As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DZC] Dropzone Commander 1.1 - Dropfleet Commander is Out!

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Well if you get commander level or above you could play yourself :P

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I mean. I prefer Shaltari and PHR to the others anyway. By that logic I should pledge at Commodore level and gift one of the starters. But money.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Well you could get captain and a bolt on, thought that's not terribly economical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaTmNxQ_FM0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6AIfMdJmxk

Edit: At this point I'm pretty sure the kickstarter is over 500k Euros. Hooray!

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    NoughtNought Registered User regular
    Over £500.000 yep.

Nearing £550.000 actually. Really hope it doesn't break that. Need a reason not to spend money on the 2-up PHR Cruiser :)

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • Options
    MagoMago SwedenRegistered User regular
    I'm REALLY tempted, but it's also going to be a huge chunk of money on a game I haven't played yet. I promised never to do that after the Dystopian Wars incident...

Trying to paint stuff since 1995.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Depending on when I come home tonight I might go for the Commander pledge. If I read it right you get 4 UCM cruisers, 4 Scourge cruisers, 1 PHR cruiser, 1 Shaltari cruiser, 8 UCM frigates, 8 Scourge frigates, 4 PHR frigates and 4 Shaltari frigates, whicht should be enough to at least test out how all the fleets play.

Commodore is tempting with a total of 20 (battle)cruisers and 36 frigates, but thats a lot of money and models for a game I don't actually know.

honovere on
  • Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    I went Commodore, because it is a royal sampler and gives my group the ability to try everything/

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Commodore (will be using the two starters for Shaltari and PHR), all 5 Battlecruisers (using a bolt on) and the whole mess of free cruisers and frigates here.

Also getting the launch assets and considering adding the last day shirt.

• Options
    Sadly nothing, because I only came home fro work right around midnight. Screw overtime.

• Options
    honovere wrote: »
    Sadly nothing, because I only came home fro work right around midnight. Screw overtime.

That sucks. Maybe they'll do a late comers thing.

Also I really like the free Kickstarter shirt. I think it's like the coolest one.

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    I wasn't home for a few days, so my baseline commodore pledge went through. Whenever the manager goes up I'll probably bolt-on the last battlecruiser to have "the everything."
    Pretty sure my grand plan is to have it and paint them and either trade or sell the fleets I'm not interested in after giving it some plays.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Seems my brother got sick of my going back and forth on starting this game because he gave me a plastic Scourge starter for Christmas. Already built the thing. Now I'm trying to hunt down an extra Scourge APC so I can buy a resin dropship and a pack of some kind of infantry.

About the infantry, holy shit are the plastic infantry terrible. And I don't know why. The metal infantry would have cast pretty well in plastic. There was no reason to redesign them so terribly.

To round out to 1000pts, I think I'll add:
    Marauder dropship with a pair of Slayer heavy tanks, with Razorworms
    Desolator
    Pair of Corairs

I think I'm going to try their official scheme. I like the metal with heat stress look it's got going on. They're got a cool tutorial on how to do it with washes.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Yeah the plastic infantry are pretty bad.

As far as infantry go, I'd suggest Destroyers as they are incredibly resilient and generally require bringing down a building or catching them in their transport to kill them.

• Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Yeah, Murder Gorillas are amazing. Put them in an Invader and put them in a building that's occupied by your enemy.

Only the apes leave alive.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Yeah I was thinking of Destroyers. But would they be better in Intruders than APCs and a Marauder?

• Options
    TBH, everything is better in light dropships vs medium dropships+APCs. Your Warriors, for example, could do more searching for objectives or hold more buildings as 3 squads of 2 bases than 2 squads of 3 bases.

The only time I'd really advocate using APCs in the current meta would be if the squad has to be in them (like the UCM mortar and flak teams).

• Options
    Eh it's only my brother and I playing so I'm not concerned about being competitive. But I'll put the destroyers in light dropships for some variety and keep the Warriors in their apcs.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Destroyers in light dropships?

I hope you enjoy having your brother call you an asshole.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    I'm sure he'll find something for me to call him an asshole.

Either that, or if it turns out being lolpowerful, I might just swap the Destoryers into a Marauder and APCs and throw the normal Warriors into light dropships.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    A great thing about DZC is that it rarely feels like 'this unit is shit' and more often feels like 'I am not using this unit correctly'.

That is the mark of a well-made set of rules in my book.

• Options
    Good to hear that. One of my biggest fears going into a new game is the balance since I was so royally screwed over by GW with my Tyranids. Infinity really spoiled me with balance, and Malifaux 2E turned out to be super well balanced as well. So yeah, glad to hear DZC is as well.

