara is a horrible character and the actress is terrible.

Penguin, you keep being awesome. I'm only watching the show right now to see how your story ends. Ok?

Also Bullock. He's awesome too.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    So much hate for Harvey.

Though I'm beginning to understand this show a bit better, they are trying to cross the grimness of the Nolan Batverse with the campiness of the Adam West 60's batverse. That's why so many characters have shit dialogue and there is no subtlety to anything.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    Harvey Bullock is the character TV needs. Barbara is the character TV deserves.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    My bad, meant Harvey Dent. Not sure if it was the actor, the director, or the writers, but it was Barbara levels of bad.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Why are there so many Harvey's on this show?

At some point, I'm expecting Steve Harvey to make an appearance.

• Options
    Why are there so many Harvey's on this show?

At some point, I'm expecting Steve Harvey to make an appearance.

Harvey Fierstein should make a cameo.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    I had to like quadruple check to make sure this wasn't sourced to The Onion.

I've always wanted to see a sperm character.

Maybe we'll get a "Look Who's Talking" scene.

Sperm: but everyone calls me "Robin."

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Mego Thor wrote: »

Barbara deserves better than being eye candy who would think Harmony was a genius.

238px-HarmonyKendall.jpg

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    She's not even eye candy now. Get her out!

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    I had thought that the
    Sweeps Week Lesbian Kiss
    was a thing of the past. I should go check my old TVTropes article and see if its been updated yet. I just prefer not to go there anymore...

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Mego Thor wrote: »

Barbara deserves better than being eye candy who would think Harmony was a genius.

238px-HarmonyKendall.jpg

Don't be dissing on Harmony. She almost survived 3 years of Sunnydale High and survived the following 5 years as a Vampire in Sunnydale and LA while being in close proximity to both Buffy and Angel.

She is proof that Blond and Stupid does not mean Barbara levels of Blond and Stupid.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    Harmony was made useful once everyone started to plan for her to be incompetent / treacherous.
    So that's what they need to do with Barbara. Just tell her not to do exactly what you want her to do.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Harmony was made useful once everyone started to plan for her to be incompetent / treacherous.
    So that's what they need to do with Barbara. Just tell her not to do exactly what you want her to do.

Me: "Barbara, please don't go away forever and die!"
    Barbara: "Oh yeah? How would you like it if I went away for-- hey, wait a minute..."

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    I finally caught up with the last two episodes.

Selina... ug!

At first, I was indifferent, but that smug look she had on her face when she was caught and then asked for Gordon just made me want to pray for her death. Hey! Quit robbing people in broad daylight you stupid git! Then maybe you won't have to constantly play your only card with the police! Her street-wise, tough-talking punk attitude with a heart of gold is starting to wear thin. Though, I never really liked her in the the animated series, movies, or Arkham games either. I suppose that says something about me. My wife likes her though.

Looks like we're dealing with Big Bad Harvey, which is cool I guess. But I personally like the corrupted White-Knight Harvey.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Emissary42Emissary42 Registered User regular
    Based on the teaser for the next episode, I will be moderately surprised if Bruce does not have a sudden and permanently traumatizing run-in with winged nocturnal mammals in the next episode. The setup for it is too perfect.

• Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    Emissary42 wrote: »
    Based on the teaser for the next episode, I will be moderately surprised if Bruce does not have a sudden and permanently traumatizing run-in with winged nocturnal mammals in the next episode. The setup for it is too perfect.

batman_418x296.jpg