• Options
    Hawk is generally good about "fixing" units that are considered bad (or too good).

• Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Yeah. The only real "this is shit" argument to be had is wether or not a particular faction fits your play style or not.
    Destroyers in light dropships?

I hope you enjoy having your brother call you an asshole.
    Don't hate on my Murder Magillas, they never do anything useful against your UCM.

Extreaminatus on
  • Options
    It's more broad, but I did read some interesting suggestions that UCM has tournament-worthiness issues due to a lack of effective demolitions and CQC compared to everyone else.
    Still, if that's the worst you can front on the game it's probably going quite well.

• Options
    edited December 2015
    Nah, UCM arguably has the best demo in the game. It just happens to be so good and flexible (good demo tends to be good AT) that UCM tends to rely more heavily on it rather than their Praetorians or Fireblades.

Which means when it's successful, there's a good chance that the objective will be lost anyway.

Nobody on
  • Options
    For those of you who had it go to your spam filters and weren't a part of the Dropfleet group, pledge manager got emailed out today.

• Options
    I'm getting so much stuff, you guys.

I stopped paying attention months ago.

I had no idea.

• Options
    I picked up a Scourge pin in addition to the truckload of shit I'll be getting.

• Options
    I'm tempted to get a Shaltari bolt on fleet, or one of the Battlecruisers. Don't know which Battlecruiser I'd want though.

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    So I bought a bunch of models for this when it came out, then nobody wanted to play it in my local area.

All change now though! There's a dropzone leauge starting representing the battle for Eden prime! So I actually get to play this, hurrah!

Bonus points because leauge week one is going to be run by Hawk themselves and the rumour is they might be bringing drop fleet so hopefully in about a fortnights time I might of played it.

• Options
    Okay so I think I'm going to get some of the Battlecruisers, now I just need to decide if I want to get the UCM and Scourge ones only or if I should get the other two. Ordinarily I'd hold off but Kickstart Exclusive is well, exclusive. If I get them all it would be like 80$ which is a lot.

• Options
    We're up to 4 players now at my LGS, unfortunately 3 of us are UCM and the holdout is PHR that can only field a skirmish sized army. I need to work on my Resistance, but it's too cold to prime stuff and I'm still waiting for my foam to come in.

• Options
    For anyone who backed DFC, the pledge manger is up but a lot of people (myself included) didn't see the email because it went into spam. Make sure to check that if you weren't aware. It's one of the better setup ones so far IMO.

I filled out my commodore pledge with each faction and added on one extra battlecruiser so I could get all 5 (I wouldn't have cared except stupid two UCM ones when I want to play UCM :P ). This is all motivating me to paint the rest of the DZC starter I have, so it's a good system. :)

• Options
    Went to a local DZC tournament today. Didn't come in last place, but holy shit I am bad at this game.

Or maybe double Ferrum/PHR Everything is just too good.

• Options
    So to cap off our leauge Hawk ran a tournament at my FLGS store today.

I came second nabbing myself some swag including a dropfleet ship. I'll post some pics later as they had a scaled up UCM cruiser (about 2 feet long)

• Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    Went to a local DZC tournament today. Didn't come in last place, but holy shit I am bad at this game.

but did you at least feel like after looking back over your games you had a chance to win had you done a few differnt things? every time i have played Dropzone I always felt like i was in the game even if i wasn't doing well.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    I finally settled on getting the battlecruisers for the UCM and Scourge as add-ons. I wanted to get all four since they're KS exclusive but I couldn't justify spending the extra 40$ to myself since I won't even have Shaltari or PHR fleets, and probably won't for awhile.

• Options
    Draeven wrote: »

but did you at least feel like after looking back over your games you had a chance to win had you done a few differnt things? every time i have played Dropzone I always felt like i was in the game even if i wasn't doing well.

Oh hell no. My list was super outclassed against double Ferrum and PHR infantry.

• Options
    Both those things are pretty easy to deal with. There both very expensive and are hard countered by much cheaper options. Ferrums die real easy to things with long reach and odd angles of attack like Cobras, free riders, scourge tanks, fast movers and so on. There also rubbish in focal point are table area control scenarios.

PHR infantry die the same way all other infrantry does. Nuke the building from orbit. Yeah sirens get dodges from masonry but most lists can put enough damage on a building with focus fire that it really doesn't matter. Elite infantry also lose super hard against blobs of legionnaires because they just can't chew through the DP they have. Elite infantry also get exponentially worse for each DP they lose.